PDA

View Full Version : Genesys (FFG RPG) work in progress

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

johniba
January 16th, 2020, 20:03
EDIT: I will from now on always update this original post informing the latest available release.
EDIT 2: If you are using FG Unity, read below on how to download both rulesets from the new Fantasy Grounds Forge, which will allow you to automatically receive updates!

My TO-DO List (this is a list of requests/reports and some stuff I have on my list to do) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nP6X7rBOlNbIxQldAJujK0TvfUTlH1kA/view?usp=sharing)

Latest release:
(If you are using FG Unity and have subscribed to the rulesets in the Forge, they will be automatically downloaded for you)
Genesys: version 2024-03-27
Star Wars: version 2024-03-27
(version format denotes the day of release: year-month-day)

Latest library updates:
(only available for manual download in the google drive link provided later down in this post)
Genesys: version 2022-11-30
Star Wars: version 2023-04-28

Fantasy Flight's Genesys AND Star Wars ruleset

These are two rulesets, both compatible with Fantasy Grounds Classic and Fantasy Grounds Unity

- GENESYS: ruleset and libraries.

- STAR WARS: new ruleset and libraries.
Please notice for Star Wars, this is a new ruleset, and old campaign data and libraries from the old ruleset (known as "Star Wars EoTE") are not compatible.

How to Download and Install
Download link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UNyE7f7qbI5It8cCHmoEoWSoSeVhWxR-?usp=sharing

The above link will always have the latest updates for the Ruleset, Modules and Extensions we are working on.

The ruleset files are named:
- Genesys.pak
- StarWarsFFG.pak

Library and Extensions are listed in specific folders, easy to identify.
- Libraries - Star Wars
- Libraries - Genesys
- Extensions

Attention:The following old extension files are longer compatible! If you downloaded them in the past, please disable (you can also delete them from your extensions folder)
They are no longer compatible and also no longer needed.
- Genesys_Keyforge.ext
- Genesys_Terrinoth.ext
- Genesys_Android.ext

Fantasy Grounds Classic - Installation steps
If you are using FG Classic, you will want to download the rulesets, and also optionally the library (module) files.

1 - Download the files from the provided link above.
2) Open Fantasy Grounds
3) Locate and click on the "folder" icon (it will be on the top right corner, right under the "X" close icon)
4) a Windows Explorer window will open.
5) Save each downloaded file into their respective folders:
- Ruleset (.pak) files: save them under "rulesets"
- Library (.mod) files: save under "modules"
- Extension (.ext): should go under "extensions"

Fantasy Grounds Unity - Installation steps
If you are using FG Unity, you can subscribe to receive automatic updates for the rulesets.
Visit the following links where you can find the rulesets and subscribe. Next time you click "Check for Updates" in FGUnity, they will be downloaded, and from now on you should always receive automatic updates whenever a new version of the rulesets is released.

Genesys ruleset
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/143/view

Star Wars ruleset
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/159/view

Genesys / Star Wars Show Regular Dice Extension
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/658/view
By default, both rulesets now will hide the d4, d6, d8, d12 and d20 dice from the desktop, since they are not used.
If you want those dice back, download this extension and activate it.

Library files however are not provided as automatic downloads from the FG Forge.
You will still need to download them manually whenever a new version is released for those files.

For Library and Extensions, follow these steps for installing them in FGU:

1 - Download the files from the provided link above.
2) Open Fantasy Grounds
3) Locate and click on the "folder" icon (it will be on the TOP LEFT corner, right under the "X" close icon)
4) a Windows Explorer window will open.
5) Save each downloaded file into their respective folders:
- Library (.mod) files: save under "modules"
- Extension (.ext): should go under "extensions"
- Rulesets (.pak): should go under "rulesets"
Remember, you do not need to manually download rulesets if you are using FG Unity.
They are provided in the download link for FGClassic.
(follow the above instructions to subscribe/download the rulesets in FGU)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTENTION: The Star Wars ruleset REQUIRES the Genesys to be present, to work properly. If you want to use the Star Wars ruleset, make sure to download/subscribe to BOTH.

Notes
Sevrick is always working hard in creating and updating Libraries. Whenever a new version of a file is provided he will reply to the thread.
(I do not update this top message though)

The following extensions have been tested to be compatible with both Genesys and Star Wars FFG rulesets:
- Better Menus (Forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc))) (Forge Repository (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/69/view))
- Author (Forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc))) (Forge Repository (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/151/view))

Feedback, questions... please reply to this thread.
Also mention if it is related to Genesys or Star Wars, if relevant specifically to one of the rulesets...

Tutorials:

1)Creating Powers/Spells etca...
Right now I dont have a full tutorial but I recorded a small video showing a tricky part of the character sheet:
- How to create a "spell book", power list, etca...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXDPGM1CPdM

2) About Descriptions, libraries and "merging" them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXMp_LUvdc

3) Adding Dice and Dice symbols to your descriptions

Both rulesets accept special text code that when you type in a text box (like a description field for example) will replace and show an image representing a special dice, or a dice symbol that shows up in dice.
While editing a text field, right-click, and you will see a "help" item. Clicking this will popup a window with a simple tutorial explaining how to add symbols to text fields...

4) Creating hotkey shortcuts with dice rolls

https://youtu.be/1uNmAc57yYk

5) Career Specialization Trees
Part 1 - Creating Specialization Trees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jw0t-wizO0
Part 2 - Adding Specializations to Character/NPCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sef4btFGgL8

6) Star Wars: Force Powers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq3zKHNfXfE

viresanimi
January 16th, 2020, 20:18
I love the Genesys system! If you need someone to test it, I am right here.

Vires Animi

johniba
January 18th, 2020, 06:21
I love the Genesys system! If you need someone to test it, I am right here.

Vires Animi

Thanks Vires!

I will see that I share this with you, we might even get online and run some tests, it will be nice to get feedback from someone else

johniba
January 18th, 2020, 06:27
I have done some cleanup on the code.

The genesys dice system does not interfere with CoreRPG dice rolls:
I have a /diegen now: something like /diegen 2dAbility+2dDifficulty+bBoon can be executed. This will come in handy with light automation of skill rolls, for example.

It does not interfere with a /die roll, from CoreRPG
Also, an issue that Warhammer FRP3 and Star Wars have is that "normal" die, when rolled, will not show numbers in them in the chat window.
I have fixed that... so if I roll a normal die, it shows as expected...

Genesys die does not interfere with normal CoreRPG dice rolls, the ruleset understands when a genesys roll is being done, or a normal die roll (which can be used for anything else)

Storypoints are working: very simple though

As with the dicebox pool, the storypoints chits I imported from the star wars code. I have changed the code so it uses CoreRPG, to remove redundancy in the code.

Tomorrow I will start on the character sheet.

VenomousFiligree
January 18th, 2020, 09:19
Great work! Looking forward to the finished product.

Tiderian Prime
January 18th, 2020, 13:43
Best of luck in your endeavor. I know a bunch of players wishing to see this project succeed. In the meantime we have enjoyed playing Android and Realms of Terrinoth using the SW ext.

punisher5150
January 19th, 2020, 16:58
I too am interested in your progress. I have yet to play Genesys but have played FFG Star Wars extensively, and I know there is a current effort to get SW EotE over to UNITY. If you get the Genesys rule system working with CoreRPG, perhaps someone can create a Star Wars extension for Genesys. And I am not a software coder but perhaps making it CoreRPG based will allow it to port more easily into UNITY.

Also I believe someone (joeblack1863) in another thread was trying to make a Genesys and Star Wars dice font. Maybe you have some info that will help him. That thread is located at:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52623-Custom-Characters-in-OTF-TTF-fonts

Valatar
January 19th, 2020, 21:48
Genesys is just the Star Wars system with the serial numbers filed off, the only thing that needs changing to switch from one to the other is to change the dice symbols and add the force die for the Star Wars game. Change the background and a couple lines of code and voila, you've got Star Wars.

Thanks tons for trying to get a CoreRPG version up and running, that should hopefully be more future-proof than the older non-core version. I'll sleep a bit better for the future of my Star Wars campaign once there's a core ruleset working in Unity.

johniba
January 20th, 2020, 05:06
Genesys is just the Star Wars system with the serial numbers filed off, the only thing that needs changing to switch from one to the other is to change the dice symbols and add the force die for the Star Wars game. Change the background and a couple lines of code and voila, you've got Star Wars.

Thanks tons for trying to get a CoreRPG version up and running, that should hopefully be more future-proof than the older non-core version. I'll sleep a bit better for the future of my Star Wars campaign once there's a core ruleset working in Unity.

Yeah, I have to agree in part with you, it is one of those situations of "if it works, dont mess with it"

I am learning so much about rulesets and extensions, that I believe I can change those dice symbols very easly in that SW extension (I have done in the Genesys ruleset already)

So why am I still working on this?

Well, the answer is not short, but I will try.
Looking at the code from the SW ruleset I can see A LOT of left over code from Warhammer one, and I cannot blame the guys who worked on it, if I knew it would take so many hours to work on cleaning the code, and making it use CoreRPG in correct places, I am not sure I would have started LOL

The other great thing about the Genesys ruleset at the moment, is that since it is CoreRPG with the Genesys extra stuff, it works with the new module structure.

Welll, but in the end, I think the best is that having a clean code that uses the standard base of Core, is that it will be so easier to maintaing, in case FFG updates stuff (and they will)

I have not tested the code in FFG Unity yet, but since I only have custom code where needed, it is probably easy to fix once the time comes.

Right now, I have finished part of the character sheet, I think the worst of it is behind me, but I only have 6 more days on vacation and I really want to have a first version before it ends :)

Ironically, I think I can later work on a SW extension for Genesys ruleset, or I believe the devs on SW ruleset could canibalize the code I worked on, to update SW

johniba
January 20th, 2020, 05:10
I too am interested in your progress. I have yet to play Genesys but have played FFG Star Wars extensively, and I know there is a current effort to get SW EotE over to UNITY. If you get the Genesys rule system working with CoreRPG, perhaps someone can create a Star Wars extension for Genesys. And I am not a software coder but perhaps making it CoreRPG based will allow it to port more easily into UNITY.

Also I believe someone (joeblack1863) in another thread was trying to make a Genesys and Star Wars dice font. Maybe you have some info that will help him. That thread is located at:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52623-Custom-Characters-in-OTF-TTF-fonts

Thank you so much for all this info!

Yes you are correct, having Genesys use CoreRPG, and since CoreRPG works in unity, means less stuff to fix (only the specific genesys code), to make it work on unity

If I have enough time after i finish the ruleset, I will start testing on unity

I will check that thread, thanks a lot

Trenloe
January 20th, 2020, 10:42
Good luck with this @johniba!

One minor comment, nothing to do with your development:

Also, an issue that Warhammer FRP3 and Star Wars have is that "normal" die, when rolled, will not show numbers in them in the chat window.
Those rulesets do show the numbers when rolling normal dice. Both rulesets specifically use new dice icons for each dice result number and display these icons - this was necessary as the dice number font was essentially blanked out so that numbers didn't display on the graphical dice symbol result icons in the chat window. Some info available in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52853-lt-die-gt-name-no-longer-accepts-period

Cool that you found a way around it with a CoreRPG based ruleset.

Valatar
January 20th, 2020, 16:15
I'm in the Unity beta, so once you have a release I'll take it and stuff it into my copy and bang on it for a while to see if any errors pop up. Core rulesets sadly aren't immune to weird glitches in Unity, but it should hopefully at least decrease the volume of code to wade through for troubleshooting.

johniba
January 20th, 2020, 20:38
I'm in the Unity beta, so once you have a release I'll take it and stuff it into my copy and bang on it for a while to see if any errors pop up. Core rulesets sadly aren't immune to weird glitches in Unity, but it should hopefully at least decrease the volume of code to wade through for troubleshooting.

Nice! Ah I am also in the beta, but I will send it to you so you can help testing, thanks a lot

sevrick
January 21st, 2020, 22:50
Oh my gosh I am so excited for this you don't even know! I hope it all goes well and thanks for doing this.

johniba
January 22nd, 2020, 07:15
Oh my gosh I am so excited for this you don't even know! I hope it all goes well and thanks for doing this.

Hey, I hear ya! I am so excited with this too

So excited, I am uploading a preview ( this is working, can actually be used to play)

Check my next msg

johniba
January 22nd, 2020, 07:19
This is a preview. I would say it is version 0.7 or something.
It is functional, but as a disclaimer, I would advise not to put your important things in it (do not waste too many hours preparing content like campain data etca without a backup)

Oh man I am also so excited!

