PDA

View Full Version : LF3-4P for 5e Homebrew Friday Evenings US Eastern Time

thc1967
February 19th, 2020, 00:06
FG License: DM will have Ultimate. Yours can be free.
Game System: D&D 5th Edition

Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT-5)
Day of week and time: Friday, 7:30pm US Eastern
If new game, planned start date: Late March or early April
Planned Session Duration: We'll play 3-4 hours per session with a short break in the middle of that.
Planned Session Frequency: Weekly with breaks for holidays.
Term: Unknown duration. It's homebrew. It could go until the players become deities. It could crash & burn after a few sessions. We'll hope for the former and find out together.

Text or Voice: Voice required
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? Nope

Roleplay & Combat mix: It will be a mix that depends upon the combination of player preference and the encounters we run during each session.
Number of Players in game & needed: One committed, need ~4 more. We're all starting together.
Character starting level & equipment: First level, per PHB class gear, +100gp discretionary, setting tacks a few things on.
Character restrictions: The strongly worded guidelines include:

Abilities: 27 point buy with no more than one negative bonus before racial bonuses.
Race: Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, or Human, most of which are slightly modified from core materials.
Class: Any PHB except Sorceror & Warlock.
Alignment: LG, NG, CG, LN, N.
Background: Specific backgrounds to the campaign setting are available.
Skills: Additions specific to the campaign setting.
Party Make-Up: Some roles and capabilities are dictated by the campaign setting.

I could be convinced to step slightly out of bounds on some of these by a compelling concept that is relevant to the campaign setting presented by a keenly interested player.

Details of your scenario:
Homebrew setting tending towards dystopian fantasy.
At the start of the campaign, the party has been together for quite a while and has a specialized focus. Because of their history together, we expect the characters to work extremely well together and trust each other implicitly.
We come into the characters' lives as their situation is about to change radically, and probably not for the better.
I'll provide more information about the setting and adventure hook as we go through the process outlined below.

To Play
Fill out the questionnaire below and shoot it to me via PM or as a reply here.

The Questions
Are you at least 18 years old? (If not, stop here. Sorry, we won't accept minors into the game.)

What is your preferred name? This can be an alias or your character's name if you like.

What time zone are you located in?

Are you consistently available on Friday evenings between 7:30 and 11:30 Eastern to game? Over the course of three months, how many sessions do you think you would need to miss, outside of holiday weekends?

Are you competent with the player features of the Fantasy Grounds platform, or will you commit to attending an FGU player intro course before our first gaming session?

Tell us a bit about your role-playing experience. Please describe one good and one bad experience you have had.

Describe what you enjoy most about table-top RPG's or what you look forward to most when you play.

Describe the character concept you have in mind, or what you typically like to play.

Have you gamed with a poor DM? What did they do to make them a poor DM?

How do you / would you handle a disagreement with the DM regarding a ruling?

Are you a DM? If so, how frequently do you DM and what interests you in being a player?

What are your initial thoughts or questions about the campaign?

That's it. Thanks & hope to see you in-game!

thc1967
February 21st, 2020, 01:46
Let's describe the setting a bit more.

I mentioned Dystopian fantasy. All of the nations in the known world are monarchies. There is a noble / ruling class that is relatively small. There is a serf / worker class that is incredibly large. There is a military / middle class that is not very large, but large enough to protect the noble class from uprisings the serf / worker class might think to start. Most of the time. But not always.

This might sound political. That is one path the adventurers may choose to take. You may choose to intertwine yourselves with the political machinations of the world, and to thereby alter the outcome in the direction you wish.

But there are other paths the adventurers may take, as well.

Rather than immersing yourself in political gamesmanship, you may choose to participate in outright war. As with the political game, you may choose the side you want to support and alter the outcome in its favor.

Throughout both of these threads is plenty of opportunity to adventure, explore, solve mysteries, gain power, grow wealthy, and become famous or infamous.

Finally, there is the anti-political, anti-war path in which the adventurers discard the political turmoil that a Dystopian fantasy world offers and forge their own path to slaughter the beings they determine are evil and loot their treasures. That is, until political turmoil or war force them to act, anyway.

The party starts as a pre-formed group with a specific focus. They start with somewhat more capability than your typical group of first-level adventurers possesses. They will be put to decisions right from the first session that ultimately will affect the lives of tens of millions of sentient beings in the world. They will, through smart play and perhaps a little bit of luck, determine the fates of men who would be kings and women who would be queens. If they survive long enough, they may eventually choose to save or slay deities.

GodsProxy
February 21st, 2020, 02:37
Almost 33

Dan, Character name TBD

EST

I am available. During the summer months I may have to take the odd Friday off for Family vacations. I would provide a few weeks warning.

I am familiar with FG

I've played DND since I was a teen. I did take a few(10) years off after college but have been back to playing for about a year now.
Good experiences. Plenty. Lots of great RP moments, combat moments and everything in between that have created great friendships.
I have had a few bad experiences. One game that I dropped out of had a player that would work to get his character killed every 2-3 sessions because he could never settle on a concept. Despite the party wanting the player removed because it was ruining the game the DM refused.

