PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e Forge Question

aGeekNamedShane
January 22nd, 2020, 19:09
I'm trying to make a cloak that gives a +2 to AC when worn, but I can't figure it out. Has anyone ever put a spell on a mundane item like this to make a new magic item? If so, how?

Shane

foolios
January 22nd, 2020, 19:33
I am trying to do something similar. I was able to create the magic cloak +2 but I don't know how to add a spell ability to it. Or attack ability if you will.

I am going to log in and see if I can post the instructions on how I added the cloak.

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2020, 19:45
To use the forge you need a mundane item and a magic item template (or templates) to merge with. Also the items must be the same type. So both sides must be a weapon or armour or potion etc.

You cannot merge an item with a spell and you can only merge a spell scroll with another spell scroll.

So in order to create a cloak +2 you would need to merge a cloak with an existing magic item template of a cloak +2 which doesn't exist (and kinda defeats the purpose if it did exist). You can't merge it with Armour +2 since those are not compatible items. You could merge a cloak with two Cloaks of Protection but that gives you a weird result.

For what you want to do the best solution is to create the item as a unique item; that is without using the forge.

If the item can be used to cast a spell then just drag the spell into the item description area and that will create a link to the spell.

foolios
January 22nd, 2020, 21:32
@Zacchaeus
Thanks so much for that information. That is absolutely awesome!

EDIT: I'm not having any luck with creating the item or spell combination.
I tried creating them both and adding to the sheet as well as adding the spell to the item's descriptor(works).
I can't seem to find a way to add an attack ability onto the PC Sheet.
I would like it to appear as a spell appears when I drag it's icon from the spell table, or like when I add a weapon and equip it.

Any more assistance would be appreciated. I use a lot of custom magic items with abilities and would love to be able to add that functionality.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

foolios
January 22nd, 2020, 23:22
I just learned from a video how you can right click on the item ability box to add spell/ability damage.

NICE!!!!!

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2020, 23:44
jolly Good.

Chuckhdtv
September 10th, 2020, 17:22
The Advanced effects extension is great to create all sorts of special items. I just installed it and frankly, it should be part of basic FG.