I am clocking so many hours working on this, it is insane!
If it wasnt for my vacation, I dont think I would have pulled it off

So, This is still Work in progress, there are a few things to iron out, and features to include, but i thought I could share it already!

The ruleset is already WORKING!

So here is a quick list of what is working:

1 - Genesys narrative dice working
- you can type /diegen and roll manually (type /diegen and press enter, for instructions)
- you can also drag dice to the dice pool, or double click characteristics, initiative, or skill rolls

2 - Character sheet 90% done
- It is still work in progress, I need to add a place to input info like Motivations, fear etca
- At the moment it lists all Core skills (I am adding a neat feature that will allow you to click and change your settings (Android, Terrinoth, etca) and it will change the display of skills
- You can manually add custom skills (so you can actually play android, etca, if you want)

3 - Databases:
- I will still customize npc, items, careers, talents, etca. This is using CORE, so no custom tables needed, it is actually a lot easier customizing this way and keeps compatibility

4 - Combat tracker and initiative, and automation on combat:
- players can roll initiative (from char sheet), but there is no automation yet so you have to manually insert players and npcs in the tracker, and control from there
- no automation on combat: you can roll dice etca, but you need to calculate damage manually
- critical tables: not ready yet, but i do want to add them (and allow players to customize it)

5 - MISC:
- I removed all default dice from the ruleset, except for d10 since we use it for rolling tables like critical.
- Dice image in the desktop is now from Genesys and not star wars, but the rolled icons are still star wars (workin on this, i am very crappy with image editors so I left it for last)

I still have so much to work on, but the great thing is how the code is coming up. Whenever possible I am not touching any code from Core, making it very easy to maintain, and less prone to break on updates

Please download it, and let me know what you think.. also ask me anything and I will do my best to reply

I am still learning (I cant believe two weeks ago I had no idea how to do this...

To think that I am using my vacation time to code, being a programmer, is kind of ironic... but i havent been this excited in so long!

Download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UNyE7f7qbI5It8cCHmoEoWSoSeVhWxR-

To install, place this file in your ruleset folder in Fantasy Grounds

viresanimi
January 22nd, 2020, 08:19
Very impressed so far!

I would probably see if I could move the content from the abilities / combat tabs to the main tab, use that empty space for something. And please tell me you intend to use the charactersheet design for the npc sheet when you move on to that. It is one of the things, that make the star wars ruleset so good!

I did notice a weird little bug / behaviour. If I tried to use the skills (ie. double clicked on the skill), and added difficulty / challenge dice. If I dragged the dice from the dice box there would be no result. But if I used the checkmark to roll the dice, then the result would show.

One of these days, when my pain condition isn't absolutely torturing me, I'll see if I can fix those dice icons for you. I do like my photoshopping.

Keep up the good work. I hope you have a long vacation! *grin*

Vires Animi

johniba
January 22nd, 2020, 08:35
Very impressed so far!

I would probably see if I could move the content from the abilities / combat tabs to the main tab, use that empty space for something. And please tell me you intend to use the charactersheet design for the npc sheet when you move on to that. It is one of the things, that make the star wars ruleset so good!

I did notice a weird little bug / behaviour. If I tried to use the skills (ie. double clicked on the skill), and added difficulty / challenge dice. If I dragged the dice from the dice box there would be no result. But if I used the checkmark to roll the dice, then the result would show.

One of these days, when my pain condition isn't absolutely torturing me, I'll see if I can fix those dice icons for you. I do like my photoshopping.

Keep up the good work. I hope you have a long vacation! *grin*

Vires Animi

Hey Vires, thankd for the reply and feedback!

I still have to add a place to input motivation, fears, etca.
I am thinking of a free form field, a place the player adds notes, since this is something that can vary a lot from player to player...

Yeah that empty space, I will see wheter i use that for that missing info, or something else

The skill list I actually tried hard to make it similar to star wars, ended up consuming two days trying to separate it into categories in different windows, but in the end it was causing a lot of issues.
When i went back to a single list, all went well, including it it has the same behaviour as 3.5 ruleset, where it allows adding custom skills, and editing them.

I will leave it like that at least for now, since i want to add filters to the skill list, for different settings.
That also is another topic, i believe i can bring back what genesys does not use, but star wars does, so the ruleset could be used for star wars also.

About that bug on rolling, thanks a lot! i will see if i can fix it...

It is also good you mentioned npcs, i will see what i can do, if it is possible to incorporate those features

sevrick
January 22nd, 2020, 11:29
Just looked it over. It's off to a really good start. It's just missing some things like weapons stats. Also there is this weird graphical glitch when I go full screen. There is a thick black line down the middle of the screen and a more to the bottom left. It seems have to do with the background since it doesn't cover up the chat or dice. I am sure there are more that I am not seeing but well done. I am super excited to see it running in Core. It's like a dream come true.

johniba
January 22nd, 2020, 14:46
Just looked it over. It's off to a really good start. It's just missing some things like weapons stats. Also there is this weird graphical glitch when I go full screen. There is a thick black line down the middle of the screen and a more to the bottom left. It seems have to do with the background since it doesn't cover up the chat or dice. I am sure there are more that I am not seeing but well done. I am super excited to see it running in Core. It's like a dream come true.

Hmm I dont have a graphical glitch here like you described, but it is possible that is due to resolution yes, i will do some tests
What resolution is your screen at?

Oh and items, yeah i need to work on items, npcs, etca... hopefullly in the next days i can have something going on

Thanks a lot for the input!

johniba
January 22nd, 2020, 16:08

Ah I think I fixed the graphics issue, as soon as I upload the next version I would thank you a lot if you could see if the issue is gone...
I will reply to the thread as soon as i have it

sevrick
January 22nd, 2020, 18:18
I have a 4k monitor. Not sure if that helps.

johniba
January 22nd, 2020, 20:32
I have a 4k monitor. Not sure if that helps.

Yes that helps a lot... actually I found out where i screwed up. Changing the background was one of the first things I did when prodding the ruleset and learning so i screwed it
I have now cleaned it up a bit, and I will reupload it.
If you want to test it, I would appreciate the feedback.

Oh and while I fixed it, I now added in Options 3 different decals for thebackground: Core genesys (the one that showed up before), android and terrinoth
To change it, go to Options in the little cog item in the top right, and there is going to be an option named: Desktop decal image

Download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UNyE7f7qbI5It8cCHmoEoWSoSeVhWxR-

sevrick
January 23rd, 2020, 00:03
Yup that did it. Also did some testing, It's not a big deal but when put the dice into the pool and click and drag to roll rather than clicking the check mark, the results come out as numbers. Thanks again.:)

johniba
January 23rd, 2020, 00:47
Yup that did it. Also did some testing, It's not a big deal but when put the dice into the pool and click and drag to roll rather than clicking the check mark, the results come out as numbers. Thanks again.:)

ah yes, someone already told me about that bug.
Since you can use them by double click, i will first finish other functionalities (items, npcs, weapons, traits etca) and then i will fix that... should not be too difficult

:)

BigBadWoulfe
January 23rd, 2020, 04:03
Hey!

Super stoked to see somebody working on importing Genesys to Fantasy Grounds, it's something I've been hoping would be done for a long while now and was thinking about teaching myself how to do it when I came across your post.

Have you seen this thread? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41329-Genesys-RPG-Using-the-Star-Wars-ruleset-to-play/

It looks like someone else took up the mantle a few years back and got it to a "working but not polished point" and you might be able to poach some from there.

sevrick
January 23rd, 2020, 11:33
Hey!

Super stoked to see somebody working on importing Genesys to Fantasy Grounds, it's something I've been hoping would be done for a long while now and was thinking about teaching myself how to do it when I came across your post.

Have you seen this thread? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41329-Genesys-RPG-Using-the-Star-Wars-ruleset-to-play/

It looks like someone else took up the mantle a few years back and got it to a "working but not polished point" and you might be able to poach some from there.

That has been the go to ruleset for some time, but the exciting thing about this one is it's working from CoreRPG. Which means a lot, especially now that Unity is in early access.

johniba
January 23rd, 2020, 12:32
Hey!

Oh, I did see the thread, but didnt notice someone saying they were working on it.
I will have a look

johniba
January 23rd, 2020, 12:39
That has been the go to ruleset for some time, but the exciting thing about this one is it's working from CoreRPG. Which means a lot, especially now that Unity is in early access.

Oh yes, one GREAT thing about using core rpg is that it has all the benefits.

For example, instead of having to manually code databases like details on npcs (type: minion/nemesis..., etca) we use core, which is basically configuring a list of settings you want to show up in the npc sheet.

With another config in the file, i can make that show up in the library so the gm and players have access to the databases

For example, that is what i am doing with talents, careers

It will be a huge help once i code things specific to the ruleset, like what type the npc is, what tier the talents are...

The worst i have already done i would say, now is a bit easier.

Right now i am finishing the character sheet... after that i will work on having an option so you can choose setting for the campaign, like terrinoth etca.... and that will change what skills you can see in the sheet for example

The way i am doing is also nice, i can configure that file i mentioned, and lets say, make it so this skill is for "terrinoth", or "terrinoth, android"...

So in the future, if another setting shows up (of if someone wants to create an extension for a personal setting they have) they dont need to code!

It is all very exciting..

Right now though, i am looking at those database files created in other rulesets like 3.5 to learn how to create one in genesys

Oh another thing is after the first version with basic features is ready, i can also have a look on creating an extension, so people use this ruleset, to play star wars

That way, we can say star wars is also benefiting from core_rpg

And about Unity: since it uses Core, it will not be difficult for me to test and update it so it runs in unity. i have already tested it quickly, it does not load, but it is an easy fix.
I just didnt bother yet, because i need to focus on finishing basic features :)

johniba
January 24th, 2020, 02:36
Small update to make it more playable, while i improve and fix a few things:

1) Character Sheet -> Notes tab: it is now showing a place to write Motivations. This is a free text at the moment, I might improve it later on.

2) Items and Talents database:
- Items: i have added quite a few fields to learn how to do it, so it is strange, it shows fields for DnD 3.5, but it is usable, even to drag to the character sheet
- Talents: still working on it, needs improvement.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UNyE7f7qbI5It8cCHmoEoWSoSeVhWxR-?usp=sharing

Main and Combat tabs need a lot of work:
Combat window I want to make is more useful, list stats on equiped weapons, and also skills related to combat...
And the main screen is very empty atm

johniba
January 24th, 2020, 06:42
I have just uploaded again. (same download link as in previous post)

The Ruleset is working in Fantasy Grounds Unity now!

There are two issues:

1) /diegen command is not working with abbreviations:
For example, if I try

/diegen 2dp

instead of the full name:

/diegen 2dProficiency

the die roller does not work

2) When displaying genesys die result, there is some strange text before displaying the dice

I will fix these later, my focus is finishing the ruleset, but it is nice to see it works in FU Unity!

sevrick
January 25th, 2020, 01:12
Nice Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Hurske
January 25th, 2020, 07:28
Awesome work, I run Genesys Shadow of the beanstalk, fallout, terrinoth and Naruto games. So I am definitely looking forward to this.

Valatar
January 26th, 2020, 03:39
I poked around in Unity, rolling the dice by clicking the check on the dice pool will roll them normally, but click and dragging the dice to the chat window and releasing will either result in nothing happening or Unity displaying what appears to be the roll total, if the dice were normal numbered dice. Attempting to create a new NPC listing also brings up a forest of warning messages, though it looks incomplete so you may just've not gotten to that section yet.

That bit aside, everything seems to be working fine, great job!

johniba
January 26th, 2020, 03:49
I poked around in Unity, rolling the dice by clicking the check on the dice pool will roll them normally, but click and dragging the dice to the chat window and releasing will either result in nothing happening or Unity displaying what appears to be the roll total, if the dice were normal numbered dice. Attempting to create a new NPC listing also brings up a forest of warning messages, though it looks incomplete so you may just've not gotten to that section yet.

That bit aside, everything seems to be working fine, great job!

Those issues with the dice and the npc window also happen in classic.
I need to redo npc and item windows completely.
I am currently working on finishing the character sheet, and later, i will finish those item and npc sheeta and look at the dice issue!

sevrick
January 26th, 2020, 21:22
I just found the talents tab. Although It is invisible when activated you can still click on it. I sqweeed with excitement when I saw it. I had completely forgot that this could be a thing now.

