PDA

View Full Version : PDF conversion to VTT - Licensing

ty2019
February 11th, 2020, 19:36
Hello,

I would like to begin work on converting some of the material for the Greyhawk series, and need to find out where I can get hold of the rules around TSR and their IP requirements? I loved playing in the Greyhawk setting as a kid, and thought I would help others experience that enjoyment via Fantasy Grounds. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

celestian
February 11th, 2020, 20:04
Hello,

I would like to begin work on converting some of the material for the Greyhawk series, and need to find out where I can get hold of the rules around TSR and their IP requirements? I loved playing in the Greyhawk setting as a kid, and thought I would help others experience that enjoyment via Fantasy Grounds. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Smiteworks has a license to use the AD&D content for FG. You'd need to speak with them regarding working on projects for those conversions.

Right now there is a restriction on converting "Settings". Greyhawk is not one of the allowed settings at this time. Adventures for the setting are ok to the best of my knowledge but the setting itself is not... I would have already begun work if so ;(

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2020, 21:55
Also be aware, you can convert anything for your personal use, but you would not be able to distribute (except to your play group via FG).

Your can also distribute some things non commercially via the Wizards Fan Content Policy. https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

The DMsGuild also has a license for distributing things, but it to restricts settings and does not allow Greyhawk distribution.

Talyn
February 11th, 2020, 22:47
Anything official needs to be done via SmiteWorks. Greyhawk-wise, I think WotC only cleared some of the products, a few of which are already in progress by approved DLC Developers. I don't have the list handy of what was approved and what was denied, however.

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2020, 22:51
@ty2019, to what end are you looking to convert the material? Personal use? The FG store? DMsG? Another website?