PDA

View Full Version : Need some brave souls running Windows

Moon Wizard
January 29th, 2020, 03:49
One of the reasons why I have been more quiet in the FGU forums over the last few weeks is that I have been re-implementing the whole network system. We had some serious concerns about the lack of maintenance of the network library we originally chose two years ago; plus we wanted to move away from trying to write our own lobby/cloud servers, which was becoming problematic. After a few prototypes, I was able to get another solution up and running on the Windows build. However, I want to put it through a few paces before releasing it to all the beta testers.

If you are up for a little extra special testing, please switch to the "Dev" update channel, run a new Update and try the new build. We can use this thread to coordinate testing connections amongst each other. Once I verify with Ryan that we can get the Mac build online and once I've been able to test with a few people, I plan to move into the Live channel and pick up the update frequency again.

Regards,
JPG

YAKO SOMEDAKY
January 29th, 2020, 04:05
Lua, I will make the change in my FGU and I will perform tests, but I am always in doubt only should the host be Dev or the others too?

damned
January 29th, 2020, 04:09
Lua, I will make the change in my FGU and I will perform tests, but I am always in doubt only should the host be Dev or the others too?

Everyone should be on the same build.
Eg all on Live or Test or Dev.

Kelrugem
January 29th, 2020, 04:17
I just updated to Dev, so whenever someone with the Dev build sees my campaign open then please join for testing :)

Probably I will run it in the background from time to time and therefore I may not be immediately there to test other things :D (but the sound-ding is activated for whispers such that you can try to annoy me with the whisper-ding to get my attention :D)

Moon Wizard
January 29th, 2020, 05:07
The current Live version and the Dev version will not be able to talk to each other and use completely different lobby systems.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 29th, 2020, 05:43
Where is it pulling rulesets from?
C:\Users\damian.hupfeld\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks \Fantasy Grounds\rulesets is not loading my current build of MoreCore.... it has an old build and I dont know where from!

Edit - found it!
C:\Users\damian.hupfeld\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks \Fantasy Grounds\channels\Dev\rulesets

Moon Wizard
January 29th, 2020, 06:52
Yes, the channels now have their own folder space, so that you can switch between Live and Dev without having to do a full update. A special request from Doug.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 29th, 2020, 07:06
Anyone is welcome to join my table...

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2020, 14:26
Mine's up too.

Kelrugem
January 29th, 2020, 17:42
I joined Zacchaeus's game. I was able to join, to create a character and to write chat messages. Then I tried to load the D&D 5e PHB; FGU was still somewhat responsive but chat messages and rolls were not posted into the chat anymore (not sure about Zacchaeus, he was eating while I secretly joined and tested :D)

The PHB got never loaded and then the game crashed with the following error messages:

[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (stringcontrol) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (stringcontrol) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (buttoncontrol) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (textwidget) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (buttoncontrol) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (textwidget) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (genericcontrol) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (GameSystem) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (genericcontrol) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (CharManager) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (VersionManager2) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[29.01.2020 18:03:35] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (CombatManager2) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.

Zacchaeus also wrote me that the game seemingly crashes after being open for around an hour, therefore I am not sure whether this had to do with the PHB (but the PHB never got loaded as described) :)

I hope this bit helps

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2020, 17:46
Starting up is fine and I've had a couple people connect.

However I get disconnects after a while telling me that there's a fatal network engine error and connection is then lost.

There's also these errors on start up
Frame hotkeytitlebox contains out-of-range values in Middle.
Frame hotkeytitlebox contains out-of-range values in Right.

But those don't actually show unless the console is enabled and don't seem to be affecting anything.

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2020, 17:50
Follow up; in addition to just disconnecting after a while. It seems if someone joins and then tries to do stuff then we get a disconnect.

Same error as above - Just Fatal Network engine. No further details.

Kelrugem
January 29th, 2020, 17:52
Follow up; in addition to just disconnecting after a while. It seems if someone joins and then tries to do stuff then we get a disconnect.

Same error as above - Just Fatal Network engine. No further details.