Edit: Also are the dice symbols implemented yet? I don't mean to be impatient, just looking forward to doing some Talent Data Entry.

Edit: Right now I am using the Author Extention to see If I can add the Genesys Core Rulebook to a module. Exciting Stuff.

johniba
January 27th, 2020, 00:57
I just found the talents tab. Although It is invisible when activated you can still click on it. I sqweeed with excitement when I saw it. I had completely forgot that this could be a thing now.

Edit: Also are the dice symbols implemented yet? I don't mean to be impatient, just looking forward to doing some Talent Data Entry.

Edit: Right now I am using the Author Extention to see If I can add the Genesys Core Rulebook to a module. Exciting Stuff.

Hi,

i am still changing dice symbols. It is a painful process, since the dice icons are so low resolution.
On the modules: YES, we will have separate databases for Talents, Abilities (for example racial abilities) and I also want to implement a database for item properties.

I will ask you to hold on for a few days though, as I may have to do small changes in the database structure, and at this point i dont know if this will affect data you might enter.... but it is my priority rigth now to i will have it done in the next days!

For the Talent database, we will have fields like:

Tier (1-5)
Activation
Ranked - y/n
Notes: field where the description will go to...
Summary (a small summary of the benefit, if it adds dice to situaition etca... i want this field to show in a column beside the name of the talent, in the character sheet

Setting: this will be a special text field were we will input what setting this talent applies to, separated by comma
For example:

Core, Terrinoth, Weird War

For selecting the setting, I am still on the fence. I dont know if I should make it an option in the options window (the GM would select the setting and this would apply to all charater sheets
OR.... if it would be something in the sheet itself, for example, a field near the character name. In this second case, it would allow for things like having one character for terrinoth, another for core... in the same game.
I dont see many people using this, but in the future, if we implement an extension for star wars to use the ruleset, it would make life easier for those playing star wars to select Edge of empire, Age of rebelion....

Right now i am also changing the Character sheet.
Talents will show up in the first tab, together with Abilities
I will then remove the current Abilities tab

In the Combat tab, I will have a similar list showing critical damage, conditions...

sevrick
January 27th, 2020, 01:35
No worries I can wait. About the selection of settings, When I play Star Wars I usually don't say "Ok guys this is going to be an Age or Rebellion game" I just have them make characters and that is that. Wheather it's Edge, Age, or Force I don't think it has too much of a baring on the Mechanics. Maybe rather than doing that all you would need is something that lets you add Obligation, Duty, Or Morality. Since those are the only real thing that defines what setting the characters careers is from.

My vote would be your 1st option. It's not like you would have a Realms of Terinoth Character and Android Character in the Same universe, so there would be no real need to do it on an individual character. Also you could give people some tips for adding their own settings to it.

johniba
January 27th, 2020, 01:52
No worries I can wait. About the selection of settings, When I play Star Wars I usually don't say "Ok guys this is going to be an Age or Rebellion game" I just have them make characters and that is that. Wheather it's Edge, Age, or Force I don't think it has too much of a baring on the Mechanics. Maybe rather than doing that all you would need is something that lets you add Obligation, Duty, Or Morality. Since those are the only real thing that defines what setting the characters careers is from.

My vote would be your 1st option. It's not like you would have a Realms of Terinoth Character and Android Character in the Same universe, so there would be no real need to do it on an individual character. Also you could give people some tips for adding their own settings to it.

Ah thanks for that input, it is invaluable!
Ok i will go with that option

The main thing is it will affect what skills will show up in the skills list, and maybe a few things like for example in terrinoth, the player will se a space to enter his heroic ability

If you are interested in this, you should look at the following file inside the .pak:

scripts/data_common_genesys.lua

This is where i am structuring info like settings, and skills

I think doing it right, i will be able to allow a player to easly create a very simple extension, where he could overwrite this, and add his own settings, with skills
And if he has any special windows with new info (like terrinoth has heroic ablities), he will have to customize the character sheet infortunatelly :(

But for settings, there is this section in that file:

skilldata = {
-- GENERAL SKILLS
["Alchemy"] = {
characteristic = "IN",
description = "" , category = "General"
},
["Astrocartography"] = {
characteristic = "IN",
},
["Athletics"] = {
characteristic = "BR",
},
["Computers"] = {
characteristic = "IN",
},

So that is where skills will go
As soon as I enable that option to choose setting, it will make use of the info above in the category column
In that column for example, we will have some skills listing:

General, Terrinoth, Android...

That way, the skills tab in the character sheet will be able to filter and show appropriate skills for the setting

When i am done with this first version, i want to document this stuff, and possibly make a guide so that people will be able to create their own settings like you said :)

sevrick
January 27th, 2020, 17:15
Somthing to keep in mind is might be a good idea when coding the npc Character sheets have a place for Power levels introduced in the Expaned Players Guide.

Edit: I know I am getting ahead of myself but it would be cool to have a vehicles tab for a database like there is for talents. Possible have vehicle tab in the character sheet that when a vehicle is dragged on to the sheet it copys the stats. I dont even know if that is possible. I know that's not a priority right now but just sprouting ideas.

johniba
January 27th, 2020, 19:07
Somthing to keep in mind is might be a good idea when coding the npc Character sheets have a place for Power levels introduced in the Expaned Players Guide.

Edit: I know I am getting ahead of myself but it would be cool to have a vehicles tab for a database like there is for talents. Possible have vehicle tab in the character sheet that when a vehicle is dragged on to the sheet it copys the stats. I dont even know if that is possible. I know that's not a priority right now but just sprouting ideas.

Hey sevrick, those are really good points!
I will make sure to add Power level to npcs
Also, as soon as i figure out the database and the sheets, i will work on a vehicle tab. What you describe is perfecly possible!

sevrick
January 27th, 2020, 20:32
I realy wish I could help. I do have some coding background. C# though. I know how to code the modules, but am not aware of how the Fantasy Grounds language works. Anyway thanks again for doing this.

Edit: What I can do is make modules for Talents, NPC, Items, etc...and not add a description but instead a source and page number. I will just start filling out the database when ever you think one of those section is done enough for data entry. Then post it up some where on the site.

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 00:06
I realy wish I could help. I do have some coding background. C# though. I know how to code the modules, but am not aware of how the Fantasy Grounds language works. Anyway thanks again for doing this.

Edit: What I can do is make modules for Talents, NPC, Items, etc...and not add a description but instead a source and page number. I will just start filling out the database when ever you think one of those section is done enough for data entry. Then post it up some where on the site.

Hey Sevrick, dont worry... oh yes modules will be a lot of help in the future.

I have a few more things i want to check with talents and other databases, and as soon as they feel ok, i will let you know

I can also give you access to the google drive folder so you can upload your modules later :)

Oh I have a new version available (check my next reply)

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 00:14
Update notes:

1 - Database changes:
- Character structure changed to be in line with what CoreRPG, 3.5 and others use:

Characteristics data are inside a node now
Example:

<charsheet>
<id-xxxxxx>
<characteristics>
<agility>
<score type="number">2</score>
</agility>
<brawn>
</brawn>
<cunning>
</cunning>
<intellect>
<score type="number">5</score>
</intellect>
<presence>
</presence>
<willpower>
</willpower>
</characteristics>

- Skills are also in a node: skilllist, and talents in talentlist
If you have been using the ruleset, your characters will not display the correct characteristics and skills
I hope not many people got affected, but I believe changing this now is for the best, for future improvements and compatibility
When I started developing, I used the same structure as in Star Wars ruleset, but now i am fully commited to using the same data structure
for custom data, using the same pattern Core uses.

2 - Genesys Dice
- Dice icons!
I have created genesys icons so when rolling dice, genesys characters will show up (no longer using star wars)
They dont look great though, I might rework them later....

- Fixed issue where dragging dice would not work:
Dragging genesys dice works from character sheet to diebox, and also from desktop (dice listed below the diebox) into the diebox
Dragging dice directly from character sheet to chat does not work for the moment, but since people will want to add Difficulty/Challenge dice to their pool before rolling, i dont think it is a big issue for now.

3 - Talents
- I have created the Talents database:
Click the big Library button (right side) and select Talents

Here are the fields:

Name: this is the talent name

(bellow name there is a big text box, this is where you would input the whole description for the talent

Tier: type 1 to 5 (in the future i will improve this, so we can only choose 1-5)

Summary: you can use this as a brief description of the talent effect, like what dice it adds and when. For now it is not used, I want to have this displayed in the character sheet in the future

Ranked: type yes or no (same as tier, i will improve later)

Activation: same as in the books, and i will also limit input later.

Setting: this is where you can describe what setting can use this. it is free form. Examples:

All
Norrath, Fantasy
Modern, Weird Wars, Android

It should be an indication for the player if he can choose this or not. I may in the future make the ruleset restrict what a player can select, but this is for a future improvement

4 - Character sheet
- Removed "main" tab. There was really no reason for it...
- Abilities tab: now you can input Talents here... you can also drag an existing talent (from the talent database) into the character sheet, it will list in the sheet, and link to the talents database :)

What I am working now:

1 - Character sheet
- Combat: I need to add Critical damage, conditions, equiped weapons...
In the future I also want to allow magical characters to create their own spells and list them here, or maybe a separate tab..

- Inventory: this requires me to finish the item database

2 - Item database
- yeah, working on this will also help inventory

3 - Selecting different settings for your campaign (norrath, android, etca)

Download link:

sevrick
January 28th, 2020, 00:36
Awesome work. I was just wondering if the Font for the Symbols has been implemented. If so do you know the command for them, such as [A] for advantage, etc.
I have an extension for the old Star Wars ruleset that changes them to Genesys fonts but I am not sure how to locate the exact file you would need.

Also I notice that when entering the Description just below the name you have use a carage return before typing description or it will overlay the name catagory.

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 01:04
Awesome work. I was just wondering if the Font for the Symbols has been implemented. If so do you know the command for them, such as [A] for advantage, etc.
I have an extension for the old Star Wars ruleset that changes them to Genesys fonts but I am not sure how to locate the exact file you would need.

Also I notice that when entering the Description just below the name you have use a carage return before typing description or it will overlay the name catagory.

I have seen a font with genesys symbols, but the ruleset is using icons.

If you open the .pak for this current version, go to:
graphics/fonts

You will find a font named: GenesysGlyphsAndDice.ttf

I have placed it there, but i am not currently using.

What is this extension you mention? I would like to have a look

And about description, what screen?

sevrick
January 28th, 2020, 01:20
It was given to me by the people from Finding the Narative podcast. He knows enough coding he created an extension for it. I will send an attachment.

For the Description. After locking the talent when finished with it the description is overlaping with the "Name". You can get around this by pressing enter 1st then entering the description.

Edit I forgot to mention it was made for the Star Wars Ruleset.

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 01:30
It was given to me by the people from Finding the Narative podcast. He knows enough coding he created an extension for it. I will send an attachment.

For the Description. After locking the talent when finished with it the description is overlaping with the "Name". You can get around this by pressing enter 1st then entering the description.

oohhhh yes...
I will fix that bug, it is simple really, i only need to make that title invisible or relocate it

Thanks for the extension, i will check it out, see if there is something we can use

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 01:38

I have just looked, they have done just like i did, and actually how it has been done since WFRP. Unfortunatelly there is no way to use fonts to show dice, as far as i know
BUT

OH Man their dice graphics are so much better than mine... would you have their contact?
I want to see if they would be ok for me to use their graphics in the ruleset :)

sevrick
January 28th, 2020, 01:51
[email protected]

They also have some setting extensions to go along with it as well not sure if it would be of any use.

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 02:09
[email protected]

They also have some setting extensions to go along with it as well not sure if it would be of any use.

Thanks, i emailed them

Hey Sevrick this got me thinking that maybe I should do Terrinoth / Android as extensions.... what do you think?
Initially they will only restrict what skills you have access to, but later i could create specific Desktop themes for them.

So instead of working on a code to have it in options, you choose the extension for the setting you want....

sevrick
January 28th, 2020, 02:42
If you did it that way would it be just as easy for others to add their own setting? It is how the others did it but I don't know if it is better that way or they did it simply because of the limitations of it not being from CoreRPG.

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 03:18
If you did it that way would it be just as easy for others to add their own setting? It is how the others did it but I don't know if it is better that way or they did it simply because of the limitations of it not being from CoreRPG.

