PDA

View Full Version : Selecting the corresponding combat tracker entry from the token on the map

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 05:02
Roll20 convert here. New to posting on the forums - been reading a ton of threads as I get to know things though. Bought the ultimate license I think last month and have been pouring over documentation and getting to know things. Absolutely loving it so far - running 3 different campaigns now all through FG - 2 in person, 1 remote.

Got a quick question (not even sure if I'm in the right section of the forums here...)-

I know you can double click on an entry in the combat tracker to bring up the associated token on whatever map it's currently on.
I'm wondering if you can do the opposite - go from the token on the map and do something to to get to the corresponding entry in the combat tracker. I haven't been able to find this posted anywhere.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2020, 09:38
Hi daddyogreman welcome to FG.

If you double click on a token on the map you will open the relevant sheet (whether PC or NPC) but it doesn't select the entry on the CT.

LordEntrails
January 30th, 2020, 18:20
I'm not real sure as I dont use it, but does the 5E Enhancer community extension add this capability?

Edit: this would only be for the 5E ruleset though...

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 18:50
I'll have to check it out. Was hoping for core functionality - running two pathfinder campaigns and one 5E campaign. Either way it's not the end of the world, just would be nice to have.

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 18:51
Can you point out which extension you're referring to?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions

celestian
January 30th, 2020, 18:55
I am not familiar with extensions but CoreRPG and 5e do not have that functionality built in. The AD&D ruleset does however. If someone needs assistance on writing a extension for the community I'd be happy to point them in the right direction code wise.

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 20:17
I am not familiar with extensions but CoreRPG and 5e do not have that functionality built in. The AD&D ruleset does however. If someone needs assistance on writing a extension for the community I'd be happy to point them in the right direction code wise.

I'd love that. Just want an option to alt-click or shift-click or whatever on a token on the map to select the corresponding entry in the combat tracker. Would love for it to work for any ruleset. I've only dabbled a bit thus far with a couple token modules I've made for myself, as well as a module I'm exporting to just flesh out a few story entries and the like to use across my Pathfinder campaigns. Just copied a couple more community modules that I'm looking at modifying to suit my needs.

I've cracked open a simpler extension (the moon tracker one by Andraax) just to have a look around but that's the only thing I've dune thus far with any extensions aside from using a few community ones in my games. I've got a few programming languages under my belt, but lua ain't one of 'em. ;)

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 20:23
Then again, with Unity looming around the corner (I think?), I'm wondering if it's a bit of a waste of time to get to know how things work in Classic. Not sure how similar (if at all) things are going to be for modules, extensions and the like for something as ultimately as trivial and not really needed as this.
I DO remember reading that all of your purchased content will work in either, but I don't remember seeing anything about modules/extensions/etc.

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2020, 22:00
Then again, with Unity looming around the corner (I think?), I'm wondering if it's a bit of a waste of time to get to know how things work in Classic. Not sure how similar (if at all) things are going to be for modules, extensions and the like for something as ultimately as trivial and not really needed as this.
I DO remember reading that all of your purchased content will work in either, but I don't remember seeing anything about modules/extensions/etc.

Extensions may or may not work in Unity; it rather depends on what they do. The extension authors will no doubt be looking to upgrade them once the Unity code is finalised.

I'm not sure what the use case would be for clicking on a token and having the CT entry highlighted. The CT is the thing that is used for combat so that is what determines the next actor's turn. Clicking on tokens and having that change the highlighted actor on the CT is going to get seriously confusing and create a lot of work resetting the next actor etc.

The extension that is mentioned above will only work in 5e and I whole heartedly don't recommend it to a new user since it changes way too much of how FG works. I'd recommend getting to know how FG works and use the software as intended before you go ahead looking for extensions.

celestian
January 30th, 2020, 23:16
I'm not sure what the use case would be for clicking on a token and having the CT entry highlighted. The CT is the thing that is used for combat so that is what determines the next actor's turn. Clicking on tokens and having that change the highlighted actor on the CT is going to get seriously confusing and create a lot of work resetting the next actor etc.

