PDA

View Full Version : Syrinscape > is there an alternative or its best for FGU?

Larsenex
January 21st, 2020, 18:06
Greetings,

I really want sounds/music in my games. After reading the FGU wikii and reading several old posts, I now see that everyone uses Syrinscape.

I am holding out for Unity before I make a final decision but is Syrinscape worth getting if you want to add sounds/music to your game?

celestian
January 21st, 2020, 22:00
Greetings,

I really want sounds/music in my games. After reading the FGU wikii and reading several old posts, I now see that everyone uses Syrinscape.

I am holding out for Unity before I make a final decision but is Syrinscape worth getting if you want to add sounds/music to your game?

For now I think it's probably the most elegant solution.

If/when they add support for sounds within FGU, that will change I image.

Zacchaeus
January 21st, 2020, 22:04
Since you'll have to use the DOE Sound extension to get sound at all I believe that you can point to any url to play a sound. It probably depends on what kind of sounds you need or want, and when you wan to play them.

JohnQPublic
January 22nd, 2020, 03:59
It's the best option. There are tons of great sounds. I absolutely despise the 'organization', but you can avoid it by getting the Fantasy Grounds Sounds mod for a few dollars.

celestian
January 22nd, 2020, 04:04
It's the best option. There are tons of great sounds. I absolutely despise the 'organization', but you can avoid it by getting the Fantasy Grounds Sounds mod for a few dollars.

That's one of my biggest gripes about it. The search is almost useless.

Hector Trelane
January 22nd, 2020, 04:37
Depends on your use of sound: effects, ambience, music...
Low maintenance and less can be more sometimes

Try tabletop audio and YouTube as well

Trenloe
January 22nd, 2020, 08:42
If you’re looking for good background music to play, there’s a few things on YouTube and also look out for computer games with good background music MP3 files included as an extra. gog.com has the D&D games relatively cheaply (and they’re frequently on sale) - the "Goodies" section will list if there are soundtrack files included. Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. are the ones to look at.

Hector Trelane
January 22nd, 2020, 14:32
Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale

There’s a fun trip on the Way Back Machine. I haven’t said those names for awhile!

Come to think of it, I still have Neverwinter Nights on CD-ROM... maybe I could reinstall and access those sound files...

celestian
January 22nd, 2020, 18:39
If you’re looking for good background music to play, there’s a few things on YouTube and also look out for computer games with good background music MP3 files included as an extra. gog.com has the D&D games relatively cheaply (and they’re frequently on sale) - the "Goodies" section will list if there are soundtrack files included. Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. are the ones to look at.

I went a little crazy over the holidays getting all of the sound tracks for these types of games. The upside is they were dirt cheap on GOG.

I can't recommend GOG enough. If you want to get these games and sound tracks (included with games) it's the best place IMO.

StoryWeaver
January 22nd, 2020, 20:11
For a free synchronized ambient sound and music streaming service I'd suggest:

https://www.mycircle.tv/

Your players can connect to your room without even setting up an account, and you can stream from thousands of music tracks and ambient sound recordings directly from youtube, vimeo and soundcloud, to everyone around the "gaming table".

You all keep a browser open on the page in the background, and you can search and select tracks on the fly during your game. Everyone have their individual volume controller but you can easily set it up so only you the DM/GM (room owner) can control the playing or stopping of the audio stream.

rbeard101
January 23rd, 2020, 20:54
I'm really concerned with dulux-oz leaving and has just announced he will no longer support the sound extension among his other extensions. He has also said he will not hand over the ongoing support for his extensions. Where does that leave Syrinscape's integration with Fantasy Grounds???

Trenloe
January 23rd, 2020, 21:06
I'm really concerned with dulux-oz leaving and has just announced he will no longer support the sound extension among his other extensions. He has also said he will not hand over the ongoing support for his extensions. Where does that leave Syrinscape's integration with Fantasy Grounds???
It's an interesting situation to be sure. He's within his rights to pull his code from the forums.

However, there's the sound modules that he sells on DMs Guild (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Matthew%20J%20Black) that are paid for and rely on his extensions to work. If there's a problem with the extension not working in the future that could now potentially leave paid customers without being able to use the product they've purchased. Knowing Dulux I'm sure that he'll cater for people who've paid for either of these products - hopefully hosting the required FG extensions outside of this forum. But that is just my guess...

