PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous powers, immunity, special defenses, etc.

graziano.girelli
January 19th, 2020, 15:21
Hi, Celestian,

I'm inserting several monsters taken from the Forgotten realms Monstrous Compendium and would like to ask you if there is a guide I know how to translate some values in the creature's tab.

For example, the Aballin can only be hit by +1 weapons, immune to slashing weapons (and this I entered [IMMUNE:slashing] ) and has the ability to drown its victims.

How should this power be inserted in the tab?

Many thanks for your help.

Edit: I'm also adding items from Magic Encyclopedia. Can i have a suggestion about about adding powers to magic items? If there is a wiki about this, it should be great!!!
In Item tab, if i choose ring as type, i have a "properties" field... What info do i must fill inside this field?

celestian
January 19th, 2020, 19:52
Hi, Celestian,

I'm inserting several monsters taken from the Forgotten realms Monstrous Compendium and would like to ask you if there is a guide I know how to translate some values in the creature's tab.

For example, the Aballin can only be hit by +1 weapons, immune to slashing weapons (and this I entered [IMMUNE:slashing] ) and has the ability to drown its victims.

How should this power be inserted in the tab?

Many thanks for your help.

Edit: I'm also adding items from Magic Encyclopedia. Can i have a suggestion about about adding powers to magic items? If there is a wiki about this, it should be great!!!
In Item tab, if i choose ring as type, i have a "properties" field... What info do i must fill inside this field?

Your effect to make them immune to slashing is correct. Add an additional effect of "IMMUNE: piercing,bludgeoning,!magic". That will also make them immune to pierce/bludgeoning weapons that are not magic.

JohnD
January 19th, 2020, 20:22
This brings another question to mind; does the ability to differentiate between levels of magic exist? Say something needs +2 or better to be hurt; so it would be immune to normal and +1 weapons.

graziano.girelli
January 19th, 2020, 20:27
Your effect to make them immune to slashing is correct. Add an additional effect of "IMMUNE: piercing,bludgeoning,!magic". That will also make them immune to pierce/bludgeoning weapons that are not magic.

Thanks!
May i refer to this page for sintax of the effects: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects?
Or is there another source to use, for monsters and/or items?

celestian
January 19th, 2020, 20:35
This brings another question to mind; does the ability to differentiate between levels of magic exist? Say something needs +2 or better to be hurt; so it would be immune to normal and +1 weapons.

Yes, tho it gets a bit more complicated with that.

IMMUNE:slashing,piercing,bludgeoning,!magic +3,!magic +4,!magic +5

That would make them immune to all but +3 and above weapons. The damage type from the weapon would need to be something like "slashing,magic +3"

Using !magic is the same as using !magic +1.

graziano.girelli
January 19th, 2020, 21:48
Thanks for the help.
I just finish to create the treasure generator tables, exactly as reported in DM GUIDE.
Now, slowly, i will add all the items. In the tables description, in magic items, there are all the Encyclopedia Magica items (only names, not all the infos). Day by day i will add all items so i can link them to the tables, and so when i need to create a treasure after killing a monster... well, i will have everything in parcels.