PDA

View Full Version : Performance with Large numbers of nodes

mattekure
February 6th, 2020, 17:56
I understand performance is lower on the priority list right now but I wanted to post this just to make sure its been seen.

I developed a module which contains a very large number of nodes (Syrinscape sound links, about 22,000 or so). An extension adds a new banner to the side that lets you browse the different sounds loaded from the module.

When testing in FGU, clicking on the banner to open the window takes several minutes to to open. FGU appears to freeze during that time. After waiting, the window does eventually open, and subsequent opening/closing of the window is fast.

This behavior is different from FGC. In FGC with the same extension/module, it only takes a second or two to open the window and access the sound links inside.

thanks!

Moon Wizard
February 6th, 2020, 23:08
To be honest, I'm surprised that FGC doesn't have an issue with such a large number of nodes. We may or may not be able to address that much of a performance difference in FGU (since it just has different performance characteristics than FGC). So, you may need to roll your own interface window at some point. You can wait and see what we come up with eventually, but just wanted to give caveat.

Regards,
JPG

mattekure
February 6th, 2020, 23:26
Thanks, I'll keep it on the backburner until we get closer to a Unity release. If necessary I'll come up with my own interface window that limits how much is loaded.