Kelrugem
January 23rd, 2020, 23:02

By this post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43933-New-Way-To-Create-Sound-Triggers-in-Fantasy-Grounds, it seems that there is a way to create sound triggers without the extension; just in case :) but a bit more steps to do

vvZODvv
January 24th, 2020, 19:09
By this post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43933-New-Way-To-Create-Sound-Triggers-in-Fantasy-Grounds, it seems that there is a way to create sound triggers without the extension; just in case :) but a bit more steps to do

Yep this way works fine. I've used Dulux's extensions a lot in the past, but the current game I run uses MoreCore which Dulux no longer supported with his extension. I turned to this method, and although not as convenient at first, once you get your process down for creating the links (I do them in batches, for example), it isn't too bad. I still prefer paying someone to do the work for me though :)

mattekure
January 24th, 2020, 21:41
Some time tonight I Rob2e and I will be publishing a module to DMG with all the sound links that Syrinscape offers. The links will trigger syrinscape sounds but it does not require DOE at all. I am also working on an extension that will allow triggering the new syrinscape online

Hector Trelane
January 24th, 2020, 21:54
Some time tonight I Rob2e and I will be publishing a module to DMG with all the sound links that Syrinscape offers. The links will trigger syrinscape sounds but it does not require DOE at all. I am also working on an extension that will allow triggering the new syrinscape online

Sounds good keep us posted. I am hoping for broad compatibility (MoreCore, CoreRPG, even old editions of FG) ... I tend to play indie games and would love to be able to use more sound link support.

mattekure
January 24th, 2020, 21:57
The way I made it, it should work in most if not all rulesets. The sound links are all created in basic story entries using corerpg as the base.

wndrngdru
January 25th, 2020, 02:41
the way i made it, it should work in most if not all rulesets. The sound links are all created in basic story entries using corerpg as the base.

squeeeeee!!!

Beemanpat
January 25th, 2020, 10:59
Excited to try this

mattekure
January 25th, 2020, 18:03
I wasnt able to publish last night, but my sound link module is finally published. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/301496/?affiliate_id=712946

This is specifically for the Syrinscape Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Boardgame Player clients. It will not work with the Syrinscape Online. You must have the Syrinscape Player running. I am making progress on an extension and new module which will allow Syrinscape Online functionality. When they are complete, they will be added to this package, not sold separately. Also with this package, future updates are free.

I plan on updating somewhere between monthly and quarterly depending on how often Syrinscape releases new sounds.

Hector Trelane
January 25th, 2020, 18:16
I wasnt able to publish last night, but my sound link module is finally published. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/301496/?affiliate_id=712946

This is specifically for the Syrinscape Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Boardgame Player clients. It will not work with the Syrinscape Online. You must have the Syrinscape Player running. I am making progress on an extension and new module which will allow Syrinscape Online functionality. When they are complete, they will be added to this package, not sold separately. Also with this package, future updates are free.

I plan on updating somewhere between monthly and quarterly depending on how often Syrinscape releases new sounds.

Great...draggable links I can pin to a map or NPC? Works with MoreCore? If yes I will happily buy.

PS a screen shot or two would be great

mattekure
January 25th, 2020, 18:25
I just tested it in MoreCore and it works fine. something to keep in mind. Syrinscape seems to be sluggish when its first booting up (at least for me) and sounds may not play immediately. I recommend having syrinscape open for a couple of minutes and let it get fully ready. Once that is ready, sound links work just fine.

notrealdan
January 25th, 2020, 18:55
Thank you! I just tested and it works beautifully in FGC!

In FGU, I get an error when loading the module in the Library (fully updated and a clean campaign):
[1/25/2020 11:49:24 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Process Data File (Syrinscape Soundlinks): An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 656, position 34.

But I'm not really worried about that, just FYI. :)

mattekure
January 25th, 2020, 18:59
I’ll test and push a fix so it’s compatible with both. Thanks

Beemanpat
January 25th, 2020, 19:07
Got it in my wishlist gonna buy later when i get home to the computer. Thanks

mattekure
January 25th, 2020, 20:23
Thank you! I just tested and it works beautifully in FGC!

In FGU, I get an error when loading the module in the Library (fully updated and a clean campaign):
[1/25/2020 11:49:24 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Process Data File (Syrinscape Soundlinks): An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 656, position 34.

But I'm not really worried about that, just FYI. :)

I got it fixed for Unity, the next update you see come out today will be compatible with both Unity and Classic. It was a simple fix, Unity is just more strict on the XML and there were a few stray '&' symbols that it didnt like.

notrealdan
January 25th, 2020, 20:31
I got it fixed for Unity, the next update you see come out today will be compatible with both Unity and Classic. It was a simple fix, Unity is just more strict on the XML and there were a few stray '&' symbols that it didnt like.

I figured it was something simple like that. Good job!

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2020, 21:01
Mattekure, you should start a new thread for this under the Extensions sub-forum or such :)

mattekure
January 25th, 2020, 21:03
good idea

mattekure
January 25th, 2020, 21:31
Thread created for my sound link module https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53459-MK-Syrinscape-Sound-Links-module&p=473259#post473259

Hector Trelane
January 25th, 2020, 23:13
Just got this, thanks! Working in MoreCore. This is a good use of $--offload lots of link management to a paid mod such as this.

