PDA

View Full Version : How can we stop spam on FG forum?

Astinus
November 30th, 2006, 17:20
When I signed in this morning, 6 of 11 new posts were spam. It's been getting worse recently. Can anything be done about it in an automated sense, or do they have to be removed manually? It's so invasive to see junk tainting this really cool forum.

acmer
November 30th, 2006, 19:36
There's plenty of solutions if you look for forum spam on google. 5 second minimum message typing limit sounded nice. If the message was written in less than 5 secs, pressing submit would act like pressing preview. Bots think the message is sent as they "pressed submit", but regular users just see a preview and can resubmit the post.

Wraith
November 30th, 2006, 20:04
I too, think that the Dev's need to do something about the growing number of automated or posts in bad taste. The spams about none forum topics don't bother me. I can explain to my son what weight loss meds are, but comments about private parts or other conduct is uncalled for. There are plenty of forums that cater to those perverts. Why do they have to trash our site? I would like to see some kind of censorship on message content. I think this would as limit harsh language in replies to other bashings I have seen in the past.

And thats my 2 coppers.

Yenooc
November 30th, 2006, 22:48
Let me add my voice to this plea. The Commons has become a dumping place for this junk :mad: , so I usually skip checking for new threads here . . . The title of this thread caught my eye ;) during one of my infrequent checks to see if the junk was still flowing in. It is--and at an increasing rate, it seems.

wavecutter
December 4th, 2006, 14:45
Let me add my voice to this plea. The Commons has become a dumping place for this junk :mad: , so I usually skip checking for new threads here . . . The title of this thread caught my eye ;) during one of my infrequent checks to see if the junk was still flowing in. It is--and at an increasing rate, it seems.

is there a reason your font has to be larger and bolded?

Wraith
December 4th, 2006, 16:25
What does it matter how bold or how big his font is?
This is a discussion about spam on our forum and not the type of font anyone uses.

Ged
December 4th, 2006, 18:31
The spam situation has worsened quite a bit during the past few days and we'll make up something to counter it. In the meanwhile, we'll just take those messages off the boards.

Astinus
December 4th, 2006, 21:20
Thanks Ged. It already looks better. As for the bold/font issue, let's not spam up the anti-spam thread :D Although Wraith did make me laugh.

Yenooc
December 4th, 2006, 21:52

No reason other than it is just a little quirk of mine. :D I try to use the same user name, signature quotation, font, icon, etc. on all the forums in which I participate. Of course, if a forum doesn't offer it, or if it requires computer skill above kindergarten level, I just go with whatever I find. ;)

Wraith
December 5th, 2006, 16:03
Thanks to all the Devs the forum does look a lot better.

The spam situation has worsened quite a bit during the past few days and we'll make up something to counter it. In the meanwhile, we'll just take those messages off the boards.

Illrigger
December 5th, 2006, 22:13
It's not just here. Someone recently came up with a way to bypass those nifty graphical security code boxes, and since then spam has been up on every board I've visited. Someone will have to come up with a new security feature, I guess.

Toadwart
December 5th, 2006, 23:48
What about the death sentence for convicted spammers? That should make em think twice...

Dupre
December 7th, 2006, 21:06
We've done some changes now. At least automated registration scripts will fail.

Doodec
December 11th, 2006, 20:34
Death sentence ??? To good in my humble opinion...