PDA

View Full Version : World Builder Extension

damned
February 8th, 2020, 15:54
This extension is being superseded by Player Agency
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54284-Player-Agency-Extension

This is a first release of a new extension to help you build and keep track of the places, groups and religions that bring your world to life.
Please test and share any feedback.

Key features.
Can flesh out places, groups and religions in the one tool. Each choice has different fields to fill out. Some fields are common to all.
All fields are formatted text fields and so will accept bold, italic and underline text as well as headings, bullet points tables and links (to items, npcs, maps, parcels, other World entries etc).
You can click the chat button to share the description straight to chat. This will strip almost all formatting due to chat window limitations.
Added a new PC Notes section that is similar to Description but is intended to store additional data the PCs want to attach to the record of the GM is sharing the records. This has the end to chat option and will also show for the PCs if there is any data present.
players can now append notes to the PC Notes section and each note will be tagged with that players name.
Compatible with all CoreRPG rulesets (dont use with MoreCore as it will be builtin to MoreCore shortly).
Free to use. If you wish to extend this please request permission directly.

Current Version 0.97 20200308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQtfKf2yD4

More to come.

damned
February 8th, 2020, 15:54
How to use.

World Builder Basic User Manual
https://www.diehard-gaming.com/worldbuilder/wbhelp.html

Wishlist
Edit PC Notes option for Players Done

damned
February 8th, 2020, 15:55
Known Issues.

Sharing record currently is not recognising gmvisibleonly - fixed 0.91
Issue with header in 5E default them.
Short descriptions may cause the chat frame to not load fully fixed 0.92
Edit function for PC Notes is a placeholder only fixed 0.95

Zacchaeus
February 8th, 2020, 16:21
Probably a good idea if you linked the extension :)

Valyar
February 8th, 2020, 17:26
And screenshots!

Merry_Mayhem
February 8th, 2020, 23:15
More to come.

Well, Damned did say More to come so guess we'll soon get the extension :)

H2Os
February 9th, 2020, 02:50
Looking forward to this.

damned
February 9th, 2020, 02:52
Uploaded now. This is the first release. Please share any feedback.

damned
February 9th, 2020, 08:23
Posted a new build that fixes the player visibility glitch.

Kelrugem
February 9th, 2020, 09:41
thank you very much :)

Zacchaeus
February 9th, 2020, 09:58
With the 5e theme the lock icon and close icons are awfy close together

And a suggestion. It would be useful to have a box for links other than images; I'm thinking of quests, items found, tables etc.

Edit: Oh, wait though. Only the description is shared so that would be of limited value to the players.

Merry_Mayhem
February 9th, 2020, 22:37
This is looking good so far, Damned.

damned
February 9th, 2020, 23:20
Added a new PC Notes section that is similar to Description but is intended to store additional data the PCs want to attach to the record of the GM is sharing the records. This has the end to chat option and will also show for the PCs if there is any data present. Please note the players will also see an Edit icon - this is something that Im still building (attempting) out.
Tweaked the Lock position.

Current Version 0.92 20200210

MacDork
February 10th, 2020, 11:47
Is there a means of exporting the World Builder data for use between multiple campaigns? Most of this information will be static for a given world, and it'd be nice to share both among my campaigns, but even with other DMs

damned
February 10th, 2020, 11:49
Is there a means of exporting the World Builder data for use between multiple campaigns? Most of this information will be static for a given world, and it'd be nice to share both among my campaigns, but even with other DMs

/export (or /author if you are using that highly recommended extension)
but dont share copyright material.

MacDork
February 10th, 2020, 12:29
Awesome, thanks. I've been running some adventures on the Sword Coast, so this will be a nice way for players to reference all of this information :)

H2Os
February 10th, 2020, 16:56
Is it possible to have a tab for GM notes that remain hidden if a part is shared with players?

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2020, 17:37
Is it possible to have a tab for GM notes that remain hidden if a part is shared with players?

The GM notes are hidden from the players.

damned
February 10th, 2020, 22:19
Only Description and PC Notes are shared to players.
PC Notes is experimental at this stage... working on something...

MacDork
February 12th, 2020, 13:02
Thanks for this -- it's really helpful and I'm going to enjoy using it.