I think there are a lot of ways to do this, the one where I said I could add options and you choose the setting was inspired by the way Star Wars does it, but others usually just use an extension to overwrite stuff, usually graphics, or small stuff like tables.

If I go with my first idea, with the options, it might be more difficult for other people to create their extensions/settings (yeah the more i think, the less i like this approach)

I have just created two extensions: Terrinoth and Android. I have uploaded it to the same google drive. You can test it.

So here is how it works.

For now, the only difference loading one of those extensions, is that the skill list will change. It will be only the skills for the setting mentioned.
What the extension does is:

- Overwrites the skill list
- Changes the destktop decal to use the graphics for the setting in the extension

I think this approach would be the easiest for other people to create their own configurations, and turn them into settings.
In the future, i might add more stuff... for example, for Terrinoth I could add another tab in the character sheet, to list Heroic Ability.

ALSO: it is possible to populate the race/archetype, and career lists, but I will only do this after i am done with those databases
If done properly here is my idea:

Imagine that the race table would have info like starting characteristic, xp and other stuff:
We could make it so when the person drags that race into his sheet, that data is populated :)

But i am ahead of myself, i will first make this 100% functional, we can do this later :)

If you test those extensions you might notice something strange if you for example, create a character using an extension... close FG... and choose lets say another extension for a different setting.
And when you open the character sheet, you will see some skills are editable now.

That is ok! It means you had lets say, created a character with a skill in a setting that does not exist in the other. It does not get deleted, but it allows the person to edit/delete :)
This only happens in this situation though

sevrick
January 28th, 2020, 04:30
Sounds good. I have already started on talent data entry, but I am still not sure what keyboard shortcuts or code to enter to get the Genesys Font symbols to show up. For now I will just put some abrveation such as [SU] for success, etc...Then go back and fill them in when it is setup.

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 12:06
Sounds good. I have already started on talent data entry, but I am still not sure what keyboard shortcuts or code to enter to get the Genesys Font symbols to show up. For now I will just put some abrveation such as [SU] for success, etc...Then go back and fill them in when it is setup.

Oh I see what you mean. Let me find out how to do that, those symbols are not linked yet to the ruleset, i will see how it is done

Predatorian3
January 29th, 2020, 04:31
I'm using FG v3.3.9 and the Genesys.pak as of 2020-01-28 06:23am, I tried to roll a /die 1d100, the dice show up properly, however the total doesn't show up, and only shows a 0 0. Using /die 2d10 could work using the left number as the 10's and the right number as the 1's. Not a big deal I believe.

sevrick
January 29th, 2020, 12:33
I did notice somethings when entering talents. It would be more aesthetically pleasing and faster if the order you entered the information is the order they use in the books. Just in case you were going to tweak things a bit.

Of course all of these things I mention to you is for when you get around to it.:)

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 12:40
I'm using FG v3.3.9 and the Genesys.pak as of 2020-01-28 06:23am, I tried to roll a /die 1d100, the dice show up properly, however the total doesn't show up, and only shows a 0 0. Using /die 2d10 could work using the left number as the 10's and the right number as the 1's. Not a big deal I believe.

Hi,

I will check that. it could be because i removed those dice from the ruleset. I will bring them back if that is the issue affecting the row

Trenloe
January 29th, 2020, 12:49
I will check that. it could be because i removed those dice from the ruleset. I will bring them back if that is the issue affecting the row
With the Star Wars: EotE ruleset there was a discussion about removing all dice (except the d10 as that seemed to be the only once needed). However, I decided to leave the dice in (but move them off to the side of the desktop) as there is sometimes the need for all the other dice in a RPG - to roll randomly on tables the GM may have created, to roll a d8 to get a random cardinal direction, to randomly target 1 fo 4 people, etc.. I felt it was best to leave them in so that GMs and players can use them if they like, rather than completely remove them.

jasonpotter
January 29th, 2020, 14:10
Much obliged tons for attempting to get a CoreRPG form ready for action, that ought to ideally be more future-confirmation than the more seasoned non-center rendition. I'll rest somewhat better for the fate of my Star Wars battle once there's a center ruleset working in Unity.

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 21:29

Hi,
i managed to fix the result when rolling /d100, but the dice symbol still does not show the result unfortunatelly. I will try to fix this later
Check my next msg with details and download

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 21:30
I did notice somethings when entering talents. It would be more aesthetically pleasing and faster if the order you entered the information is the order they use in the books. Just in case you were going to tweak things a bit.

Of course all of these things I mention to you is for when you get around to it.:)

I have just reordered the fields, you can download the update on the same link :)
Oh... and i added dice symbols, there is a .png in the same download link with their list and code!

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 21:32
With the Star Wars: EotE ruleset there was a discussion about removing all dice (except the d10 as that seemed to be the only once needed). However, I decided to leave the dice in (but move them off to the side of the desktop) as there is sometimes the need for all the other dice in a RPG - to roll randomly on tables the GM may have created, to roll a d8 to get a random cardinal direction, to randomly target 1 fo 4 people, etc.. I felt it was best to leave them in so that GMs and players can use them if they like, rather than completely remove them.

Ah ha! It is always good to hear from your experience, thanks.
I just added them back...

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 21:35
Much obliged tons for attempting to get a CoreRPG form ready for action, that ought to ideally be more future-confirmation than the more seasoned non-center rendition. I'll rest somewhat better for the fate of my Star Wars battle once there's a center ruleset working in Unity.

Thanks for your words Jason
Rest assured that this ruleset will indeed help with the Star Wars one.
I am pretty sure I can make it run after i am done with 1.0 on Genesys
I believe I can create a new version of SW ruleset using Genesys with the importruleset feature, so there will be one code to take care instead of two, when we need to update in the future.

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 21:37
I have just uploaded an updated version

RELEASE NOTES:

- Issue with /d100 not showing correct result:
I have fixed the result, it will display correct now, but I still did not fix the value showing inside the dice. I will do this later.

- Added Special icons to default fonts
You can use ALT+number to insert special symbols into the text (for example, describing that a talent will roll extra Boon dice... etca)
(Dice are number 241-246, and results are 250-255)
Known issue: The font symbols have some strange particle issues when running the ruleset in FG Unity
I will upload an image showing the list of symbols and their codes, in the same address you download this ruleset.

- Added back default dice to desktop
Some players might still want to roll default dice in their house rules or for any other reason, so they are back

- Talents
Reorganized the talents window, so fields are listed in the same order you will see them in Genesys books.

- Graphics:
Updated dice icons, dicepool background and icons, with better ones (thanks Chris Holmes, from the Finding the Narrative podcast for these!)

Download:

sevrick
January 29th, 2020, 23:42
I was wondering if it is all right to upload the Talents with their descriptions or not. I know that someone before me uploaded the star wars librarys but had page numbers instead of the description.

Also I am not understanding how the font works. I held down the alt key while typing the number and nothing changed.

damned
January 30th, 2020, 00:46
You cannot upload the descriptions.

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 01:31
I was wondering if it is all right to upload the Talents with their descriptions or not. I know that someone before me uploaded the star wars librarys but had page numbers instead of the description.

Also I am not understanding how the font works. I held down the alt key while typing the number and nothing changed.

You hold left alt and type the numbers, but you need to type them in your numpad. Then you release alt
If you do not have a numpad (notebook for example), you can use a windows app named "Character Map"

Maybe then you can input all those characters somewhere, like in notepad, and then copy and paste as you need.

I might implement a better way later.

About descriptions: yeah you cannot type descriptions, that would be a problem related to copyright.
That does not mean that each individual player later cannot update their own campaign, but that is up to them to enter more info they need, in their campaign
We cannot distribute that level of info, as it would be like sharing information from the books....

sevrick
January 30th, 2020, 01:47
You hold left alt and type the numbers, but you need to type them in your numpad. Then you release alt
If you do not have a numpad (notebook for example), you can use a windows app named "Character Map"

Maybe then you can input all those characters somewhere, like in notepad, and then copy and paste as you need.

I might implement a better way later.

About descriptions: yeah you cannot type descriptions, that would be a problem related to copyright.
That does not mean that each individual player later cannot update their own campaign, but that is up to them to enter more info they need, in their campaign
We cannot distribute that level of info, as it would be like sharing information from the books....

Thats weird because I did that and these characters showed up"=±)=·vn²"\

Edit: oops didn't see that you added fonts to the link. I was thinking they would be in the ruleset themselves. I do know that there is a way to package the Fonts and Refrence them within the Ruleset, Since the Ruleset I upload for you had a fonts folder.

sevrick
January 30th, 2020, 02:08
Well here is the Genesys Core Rulebook Module. All it has so far is the talents without the descriptions. You can add it to your download link to put all the downloads in one place.:)

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 04:06
Thats weird because I did that and these characters showed up"=±)=·vn²"\

Edit: oops didn't see that you added fonts to the link. I was thinking they would be in the ruleset themselves. I do know that there is a way to package the Fonts and Refrence them within the Ruleset, Since the Ruleset I upload for you had a fonts folder.

The fonts are in the ruleset yes. I have tested them in the talents fields: description, summary.... and in the character sheet: notes
BUT, i dont have a numpad, i used that app i told you. It might be that i am wrong, i need to test on a full keyboard, and i will let u know

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 04:09
Well here is the Genesys Core Rulebook Module. All it has so far is the talents without the descriptions. You can add it to your download link to put all the downloads in one place.:)

Great job!
I have uploaded it!

So I am already working on some things... in the next days i think i will finish the character sheet combat window, where it displays critical damage, and conditions...
I will also remake the critical damage icon in the desktop

sevrick
January 30th, 2020, 13:20
The fonts are in the ruleset yes. I have tested them in the talents fields: description, summary.... and in the character sheet: notes
BUT, i dont have a numpad, i used that app i told you. It might be that i am wrong, i need to test on a full keyboard, and i will let u know

Just for clarification, If it is working as intend I shouldn't have to install any fonts to make it work?

Batei
January 30th, 2020, 13:57
How do I give this thread and johniba a thousand "thumbs up"? :)

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 13:59
How do I give this thread and johniba a thousand "thumbs up"? :)

LOL, you just did... thank you

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 13:59
Just for clarification, If it is working as intend I shouldn't have to install any fonts to make it work?

yes working as intended... working might be an exageration
if it doesnt work dont worry right now, i will review this later ok?

Batei
January 30th, 2020, 14:08
Like I mentioned to you in Discord, I hope to be able to help after March on this project. I finally had an opportunity to read through this last night and noticed you brought up lua. I did a lot of work on the previous rule set in Dreamweaver, but steered clear of any of the lua components as they scared me off. Is the unity engine and core mostly lua? The tables I built pretty much just used the html type coding.

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 20:43
Like I mentioned to you in Discord, I hope to be able to help after March on this project. I finally had an opportunity to read through this last night and noticed you brought up lua. I did a lot of work on the previous rule set in Dreamweaver, but steered clear of any of the lua components as they scared me off. Is the unity engine and core mostly lua? The tables I built pretty much just used the html type coding.

Yes, all the data processing is done in lua.
It is a very simple language really.

The thing is, most of these scripts are not hard coded with fields, so for example, if a lua script is looking at a particular window or list, it will look for tags, and check their names an identify those as a database node, or a field

Talley Darkstar
January 31st, 2020, 06:50
At least for myself, two of the banners on the desktop are not visible, Careers and Talents, but, I can click on the spaces and open them up. If I go into Library, the banners aren't showing there either, though the names are. I saw a brief mention about it when the Talent database was being worked on, but nothing about it since, so I figured I'd mention it.

Batei
January 31st, 2020, 13:13
Just seeing the PNG is getting me stoked to start playing again. :)

johniba
January 31st, 2020, 14:41
At least for myself, two of the banners on the desktop are not visible, Careers and Talents, but, I can click on the spaces and open them up. If I go into Library, the banners aren't showing there either, though the names are. I saw a brief mention about it when the Talent database was being worked on, but nothing about it since, so I figured I'd mention it.

Hi Talley,

Yes I need to create icons for those. I will do it as soon as possible, the buttons work even tough they are "invisible" in the library, for the moment
I will fix the library in the next version i upload

Talley Darkstar
January 31st, 2020, 19:57
Cool. I wasn't sure if it was just me. Keep up the good work! Looks amazing so far! So excited to see this!

sevrick
February 1st, 2020, 17:48
Here is the Realms of Terrinoth Library for Talents :).

