PDA

View Full Version : Update issue

Hardway07
February 6th, 2020, 01:21
Went to update, window popped up and started the update, closed itself and now I am unable to update. I copied the message I receive when I attempt to launch the update below.

2/5/2020 8:16:46 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[2/5/2020 8:16:50 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds//FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)
[2/5/2020 8:18:59 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds//FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)
[2/5/2020 8:19:05 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds//FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

Thanks,
Hardway07

Hardway07
February 6th, 2020, 01:49
I do not see an installation folder to be able to delete files called FGUpdater_NEW or FGUpdater_OLD

notrealdan
February 6th, 2020, 01:59
I do not see an installation folder to be able to delete files called FGUpdater_NEW or FGUpdater_OLD

Hi, it should at be this location, per the error messages:
C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/

Moon Wizard
February 6th, 2020, 05:09
Please try running FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe directly from that folder. There was a trailing slash issue that Ryan was looking at that I think is addressed in the most recent updater (once you get to it).

Ryan has been out sick, so I haven’t been able to verify. Hopefully, he is in tomorrow.

Regards,
JPG

redeyesofnight
February 6th, 2020, 15:48
Please try running FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe directly from that folder. There was a trailing slash issue that Ryan was looking at that I think is addressed in the most recent updater (once you get to it).

Ryan has been out sick, so I haven’t been able to verify. Hopefully, he is in tomorrow.

Regards,
JPG

The trailing slash issue was actually a change I made in FGU, so should be fixed in yesterday's build, so running FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe should update Fantasy Grounds and restore links to the updater/settings for Data paths ending in a /

Ratupper
February 9th, 2020, 20:56
I'm having trouble with the updater as well...I have log at C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.log
ARGS: -c
CheckNewUpdater(): True
RUNNING AS FantasyGroundsUpdater_OLD.exe
New Updater Valid: True
Replace with new updater
DELETE C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
Recursive Delete: C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine
Deleting parent C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine
Could not delete parent: 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine' System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'FGUpdaterEngine.exe' is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at FantasyGroundsUpdater.Program.RecursiveDelete(Stri ng deleteDir, Boolean deleteParent)
Error: Could not delete path 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine' Another program may be accessing this folder, please make sure FantasyGrounds and FGUpdaterEngine are closed and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater. If this does not work, please try deleting the folder manually. If this fails, please restart computer and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater.

I did try running the but it just seems to get stuck see 31532

help?

Trenloe
February 9th, 2020, 21:00
@rRatupper - Did you try what it says in the error message? Namely: "Error: Could not delete path 'C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\FGupdaterEngine' Another program may be accessing this folder, please make sure FantasyGrounds and FGUpdaterEngine are closed and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater. If this does not work, please try deleting the folder manually. If this fails, please restart computer and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater."

Roach
February 10th, 2020, 09:33
I tend to get this error msg about being unable to find the Updater both in Unity and Classic, usually of I try to run an update when FG has already been running for hours, e.g., at the end of a gaming session. In that case it helps to restart FG(U) and then immediately run the Update. I guess when it has been in the folders for a long time, it is reluctant to release the locks again ;)

Ratupper
February 12th, 2020, 03:14
I deleted the folder manually but it is still stuck trying to back-up the old updater....now it can't find it

Backing up self updater.
e: HandlePackage - Could not back up self updater, original is missing.

StoryWeaver
February 12th, 2020, 18:47
Had this same problem today.

To fix it go to the root of your Fantasy Grounds Unity install folder, the folder where Fantasy Grounds Unity runs from.

1) Locate "FantasyGroundsUpdater_OLD.exe".
2) Remove the "_OLD" part of that filename, so it's now called "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe". (ps. always worth making a backup in case something goes wrong before doing these sort of things)
3) Restart FGU and run the update.

That should fix it.

Way2loco
February 13th, 2020, 02:02
I am having the same issue and so far nothing above has worked for me.