I found a few issues using FGC Mac with default theme:

Rendering artifacts pointed out in the image
Corners don't quite match up.
The header overlaps left and right edges
The header doesn't line up at the top

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31577&stc=1&d=1581512245

damned
February 12th, 2020, 13:06
thanks MacDork

specifically the main issue occurs with the 5E default theme
the frame i will fix in the next release but the 5E one will have to wait until further down the track - for various reasons.
let me know any thoughts once you have started using it

damned
February 28th, 2020, 01:15
Hi guys,

Ive uploaded the next version of this tool.

Ive fixed some of the formatting but the default 5E theme still has some heading artitacts present.

The big change in this build is that players can append notes to the PC Notes field and these will update the master record.

Please note there is an issue here if two players try to edit the field at the same time. Im testing some options here.

The update will not affect any existing data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yQtfKf2yD4

MacDork
February 28th, 2020, 11:51
I love the idea of this extension, but having to re-type all the data that I see you've already done is a bummer. I know you have to comply with copyright limitations, so I'm not faulting you.

The thought of having all of this, well-organized, in a different module that I can re-use in different campaigns, is a huge help. Thank you for this!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 28th, 2020, 12:21
I thought it was a great extension, but I would like to know if with it I can set up trade in my city (taverns, blacksmiths, carpenters and so on) and more I will have the ability to allow my players to have their money automatically converted in the case of games with more than one type of nickname, will I be able to create services and items to be purchased by players at my tables and in doing so, have the item added and their money reduced?

damned
February 28th, 2020, 12:36
I thought it was a great extension, but I would like to know if with it I can set up trade in my city (taverns, blacksmiths, carpenters and so on) and more I will have the ability to allow my players to have their money automatically converted in the case of games with more than one type of nickname, will I be able to create services and items to be purchased by players at my tables and in doing so, have the item added and their money reduced?

There is no shop function and I have little interest in building one.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 28th, 2020, 15:31
Thanks Damned!

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 28th, 2020, 17:10

There is no shop function and I have little interest in building one.

I might be wrong, but since all the fields are formatted text fields that you can put links in, couldn't a person build their own parcel-shop?

That is, create an entry for a particular shop in a town as a location, then have links to negative-money parcels with items in them so that they player can drag over the link into their inventory and it automatically deducts 50gp and adds 1 healing potion at the same time?

I don't see why any additional work by damned would be needed.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 28th, 2020, 22:39
That's why I love the community, thanks to your idea I can have a trade and the negative value can be deducted from the total player, but after performing the tests I found that the negative values ​​don't work very well or I did something wrong.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 28th, 2020, 22:45
That's why I love the community, thanks to your idea I can have a trade and the negative value can be deducted from the total player, but after performing the tests I found that the negative values ​​don't work very well or I did something wrong.

The negative values don't automatically convert from one coin type to another. If the player doesn't have 50gp, but has 5pp ... for instance.

Beemanpat
February 28th, 2020, 23:26

So did it work if there was enough funds. I havent been able to get on and try this.

damned
February 28th, 2020, 23:56
I just did a quick test and that works Tyrannosaurus VeX

What I did was setup a new Place call Baxters Bazaar
and in the Description (player visible) I added:
Inventory
* Abacus (parcel)
* Acid Vial (parcel)
and then made the record Public
Players could drag these items (parcels) into their inventory and it will deduct the appropriate coin.

Things to note
It does seem like a lot of effort to setup.
It wont do any conversion between coin types
It will create the Coin Type if the Coin Type is not present and their is an unused slot on the PC sheet
It will make coins go negative if the cost is more than the available specific coin type
No way to limit how many items there are present
No easy way (without making new parcels) to make a shop more or less expensive

damned
February 29th, 2020, 00:07
Bayleron recently posted a module containing a bunch of 5E parcels.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53973-Equipment-Purchase-Drag-and-Drop

I suppose that if someone was to make the following it could/would be shareable.

1. Create a set of all 5E SRD equipment as Parcels with the negative coins to cover costs.
2. Put them in Category SRD Shop 100
3. Duplicate (maybe this could be done in the XML to be quicker) all items at 1.1x the cost
4. Put them in Category SRD Shop 110
5. Duplicate (maybe this could be done in the XML to be quicker) all items at 1.25x the cost
6. Put them in Category SRD Shop 125
7. Duplicate (maybe this could be done in the XML to be quicker) all items at 1.5x the cost
8. Put them in Category SRD Shop 150
9. Duplicate (maybe this could be done in the XML to be quicker) all items at 2x the cost
10. Put them in Category SRD Shop 200

Create a Store Template called Shop 100
and in the description do:
(heading)Inventory
(bold/underline)Armour
drag in Armour items from SRD Shop 100
(bold/underline)Equipment
drag in Armour items from SRD Shop 100
etc

Then duplicate it for Shop 110, Shop 125, Shop 150, Shop 200

Then export this as a Module called World Builder Generic Shop

And share it somewhere here and it would be a quick start way to setup a shop.

