PDA

View Full Version : Locked in 30FPS?

Dr0W
February 14th, 2020, 15:20
Hi, I noticed that after an update my FGU was locked in 30 frames per second.

While I can imagine the reasoning behind this, I just want to make sure that it was an intended change and not just an oddity on my end.

celestian
February 14th, 2020, 15:32
Hi, I noticed that after an update my FGU was locked in 30 frames per second.

While I can imagine the reasoning behind this, I just want to make sure that it was an intended change and not just an oddity on my end.

That was intentional.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51772-FGU-Playtest-Updates&p=475551&viewfull=1#post475551

Dr0W
February 14th, 2020, 16:29
Ah, thanks. I looked for it there, but somehow I just skipped to the last update. My bad.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2020, 17:43
Yes, the problem was that the default frame rate was uncapped in Unity; which means that lower-end and laptop systems were being swamped trying to pump maximum frame rate. In reality, we really only needed about 30 fps, so we started with that number. We can adjust if we need to, but we'll need to be aware of impact on lower-end systems.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2020, 18:27
Makes me wonder if Unity allows the support of client side graphics settings...? Maybe each client could configure their own settings for frame rates, color depth...? Don't have any idea if it's possible, but occurred to me :)

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2020, 18:38
Probably; but no real need for it. We're not running an environment that needs high frame rates; and that just increases complexity/support considerations.

Cheers,
JPG

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2020, 20:28
Very true.

Dr0W
February 14th, 2020, 20:36
Indeed. We do not need very high frame rates, but 30fps seems pretty low to me. I understand that for now that memory usage and optimization are not a priority, once it is I would like very much to have it capped at least on 60fps.
For now I'd rather run on a low fps than melting one of my player's GPU, but I hope in the future we can get higher (not uncapped) frames per second.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2020, 20:42
Cinema movies are only 24fps (23.9....) and Television is 30fps. Seems sufficient to me :)

Dr0W
February 14th, 2020, 20:50
Well, maybe to you, not to me. I noticed it was on 30fps by simply moving a window around, it felt horrible.
FG Classic runs on 60fps (maybe more? My screen is 60hz, wouldn't know). People paid for an upgrade, not a downgrade. All those shiny effects were part of the deal, and I don't think people will want them on choppy 30 frames per second.

FGC feels smoother. FGU before the update was laggy, but still smooth. Now it's not laggy, but not smooth. I'd rather have it capped on 60fps.

Also: You can't compare movies. Pictures on movies are blurred when taken, so you don't feel it's choppy. For games they got this horrible thing called Motion Blur, to blur the movement so you feel it's less choppy. Also, nowadays movies are recorded on much higher FPS.

Dr0W
February 14th, 2020, 20:58
But then again, I completely agree with this being a makeshift solution for the high GPU consumption and general laggyness. I just hope it's not final and that we can get higher FPS on the final product, which I understand could take a long time.

celestian
February 14th, 2020, 21:35
Cinema movies are only 24fps (23.9....) and Television is 30fps. Seems sufficient to me :)

You can definitely tell a difference locking at 30 and say 60 on a system that can handle the resource needs.

I know there is no plans to add an option for release but it should be on the schedule down the road.

StoryWeaver
February 15th, 2020, 12:27
Hope so as well.
The smoothness on the screen for everything on the screen, from dice rolling, map animations, to dragging windows is effected (compare dragging a windows explorer window to a window in FGU to see what I mean).
A simple slide bar in the settings would suffice, as is the industry norm for such things.

CatDadCode
February 15th, 2020, 20:33
I also noticed the framerate lock based on moving windows around, so it's definitely noticeable. Not a deal-breaker or anything but it is pretty jarring.