PDA

View Full Version : Question before I get FG: LAN / IP connections

Tropico
December 2nd, 2006, 23:55
Hey all, I've been looking at some virtual tabletops and Fantasy Grounds seems not only to be among the best but also to have a lively and active community and development, so I'm leaning heavily towards it.

I have one question though; to play it's me a couple roommates in my place on the same DSL router, as well as a couple cousins who live separately.

So essentially, if we all get FG, I will be DMing / hosting, two players will be on the same LAN and trying to connect via my network IP, and the other two or three will be connecting remotely via the internet IP (I know all about port forwarding though, no worries there).

Will it work? Is it possible for some players to connect via the internal network IP of say 192.168.1.93, and the others over the regular internet IP with forwarded port? It does become a bit of an important point for us.

If it isn't possible, is there some workaround somewhere for people on a LAN to connect to the same IP that they're on? (I doubt it..)

Thanks all for any help!

Yenooc
December 3rd, 2006, 02:01
I couldn't begin to explain the technical details, but I can tell you that I have FG licenses on three computers in my home (2 x Full, 1 x Lite) using the same cable connection. No problems. I can even start two FG windows on the same computer.

Others will have to tell you how it is done. :o

TarynWinterblade
December 3rd, 2006, 02:06
The short answer: Yes, both LAN and WAN users will be able to connect at the same time.

The somewhat longer answer: I always have a second computer connected on my LAN so that I can watch how things show up from a player's perspective (also useful so that I can have other information up on one screen... I was looking over 4 character's sheets the other day)

You'll want to forward TCP port 1802 to your computer's IP address. Have your LAN users connect to your private IP. Have your WAN users (aka everybody else ;) ) connect to your public IP.

Alternatively, you can get a service like no-ip.com, and your WAN users can just connect to yourname.no-ip.com everytime, instead of your public IP (which of course, may change, depending on how your DSL deals with it).

Hope that helps :)

Tropico
December 3rd, 2006, 02:22
That is awesome, thank you! :)

richvalle
December 3rd, 2006, 03:18
And welcome to the boards. :)

rv