It could be a community project if a couple of people wanted to split the workload so as not to make the task too big.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 29th, 2020, 00:23
That's a great idea damned. I'm busy with other stuff though ... LOL

That said, it's also worth noting that I'm 99% sure that if you're using the 5e Coin Weight extension and players have money being carried elsewhere (on a pack animal, in bag of holding, etc), that is ... in the not carried box, it won't take money from that box either. So the players have to move coins from one box to the other to get it to do the math accurately too.

But it is a great idea to do a community general shop that could be then copied and modified for other shops. It would be great to have all the standard PHB stuff and maybe most of the potions, scrolls, and uncommon items from the other official books too. If I wasn't so busy with other commitments and projects, I would help.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 29th, 2020, 00:23
Thanks Damned!!

damned
February 29th, 2020, 00:25
I dont think you could do it for PHB items unless you released it on DMsGuild (hopefully for free or nominal cost but that would be up to whoever took on the project)
Otherwise to share here you would need to stick to SRD items and/or homebrew ones.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 29th, 2020, 00:38
I dont think you could do it for PHB items unless you released it on DMsGuild (hopefully for free or nominal cost but that would be up to whoever took on the project)
Otherwise to share here you would need to stick to SRD items and/or homebrew ones.

*facepalm"

Of course. I forgot momentarily :D

Beemanpat
February 29th, 2020, 00:45

Wonder if it would work well with this https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/300130
Not everyone has that I'm sure but when I get a chance I give it a try since I do.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
February 29th, 2020, 01:12
Wonder if it would work well with this https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/300130
Not everyone has that I'm sure but when I get a chance I give it a try since I do.

Yes, that would work for having all the parcels already made, but you'd still need to drag them all in and make a "generic store" with all the links. Once you do that, you'd definitely want to export that store entry alone so you can import it whenever needed to copy/paste/edit it for non-generic stores entries in World Builder.

Zandel
March 7th, 2020, 15:49
Is there a way to delete links once you add them in? For example I added an NPC to a place by mistake, seems like there is no way to remove them

damned
March 8th, 2020, 00:58
Like all formatted text fields the way to do this is to change the link back to text (ctrl+1) and then delete it

damned
March 8th, 2020, 06:51
New version with minor bug fixes uploaded.

Zandel
March 8th, 2020, 15:34
Thank you for creating this, I really like it. I have A couple of suggestions for it. Make an NPCs type where DMs and players could keep notes on specific NPCs. Add a field to the places type for maps. I am adding them in the location field, but having its own field would be nice. Add an encounters field so all the encounters for the place can be seen in one place. Thanks again for this great tool!

Zacchaeus
March 8th, 2020, 15:59
Thank you for creating this, I really like it. I have A couple of suggestions for it. Make an NPCs type where DMs and players could keep notes on specific NPCs. Add a field to the places type for maps. I am adding them in the location field, but having its own field would be nice. Add an encounters field so all the encounters for the place can be seen in one place. Thanks again for this great tool!

There is already a field for NPCs and also a field for Images and if you need to you could add encounters anywhere (although I'm not sue what the use case for this would be). Players can make notes on anything they like in the PC Notes field. So that's where they'd put stuff regarding any NPCs that they want to record information about. The DM can use the DM notes or the Major NPCs field to do the same.

Zandel
March 8th, 2020, 19:46
There is already a field for NPCs and also a field for Images and if you need to you could add encounters anywhere (although I'm not sue what the use case for this would be). Players can make notes on anything they like in the PC Notes field. So that's where they'd put stuff regarding any NPCs that they want to record information about. The DM can use the DM notes or the Major NPCs field to do the same.
There is a field for NPCs, but You can't easily correlate notes in it to a specific NPC if you have multiple NPCs in a place. Players that enter notes about an NPC would see them when looking at the place record, but if they met that NPC somewhere else they have no way to search for those notes by NPC name (At least that I know of). Encounters are less important, my use case is just to see them all in the place record, I know I can link a story element and have the encounters in the story element, but that's just 1 more window I have to open, just would add a little ease of use