I love the social environments that the game fosters and the awesome people you get to experience. I also enjoy the open world aspect where the sky is the limit.

Character Concept: Circle of the Land Dwarf Druid Falkrest GraniteJaw. Falkrest coming into his middle ages having spent most of his youth within the confines of his mountains wants the opportunity to explore, adventure and develop his abilities which have waned over the years of minimal use. Falkrest has a very poor understanding of the "social contract" spending so much time in isolation.

I have had one DM(See above) that refused to remove a problem player that resulted in the campaign imploding. I don't really believe their are poor DM's, its more that sometimes a players style does not mesh with the DM.

If a character is not at risk or a rule was applied incorrectly that would not have an adverse affect on the game I would bring it up after politely and cite a reference. DND is full or rules and interactions that can become confused or misunderstood and its typically not a big deal and should be addressed after play as to not disrupt the flow.

I am a DM, I run a game every Tuesday night. I absolutely love DM'ing but I miss the other side of the veil and the social interactions afforded to players that DM's don't typically get to partake in.

I would love to see the documents you have to get a better understanding of the setting so I could work on a less generic concept.

thc1967
February 21st, 2020, 10:43
I would love to see the documents you have to get a better understanding of the setting so I could work on a less generic concept.

Ask and ye shall receive. Here's a link to the Adventure Hook document. It's a work in progress but offers the gist of things.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JR5G2ZcIgyQt9hSQjBeoJdFOzy2dfZz6r8DDNFVaJGE/edit?usp=sharing

yodazong
February 22nd, 2020, 21:51
looks fun would this be compatible for new players?

SPWARLOCK
February 23rd, 2020, 17:54
Are you at least 18 years old? (If not, stop here. Sorry, we won't accept minors into the game.)

Im 30 yrs old.

What is your preferred name? This can be an alias or your character's name if you like.

Real name is Cody not sure on character name.

What time zone are you located in?Eastern

Are you consistently available on Friday evenings between 7:30 and 11:30 Eastern to game? Over the course of three months, how many sessions do you think you would need to miss, outside of holiday weekends?

yes I'm available most week day evenings including Fridays.

Are you competent with the player features of the Fantasy Grounds platform, or will you commit to attending an FGU player intro course before our first gaming session?

im new to this but I will definitely take any courses required.

Tell us a bit about your role-playing experience. Please describe one good and one bad experience you have had.

I have been interested in D&D for severals years but have only played a few sessions on Roll20...best experience was the first time the ranger I was playing got a critical hit on a goblin and killed him with an arrow.Defintiley more exciting than I anticipated since it was my first session.A native experience would definitely be a group I joined and got super into frequently never showed up and we had to disband :(

Describe what you enjoy most about table-top RPG's or what you look forward to most when you play.

I love the dice rolling and the chance aspect.You never know ways around the corner and thats awesome!

Describe the character concept you have in mind, or what you typically like to play.

I'm interested in playing a wizard nerdy type of elf..I love spells and magic

Have you gamed with a poor DM? What did they do to make them a poor DM?

no and hopefully won't anytime soon

How do you / would you handle a disagreement with the DM regarding a ruling?

I would be ok...maybe a little frustrated but the DM is the ref.

Are you a DM? If so, how frequently do you DM and what interests you in being a player?

no

What are your initial thoughts or questions about the campaign?

my main question is are you willing to put up with someone who's new to all this? I'm a fast learner and willing to take any and all advice.Hopefully you still have room :)

thc1967
February 23rd, 2020, 19:22
looks fun would this be compatible for new players?

It will be fine for new players to both D&D and Fantasy Grounds. I would ask players who are new to Fantasy Grounds to enroll in a Players' FGU class. They're free and there's plenty of time before we start in earnest. Knowing the tool helps immensely!

SPWARLOCK
February 23rd, 2020, 21:04
It will be fine for new players to both D&D and Fantasy Grounds. I would ask players who are new to Fantasy Grounds to enroll in a Players' FGU class. They're free and there's plenty of time before we start in earnest. Knowing the tool helps immensely!awesome! Which class would be best? I see they have D&D ones and ones for learning FG... which should I sign up for first or what would you recommend?

thc1967
February 23rd, 2020, 21:28
awesome! Which class would be best? I see they have D&D ones and ones for learning FG... which should I sign up for first or what would you recommend?

The FGU classes run on a schedule that can make them tough to catch so signing up sooner is probably better than later. You should sign up for a class even if you don't wind up playing in this campaign. It's very helpful to know the tool whenever you play!

SPWARLOCK
February 23rd, 2020, 21:51
The FGU classes run on a schedule that can make them tough to catch so signing up sooner is probably better than later. You should sign up for a class even if you don't wind up playing in this campaign. It's very helpful to know the tool whenever you play!

Thanks just signed up for a beginner class that touches on character creation and how to use Fantasy Grounds.:)