PDA

View Full Version : Module Export Broken

Nemesismmx
February 18th, 2020, 16:25
When Module is marked as ready only, exported xml has broken links.
Elements are put into <Reference> element, but links are still pointing to elements as in editable version. For example instead of reference.encounters.id-0001 it says encounter.id-0001

Moon Wizard
February 20th, 2020, 02:07
I just pushed a new Windows build that fixes this issue; the Mac build should be up by tomorrow.

Regards,
JPG

Tyrannosaurus VeX
March 1st, 2020, 10:27
I don't think this is the same error, especially since I updated today.

I exported a module with images from Unity, then loaded another table and loaded that module ... this is the error I was getting when trying to load those images.

https://i.imgur.com/jltTtjE.jpg

EDIT: Out of six images, only 3 work. I don't know why only those three either.

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2020, 10:49
Make sure that the images are in RGB and not CMYK format.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
March 1st, 2020, 11:13

All RGB 72px/inch 8 bits/channel.

EDIT: Don't know why ... tried re-exporting. But it works now.

Didn't do anything differently, just exported a 2nd time.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2020, 11:20
Is it just the ones with -- in the filename that fail?

Tyrannosaurus VeX
March 1st, 2020, 11:25
Is it just the ones with -- in the filename that fail?

No, they all had a double dash in them. Just some worked ... I re-exported, now it works.

Something went wrong during the first export. Not sure what.

pindercarl
March 1st, 2020, 19:34

It's always a good idea to use RGB vs. CMYK images, as there are ~25% smaller, support for CMYK images was added in the February 27 build.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
March 2nd, 2020, 07:47
Ok, I finally got the module to export correctly and open correctly in Unity ... but when I open the module in Classic, the images are blank grey squares.

At first, I thought it was because of the LOS stuff I added, but there were images that I didn't even touch in Unity ... what is going on here? Anyone know?

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2020, 12:23
I'm not aware of FGU -> FG Classic compatibility. You can go FG Classic -> FG Unity but not vice versa.

StoryWeaver
March 2nd, 2020, 12:47
Module exporting in FGU is only for FGU. Like Trenloe said above, there is not FGU -> FGC compatibility, only the other way around.

I've seen the same behavior for modules I've exported in FGU and tested in FGC.
The reason the images show up as grey squares is that FGC can not find the image, and is showing you a blank one. Possibly the image reference details in the FGU looks different in the db.xml from what FGC expects, so it can't locate the image resource.

FGU handles images differently from FGC. FGU uses a one to many relationship using the asset manager, where as FGC has a one to one relationship, where you add images directly for each module/campaign.
So it would not surprise me if image references are handled differently FGU for exported modules.

I'd suggest trying to run your games in FGU instead, besides some minor issues for the most parts here and there (have to be a little careful in the Asset manager still though to avoid freezing, do the heavy lifting before the session), things are working well.

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2020, 12:50
I'd suggest trying to run your games in FGU instead, besides some minor issues for the most parts here and there (have to be a little careful in the Asset manager still though to avoid freezing, do the heavy lifting before the session), things are working well.
Only run actual games in FGU if everyone playing is prepared to have something that could stop your game session in its tracks. Yes, some people are running games OK, but others are also reporting being unable to run games.

StoryWeaver
March 2nd, 2020, 12:54
Yes indeed, of course the pre-warning to your players and managing expectations should be included. We're still in beta after all so keep that in mind. And while it's not expected, do regular manual db.xml backups to safeguard from any db corruption during the beta. :)

The way I approached it was to try FGU, but if we experienced to many problems during the session, we'd fall back to FGC and try again the week after or so. So no harm either way, only the chance to get access to all the new features earlier on.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
March 2nd, 2020, 18:15
Module exporting in FGU is only for FGU. Like Trenloe said above, there is not FGU -> FGC compatibility, only the other way around.

Ahh, ok. I was just experimenting with adding LOS to maps in some of my modules. This means there will need to be a Unity version and a Classic version if I want LOS for Unity.

pollux
March 4th, 2020, 01:24

Ahh, ok. I was just experimenting with adding LOS to maps in some of my modules. This means there will need to be a Unity version and a Classic version if I want LOS for Unity.

Interesting comment, I'm sure I've seen Moon mention somewhere that FGC will ignore LoS annotations that LoS annotations are shipped with Smiteworks' own FGC-compatible modules.

That does leave an open question about tooling and workflows though, how is one expected to create an FGC-compatible module with LoS annotations if not by exporting it from FGU?!? The absolute most basic approach would be to have two campaigns, one in FGC with most stuff... and a different one in FGU just with maps and LoS annotations. Then export the main module from FGC and edit the module XML after export to add LoS annotations as copied from the XML of the FGU campaign. I speculate that Smiteworks must have some private tooling to help them inject LoS annotations into mods exported from FGC.

Moon Wizard
March 4th, 2020, 02:00
Modules will need to be created with FGC. Once created, you can open the module in FGU, create the LoS information, follow a procedure we will provide following release (may involve tool), and then add the XML files containing the LoS information into the module along side the image graphic files. There will be more information on this process after launch. We're using it with Zacchaeus in order to sound out the process on the 5E material.

Regards,
JPG