Zacchaeus
March 8th, 2020, 19:54
There is a field for NPCs, but You can't easily correlate notes in it to a specific NPC if you have multiple NPCs in a place. Players that enter notes about an NPC would see them when looking at the place record, but if they met that NPC somewhere else they have no way to search for those notes by NPC name (At least that I know of). Encounters are less important, my use case is just to see them all in the place record, I know I can link a story element and have the encounters in the story element, but that's just 1 more window I have to open, just would add a little ease of use

They could set up various entries for different things - they don't necessarily need to be bound by the labels on the entries. They could for example group all of the NPCs they meet into one record with a link against each NPC to the place where they met that NPC first (or subsequently).

Zandel
March 8th, 2020, 20:04
They could set up various entries for different things - they don't necessarily need to be bound by the labels on the entries. They could for example group all of the NPCs they meet into one record with a link against each NPC to the place where they met that NPC first (or subsequently).

Absolutely, I just think having an NPC type with its own set of fields adds a lot of versatility. Most World building tools out there World Anvil, Chronica, etc. have an NPC record. The tool is great as it is, not trying to be critical, but offer suggestions.

Zacchaeus
March 8th, 2020, 20:16
Absolutely, I just think having an NPC type with its own set of fields adds a lot of versatility. Most World building tools out there World Anvil, Chronica, etc. have an NPC record. The tool is great as it is, not trying to be critical, but offer suggestions.

Ah, ok. I think I misunderstood you. You mean have a whole record type for NPC - not just an NPC field in the places record type.

Zandel
March 8th, 2020, 20:18
Right

damned
March 8th, 2020, 22:47
Hey Zandel - sorry Im still not 100% sure I follow the NPC suggestion.
Could you perhaps mock up an image of what you are describing?

Zandel
March 9th, 2020, 12:32
NPC
Daran Edermath
Class Fighter
Alignment Lawful Good
Faction Order of the Gauntlet
Disposition towards party Friendly indebted for saving his life
Homeland
Current location
Relationships Dameon Eldermath, son
Quests

Physical Description
A fit, silverhaired half-elf well over a hundred years old speaks with a slightly high proper voice

Mannerisms
Speaks with a slightly high proper voice, right eye twitches

DM NOTES
Daran Edermath is a retired adventurer who lives in a tidy little cottage beside an apple orchard. Daran is a fighter who served as a marshal and herald for many years in the lands of the Dragon Coast, far to the southeast. Upon retiring, he returned to the Neverwinter region, his original home. Daran is a member of the Order of the Gauntlet, a devout and vigilant group that seeks to protect others from the depredations of evildoers. The order is always vigilant, ready to smite evil, enforce justice, and enact retribution against any who try to subjugate or harm others. Though he is no longer active in the order, he keeps an eye on happenings around Phandalin. He is happy to trade news with fellow adventurers, especially those who appear to hold to these virtues. Daran is concerned about the Redbrands, and he would like to see a group of adventurers teach the ruffians a lesson. He tells the characters that it's time someone took a stand against the Redbrands' leader, Glasstaff. Daran knows the Redbrands hang around the Sleeping Giant tap house, but he can also tell the characters that the main Redbrand safe house lies under Tresendar Manor, the ruin at the east edge of town.

Player Notes

damned
March 9th, 2020, 13:28
Hi Zandel

You could absolutely store all that info but I personally think that would be a lot of duplication. That info would normally be in the NPC or the Story.
You can link both of these items in or the WB record into the Story or whatever works for you.
As an example I would probably add the NPCs like this:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32004

But you could add ALL the info in if you wanted.

Zandel
March 9th, 2020, 17:35
Yes, I am doing that now, but as I said, I have to have the NPC tied to a specific place. The players can only add their notes to the place record, so if I have an NPC that is moving around a lot they would have to go that place record that the NPC started in to access the notes. If they NPC moves from place to place, and they may notes about him in two places, now the notes are in two different records. Also having a separate type would make it searchable by NPC name

damned
March 9th, 2020, 22:39
Hi Zandel are you suggesting that Person be an option like Group, Place and Religion?

Zacchaeus
March 9th, 2020, 23:12
Hi Zandel are you suggesting that Person be an option like Group, Place and Religion?

Indeed, he is.

LordEntrails
March 10th, 2020, 02:43
Perhaps extending thecurrent NPC object might be a better option? Though that might impact interchangeability.