The way it works in the AD&D ruleset is slides the viewport in the CT to the token clicked on map and then it places an indicator on it in the CT so you know which one it is you have clicked on in the map. It wouldn't move the "who has initiative" selection. I did this because there were a lot of times I needed to know which token was what in the CT from the map view. If I had 15 orcs on the map it was hard to find the CT entry.

That was my use case, not sure what the OP is looking for.

daddyogreman
January 30th, 2020, 23:27
Yup. That's exactly it. When I've got 6 goblins on the map, it's just a bit slow to have to refer to the title, then pull up the combat tracker and scroll through to find the proper one. Not looking for moving who's turn it is, etc. Just a quick easy way to refer to the associated CT entry from a token on the map.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 11:50
The way it works in the AD&D ruleset is slides the viewport in the CT to the token clicked on map and then it places an indicator on it in the CT so you know which one it is you have clicked on in the map. It wouldn't move the "who has initiative" selection. I did this because there were a lot of times I needed to know which token was what in the CT from the map view. If I had 15 orcs on the map it was hard to find the CT entry.

That was my use case, not sure what the OP is looking for.

Yup. That's exactly it. When I've got 6 goblins on the map, it's just a bit slow to have to refer to the title, then pull up the combat tracker and scroll through to find the proper one. Not looking for moving who's turn it is, etc. Just a quick easy way to refer to the associated CT entry from a token on the map.

Interesting. I still can't think of why I'd need this. The opposite way around now, that would be useful. That is a better highlight of the token whose turn it is in a somewhat more illuminating way. I know you did an extension that put a crown on the token, Celestian, and we did give that a go but we dropped it for some reason which I can't remember now. Maybe because it didn't work for the players perhaps?

celestian
January 31st, 2020, 15:05
Interesting. I still can't think of why I'd need this. The opposite way around now, that would be useful. That is a better highlight of the token whose turn it is in a somewhat more illuminating way. I know you did an extension that put a crown on the token, Celestian, and we did give that a go but we dropped it for some reason which I can't remember now. Maybe because it didn't work for the players perhaps?

Hum, it should. The AD&D ruleset has it built in and uses a green circle/crosshair style and both sides do see it. I also have "targeted" indicators (red crosshairs) on tokens so the PC can see visibly what they have selected for targets (tho if they mouse over their token it draws the lines still as well).

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 15:22
Hum, it should. The AD&D ruleset has it built in and uses a green circle/crosshair style and both sides do see it. I also have "targeted" indicators (red crosshairs) on tokens so the PC can see visibly what they have selected for targets (tho if they mouse over their token it draws the lines still as well).

Probably the wrong thread for this but yeah; it doesn't work for players. I would have reported it but I assumed this was expected behaviour. I didn't need the extension for me really since I use the centre on next actor option and zoom into the map so that it's obvious. But I did use it for a couple of sessions for the players aid. But since they weren't seeing it I removed it.

The first image is the DM view and the second the players one.

wndrngdru
February 1st, 2020, 01:59
Interesting. I still can't think of why I'd need this. The opposite way around now, that would be useful.

The opposite way already works. Double-clicking on the portrait in the CT entry centers on that token on the map.
I can see this being quite useful. Say one of the characters is getting ready to attack "Goblin 26" on the map and I notice that there's an effect (that should no longer be there) on that goblin that's going to affect the roll the player is about to make. I want to remove that effect prior to the player rolling. The only way for me to do that is to search through the CT for Goblin 26. It can be a pain finding it when a large battle is at play.

maugrim8866
February 8th, 2021, 21:05
The opposite way already works. Double-clicking on the portrait in the CT entry centers on that token on the map.
I can see this being quite useful. Say one of the characters is getting ready to attack "Goblin 26" on the map and I notice that there's an effect (that should no longer be there) on that goblin that's going to affect the roll the player is about to make. I want to remove that effect prior to the player rolling. The only way for me to do that is to search through the CT for Goblin 26. It can be a pain finding it when a large battle is at play.

That is exactly the functionality I am missing with the Combat Enhancer in Unity.
Because of the lack of Support for 5e Combat Enhancer extension, does anyone know of an extension that would provide functionality like this?

Thanks