PDA

View Full Version : Image Assets with Occluders

Nemesismmx
January 31st, 2020, 09:52
Hi,
I was wondering is there a way to provide occlusion data for custom made image tiles?
I guess that those need to be packed in module, and since occluder data is stored in DB file, is there maybe some new XML element like asset?

Thanks

Trenloe
January 31st, 2020, 11:03
The information in this thread should help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50591-FGU-Sharing-LOS-Definitions-for-Maps-Crowd-Project

Nemesismmx
January 31st, 2020, 15:13
Hey Trenloe,
Thanks for the tip. I had read all 44 pages of discussion there, but unfortunately didn't find any info on how to generate module with assets that includes LoS. Maybe I missed something ��

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 15:39
Hey Trenloe,
Thanks for the tip. I had read all 44 pages of discussion there, but unfortunately didn't find any info on how to generate module with assets that includes LoS. Maybe I missed something ��

If you are just wanting to create occluders to maps or other assets that you have in your campaign or have created in Unity then you can export that in the normal way and the occluders will be exported as well along with the assets.

If you are adding occluders to an existing module then the occluder info is stored in the moduledb folder and the occluder data needs to be extracted from that and injected into the module. This process is not publicly available as yet.

Nemesismmx
January 31st, 2020, 16:18
Maybe I didn't explained well what I need. There are assets that come along with FGU containing tiled images which one can use to build a map peace by peace.
I already have tiles, and I can put them in images folder, and they are available as assets, so I can build a map with them also.
Once I finish map, If Im using my tiles I need to add LoS information; but if I'm making a map using "Shockbolt GM" asset tiles LoS information is already there.
Question is how to achieve the same with my custom tiles?

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 16:25
As I said if you have added assets to Unity in your campaign; and added the LOS to those assets you can export that to a module and the LOS info will be exported with the assets. The module will then be available in assets in any other campaign.

Mortar
January 31st, 2020, 16:58
I believe that Nemesismmx is looking to see if there is a tutorial or step by step instructions to set up the LOS

Nemesismmx
January 31st, 2020, 17:41
I believe that Nemesismmx is looking to see if there is a tutorial or step by step instructions to set up the LOS
Hey Mortar,
I know how to set up LOS for images, what I don't know is how to set up LOS for Assets.
If I have tile image in the Assets Library I can only draw LOS on it if I create Image from that particular tile. But then, again, that information is tied to image itself, not to asset from which it was created.
If I create module, assets will be available as part of it but they will not have LOS embedded.

I hope it is clearer now :o

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 17:45

The post Trenloe linked contains all the videos on how to actually draw the LOS.

I may also not be explaining things terribly well either.

The steps would be
1) Add your tiles to a new campaign by dropping them into the images folder and then dragging from the campaign assets into the campaign images folder.
2) Draw the LOS occluders on those tiles
3) Export to a module
4) Open the module in another campaign

You can then use the tiles which will have their occluders on them along with any other tiles that are already in FG.

If you draw occluders on a tile from an existing module then the occluder data will be written to the moduledb file and will need to be extracted from that if those are required tto be written into the module that the files are in. That process isn't publicly available as yet.

Nemesismmx
January 31st, 2020, 18:17
Zacchaeus, thank you very much for your efforts, but I'm obviously doing something wrong here :)
I followed your steps, made a module, created new campaign and loaded that module.
Here is a screenshot of FGU with that module loaded:
A) Shows a image with LOS. It is an image from module made from original tile (Cave Tiles)
B) Shows assets from module (Cave Tiles). When dragged on a new image tile will not contain LOS on it, as you can see.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 18:46
Hmm, well that's how I understood it to work. I haven't played around with images much at all.

Having said that my tests reveal that the occluder data is in the db.xml file from the exported module but that's not showing up on the image. It could be that there is an issue at the moment and that this isn't working as expected. But I'm not sure.

Kelrugem
January 31st, 2020, 19:10
Hmm, well that's how I understood it to work. I haven't played around with images much at all.

Having said that my tests reveal that the occluder data is in the db.xml file from the exported module but that's not showing up on the image. It could be that there is an issue at the moment and that this isn't working as expected. But I'm not sure.

I remember Doug saying that this is not possible within FGU at the moment, they use some internal tool for that :) When I remember everything correctly then something like this may be built-in somewhen but not at the moment :)

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 19:20
I remember Doug saying that this is not possible within FGU at the moment, they use some internal tool for that :) When I remember everything correctly then something like this may be built-in somewhen but not at the moment :)

The internal tool (as far as I understand it) is only needed if we are adding occluders to images in an existing module - since in that case the occluder info is added to the moduledb file rather than the campaign's db.xml file. So the occluder info needs to be stripped out of the moduledb.xml and injected into the module so that when the module is used the occluder info is included in the actual module. Each image gets it's own little xml file.

In a campaign all of the occluder info is added to the db.xml file if the image is one that's been added to the campaign and since the db.xml file gets exported then the occluder info is there. However there may be an additional step that is required and it may well be that a tool will need to be used to do this as well; or it may well be that it just hasn't been implemented yet.

Kelrugem
January 31st, 2020, 19:31
The internal tool (as far as I understand it) is only needed if we are adding occluders to images in an existing module - since in that case the occluder info is added to the moduledb file rather than the campaign's db.xml file. So the occluder info needs to be stripped out of the moduledb.xml and injected into the module so that when the module is used the occluder info is included in the actual module. Each image gets it's own little xml file.

In a campaign all of the occluder info is added to the db.xml file if the image is one that's been added to the campaign and since the db.xml file gets exported then the occluder info is there. However there may be an additional step that is required and it may well be that a tool will need to be used to do this as well; or it may well be that it just hasn't been implemented yet.

ah, I understand :) Just searched a bit (okay, it took a bit longer :D) and found this here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52805-Adding-LOS-to-imported-tiles-and-resaving-in-images-for-future-mapping&p=468232&viewfull=1#post468232

When I understand it correctly then one needs the tool for both, images of existing modules and own images :)

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 19:35
ah, I understand :) Just searched a bit (okay, it took a bit longer :D) and found this here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52805-Adding-LOS-to-imported-tiles-and-resaving-in-images-for-future-mapping&p=468232&viewfull=1#post468232

When I understand it correctly then one needs the tool for both, images of existing modules and own images :)

Aha! Well found. I knew there was something I was missing (but ploughed ahead anyway) but I just couldn't find it.

Nemesismmx
January 31st, 2020, 20:17
Thank you guys,
I will need to wait then, not long I hope ��

Golgoltha
November 10th, 2020, 00:40
How do you IMPORT it once you export it?