PDA

View Full Version : New 5e Homebrew Campaign Starting Late March, Thurs 7:30-9:30 PM CST

Alzarian Crimson
February 7th, 2020, 03:22
I will be putting together an OSR feel 5e campaign for three or four players starting in late March 2020 on Thursday nights from 7:30 - 9:30 PM Central time.

Here are my gaming objectives:

1. Find players who are interested in creating rich characters and who will play an active role in developing the story by providing detailed backgrounds, flaws, fears, hopes and goals;

2. Develop simultaneous short-term and long-range adventure arcs as well as ongoing story arcs personal to each PC;

3. Create a low magic, low XP, gritty, dark fantasy world that might seem mundane at first but that will soon push the limits of my creative story telling abilities;

4. Use unusual and custom creatures that players have not likely seen before and to add flavor to common monsters to breathe some new life into them;

5. Allow for wide player agency (after the initial adventure to get us started);

6. Allow a real risk of PC death, which might result in rerolling PCs;

7. Draw from various OSR style gaming systems for a few custom combat rules as well as some custom spells and magic items;

8. Original story material.

In order to make this worthwhile for me, I have to put substantial time into the game. So, I am looking for the right players. I have enough experience with running FG games to know that I need to find like-minded players in order to have a group that will be able to work together without interpersonal drama - which is strongly discouraged.

I’m over 50 and looking for mature players who like role playing as well as butt kicking. I say mature, not “old.” If you’re 20 something but have a mature outlook, this might mean you.

Also, you might be a good candidate if:

You are interested in who your PC is rather than what your PC can do;
You are interested in seeing your PC develop and grow on a personal level;
You feel that PC flaws are often more fun than PC abilities;
You view the rule books as suggestions;
You can accept DM rulings as the law of the moment, even when you disagree;
Your PC will ask questions of NPCs, decide to research a question in the library or otherwise lead the story when appropriate;
You trust in the DM to make rulings and decisions for the benefit of the game as a whole;
You can allow other players to pursue their PC’s objectives or to make mistakes without interfering;
You can find a way to constructively play a lawful good character with a neutral party member;
You get along well with others;
You are generally a decent person.

You probably won’t enjoy this campaign if:

You want to build a kickass damage dealing PC;
You are bored if you haven’t killed an orc lately;
You get bored during NPC encounters;
Your PC backstory is that he or she is really the child of a god;
Your PC wants to use the biggest sword possible;
You like to help others find the optimal path or battle strategy;
You know the rules by heart and expect everyone to follow them.

Don’t get me wrong, I myself have done all of these things and had a blast too. It’s just that this campaign will be different from the ones I have run in the past.

In order to find a group that will work best, I am going to ask for applications. I am not pretentious. I just need to know that the time and effort I put into the game is likely to be appreciated by the type of players for whom the campaign is intended.

If any of this interests you, please PM me with some thoughts about what kind of player you are and a PC concept. Thanks!

Al

Alzarian Crimson
February 7th, 2020, 04:40
I am planning on using a region of my own creation that may ultimately be placed in the Forgotten Realms. Or not. Not quite sure of that.

I would like to find some interested people first, have a session zero, and decide together what some of our specific goals are. I have a bunch of content ready to go, which I can use to get us started.

All 5e Players Handbook content is open. Other supplements too, but subject to approval.

Alzarian Crimson
February 7th, 2020, 12:40
Here are a few concepts with respect to the type of world/campaign I am leaning toward:

Magic is a mysterious and dangerous force feared by many and commonly viewed as an evil, anti-societal pursuit. Consequently, those who are believed to dabble in such things are often shunned or even hunted for the betterment of the world.

Science as we know it today is mixed with mystical forces and can’t always be predicted or relied upon.

Adventurers are uncommon and regarded with suspicion.

True “Clerics” are rare and are akin to prophets. Thus, resurrection is very hard to come by.

Most people have never travelled more than 30 miles from home.

Most people have no need for reading or books, spending most of their time in the fields or working their trade.

Regional government is loosely based on the feudal system.

Humanoids like orcs or goblins are killed on sight for the protection of society without a second thought.

Demihumans, such as halflings, dwarves or elves are rare in this region, but are socially accepted. Dragonborn and tieflings (while permissible as PCs) will be feared and mistrusted.

The world is ancient with countless mysteries to be solved.

PCs will start at 1st level. Feats are allowed. You can choose point buy or rolling stats.

Chancellor
February 7th, 2020, 14:49
I absolutely love your game concept. As a fellow OSR "old" man, your description dovetails nicely with what I'm looking for. I am very interested in joining.

Alzarian Crimson
February 7th, 2020, 23:05
Thanks for the PMs. I’m going to keep this open for a few more days.

Alzarian Crimson
February 9th, 2020, 03:03
Applications closed for now. Thanks everyone for your interest!

Alzarian Crimson
March 24th, 2020, 19:24
Applications reopened! We have space for one more person. If you are interested, please let me know asap.

Thanks!

PhorgottenSon
March 25th, 2020, 01:06
If applications are closed as you mentioned on a different thread, you might want to mention that here to prevent your inbox from blowing up.

Dg1707
March 25th, 2020, 04:41
Hey you sound like a great Dungeon Master and i dig your campaign style. I would love to join if youll have me! I am new to fantasy grounds but I am already in a couple games, so I've pretty much got the hang of things, no training needed.

Gunnesax
March 25th, 2020, 04:53
You sound like a fantastic and interesting DM and what an exciting story-scape as well! I am a female player in her 40s and have been playing D&D avidly for over 2 years now. I have played in 2 long term (over a year long each) campaigns and quite a few shorter ones: everything from a few sessions to one-shots. I just love role playing and I love puzzles and approaching encounters in creative ways. I also am a total lore junky and really get into the bigger picture of the adventure setting: gods/deities/political intrigue/wars/geographical locales etc. I love creating vibrant characters who will have often have their own accents etc. Flaws make the most interesting characters too! I just joined fantasy grounds unity tonight as an ultimate subscriber and am excited to see all that it can do. This would be my first ever virtual game. Thursday nights are perfect for me! Anyway, I hope you consider me and thanks so much!

Alzarian Crimson
March 25th, 2020, 13:48
Applications closed again! Thanks to all.

KrptDrgn
March 25th, 2020, 22:56
I am definately interested and would love to be a part of this! Thursday nights are open as it's not been determined yet when my back to work state will be. So please count me in. I'm a heavy roleplayer with emphasis on the character rather than their ability. Been playing rpgs now for roughly 30 years and am always up for driving a storyline. I hope to hear from you soon!