Edit: Were you able to see what was wrong with the font symbols? Just thought I would check because I am not sure if there is something I need to do to fix it.

Edit: Also I did notice that when you bold something the text seems to get smaller for some reason.

johniba
February 1st, 2020, 20:00
Here is the Realms of Terrinoth Library for Talents :).

Edit: Were you able to see what was wrong with the font symbols? Just thought I would check because I am not sure if there is something I need to do to fix it.

Edit: Also I did notice that when you bold something the text seems to get smaller for some reason.

Thanks Sevrick!
I have uploaded it!

sevrick
February 1st, 2020, 21:56
Here is the Genesys Extended Players Guide. Sorry I would have just uploaded them together if I knew this one was going to be done so fast.

Talley Darkstar
February 1st, 2020, 23:57
:cry: That is so beautiful! :cry::cry:

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 00:02
hey just a quick update:
i havent uploaded a new version in a few days, but it is mainly because I am at a point where several parts of the code are tied up together.
Right now, I managed to prepare the code that will accept critical rolls into character sheet, and also almost the whole charsheet

After that, I want to finish the Archetype/Race window (include starting characteristics, etca), and that will leave me with working on item/npc
I have found a way to speed up the process, without adding old code into the ruleset so that is great news, since i can reuse a lot of code from star wars without adding old stuff that would overlap corerpg

I will try to upload a new version tomorrow

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 00:04
Here is the Genesys Extended Players Guide. Sorry I would have just uploaded them together if I knew this one was going to be done so fast.

No need to apoligize man! Great work!!!
I have uploaded it to google drive!

sevrick
February 2nd, 2020, 01:44
I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the font symbols to show. I even installed the fonts in the download link to see if that would work. Not sure why it's not working. Were you able to figure out anything on that front? If it would require too much work right now don't worry about it.
Also I should have Shadow of the Beanstalk uploaded soon.

punisher5150
February 2nd, 2020, 03:11
I still haven't been able to figure out how to get the font symbols to show. I even installed the fonts in the download link to see if that would work. Not sure why it's not working. Were you able to figure out anything on that front? If it would require too much work right now don't worry about it.

Here's an old post but I think it applies specifically to FG Classic. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45274-Trying-to-understand-fonts-in-FG

And another post, more related to either version I belive: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52623-Custom-Characters-in-OTF-TTF-fonts

sevrick
February 2nd, 2020, 04:41
Here's an old post but I think it applies specifically to FG Classic. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45274-Trying-to-understand-fonts-in-FG

And another post, more related to either version I belive: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52623-Custom-Characters-in-OTF-TTF-fonts

Hmm most of those posts go over my head. I think the ruleset would need to be edited I think to fix it.

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 04:48

I have temporarily removed that font with the symbols. The TTF font I created has issues, and I need either someone with expertise to create it, or time to learn and do it later

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 04:56

In order for the special symbols to be used, you need to create them in the font used in the object, in this case, the text boxes in the ruleset.

Fantasy Grounds Classic (the normal one) uses FGF, a custom font format. The newer versions of FG (still classic) are smart enough to convert as you run the ruleset, on the fly (if you use a ttf and you do not provide a FGF) also...
Fantasy Grounds Unity on the other hand only uses TTF.

The issue is that the TTF font I created is not 100% compatible so FGUnity displays them with some invalid particles coming out of them. FG classic though works ok

For the time, i will focus on finishing the ruleset, and later i can tackle the font matter again :)

Also I want to see if i can make inserting those symbols in text a little more friendly

I imagine something like this:

- Imagine you are typing a text like:

"Add [dBoost] to your combat rolls"

And when you finish editing, the ruleset will replace that [dBoost] with the actual symbol, so you dont need to use exotic commands in your keyboard

We will see... :)

I downloaded the application that generates it from a TTF, I then got a copy of another font that included Genesys symbols, and managed to insert them in

sevrick
February 2nd, 2020, 05:31
I am currently creating a Reference Manual for the Genesys Core Rulebook. No worries about the fonts I can wait. The only thing, it would be nice is to have a list of what code would be entered when it is implemented, so that all the code would be changed retro actively.
For Example [dBoost].

It's just a thought but if it won't work that's good too. I am probubly too excited for my own good. Thanks again for your hard work :).

punisher5150
February 2nd, 2020, 06:29
In order for the special symbols to be used, you need to create them in the font used in the object, in this case, the text boxes in the ruleset.

Also I want to see if i can make inserting those symbols in text a little more friendly

The Star Wars ruleset allowed this in the Story tab, however you would have to close the story tab and reopen it to actually see the dice.

For example [D] was used for Difficulty die, [A] for Ability, [S] for Setback, [B] for Boost, [C] for Challenge, [P] for Proficiency, [F] for Force
And for results: (S) was Success, (F) was Failure, (!) was Triumph, (D) was Despair, (A) was Advantage, and (T) was Threat

For example, You would type "Make a HARD ([D][D][D]) STEALTH check." Once you closed the tab and reopened it, then the [D] would become the Dark Diamond symbol of the difficulty die. I believe the original posts for this are somewhere in the original Star Wars ruleset Threads at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24151-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Age-of-Rebellion-Force-and-Destiny-v2-ruleset&highlight=star+wars+ruleset but with 78 pages it might take a bit to find it.

viresanimi
February 2nd, 2020, 07:28
I never knew that!

Through trial and error I found the codes for the symbols and made a list, from which I could copy from or just remind myself what the code was.

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 11:08
[QUOTE=johniba;474460]In order for the special symbols to be used, you need to create them in the font used in the object, in this case, the text boxes in the ruleset.

The Star Wars ruleset allowed this in the Story tab, however you would have to close the story tab and reopen it to actually see the dice.

For example [D] was used for Difficulty die, [A] for Ability, [S] for Setback, [B] for Boost, [C] for Challenge, [P] for Proficiency, [F] for Force
And for results: (S) was Success, (F) was Failure, (!) was Triumph, (D) was Despair, (A) was Advantage, and (T) was Threat

For example, You would type "Make a HARD ([D][D][D]) STEALTH check." Once you closed the tab and reopened it, then the [D] would become the Dark Diamond symbol of the difficulty die. I believe the original posts for this are somewhere in the original Star Wars ruleset Threads at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24151-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Age-of-Rebellion-Force-and-Destiny-v2-ruleset&highlight=star+wars+ruleset but with 78 pages it might take a bit to find it.

Punisher, that is AWSOME news!
It means I can copy the logic from that code, and replicate into the ruleset, and possibly into other fields aswell... like descriptions of talents etca

I will have to put this in the end of the to-do list, but i cant wait to do it

Thank you

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 11:22
I have just uploaded a new version!

RELEASE NOTES: Feb-02-2020

1 - Character sheet
Most of it is done:
- You can now input Abilities, Talents, Critical injuries, Conditions: for now, right click the list to add a new item manually. I will later add the new UI from CoreRPG (icons to add, delete etca)
- Talents can be dragged from the Library into the character sheet, and auto populate. I will do the same later for Abilities (which will cover racial abilities) and this is a preliminary for critical rolls and automatically adding critical results into the character.

- Inventory: you can either create an item in the inventory or drag from the item database.
Inventory uses CORERPG features: Clicking the Carried/Equiped will equip, unequip weapons and armor (weapons will show up in the combat tab), and you can also put items inside items:
(for example: Lets say I create an item, lets name it "Bag"; then I create another item, a Sword; now on column "Location" for the sword, I can type Bag, and the sword will be organized inside the bag

P.S.: clicking the dice icon to roll for a weapon in the combat tab is not working yet

- 2 Item database
- The item window is almost 100%: it is missing the "skill" field for weapons, and there will also be more features later, like bringing back attachments
- For now I would advise not to start creating an item database, until i can finish it at least
- When you start creating a new item, notice there is a special field named "Type". It is free form, but if you enter "Weapon" or "Armor" it will display more fields accordingly. for example for armor it will show Damage, Critical, Range...

- Subtype is also a free entry: we can use it to classify items for example "Melee, ranged..." or any classifications people want. That will be used to sort them in the Items main window, where you can click the Weapon or Armor buttons and have a complete list of items in the database

There is a lot to do, but i made a lot of progress also, i will keep you all updated

If you would like to test this version, it can be downloaded in the same link as before:

punisher5150
February 2nd, 2020, 14:13
[QUOTE=punisher5150;474465]

Punisher, that is AWSOME news!
It means I can copy the logic from that code, and replicate into the ruleset, and possibly into other fields aswell... like descriptions of talents etca

I will have to put this in the end of the to-do list, but i cant wait to do it

Thank you

OK I dug up an old Guide I created and found the exact Dice symbols and Result Symbols, PLUS the equivalent code for editing in the XML file of a FG module. Also, these codes work in most of the tabs for Star Wars Ruleset (ie: story, NPC, Items, etc etc).

DICE
Difficulty = [D], &#245
Ability = [A], &#246
Force = [F], &#247
Setback = [S], &#241
Boost = [B], &#242
Challenge = [C], &#243
Proficiency = [P], &#244

RESULTS & SYMBOLS
Force (Light) = (+), &#248
Force (Dark) = (-), &#249
Despair = (D), &#250
Advantage = (A), &#251
Threat = (T), &#252
Failure = (F), &#253
Triumph = (!), &#254
Success = (S), &#255

Attached is an IMAGE file I use when making Star Wars FG modules. Ignore the ALT and CNTRL, CNTRL SHFT codes. Those are quick keys I setup for editing in word docs. The FG codes above are on this image.

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 15:41
[QUOTE=johniba;474477]

OK I dug up an old Guide I created and found the exact Dice symbols and Result Symbols, PLUS the equivalent code for editing in the XML file of a FG module. Also, these codes work in most of the tabs for Star Wars Ruleset (ie: story, NPC, Items, etc etc).

DICE
Difficulty = [D], õ
Ability = [A], ö
Force = [F], ÷
Setback = [S], ñ
Boost = [B], ò
Challenge = [C], ó
Proficiency = [P], ô

RESULTS & SYMBOLS
Force (Light) = (+), ø
Force (Dark) = (-), ù
Despair = (D), ú
Advantage = (A), û
Threat = (T), ü
Failure = (F), ý
Triumph = (!), þ
Success = (S), ÿ

Attached is an IMAGE file I use when making Star Wars FG modules. Ignore the ALT and CNTRL, CNTRL SHFT codes. Those are quick keys I setup for editing in word docs. The FG codes above are on this image.

Thank you for your research Punisher, this is the kind of stuff that helps me a lot

sevrick
February 2nd, 2020, 15:47
Exciting news. I will hold off on adding adding items to the database untill finished. I was wondering though does core allow for those font symbols to be colored? It's more on the aesthetic true, but the idea is interesting.

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 16:05
Exciting news. I will hold off on adding adding items to the database untill finished. I was wondering though does core allow for those font symbols to be colored? It's more on the aesthetic true, but the idea is interesting.

From what i saw so far, it doesnt seem like it supports that. You can choose a font type and color for an object (text box, button, etca) but not per character in the text. It could be something hackable and i will certainly try, but i dont want to give false hope :P

sevrick
February 2nd, 2020, 16:10
Awesome! I am super excited. All I really need now is NPCs as bare minimum and I can start playing. BTW don't worry about if you have to change something to talents and they have to be redone for some reason I can do it again.:)

johniba
February 2nd, 2020, 17:59
Awesome! I am super excited. All I really need now is NPCs as bare minimum and I can start playing. BTW don't worry about if you have to change something to talents and they have to be redone for some reason I can do it again.:)

Actually, i am almost done with dragging damage, strain, critical into the characters.... after that i will create the npc sheet :)

About talents, ok, but i will try not to give you extra work if possible hehe

punisher5150
February 2nd, 2020, 20:01
[QUOTE=punisher5150;474495]

Thank you for your research Punisher, this is the kind of stuff that helps me a lot

Happy to help. The coding is a little over my head, but I'll continue to monitor this Thread. I've been using the Star Wars EoTE Ruleset since close to the beginning so I may be able to dig up stuff from the old forums if needed. I'm exciterd for a CoreRPG based Genesys and the inevitable Star Wars extension or Star Wars CoreRPG ruleset (whichever is deemed the best way to go!)

sevrick
February 2nd, 2020, 20:08
Here is Shadow of the Beanstalk module. I guess that's all until the Key Forge setting comes out.
Also it goes without saying as soon as other elements become available such as items, Adversaries, etc I will be updating the modules.
I am glad I could be apart of this is some way.:)

johniba
February 3rd, 2020, 08:48
Here is Shadow of the Beanstalk module. I guess that's all until the Key Forge setting comes out.
Also it goes without saying as soon as other elements become available such as items, Adversaries, etc I will be updating the modules.
I am glad I could be apart of this is some way.:)

Wow, you are fast hehe... thanks a lot man

alfarobl
February 3rd, 2020, 18:06
Thank you! Looks really good. Wish you could add the Force Die to allow Star Wars gameplay (maybe an option?).
Both .ext for Terrinoth and Android are not needed anymore (from gdrive) as Decal images are now inside the ruleset?