Yup, it seems that that happened after I start to load the PHB (or already when choosing the character)

Moon Wizard
January 29th, 2020, 22:16
I wasn't able to recreate on my LAN, so I'll need more details.

* Which side is getting the fatal error (GM/player/both)?
* Where are GM and player located (same LAN, same country, ...)?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
January 29th, 2020, 22:26
Also, did this occur while doing stuff? Or just sitting there? Or logging in?

Thanks,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 29th, 2020, 22:34
I was getting the error as GM. It happened when nothing was happening at all (well at least nothing was happening with FG). Kelugrem is in Switzerland I believe and I’m in Scotland. When he connected and tried to use the PHB I got the error and I was disconnected.

One thing I just thought about. I had Classic running as well since I was working on some stuff. Would that have any effect? I’d need to do more testing tomorrow on that.

Kelrugem
January 29th, 2020, 23:24
I wasn't able to recreate on my LAN, so I'll need more details.

* Which side is getting the fatal error (GM/player/both)?
* Where are GM and player located (same LAN, same country, ...)?

Thanks,
JPG

I didn't get the fatal error, only the one I posted :)

Today I was in Lyon in France (but I am also often in Switzerland due to my job which is just 2 hours from here, so Zacchaeus was basically correct with respect to my location :D)

Kelrugem
January 30th, 2020, 05:42
Now I was the GM and Damned joined my game :)

I didn't get the fatal error as Zacchaeus did; even with FGC opened in the background. Damned was able to open modules and to create a character

On my side there were no problems with sharing images etc. (though I had some short stutterings from time to time)

But Damned's UI got unresponsive and laggy, he couldn't really do anything on the shared image. But that may be due to that the image shared had accidentally a size of 7200*3600 (sorry damned, I should have checked that first :) )

When Damned put the map into the background the game crashed, but this may be due to the known issue about the drop of performance when a map is in the background

But I am really not sure what caused Zacchaeus's fatal error, I couldn't reproduce that (and my game was open more than two hours, so I also didn't have this after an hour as Zacchaeus did)

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2020, 09:36
Now I was the GM and Damned joined my game :)

I didn't get the fatal error as Zacchaeus did; even with FGC opened in the background. Damned was able to open modules and to create a character

You were just lucky :)

MW and I were able to recreate last night. But it's interesting you didn't see it.

Kelrugem
January 30th, 2020, 14:39
You were just lucky :)

MW and I were able to recreate last night. But it's interesting you didn't see it.

Ah, okay :) Hm, interesting that we got different results; or my luck is good in its work :D

Trenloe
January 30th, 2020, 14:57
Running two applications listening on the same port - and having something connecting on that port is going to cause issues.

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2020, 15:18
Running two applications listening on the same port - and having something connecting on that port is going to cause issues.

Yes, I did consider that afterwards; but MW and I were able to recreate issues later with just Unity running. I think MW has a handle on what the issue might be and no doubt it will be extremely technical.

Moon Wizard
January 30th, 2020, 18:13
The new library has an entire mediation layer which attempts different connection types (direct, punchthrough, relay). Zacchaeus got a "relay" connection when we encountered the issues, so I believe the issue is most likely with that connection type. Luckily, the network library has an option to force a relay connection, so I'm hoping I can recreate. Having to rebuild my dev computer right this minute, but will be looking at later today.

Thanks for the help so far,
JPG

damned
January 30th, 2020, 22:26

Whichever one is launched first will grab the port.
Only one app can bind to a port.
I had two sessions of FGC running and then launched FGU and got a connection via the lobby.
Didnt check any logs to see detail though.

pollux
January 31st, 2020, 14:24
I could probably do a test session either day this weekend after 8pm eastern. I have a decent understanding of socket programming (at least on Linux) and can generate/analyze pcap traces with wireshark (in addition to whatever we can get out of log files), so could probably help generate some detailed reports if we can repro anything interesting. I only have one machine that runs windows though, so until there is a linux build I need a buddy to do connection testing with.