PDA

View Full Version : Migrated Legacy Campaign from FGC no longer loading

ReelaK
February 29th, 2020, 16:38
Over the last several weeks I've been working to migrate my legacy campaign over from FGC to FGU. Up to 2/21, everything has been working fine. I was able to migrate everything, create new LOS mappings for modules, my players were able to connect and play, etc. I didn't go into the campaign again until late yesterday 2/28. Now when I try to launch my campaign, the FGU client just remains indefinitely at the loading screen. On the chance I had broken something within my campaign, I re-migrated my campaign from FGC, but it wouldn't load. It seems some change in the updates between 2/21 - 2/28 has broken compatibility with this legacy campaign.

Reproducable. Ruleset
Yes. 100% reproducible and cannot work around. Only happens with this migrated campaign. Was working before, but now is not. Other migrated campaigns work. Starting a new campaign works. 5E ruleset. No extensions loaded.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Migrate old FGC campaign to FGU
2. Try to launch the campaign

Note the FGU client goes to the launch screen and remains, never exit or reaching the table top.

Console.log information
There isn't much in the console log:
[2/29/2020 10:06:51 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[2/29/2020 10:07:01 AM] Daily session backup created.
[2/29/2020 10:07:01 AM] Starting private server mode. [(10.0.0.159:1802) (fe80::3890:5b3e:b599:6351:1802)]
[2/29/2020 10:07:01 AM] Game server started. [10.0.0.159:1802]
[2/29/2020 10:07:01 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
[2/29/2020 10:07:01 AM] Tabletop scene starting.

Operating System
Windows 10.

Is Campaign New or Migrated
Migrated.

What Modules do you have Loaded/ Are any not from Smiteworks
Yes, in this campaign I have 25 modules open which include the 5E source modules, Several 5E adventures and source books, custom tokens, 3rd party adventure modules, and and my own custom modules created with FGC. I can provide data from campaign if needed for review.

Zacchaeus
February 29th, 2020, 17:24
Does migrating the campaign into a new campaign work?

StoryWeaver
February 29th, 2020, 17:59
Option 1

Rename/temporarily move/delete the campaign module state file.

data/campaigns/your campaign name/modulestate.xml

This will revert your campaign to reset to no loaded modules and should only load the db.xml file, and create a new fresh campaign configuration file if memory serves.

You can then manually load in the modules again.

Option 2

Other things you could do would be to backup the db.xml file, and keep it safe.
Then start deleting sections from the original to find where, if that is causing the issues.

This does of course require some understanding of the layout of it. But in laymans terms, xml files are broken down into sections, with opening and closing brackets with the section name between, defining its contents.

For example:

<characters>

<character>
<name>a characters name</name>
</character>

<character>
<name>another characters name</name>
</character>

</characters>

So by using a code text editor, like visual studio code for example, you can close these brackets, and delete sections to find where the error lies.
Fix or delete the error, the load up again and re-enter whatever data was corrupt.

Usually FGU will give you an error if there's an issue with the xml though. So trying with no loaded modules as above is probably where I'd start.

Option 3

If all else fails setting up a new campaign and manually moving images and entries and characters would always be an option. Shouldn't take more than and hour or two for most games. You can keep both FGU and FGC open side by side. That way you can copy and paste between the two. Characters can be exported and imported. Images copied over to the campaign folder then relinked. Portraits and tokens copied over to their folders and relinked.

I've copied a few campaigns over directly and moved some. Most work directly or after a few tweaks here and there.

ReelaK
February 29th, 2020, 21:12
Thanks Zacchaeus and Styrmir. I've spent the last few hours creating a new campaign and migrating one file at a time from the "Bad" campaign to the new one in hopes of isolating where the fault was happening. Be damned if I wasn't able to move everything; db.xml, moduledb xmls, modulestate.xml, usersettings, custom images, etc. Everything worked just fine once moved into the new campaign.

As far as my campaign goes, I'm back up and running. I couldn't pinpoint where the bug is happening. I've saved off the files for the bad campaign if a developer would like to analyze them.

StoryWeaver
March 1st, 2020, 01:39
Good to hear you've got things working, it's a change worth making. Happy adventures in FGU!