PDA

View Full Version : Combat chat entry and Audio Extension

braindead91
February 4th, 2020, 13:45
Good day everyone,

I would like to use an extension to play sfx for different weapons/spell and differentiated between a hit/miss/crit/fumble. However, because the way the chat is setup in PFRPG2, the weapon and the dice results are on two separate line of text and all audio extension available to us can only parse trigger based a on a single line of text. Is there an easy way to modify chat output to include the attack type (ranged/melee/spell) and the weapon used on the second line? I.e.

Current Version:
Line 1: Medium Animal: [ATTACK (M)] Jaws
Line 2: Attack [19] -> [at Wolf][HIT]

Desired Result:
Line 1(no change): Medium Animal: [ATTACK (M)] Jaws
Line 2: Attack (M) [19] with Jaws -> [at Wolf][HIT]

P.S The format of the second line is just an example and could be changed to whatever as long as the information is all there on one line.

Thanks!

Trenloe
February 4th, 2020, 15:01
However, because the way the chat is setup in PFRPG2, the weapon and the dice results are on two separate line of text and all audio extension available to us can only parse trigger based a on a single line of text.
I'm confused from this statement. Which extension/s are you referring to and which ruleset/s do they work with?

The reason I ask, and why I'm confused as to why PFRPG2 wouldn't work with the extension/s you mention, is that the format of the PFRPG2 attack in chat is the same as D&D 5E, 3.5E and PFRPG (first edition).

celestian
February 4th, 2020, 15:13
If he is refered to AudioOverseer it parses a line checking for matches within that line. So if you want to have a sound trigger based on melee weapon or ranged with the way it works now (showing M/R on a line by itself) you would not be able to match "(M)" and "[HIT]" at the same time. Just one or the other.

I adjusted the 2E code a while back so that it would work with D's previous extension.

Attack [11] ->[ATTACK (M)] Longsword [at Orc 5] [MISS]

braindead91
February 4th, 2020, 15:23
Hi Trenloe,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The extension I used are DOE: Sound & AudioOverseer. I based my assumption on the video that was posting in the AudiOverseer thread but he is using AD&D ruleset I believe where there are more information about the attack and I wrongly assumed that this was the norm and that PFRPG2 was different. However, I just loaded up a 5E campaign and you are absolutely right, it is the same format as PFRPG2, so my apologies, I stand corrected.

Let me rephrase my request then. Is there an easy way to add more information on the attack line?

I know there are extension for 5e that add more details in the attack line which then enable the audio extensions to trigger different sounds based on the different results for different weapons but they have other stuff included and they are too complicated for me to modify.

Thanks!

Trenloe
February 4th, 2020, 16:17
No worries, I just wanted to know exactly what we were looking at here.

Let me rephrase my request then. Is there an easy way to add more information on the attack line?
I’ll look into doing something along the lines of what celestian mentions. Not sure when it will get done though.

braindead91
February 4th, 2020, 16:43
Awesome, thanks!

Dr0W
February 4th, 2020, 17:04
Yes, this would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Trenloe
February 4th, 2020, 22:58
The issue with doing this is that only one icon can be on a single line. So we will have to remove either the character icon or the graphical fumble/miss/hit/critical icon. Probably the latter.

braindead91
February 4th, 2020, 23:32
Can't we just keep the first line as is with the character icon and setup the second line with the same syntax as celestian and the graphical icon? There will be a little redundancy but I don't think it would be too bad. I say that because I think the first line as weapon tags included and we wouldn't need that on the second line.

Trenloe
February 9th, 2020, 20:42
How about this? Change highlighted in the image below:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31531

I've been doing a lot of ruleset work this weekend and so I thought I'd look at this. There's not going to be a ruleset release for a while, as there's some complex changes going on and I want to get them right before releasing. Although this is a pretty small change, so I may release this, and a couple of other small things, earlier.

braindead91
February 9th, 2020, 21:12
Awesome, that is exactly what was needed!!

Thank you so much, looking forward to script sfx for all my players' weapons :)

Cheers!

theMaXX
February 18th, 2020, 00:33

I've been doing a lot of ruleset work this weekend and so I thought I'd look at this. There's not going to be a ruleset release for a while, as there's some complex changes going on and I want to get them right before releasing. Although this is a pretty small change, so I may release this, and a couple of other small things, earlier.

May i ask what should we expect from these complex changes? New functionalities?

