PDA

View Full Version : Connection issues

maple_butter
January 18th, 2020, 23:09
Hey folks.

I backed Unity and I'm just now starting to play around with it.

I can't seem to get a player connection to the program. I'm attempting to connect on LAN, but I've also tried a second instance on the same PC. All I get is this response. "Unable to connect to host - Could not connect to the host. Verify network settings and try again."

I have port 1802 forwarded on my router. I can't figure what is causing this.

Anyone else run in to this?

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2020, 23:14
You don’t need to worry about port forwarding in Unity if you use the cloud. That is set the game to public.

If the host and player are on the same network then set the game to local and the player should connect using the local IP address of the host’s computer. To connect a second instance use local and connect using localhost in the connection box rather than the IP address.

maple_butter
January 18th, 2020, 23:31
I've been trying it exactly as you describe and getting the error I describe. Really not sure what to try next.

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2020, 07:45
When connecting on LAN, make sure to use the internal IP address. Also, you need to make sure that your network connection is set to Private, and not blocked by any security software.

Regards,
JPG

MostlyDeadpool
January 19th, 2020, 15:31
I am indeed using the internal IP address. The network connection is set to private on all three devices that I've tried. I have rules set in my firewall to allow fantasy grounds to pass through. I've even tried shutting the firewall off entirely. Same issue.
Thoughts?

notrealdan
January 19th, 2020, 17:58
Did the host instance have a campaign loaded and running or was it sitting at the launcher? The server portion of FG only operates while actually in a campaign.

On the host system, can you launch a second instance of FG and connect as a player to "localhost" instead of to an IP address?

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 18:01
I do have a campaign running when trying to connect. Attempting to connect to "localhost" yields the exact same result.

notrealdan
January 19th, 2020, 18:07
Did you happen to change the port used by FG by chance (maybe by accident)? Before starting the campaign on the host, does your "Campaign Details" section look pretty much like this, or different?

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 18:08
Sorry to say that's not the issue. Campaign details looks exactly like that.

notrealdan
January 19th, 2020, 18:14
Have you restarted the host computer recently (since this started)?

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 18:15
Within the past couple days for sure. I'll do so again right now.

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 18:23
Just tried rebooted the system. Same result whether on LAN or localhost.

notrealdan
January 19th, 2020, 18:29
Do you have any anti-virus, software firewall, or other security software on your system, other than what comes with Windows? It feels like something is interfering with the connection.

I wonder if something else could be using tcp port 1802 on your system (only one program can use a tcp port at a time). You definitely don't have FG Classic or yet another FGU instance open and running at the same time, do you? :)

As a test, try changing the port on the host and client to something else, say 1902, and test again. If that works, something else is probably using port 1802. Just remember that you've changed it for the future (or change it back right away), and investigate what else could be using that port. If it doesn't work, and there's no other security software in the way, I might be out of ideas...

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2020, 18:29
So if a second instance of FG on the same computer as the host can not connect using a unique name and an address of localhost, then their is security software on your host computer that is blocking. Effectively, your computer is not letting applications on your own computer connect to other applications on your computer.

I would jump on Discord and make sure that you walk through the exact steps with someone. To eliminate any user error/education issues. Not sure what besides user error or security software that could cause this problem.

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 18:34
All I'm using is windows defender.
I'm not running classic at the same time, though it looks like I'll have to stick to it for the game planned on Friday. lol
User error is certainly a possibility. I've been a bad beta tester and only recently began playing with the Unity version.
I'll try a different port right away. Would that interfere with the localhost connection? To my understanding, the port should only have an effect on connection to other machines.

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 18:37
Yup. Same result using port 1902.

notrealdan
January 19th, 2020, 19:18
I'm afraid I can't think of anything else to try at the moment. As LE said, hop on Discord and ask for help there.

About your upcoming game, FGU is still in beta and isn't ready for actual play anyways. You'll almost certainly run into more problems during the game. Unless everyone in the group is cool with the game probably coming to a halt several times over one session, I'd stick with FGC for actual games for now.

maple_butter
January 19th, 2020, 19:19
I expected issues. It's a pretty casual game though, so I figured try to put it through it's paces. No worries. Easy enough to prep on FGC.