Also found this error when I add a new NPC:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/string_attackline.lua"]:46: attempt to call field 'parseAttackLine' (a nil value)

johniba
February 3rd, 2020, 20:21
Thank you! Looks really good. Wish you could add the Force Die to allow Star Wars gameplay (maybe an option?).
Both .ext for Terrinoth and Android are not needed anymore (from gdrive) as Decal images are now inside the ruleset?

Also found this error when I add a new NPC:

After i am done with the code, i will create a ruleset for star wars. It should not be difficult because the ruleset will import genesys, and add what is missing. Dont worry.
For now, i would advise using the EoTE ruleset for playing star wars

Oh about the decals.. yes i kept them in the main ruleset, so people can choose to use a decal even though they are playing core.
When you use the extension for say, terrinoth, what it does is:
- change the decal to terrinoth
- make a special list of skills, in the character sheet, for terrinoth

So i kept the decals for now, but i might change later :)

About the npc error: yeah sorry that window is not ready yet, should be soon!!!

alfarobl
February 3rd, 2020, 20:34
After i am done with the code, i will create a ruleset for star wars. It should not be difficult because the ruleset will import genesys, and add what is missing. Dont worry.
For now, i would advise using the EoTE ruleset for playing star wars
I want to get ready to move to FGU and there your ruleset will work. If you added an option like decals with Star Wars and force dice I don't need all dice with star wars logos, you can play Genesys Star Wars and like tokens are still Light and Dark Force the Force die would help as an option. I could always activate a d12 and do conversion but if you enabled that option It would make the wait a little less painful :)

Oh about the decals.. yes i kept them in the main ruleset, so people can choose to use a decal even though they are playing core.
When you use the extension for say, terrinoth, what it does is:
- change the decal to terrinoth
- make a special list of skills, in the character sheet, for terrinoth

So i kept the decals for now, but i might change later :)

Ok... I did not see the list of skills that is a must then... Sorry but then it is not working as intended. When you use .ext you should remove the Decal code as then it doesn't work after you select any option you cannot recover original setting decal. Just the list of skills as the Core Genesys ruleset already has correct Decals to choose from.

alfarobl
February 3rd, 2020, 20:48
Oh... no need really found that you can right click on d12 and select optional dice dForce and it will roll the Force Dice to generate Destiny Pool! You did an amazing job! Thank you again! :)

johniba
February 3rd, 2020, 21:26
Oh... no need really found that you can right click on d12 and select optional dice dForce and it will roll the Force Dice to generate Destiny Pool! You did an amazing job! Thank you again! :)

Ah yes i kept that code! i thought right in the beginning of developing this that it could help later to update star wars

johniba
February 5th, 2020, 02:44
New version!

RELEASE NOTES

1 - Added critical rolls
Use the desktop token, drag it into chat and a crit roll will be executed (but will not be applied to anyone)
Drag it into a character, and the crit result will add a critical injury to the character.

Wounds and Strain
Added tokens to drag wound and strain to characters.
It has exactly the same functionality from SW ruleset:
- Right click for menu: choose the shield icon to toggle if soak will be subtracted from the damage input or not

Weapon items
When creating a new weapon in the Item database, notice the following:

- In the Type field, type "Weapon" so you will be presented with extra fields related to weapons

- Skill field: you have to type EXACTLY the skill name
Examples:
a) Melee
b) Melee (Heavy)
c) Ranged
... etca

I will later make this easier, but for now, make sure the skill description is exact

- Damage field:
There is a small difference from SW rulesets:
Typing a simple number will tell the ruleset later when rolling the dice, that damage is "flat" (for example ranged weapons do flat damage)
If you type a "+" sign before the number, it will tell the ruleset that damage should be the value PLUS the character's Brawn characteristic
For now, in the damage result when rolling, the ruleset will only calculate damage+extra damage from the roll, and will remind you to add + Brawn
Later I will make this automatic.

You can Drag weapons into a character inventory, and then click the "Equiped" icon to make sure it lists the weapon as Equiped
This way, the weapon will show in the Combat tab, in the character sheet.
If you go there, you can roll combat dice

You can also create Items directly in the player inventory.
The only difference is that it will not go into the database, it will be for the character only

TODO:
- Automatically update Defense and Soak in the character sheet if you have equiped armor
- Make NPC sheets workable.

The current ruleset does not have the npc database working properly yet

Download link:

sevrick
February 5th, 2020, 04:21
It's such a great time to be a Fantasy Grounds and Genesys fan. I have been adding the Geneyes Core book as a reference to FG. Sadly I can't up load it since that would be a major copyright infringement, but if you have the PDF it should be easy enough to do it yourself, to anybody interested in doing that.

Trenloe
February 5th, 2020, 08:10
From what i saw so far, it doesnt seem like it supports that. You can choose a font type and color for an object (text box, button, etca) but not per character in the text. It could be something hackable and i will certainly try, but i dont want to give false hope :P
It’s not hackable - as the symbols are basically letters in a font. As you say, displaying a string within a control can only have one colour for the whole string.

Keep up the great work!

sevrick
February 5th, 2020, 11:59
When dragging the die from a weapon on the combat tab I get an error that says a bunch of times:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/weapondicepool.lua"]:28 attempt to index local 'weaponnode' (a nil value)

Also something that might be good to add, since you are going add items adding soak and defense to the character, is a temporary soak and Defense or a misc soak and defense bonus. For like barrier spells and such. Maybe it's something that goes in the effects section instead though.

Lastly is the items good to go as far as me adding items to the modules?

johniba
February 5th, 2020, 12:45
When dragging the die from a weapon on the combat tab I get an error that says a bunch of times:

Script Error: [string "common/scripts/weapondicepool.lua"]:28 attempt to index local 'weaponnode' (a nil value)

Also something that might be good to add, since you are going add items adding soak and defense to the character, is a temporary soak and Defense or a misc soak and defense bonus. For like barrier spells and such. Maybe it's something that goes in the effects section instead though.

oh yes forgot drag... double clicking is working though

Let me double check items, and i will see if i can give the green light.

johniba
February 5th, 2020, 13:45

I have just fixed the combat drag issue... you can download again.

About items:

Yes it is ready to go, just remember a few things:

Item fields:
- Type: this is an important field. value "Weapon", and "Armor" will display fields related to that.
if type is anything else, only common fields are displayed.
I think that could be used for creating "fluff" items, for example torch, food, etca... items that dont have mechanical rules, but are used roleplaying
Or for example, items from Terrinoth like "Alchemist's kit", backpack, bedroll, etca...

- Subtype: as far as i know, it is only important for now for armor and weapons.
If you for example give a weapon a subtype, lets say, "Melee", "Ranged", "Melee Heavy".... when in the items window, if you click the Weapons button, a window with a weapons list is shown, and the items will be separated by their subcategory
Give it a try, and see how that and the group thingie works!

Items window: Groups

You can edit and create groups... the group you have selected before you create an item, will be that item's group
I still dont know what classification should be used, maybe you can think of a good one.

- Text field above "Setting"
This is the description field. For weapons, this field is also displayed in the combat tab in the character, under the item itself
I think for now for weapon for example, it could display special powers, maybe quality properties for now?
In the future, i would like to expand this

For other items, lets say potions, it could be used to describe how it works mechanically:
"This potion gives the drinker extra strenght for two turns..." for example
But remember, do not type that into the .mod file you will share, leave as "look at page xxx"
It is fine if you do in the file you will use personally.

sevrick
February 5th, 2020, 14:01
Awesome I will get to work right away. So I was wondering about the whole misc armor thing I mentioned in my last post. Would that be an effect?

johniba
February 5th, 2020, 14:42
Awesome I will get to work right away. So I was wondering about the whole misc armor thing I mentioned in my last post. Would that be an effect?

Abou those temporary effects, I think i will later add as conditions
You may notice that in the combat and main tab, where talents, criticals are displayed, i recently removed that conditions.
It was something from warhammer, i am not 100% sure it is used in sw, and i will check, but one think i believe it could be used, is for those temporary conditions

So in the future, we could create those...
Imagine a spell gives a particular temporary effect like you said, maybe it add 2 soak for 2 rounds.
We could add to everyone a condition for that, and the effect would be added for 2 rounds.
Maybe even the combat tracker, when a round is changed, will automatically decrement those rounds from the condition

I think this is something we can improve in a new version of the ruleset, after i am done with the basics

But it is a great use for conditions!

I am also thinking of creating a spells tab...
So we know spells are dinamic, but the books say players are free to create their own spells
Maybe a player wants to create a personalized spell, or just record in his sheet one combination he is particular to cast frequently...
he could record it in his "spellbook"
Maybe each spell entry would list the dice involved, description, skill check, and under effect, we could enter conditions...
Those conditions, when the spell is successfuly cast, could be distributed to players or npcs :)

But i will leave that for later, we can brainstorm this after we are done with 1.0 :)

So for now, i would say players will have to track their soak and armor, and temporary increments on those, before they receive damage.
No big deal, since on tabletop you will usually need to know these things anyway hehe
BUT the future is bright for our ruleset!

sevrick
February 5th, 2020, 18:06
That's sound great. I like the spells tab idea.

sevrick
February 6th, 2020, 01:05
I noticed that there is no rarity category. Is the note category where the description goes or is that the blank space above the setting. Just a suggestion but you could label the place where the weapons qualities go as "Special" and the text Description as "Description".

Also I am not sure but is there away to hide text from the player until the weapon or item is identified? I know that you can conceal the name of the item, but not sure about a description.

Also the items say Weight and not encumbrance.:p

Also if you wanted to put that little extra finish on it you could order the categories in order that they appear on the tables, like you did with the talents.

I hope I am not being too big of a nuisance. OCD kicking in :)

Thanks again for all your hard work

johniba
February 6th, 2020, 13:51
I noticed that there is no rarity category. Is the note category where the description goes or is that the blank space above the setting. Just a suggestion but you could label the place where the weapons qualities go as "Special" and the text Description as "Description".

Also I am not sure but is there away to hide text from the player until the weapon or item is identified? I know that you can conceal the name of the item, but not sure about a description.

Also the items say Weight and not encumbrance.:p

Also if you wanted to put that little extra finish on it you could order the categories in order that they appear on the tables, like you did with the talents.

I hope I am not being too big of a nuisance. OCD kicking in :)

Thanks again for all your hard work

Oh no, it is missing rarity.. I swear i added it but when testing and editing i must have missed in the final version

I will update it later today with rarity

I will change the description to encumbrance and reorder the fields

sevrick
February 6th, 2020, 14:26
Oh no, it is missing rarity.. I swear i added it but when testing and editing i must have missed in the final version

I will update it later today with rarity

I will change the description to encumbrance and reorder the fields

It's ok I will hold off on the libraries untill it's fixed.

Also I was wondering about my question in my last post about Notes and hiding text.

johniba
February 6th, 2020, 18:26
Is the note category where the description goes or is that the blank space above the setting. Just a suggestion but you could label the place where the weapons qualities go as "Special" and the text Description as "Description".

Non-id name and notes are shown to the player if the item is not identified.
I will clarify that renaming that label

The big field with no label, above setting, is the one with the full description
I will see if i can add a label there

I also need to make sure that an item cannot be listed in combat, if it is not identified, or at least

sevrick
February 8th, 2020, 16:56
Just thought I would check in and see how things are going. It's been awhile since I heard anything. I have weekends off I was just looking forward to adding all the items in. No pressure I am just realy excited. Lol I refresh this forum like 30 times a day to see any news. :)

Talley Darkstar
February 8th, 2020, 19:16
First map if you don't already have it. Original Post: https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1214246392857841665; Map link: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ae/74/ae74df82-5bfe-48d3-951d-bde37a369c17/terrinoth_location_names.pdf

Batei
February 9th, 2020, 00:01
That's beautiful!