Zandel
March 10th, 2020, 02:53
Yes, that is what I am proposing. It would allow them to be searchable by name and allow Players to keep their own notes on the NPCs. Its what most world building programs like World Anvil and Chronica do. I use Chronica today, but would love to get away from it and do everything in FG.

damned
March 10th, 2020, 03:55
Hi Guys,

Ive just written 2 more extensions. One goes very much hand in hand with World Builder and Investigator - that is Dear Diary which allows players to maintain (by way of Append only) the Player view of the Calendar. There is a certain amount of code that has to be Updated across all three extensions when I add a new feature - the main piece being the code that defines the send to chat frames/commands. Im thinking that it might be best to package these three up into a new extension and discontinue them as individual extensions.

Any thoughts - pros and cons - to this?
World Builder and Investigator install new campaign tool buttons but Dear Diary just utilises the existing Calendar campaign tool and adds the player options. IMO having them all installed even if you dont use one component is probably the best way to go.

The other extension - not quite ready to upload - is Halt! a simple tool for players (or GMs) to indicate that the story is (or has) venturing into territory that is making someone at the table uncomfortable.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32029

LordEntrails
March 10th, 2020, 05:14
What about a core extension that has to be loaded before the individual functional ones? I personalty don't see a problem combining them in most cases, as long as all the parts are optional to use or not (which I think they would be).

You do know there recently was another safe type extension created and uploaded. Not sure the difference between yours and their's just wanted to make sure you were aware.

damned
March 10th, 2020, 05:16
What about a core extension that has to be loaded before the individual functional ones? I personalty don't see a problem combining them in most cases, as long as all the parts are optional to use or not (which I think they would be).

You do know there recently was another safe type extension created and uploaded. Not sure the difference between yours and their's just wanted to make sure you were aware.

I am aware. It is actually a more interactive extension than this one. This was something I had started prior though and finally got around to finishing it so I may as well put it out there.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2020, 10:06
If it is easier to maintain the code going forward then I'd say merge the extensions. If it doesn't make much difference to the maintenance I'd say keep them separate. From a screen real estate point of view I suppose one icon is better than two. Even juts one thing that allows players to interact and share stuff is pretty neat.

damned
March 10th, 2020, 14:29
How about...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32040

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2020, 15:40
Nice. I like it!

Zandel
March 12th, 2020, 01:17
That looks Great!

seycyrus
March 12th, 2020, 03:01
Damned.

Thanks for all your work.

I note that there is a conflict when this extension is loaded up with the extension "CoreRPG - on Demand Manual Dice ..."

When the World Builder extensions is loaded up and ctr-click dice is used, the dice get thrown normally, instead of being held in reserve for manual input.

damned
March 12th, 2020, 05:05
celestian and I have had a look at this.
We know why - just not sure what the best way to fix it is just yet...

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2020, 17:27
Great work. I assume all the fields are formatted text so if someone wanted to a put link in the occupation field etc they could?

Again, thanks for all this :)

damned
March 12th, 2020, 19:33
All fields accept all FG formatting and links.

damned
March 15th, 2020, 02:08
This extension is being superseded by Player Agency
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54284-Player-Agency-Extension

mattekure
March 18th, 2020, 04:00
Any plans to add a store functionality to this extension?

damned
March 18th, 2020, 04:06
There is an earlier discussion on that Mattekure if you read back a couple of pages.

Jiminimonka
May 26th, 2020, 23:14
I really like this extension Damned, nice work.

Could you make Theme that matches your theme?

damned
May 26th, 2020, 23:46
I really like this extension Damned, nice work.

Could you make Theme that matches your theme?

What theme?

Jiminimonka
May 27th, 2020, 00:00
The windows etc., for Player Agency have their own outline theme and and font style. A theme for FG that matches it entirely would be nice.

damned
May 27th, 2020, 00:21
Ohh... that is the MoreCore theme/skin. No, its not available as a separate download sorry.

Jiminimonka
May 27th, 2020, 00:29
What if I say please and sprinkle some sugar on top?

damned
May 27th, 2020, 01:56
Ohh... that is the MoreCore theme/skin. No, its not available as a separate download sorry.

What if I say please and sprinkle some sugar on top?

I have so many things on my list right now... its just not likely to happen...

dellanx
June 23rd, 2020, 14:23
Neat will have to download tonight, Thanks damned!

damned
June 24th, 2020, 00:14
Deprecated - please use: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54284-Player-Agency-Extension