JMunsonII
March 24th, 2020, 22:38
Anybody get anywhere with this? I've also got a similar issue. Windows 10 machine w/ A/V/M turned off, Windows Firewall set to TCP/UDP->Any port. 2nd instance won't connect - just sits there forever. Going through the Cloud server works fine. Using LAN on my Mac also works fine - connects without issue on LAN setting.

JMunsonII
March 25th, 2020, 00:04
Newest patch (around 1800 EST) fixes this problem.

Whaley
March 29th, 2020, 19:34
Had the same issue, just got it resolved...here is what ultimately fixed the issue...I think...lol. I went into my firewall settings and modified my TCP and UDP rule for fantasygrounds. I selected to have a specific program (Fantasygrounds) to be allowed access to the rule instead of the default any program that meets the criteria. Then I opened Classic to see if I could get a success and windows prompted me to allow it which I did and voila it worked. Logged into Unity and low and behold...It connects as well! Hope this helps.

AznBran
April 5th, 2020, 05:02
Hey Guys I am running Unity and I cannot get my players to connect, when they actually do the entire game freezes and I have to force restart Fantasy Grounds. Anyone else had this issue? It seems to just loop on them when they try to connect to me. I am on a Mac by the way.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 09:23
Can you try running /flushdb to remove any records you've previously shared with them, before starting the next session?

Also, how big are the image and token files in the FGU data folder images/tokens directory as well as the campaign images/portraits/tokens directory? (both number of files and total size)

Also, what version of Mac OS are you running? And what model and year of Mac?

Regards,
JPG

AznBran
April 5th, 2020, 13:29
Can you try running /flushdb to remove any records you've previously shared with them, before starting the next session?

Also, how big are the image and token files in the FGU data folder images/tokens directory as well as the campaign images/portraits/tokens directory? (both number of files and total size)

Also, what version of Mac OS are you running? And what model and year of Mac?

Regards,
JPG

Yes I ran /flushdb
I am using only files purchased from fantasy grounds, nothing custom. Images is zero kb, tokens also zero kb, portraits 15 kb. total 15kb. I am running your Out of the Abyss campaign long with the D&D Essentials bundle.
I am on version 10.15.4 of macOS Catalina, I am on the 2018 Macbook Pro 15 inch. 2.2 GHz 6 core intel i7 with 16GB of RAM. Ive been monitoring my resources and they are not maxing out while connecting.

Thank you,

micael
April 8th, 2020, 17:41
Have the same issue with LAN-mode- put the IP adress from my laptop to portforwarding 1802 and the test on old fantasygrounds is green. All my players can connect to old fantasy grounds. But if I host a campaign with unity, my players canīt connect.
Same laptop with test green in old fantasy grounds- same external ip adress. I can join another game (LAN-mode) in unity or old fantasygrounds- have no problem with that.

With global server I have no connect problems to host a campaign (I use ultimate licence) and my players can connect, but sometimes they have a timeout, were one player canīt see anything- he can roll dice and all others can see the dice after a delay but he himself canīt see the dice and other actions.
I have to kick him and after he join again, it will take a time before the timeout occurs- its not a disconnect- I canīt see him disconnecting. Its a internal timeout for him.

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2020, 18:22
Have the same issue with LAN-mode- put the IP adress from my laptop to portforwarding 1802 and the test on old fantasygrounds is green. All my players can connect to old fantasy grounds. But if I host a campaign with unity, my players canīt connect.
Same laptop with test green in old fantasy grounds- same external ip adress. I can join another game (LAN-mode) in unity or old fantasygrounds- have no problem with that.

With global server I have no connect problems to host a campaign (I use ultimate licence) and my players can connect, but sometimes they have a timeout, were one player canīt see anything- he can roll dice and all others can see the dice after a delay but he himself canīt see the dice and other actions.
I have to kick him and after he join again, it will take a time before the timeout occurs- its not a disconnect- I canīt see him disconnecting. Its a internal timeout for him.

When you port forwarded, what protocol did you select? FGC required TCP, while FGU requires UDP. If your router permits it, set it to Both or create two rules.

If you are still having problem, please see post 1 and include the request log files.