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 03:40
Just thought I would check in and see how things are going. It's been awhile since I heard anything. I have weekends off I was just looking forward to adding all the items in. No pressure I am just realy excited. Lol I refresh this forum like 30 times a day to see any news. :)

I am working hard to make the npc sheet working.
I tried two things... one creating it from scratch to make it look like the ones you see in DND 3.5 and 5... but to be fair, i didnt like the results.
It is mainly because my skills i would believe, are not up to par atm

But then, i started working on the one SW ruleset has... and it clicked!

So, i will upload tonight a version where it works, so people can test and give feedback
It is not the final version yet, but it works

I will fix the items window, and upload this...

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 04:02
Woot. Let the party begin :)

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 04:32
RELEASE NOTES - Feb 9 - 2020

1 - Character inventory
- unidentified weapon if equiped will be ignored, and will not show up in the combat tab

2 - NPC Sheet
- tabs show redundant information:
I still need work to do, speciall remove some redundancy: some things show up multiple times across tabs and i will still make this look better and more functional
For the time being, i decided to release anyway, so people can test the ruleset

- improve skill list
I want to improve the list, maybe for minions only show skills when they are selected, since minions have access to a limited range of skills
For now, when creating a minion, make sure to mark the "minion skill" checkbox in the skill, and also notice that the skill total will be calculated automatically at this time (minions have skills at their number -1, so a group of 3 minions when they have a skill, the skill value will be 2, for example

3 - Items
- Added Rarity, Special fields
- Reordered fields so they show up in the order they are presented in books
- You can set an item as "unidentified"
Notice that there are two fields: "non-id name", and "non-id notes"
These fields are what the players will see for name and description of the item, if unidentified
Unidentified items cannot be used in combat
- Please notice that the big text box right before "Setting" is the main item description

Work in progress:

My next focus is making Initiative rolls automatically update character and npc positions in the combat track

Download link:

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 04:35

hey Sevrick!

Please download the latest version and let me know what you think.

Please read my notes in the previous post.

I think the item database is ok to be used now

I believe now the ruleset has all basic features to be properly used!
I will try to run some tests, and also please let me know what you find!

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 04:45
Will do. Item data entry will take a little longer than the Talents did since there are more of them and more fields. But none the less I am excited to get started.:)

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 04:46

By the way, sorry to keep you waiting.
Yes i am also so so hyped for this... i would say too much

What happened is: most of my free time i was working on this, and when i came back from vacation, my mind was so caught up on this that i could not sleep
I would be thinking on this constantly even when almost sleeping, so i took a few days off, even when i really wanted to code the ruleset hehe

But now, i want to polish it a bit.
I will get initiative to work tomorrow, make the npc sheet look better and less redundant, and overall, make the ruleset 1.0 i hope

After that, we can discuss what to do next. I really want to change the looks, make it look better.

Also improve a few things, and work on a vehicle feature. I am still not sure i like the way star wars ruleset did, making vehicle a tab in the charseet, so i will take some time, and look at it

I will of course wait on your feedback!

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 04:47
Will do. Item data entry will take a little longer than the Talents did since there are more of them and more fields. But none the less I am excited to get started.:)

hahahaha glad to see you excited man...

punisher5150
February 9th, 2020, 05:16
Also improve a few things, and work on a vehicle feature. I am still not sure i like the way star wars ruleset did, making vehicle a tab in the charseet, so i will take some time, and look at it

I will of course wait on your feedback!

Double check the Star Wars ruleset. There are two places for vehicles: the vehicle tab and the character sheet. The character sheet vehicle tab is for a specific PC owned vehicle quick reference. The Main vehicle tab has more info and is more detailed.

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 06:08
Double check the Star Wars ruleset. There are two places for vehicles: the vehicle tab and the character sheet. The character sheet vehicle tab is for a specific PC owned vehicle quick reference. The Main vehicle tab has more info and is more detailed.

I think you mean the party sheet, right?
I will check them.

I was thinking if instead of a fixed tab for vehicles, it should be treated like a pet/npc, where you could have it under inventory. That way people could actually have multiple vehicles/mounts.

I think this part may need more feedback

Altough I am trying not to change too much, in hopes that i can make an upgrade script to allow people to import their existing database later in an updated sw ruleset, some things i had to change....

Trenloe
February 9th, 2020, 06:21
I was thinking if instead of a fixed tab for vehicles, it should be treated like a pet/npc, where you could have it under inventory. That way people could actually have multiple vehicles/mounts.
In the Star Wars ruleset, the vehicle tab in the PC/NPC sheet is a way of displaying/tracking data both in the PC/NPC sheet and the CT, and controlling the vehicle (making linked rolls, etc) for the currently used vehicle. Drag/drop a vehicle to the PC/NPC sheet to populate the data, overwriting what was already there. Maybe this could be expanded upon to populate the data if a vehicle in the inventory is equipped, keeping the previous data (damage, etc.) in the record in the inventory for vehicles that are unequipped.

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 07:08
In the Star Wars ruleset, the vehicle tab in the PC/NPC sheet is a way of displaying/tracking data both in the PC/NPC sheet and the CT, and controlling the vehicle (making linked rolls, etc) for the currently used vehicle. Drag/drop a vehicle to the PC/NPC sheet to populate the data, overwriting what was already there. Maybe this could be expanded upon to populate the data if a vehicle in the inventory is equipped, keeping the previous data (damage, etc.) in the record in the inventory for vehicles that are unequipped.

That is a really nice idea.

I will fix the initiative roll first, and the npc sheet, after that i will do some tests with vehicle using your suggestions... thanks a lot

punisher5150
February 9th, 2020, 17:40
I think you mean the party sheet, right?
I will check them.

I think this part may need more feedback

Altough I am trying not to change too much, in hopes that i can make an upgrade script to allow people to import their existing database later in an updated sw ruleset, some things i had to change....

Not exactly. I've attached three images to show all of the places where vehicle information can be loaded into a Star Wars ruleset adventure.

punisher5150
February 9th, 2020, 17:45
As for feedback I do like the idea of being able to have more than one vehicle in the inventory. Perhaps each vehicle in the PC inventory will link to its own vehicle tab in the party sheet? And keep the vehicle sheet its own entity to store all of the types of vehicles in the ruleset for database management.

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 17:46
Not exactly. I've attached three images to show all of the places where vehicle information can be loaded into a Star Wars ruleset adventure.

While taking things from the old star wars ruleset is a good place to start, but the star wars ruleset was lacking in certain areas. Since it is now part of CoreRPG we have the opportunity to suppress the feeble limitations of the old version.

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 18:10
While taking things from the old star wars ruleset is a good place to start, but the star wars ruleset was lacking in certain areas. Since it is now part of CoreRPG we have the opportunity to suppress the feeble limitations of the old version.

Oh yes for sure. I am not keeping inside constraints of the sw or wfrp3 rulesets, actually corerpg implementations always take precedence

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 18:29
So I have been testing the ruleset and I decided split up feedback for testing into 2 parts issues and polish. Issues being more important than polished features. Polish is ideas that have come to me that might make it better but aren't a priority.

Issues

Weapons can't be dragged to NPC Inventory.
Weapons in the NPCs combat tab can't be dragged to dice pool.
Display Encumbrance Threshold on character sheets.
The Armor button in the items window is displaying AC and Wt instead of Armor, Defense, and Encumbrance

Polish

Weapon qualities not showing up in PC combat tab. You might show weapon qualities 1st then a description.
After clicking the Weapons button in the items window. You could mirror the tables in the official books. As well as change Wt to Enc.
More search filters for the items, such as searching by Skill and Setting.
A Gear button for the Items window.
I know it was possible in pathfinder and dnd to click on certain keywords, such as conditions, and then it would bring up another window displaying what the effect does. You could add this feature to Weapon qualities.
When armor is worn, its encumbrance rating is supposed to be reduced by three, to a minimum of zero.

Item Database looks beautiful BTW.:)

Trenloe
February 9th, 2020, 18:41
Since it is now part of CoreRPG we have the opportunity to suppress the feeble limitations of the old version.
That's a little bit extreme don't you think?!? ;) There are limitations, of course, but... feeble!!! :-O

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 18:51
That's a little bit extreme don't you think?!? ;) There are limitations, of course, but... feeble!!! :-O

Rofl no disrespect meant on your work:). True it got the job done well enough, I just spent years looking at all the things the old ruleset couldn't do. To be honest I didn't expect something like this to ever happen. So I resigned my self to working with what I had. Hence my excitement to see this brought to fruition.

Trenloe
February 9th, 2020, 19:48
To be honest I didn't expect something like this to ever happen.
Neither did I when I asked the community to take on updating the old ruleset for FGU. @johniba has definitely gone above and beyond here! :D

viresanimi
February 9th, 2020, 20:12
Neither did I when I asked the community to take on updating the old ruleset for FGU. @johniba has definitely gone above and beyond here!

Ain't that the thruth! I've tried looking into code, but my mind isn't wired for it, so I have all the respect in the world for someone, that says: "I'm gonna do this" and does it. I am pretty excited about this ruleset.

I just hope that once it is done, that there will a be a Star Wars extension for it. And since it is CoreRPG based, I sort of assume that this will work with the Author extension (which is amazing by the way). I can't wait for that!

Keep up the good work!

Vires Animi

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 20:16
Ain't that the thruth! I've tried looking into code, but my mind isn't wired for it, so I have all the respect in the world for someone, that says: "I'm gonna do this" and does it. I am pretty excited about this ruleset.

I just hope that once it is done, that there will a be a Star Wars extension for it. And since it is CoreRPG based, I sort of assume that this will work with the Author extension (which is amazing by the way). I can't wait for that!

Keep up the good work!

Vires Animi

I agree. Also the Author extension works. I am nearly half way through the Core Rulebook.

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 22:07

omg, the star wars ruleset and the warhammer frp rulesets are anything but feeble!
When you start to see how much the code handles and so many incredible things, it is an awsome achievement!

I only hope one day we can improve upon that... but oh no, never associate it with feeble!

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 22:12
So I have been testing the ruleset and I decided split up feedback for testing into 2 parts issues and polish. Issues being more important than polished features. Polish is ideas that have come to me that might make it better but aren't a priority.

Issues

Weapons can't be dragged to NPC Inventory.
Weapons in the NPCs combat tab can't be dragged to dice pool.
Display Encumbrance Threshold on character sheets.
The Armor button in the items window is displaying AC and Wt instead of Armor, Defense, and Encumbrance

Polish

Weapon qualities not showing up in PC combat tab. You might show weapon qualities 1st then a description.
After clicking the Weapons button in the items window. You could mirror the tables in the official books. As well as change Wt to Enc.
More search filters for the items, such as searching by Skill and Setting.
A Gear button for the Items window.
I know it was possible in pathfinder and dnd to click on certain keywords, such as conditions, and then it would bring up another window displaying what the effect does. You could add this feature to Weapon qualities.
When armor is worn, its encumbrance rating is supposed to be reduced by three, to a minimum of zero.

Item Database looks beautiful BTW.:)

Most of these are easy to fix, i will work on them.
By gear button, what do you suggest the filter should catch up to show?
The armor and weapon buttons open up a window showing those items from that category... should gear show all the rest, or are you typing "Gear", in the item type field?

About the feature similar to pathfinder... yes! I saw that and i really want to do something like that.. maybe after i fix these issues, polish npc sheet and finish initiative and combat track

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 22:14
Rofl no disrespect meant on your work:). True it got the job done well enough, I just spent years looking at all the things the old ruleset couldn't do. To be honest I didn't expect something like this to ever happen. So I resigned my self to working with what I had. Hence my excitement to see this brought to fruition.

i think i know what you mean, but if you could look the sw and warhammer rulesets from the point of view that i have been doing, from inside the code, you would start to feel amazed.
I think the only weakness in them is that they have this legacy with working with old features, but oh man it is actually incredible.
I still love warhammer frp3 and one day maybe i can update it, but it would a lot more difficult...

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 22:16
Neither did I when I asked the community to take on updating the old ruleset for FGU. @johniba has definitely gone above and beyond here! :D

Unfortunatelly there is a weak link... i am learning as i go and i am sure some decisions i am taking are not optimal.
Maybe after this is done and with more experience under me, i will revisit the code and make it better.

I still stumble over things like getting node and window information, or passing info around...

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 22:21

Keep up the good work!

