PDA

View Full Version : Three Macs running Starfinder on local network using the Dev server

Ulric
January 31st, 2020, 02:02
I switched my Macs over to the Dev server this morning. It was the first time I have been able to run a campaign locally. On my 15" 2015 Macbook Pro and loaded a Starfinder test campaign without any extensions. Once my campaign had loaded, I attempted to connect my 13" 2013 Macbook Pro and got a license error, so I deleted my license and reconnected and was then prompted by FGU for the campaign password. After supplying my password, it connected as a player to the GM Macbook. I now tried to connect as a second player using my 2011 Mac mini, but an FGU error message said I could not connect with the same name as the 2013 Macbook player. I then changed the user account name in the FGU settings and reconnected. FGU then prompted me for the campaign password, and after entering the password, it loaded into the Starfinder campaign. I did get the following error message in the console on the Mac mini.

1/30/2020 7:18:09 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (modules/minisetting_spirits_of_1786_gm/definition.xml) from product (S2P10026)
[1/30/2020 7:18:09 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (modules/minisetting_tesla_rangers_pg/definition.xml) from product (S2P10026)

Those errors are only a small portion of the mod vault error messages. I am guessing that the errors occurred because FGU could not open the mod vault using the incorrect name I had to use to correct the duplicate name error that was initially preventing me from connecting to the game. It would be nice if a player could choose a name to connect with other than their FGU account user name like the GM can, so it does not cause this problem.

I then loaded a map of the Sunrise Maiden with LOS added and was able to test token LOS, attacks, and damage. Everything went very smoothly. On my GM Macbook, my fans did switch to high speed with the map loaded. I let all three computers stay connected for about 90 minutes without any connection issues. The two Macbook Pros were running macOS 10.14.6 using WI-FI, and the Mac mini was running macOS 10.13.06 with an ethernet connection to the LAN.

Moon Wizard
February 1st, 2020, 07:24
Yes, if you change the user name on a machine, then you have to run a full update for the vault to synch correctly to the new user name.

Also, you can only connect to a host with a given user name once per user name.

So, everything is as expected in the scenario you described.

I appreciate checking that out on the Mac side; especially with three different machines too!

Regards,
JPG

Ulric
February 1st, 2020, 20:25
Yes, if you change the user name on a machine, then you have to run a full update for the vault to synch correctly to the new user name.

Also, you can only connect to a host with a given user name once per user name.

So, everything is as expected in the scenario you described.

I appreciate checking that out on the Mac side; especially with three different machines too!

Regards,
JPG

You're Welcome!

I also have some windows 10 computers and I plan to try a mixed environment next week.