As we find corrections, how shall we report them? I'll send you a PM for something I spotted.

mattekure
January 26th, 2020, 00:27
The best place for any bugs or corrections would be on the new thread I created for this here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53459-MK-Syrinscape-Sound-Links-module&p=473258#post473258

Dark Lord Galen
January 30th, 2020, 17:01
Well I've looked as Syrinscape because of all the bells and whistles connecting them to Lone Wolf, Paizo and WOC.... while certally eye appealing, I just can't see paying a monthly fee for it. Several years ago I started using Scene Sound. and while not so eye dazzling visually it does a decent job of looping and playing sound files back even in multiple layers. And bes of all its OGL community driven so the cost is whatever you want to donate, and or pay for the mp3 files etc you gather... Now I had no problem using it stand alone at the tabletop or attaching it to Battlegrounds or D20Pro.. haven't tried crossing the bridge with it to FG yet but guess I will give it a go before dolling out monthly dollars on a perk.
Just my two Coppers
DLG

https://scene-sound.software.informer.com/download/#downloading

mattekure
February 20th, 2020, 00:14
Since you'll have to use the DOE Sound extension to get sound at all I believe that you can point to any url to play a sound. It probably depends on what kind of sounds you need or want, and when you wan to play them.

The DOE extensions are no longer available. There are 2 alternatives currently available to play sounds. You can find them over in the extensions forum.

Martin153
February 23rd, 2020, 20:23
I play music/ambiance through discord using a bot... works a treat!

Elvedui
March 17th, 2020, 20:12
I love the syrianscape sound effects. I don't care much about ambient music, but I will use it. I care a lot more about sound effects and have had trouble figuring out how to play syrianscape over discord. Where is the best place to get sound effects? I don't like placing links for people to click on since that is less immersive.

vegaserik
March 17th, 2020, 23:08
I play music/ambiance through discord using a bot... works a treat!

Me too.

mattekure
March 17th, 2020, 23:11
Ever since I learned about the Syrinscape Online player, I have used it. Its proven to be so much easier for me. With the subscription, I can upload my own sounds to use, or use any of the ones they provide. And with the online player, I no longer have to pipe the music through discord, cleanfeed, voicemeeter, virtual cables or anything. Each player downloads the client, and when a sound is triggered, it plays on their device.

Beemanpat
March 17th, 2020, 23:26
Ever since I learned about the Syrinscape Online player, I have used it. Its proven to be so much easier for me. With the subscription, I can upload my own sounds to use, or use any of the ones they provide. And with the online player, I no longer have to pipe the music through discord, cleanfeed, voicemeeter, virtual cables or anything. Each player downloads the client, and when a sound is triggered, it plays on their device.

Yes I second all of what you have just said. Syrinscape online player has made things much easier for me and my players love the sounds

Elvedui
March 22nd, 2020, 17:48

Unfortunately, i hate subscription models. I own alot of the syrianscape content, but I don't want to subsribe to it. I assume the online player is only through subscription?

mattekure
March 22nd, 2020, 17:50
Unfortunately, i hate subscription models. I own alot of the syrianscape content, but I don't want to subsribe to it. I assume the online player is only through subscription?

The online player can be used with content you already own. But, a subscription is required to allow players to connect to your audio. So you can use the online player in the same way you use the Fantasy or Sci-Fi players. You will need to use some other method to get audio to your players such as voicemeeter, discord, etc.

Elvedui
March 29th, 2020, 19:35
Thanks. I think i will dump syrianscape ultimately. It is absurd that they would charge for a subscription when i own so much content. I find voicemeter and discord not a great way to get the audio to players. I am looking for a natural option without links and not so complicated as voicemeter which i don't think i ever had working properly despite following the directions i found.

superteddy57
March 29th, 2020, 20:36
Discord have some really great bots for playing sound. My personal favorite is Rythm bot. I can ask it to play youtube clips and spotify clips. This may not be a complete solution, but does help in my personal group's games.

celestian
March 29th, 2020, 20:39
Discord have some really great bots for playing sound. My personal favorite is Rythm bot. I can ask it to play youtube clips and spotify clips. This may not be a complete solution, but does help in my personal group's games.

Bots are great for ambient background audio on discord I've found. The sound quality on most is reasonable ... you just need to setup the mechanics to trigger them that works for you.

Personally, I'm impatiently waiting for direct audio support in FGU ;)

Larsenex
March 30th, 2020, 23:20
Direct Audio support within Unity? Is that a rumor I can spread around like a virus?

celestian
March 31st, 2020, 00:12
Direct Audio support within Unity? Is that a rumor I can spread around like a virus?

It wont be in at release but it's something they have said they want to add down the road.

Arbroath
July 10th, 2020, 16:25
So am I right in understanding that if I subscribe to Syrinscape and it's Online Player, i won't need other FG extensions such as Audio Overseer, etc?

mattekure
July 10th, 2020, 16:51
So am I right in understanding that if I subscribe to Syrinscape and it's Online Player, i won't need other FG extensions such as Audio Overseer, etc?

The FG extensions only provide the convenience of triggering the sounds in Syrinscape directly from FG.

Using Syrinscape Online, you can use their Master Interface to trigger the sounds manually without anything in FG. Or if you use the Fantasy/Sci-Fi player you can trigger the sounds directly in the app.

Arbroath
July 10th, 2020, 17:25
Thank you