Trenloe
March 4th, 2020, 09:20

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31531
This should be live now - make sure the version of the PFRPG2 ruleset reported in the chat window is v3.3.10 (PF2 Release 13)

Trenloe
March 4th, 2020, 09:20
May i ask what should we expect from these complex changes? New functionalities?
Everything is in flux, so no announcements at this time.

Ryckard81
August 31st, 2020, 18:11
I'm sorry to arrive late at this party, but is this for the Fantasy Grounds Unity? I have the same problem of the OP, but I'm using FGU for 5E.

Trenloe
August 31st, 2020, 19:12
I'm sorry to arrive late at this party, but is this for the Fantasy Grounds Unity? I have the same problem of the OP, but I'm using FGU for 5E.
This thread was specific to the combat wording for the Pathfinder Second Edition ruleset. I recommend you post a question in the thread relevant to the extension you're using to play the sound based off chat window text - people monitoring that thread will be able to help you better.

Ryckard81
September 2nd, 2020, 16:01
Ok! Sorry for the mix up and thank you for your quick response! :)

Mazzar
January 6th, 2022, 16:56
Is there a way to get the same thing for the 5E ruleset? Just need to have the weapon name in the last line of the chat just like the example above.

damned
January 6th, 2022, 22:11
Is there a way to get the same thing for the 5E ruleset? Just need to have the weapon name in the last line of the chat just like the example above.

Many times different rulesets have different features and different implementations of things as they are built by different developers and over time their skillsets and knowledge also improves.

At this time PFRPG2E has a different set of features for Effects than other rulesets do.

Mazzar
January 7th, 2022, 06:43
I modified the manager_action_attack.lua file in the Scripts folder of the 5E.PAK by capturing the rActions.label into a variable called ActionLabel and then added "with " .. ActionLabel .." ->" to lines 446 and 447

msgShort.text = "Attack with " .. ActionLabel .. " ->";
msgLong.text = "Attack [" .. nTotal .. "] with " .. ActionLabel .. " ->";

This did the trick and makes the 5E combat results in the chat window a bit more friendly. And it will work very nicely with the Audio Overseer triggers as you can now trigger a sound based what you are attacking with.

I'm sure that this file will constantly get overwritten as new updates come out for the 5E ruleset. Is it possible to include something like this?

Trenloe
January 7th, 2022, 19:38
I modified the manager_action_attack.lua file in the Scripts folder of the 5E.PAK by capturing the rActions.label into a variable called ActionLabel and then added "with " .. ActionLabel .." ->" to lines 446 and 447

msgShort.text = "Attack with " .. ActionLabel .. " ->";
msgLong.text = "Attack [" .. nTotal .. "] with " .. ActionLabel .. " ->";

This did the trick and makes the 5E combat results in the chat window a bit more friendly. And it will work very nicely with the Audio Overseer triggers as you can now trigger a sound based what you are attacking with.

I'm sure that this file will constantly get overwritten as new updates come out for the 5E ruleset. Is it possible to include something like this?
This thread is in the Pathfinder 2.0 forum, so asking detailed questions like this for D&D 5E are best posted in that forum.

Mazzar
January 7th, 2022, 21:00
This thread is in the Pathfinder 2.0 forum, so asking detailed questions like this for D&D 5E are best posted in that forum.

I figured this was a thread for changing the combat chat entry to work with the audio extension better. Is it possible to incorporate those changes? I’d expect it would be considered an improvement and will solve the same issue this thread is about.

Trenloe
January 7th, 2022, 21:53
I figured this was a thread for changing the combat chat entry to work with the audio extension better. Is it possible to incorporate those changes? I’d expect it would be considered an improvement and will solve the same issue this thread is about.
This is in the Pathfinder 2.0 forum, so it is very specific to Pathfinder 2.0. The devs you want to engage to make a change to another ruleset may well not even look at this thread because they assume it's for Pathfinder 2.0.

I recommend you start a new thread in the 5E forum to discuss/request the changes you're looking for in the D&D 5E ruleset.

Mazzar
January 9th, 2022, 00:34
This is in the Pathfinder 2.0 forum, so it is very specific to Pathfinder 2.0. The devs you want to engage to make a change to another ruleset may well not even look at this thread because they assume it's for Pathfinder 2.0.

I recommend you start a new thread in the 5E forum to discuss/request the changes you're looking for in the D&D 5E ruleset.

The issue is being solved anyway. The Audio Overseer will handle multi-line support so there is no need to alter the line anymore.