Way2loco
February 13th, 2020, 02:04
I am having the same issue and so far nothing above has worked for me. After doing what Styrmir suggested now the client totally closes after i try to update it.

Moon Wizard
February 13th, 2020, 03:59
@Way2loco,

Are you running Windows? Did you try redownloading the installer I pushed around 4PM Pacific Time, and running a new install?

Thanks,
JPG

StoryWeaver
February 13th, 2020, 15:02
Sorry to hear that Way2loco.
It worked for me.

In fact I had to do the same thing again today after an update. The FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe was renamed with the appendix _OLD again, but no new FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe took its place.
Making a copy for safety and renaming it worked again. As all the button really does is point to and run that file name in the root in the end.

After restarting the client a second time, the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe seems to remain after the update.

Steve Flammang
February 16th, 2020, 12:17
@Way2loco,

Are you running Windows? Did you try redownloading the installer I pushed around 4PM Pacific Time, and running a new install?

Same for me. After running the updater yesterday, today I canīt run nor the updater nor enter settings. Never had update issues before and I do them regularly (whenever red button shows theres 1). Now after few seconds client crashes after launcher shows up for half a second (see screenshot below). Running from Launcher Screen or manually from folder changes nothing.

PC: ACPIx64 running under Windows 10 download and installed latest Visual C+++ for x64 version (FGclassic also installed same directory but different folder)
FGU license: Ultimate with license key (updated regularly until yesterday)

Will try a new installation after backing up

redeyesofnight
February 17th, 2020, 21:49
Same for me. After running the updater yesterday, today I canīt run nor the updater nor enter settings. Never had update issues before and I do them regularly (whenever red button shows theres 1). Now after few seconds client crashes after launcher shows up for half a second (see screenshot below). Running from Launcher Screen or manually from folder changes nothing.

PC: ACPIx64 running under Windows 10 download and installed latest Visual C+++ for x64 version (FGclassic also installed same directory but different folder)
FGU license: Ultimate with license key (updated regularly until yesterday)

Will try a new installation after backing up

This in particular has been a recent issue with some changes made to the installer. I've made a more detailed stickied post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53845-Recent-Updater-Issues-and-Feedback) that in part relates to this issue. Please take a peek over there, still trying to pinpoint the issue.

skorski
April 27th, 2020, 16:54
I've had a similar problem here with FG Unity when running from the shortcut it makes on the desktop. The log indicates that it's looking in the cwd for the updater, and it's running the program from the shortcut's cwd:

[4/27/2020 11:47:36 AM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-23)
[4/27/2020 11:47:37 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[4/27/2020 11:47:51 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Users/foo/Desktop/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

If I set the "start in" folder for the shortcut directory, it works out fine.

Hex08
May 1st, 2020, 04:31
I am also having the updater problem with Unity. I have to go into the C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds folder and click on the updater from there to get it to run.

[4/30/2020 11:27:11 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-28)
[4/30/2020 11:27:11 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[4/30/2020 11:27:17 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)
[4/30/2020 11:27:42 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

dkabq
May 2nd, 2020, 18:28
I get this flavor of the error. It is a true error, as the updater is not in the system32 folder. But I cannot figure out how to change the FGU settings to point to the correct location. The updater does work correctly if I run it directly.

[5/2/2020 11:22:13 AM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-28)
[5/2/2020 11:22:13 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[5/2/2020 11:26:24 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (C:/Windows/system32/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

LordEntrails
May 3rd, 2020, 18:04
Check the "Start In" field of your shortcut properties. See if that is correct.

May 10th, 2020, 18:17
35147 I and the four others I play with get an error when updating. First FGudaterEngine show a pop up window that says it does not have access to either the Application or directory. The pop up window have a "Fix PermissionS" that result in a message that it failed. If you press close the update continue and the game is playable afterwards. I am running Windows 10 fully patched. We are five that have the same issue and we were wondering whether this was a general issue.