PDA

View Full Version : Converting D&D 5e to Metric

Pentazer
January 18th, 2020, 19:23
So I've been going through the process of converting 5th edition to metric and I've hit a wall. I own the DMG, PHB, MM, XGE, VGM and MToF but I can't access any of the content to convert all the imperial measurements over to metric. All the files are password protected. Converting the data is easy enough using notepad++ ... if I could just access it. How can I go about mass changing all the units of measurement in one fell swoop?

Making the changes in FG by creating duplicates of every spell, class and so on would take an ungodly amount of wasted time, so I want to do the changes in bulk using notepad++.

LordEntrails
January 18th, 2020, 19:31
... All the files are password protected. Converting the data is easy enough using notepad++ ... if I could just access it. How can I go about mass changing all the units of measurement in one fell swoop? ...
You can't. They are encrypted in the vault as required by the IP license holder (WotC).

Pentazer
January 18th, 2020, 20:04
Wow that sucks. Hmmm, well I guess we'll just have to mental math all the spells and other units.

LordEntrails
January 18th, 2020, 20:07
The 'easiest' imo thing to do is simple say that every D&D 5 foot distance equals 2 meters. Just keep everything in D&D 5 ft squares and when you need to visualize just divide by 2.. i.e. each square is 2 meters. The only thing you need to convert for is for players to visualize how big a room is or how far away anything etc.

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2020, 22:09
Or you could try this extension https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39463-MUSE-Map-Unit-Settings-Extension-(CoreRPG)

Pentazer
January 19th, 2020, 03:11
Or you could try this extension https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39463-MUSE-Map-Unit-Settings-Extension-(CoreRPG)

Interesting! I'll give this a try!

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2020, 03:19
That will let you change the FG grid size, but imo that doesn't help a whole lot since your spell and action descriptions will still be in feet. BUT, do check it out and see if you like it. Maybe I'm wrong (last time I was wrong was about 5 minutes ago...) and hopefully it will get you closer to what you are hoping for :)