Vires Animi

Hi Vires

I think that right after a few days when i started looking at the code and working with it, i already saw that it would be very possible to create an update for star wars
Star wars ruleset afterall is pretty much a few more things on top, and in some critical code, like dice rolling, i made sure not to remove things related to star wars, so that the code could coexist with both.

After I am finished, i will work on an update for the star wars ruleset...

My only big concern is regarding with data compatibility.
Whenever possible, i tried to stick to structures found in the star wars database, but some fields/nodes will be different.
I know that it is possible to make code that will identify a previous version of a database being executed and update it when first opened in the new ruleset, but i will have to do tests with it.

Last thing i want is to make a ruleset that would invalidate work from other people...

This is just the beginning though, and i am so excited for the future... i love to work on stuff like this, and i have to say i havent felt excited writing code like this for a very long time.. Not since i was a young man!

But the really good thing about all of this is how it all works

When this Genesys ruleset is loaded, it actually loads CoreRPG first...
It then replaces a few things... and add the new stuff. This is the biggest difference from the previous rulesets, so if CoreRPG updates some things, it is easy for us to look at our code, and make it work with new stuff.
It also means that several modules written down fo CoreRPG will work with no to little change in code...

So when the time comes for me to work on a new SW ruleset, it will work just like that.
SW will actually start by loading Genesys (which in turn also loads core)... and only adding the different and new stuff from SW :)

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 22:32
And since it is CoreRPG based, I sort of assume that this will work with the Author extension (which is amazing by the way). I can't wait for that!

Vires Animi

I have just loaded that extension you mentioned... it looks incredible!
Since i am not familiar with it, i could not test it, but i can say so far, it should be 100% compatible since i am not changing CoreRPG features for stories, etca.

Let me know, if you test it and find anything wrong, ok?

punisher5150
February 9th, 2020, 22:57

Agree that we don't have to use the SW ruleset exactly as the old version. I just wanted to make sure johniba was aware that the vehicles were contained in multiple places, not just on the PC sheet.

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 23:02
Most of these are easy to fix, i will work on them.
By gear button, what do you suggest the filter should catch up to show?
The armor and weapon buttons open up a window showing those items from that category... should gear show all the rest, or are you typing "Gear", in the item type field?

About the feature similar to pathfinder... yes! I saw that and i really want to do something like that.. maybe after i fix these issues, polish npc sheet and finish initiative and combat track

By gear button I mean how weapons and armor have a button you can press to see the items in a table format as well as organized by sub categories. I would suggest do that with gear as well. I can then use sub categories such as Cybernetics, Magic Implements, Potions and Elixirs, etc. In the type category, I did put "Gear" when entering the gear items in the libraries. Also having these subcategories for gear would allow for people who may have different ideas for subcategories tailor it for their specific needs.

johniba
February 9th, 2020, 23:13
By gear button I mean how weapons and armor have a button you can press to see the items in a table format as well as organized by sub categories. I would suggest do that with gear as well. I can then use sub categories such as Cybernetics, Magic Implements, Potions and Elixirs, etc. In the type category, I did put "Gear" when entering the gear items in the libraries. Also having these subcategories for gear would allow for people who may have different ideas for subcategories tailor it for their specific needs.

OK lets go with Gear then
So far we have Weapon, Armor, Gear

It will be easy to make a window to show gear, you can continue to create items, and use subtype... the window should sort subtypes later

sevrick
February 9th, 2020, 23:50
Ok here is the Genesys Core Rulebook with Items added. A few things of note.
1st: I applied errata changes into this version.
2nd: Items with a 0 encumbrance I made their encumbrance 0.1. This makes it so 10 zero encumbrance items add up to be 1 encumbrance per RAW. Although I think this is an optional rule.
3rd: I was missing the Adversary Talent it's here now.
4th: The only items I purposefully left out was the example items in chapter 5. There descriptions were just there justification as to why they added certain stats. I can add them if anyone thinks I should.

I could have made some errors so let me know if anything is amiss.

johniba
February 10th, 2020, 00:33
Ok here is the Genesys Core Rulebook with Items added. A few things of note.
1st: I applied errata changes into this version.
2nd: Items with a 0 encumbrance I made their encumbrance 0.1. This makes it so 10 zero encumbrance items add up to be 1 encumbrance per RAW. Although I think this is an optional rule.
3rd: I was missing the Adversary Talent it's here now.
4th: The only items I purposefully left out was the example items in chapter 5. There descriptions were just there justification as to why they added certain stats. I can add them if anyone thinks I should.

I could have made some errors so let me know if anything is amiss.

Nice!

Hey I noticed a small issue with an item

Assault Cannon

Name is "Assult Cannon", and its properties are actually in the price field

Not sure if this is a corruption on my side

sevrick
February 10th, 2020, 00:46
Nice!

Hey I noticed a small issue with an item

Assault Cannon

Name is "Assult Cannon", and its properties are actually in the price field

Not sure if this is a corruption on my side

Yup your right. here is the updated file. Thx:)

sevrick
February 10th, 2020, 16:43
Realms of Terrinoth items have been added.
I haven't added attachments are added as a type. As far as Rune Shards I will wait until official word on how they will be done.
As always let me know if anything seems off. Enjoy:)

sevrick
February 10th, 2020, 21:13
Genesys Expanded Players Guide with Items add.:)

johniba
February 10th, 2020, 22:02
Genesys Expanded Players Guide with Items add.:)

These look really nice
I have uploaded them to google drive

Tomorrow i will work on those items you showed me.
I will still take a bite longer to work on the combat tracker / initiative, altough rolling init is working now

After that, i will think of how to add attachments etca to items

sevrick
February 10th, 2020, 22:23
Were you able to finish off the NPCs? I mean by finish off, able to start the libraries :).

Also I noticed that there wasn't a place to put Hard Points. I figured you would just add it when you are ready to do that part. But I was thinking would that add a space to the existing entries or would you have to create a new entry for it to show up?

Also Strategic range is missing. I didn't notice until Adding the Guided Missile Launcher from shadow of the beanstalk.

johniba
February 11th, 2020, 00:27
Were you able to finish off the NPCs? I mean by finish off, able to start the libraries :).

Also I noticed that there wasn't a place to put Hard Points. I figured you would just add it when you are ready to do that part. But I was thinking would that add a space to the existing entries or would you have to create a new entry for it to show up?

Also Strategic range is missing. I didn't notice until Adding the Guided Missile Launcher from shadow of the beanstalk.

NPC, Ah not yet, another thing i will work on tomorrow.
I will check those other things also

I never added strategic range, i never used vehicles so i didnt pay attention to that chapter.
I will have to read more, in order to update combat with them... so
I am not sure wheter i shoud just allow that range to be selected when creating weapons, or restrict them somewhere
I will probably just add
Hard points, not ready

So, it seems i should actually finished those before working on init and combat track, i will work on them for the next days

GrizzledNoob
February 12th, 2020, 05:54
I just wanted to thank you guys for the time and effort being put into this. I love the Genesys system and am looking forward to playing the game online. Keep up the great work. Thank you.

Hurske
February 12th, 2020, 06:24
Same, I think the only thing I am waiting for is a functioning combat tracker similar to the original version. But the interface here is so much more easy for me as a GM

alfarobl
February 12th, 2020, 11:31
Just FYI with the new update I can no longer open the Genesys campaign inside FGU. With the one before it was working fine. It returns back to the initial screen.

[2/12/2020 12:29:12 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[2/12/2020 12:29:12 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error loading ruleset XML file. [Genesys] [campaign/record_char_main.xml]: Unexpected XML declaration. The XML declaration must be the first node in the document, and no white space characters are allowed to appear before it. Line 1, position 4.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene exiting.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (ActionsManager) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (customdie) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (customdie) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (CharManager) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (MinionManager) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[2/12/2020 12:29:26 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[2/12/2020 12:29:27 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Game server connection was lost. Please return to launcher, and start game again.

johniba
February 12th, 2020, 12:05
Just FYI with the new update I can no longer open the Genesys campaign inside FGU. With the one before it was working fine. It returns back to the initial screen.

Hi Alfarobl,

I have fixed that issue, it is running in FGU again, can you please reupload? If you have any issues lemme know

johniba
February 12th, 2020, 12:09
I just wanted to thank you guys for the time and effort being put into this. I love the Genesys system and am looking forward to playing the game online. Keep up the great work. Thank you.

Same, I think the only thing I am waiting for is a functioning combat tracker similar to the original version. But the interface here is so much more easy for me as a GM

Thanks a lot!

I will be releasing soon the first part of the combat tracker working hopefuly, and the other fixes reported with item and npcs soon... in the next couple of days

This version of the tracker should track npcs and pcs.

After that i will work on vehicles, which i will have to run some tests. I am trying to come up with a better way to represent vehicles in the comba track

alfarobl
February 12th, 2020, 12:17
Issue is gone now! Thank you. Loading into FGU perfectly. ;)

johniba
February 12th, 2020, 14:08
Issue is gone now! Thank you. Loading into FGU perfectly. ;)

If you see any issues in FGU, let me know ok?
It is a secondary priority at the moment, but if it is an easy fix i prefer to keep it working in FGU also

I will see if this week i can finish the other tasks, cant wait to have a fully functional ruleset

viresanimi
February 12th, 2020, 14:53
Found an issue with rolling weapon dice.

If I double click from the combat tab and then use the die icon on the dicebox, it rolls correctly. However, if I drag the dice instead pressing the button, it does not calculate damage on a successful roll.

johniba
February 12th, 2020, 15:01
Found an issue with rolling weapon dice.

If I double click from the combat tab and then use the die icon on the dicebox, it rolls correctly. However, if I drag the dice instead pressing the button, it does not calculate damage on a successful roll.

Thanks, i will have a look on that

johniba
February 12th, 2020, 18:25
Thanks, i will have a look on that

So, when you drag dice directly from the character sheet into chat, it will roll the dice, but it will not include difficulty dice and other negative ones.
I dont really think atm of a good way to do that, so I wonder if it is too bad to have only support for dicebox for the moment.

So people would have to:
- drag their dice into the dicebox (or double click)
- add difficulty/setback/challenge dice
- roll it clicking from the dicebox

What do you think?

sevrick
February 12th, 2020, 20:04
So today I was just thinking all the crazy stuff we could do with the crafting rules for star wars for some crazy automation. For example droid crafting from special modifications. I know it's long way off, but just thinking of the possibilities makes me excited. Who knows in time this could replace Ogg Dudes Character Generator. I am not sure but I think fantasy grounds has a way of printing out character sheets. BTW Ogg Dudes character generator is good place to go for some inspiration.

johniba
February 12th, 2020, 21:30
So today I was just thinking all the crazy stuff we could do with the crafting rules for star wars for some crazy automation. For example droid crafting from special modifications. I know it's long way off, but just thinking of the possibilities makes me excited. Who knows in time this could replace Ogg Dudes Character Generator. I am not sure but I think fantasy grounds has a way of printing out character sheets. BTW Ogg Dudes character generator is good place to go for some inspiration.

I didnt know about this character generator you are talking about, something i should definitelly check out later

You are correct, there are is a lot of room for improvement :)

So just an update... today I fixed a few issues:

[FIXED] Weapons can't be dragged to NPC Inventory.
[FIXED]Weapons in the NPCs combat tab can't be dragged to dice pool.
[FIXED] - Add strategic range
[FIXED] - rolling dice does not display actor name

This last one, by actor i mean the character or npc... The nice thing is that now i receive this information... who rolled
It is nice for the future, because i will also be able to provide a full damage calculation in the end of an attack roll, instead of saying " x damage +Brawl"

I will still fix the rest of the isues, and add those missing things to items, before i release it.

After that, i will work on the combat track, leaving vehicles last.

I am thinking of adding vehicles as a special kind of npc...
I mean it will act as an npc for the purpose of receiving damage, and listing on the combat track...
It will also have an inventory, controlled by the owner.

But, in the combat track pcs will be able to inform if they are inside the vehicle

Vehicles will be listed in the inventory as if it was a special item, and the owner will be able to "wear" one vehicle

I will need to finish everyting else before this, so we have room to playtest the idea, if it does not work, we think of some other way

i also want to add Pets/controllable npcs
They will also be listed under the character sheet, and it will be just like a simplified npc.
Still, i have to brainstorm the idea, and it will be for last

sevrick
February 13th, 2020, 00:48
I was wondering if there was a way to make an item reduce encumbrance. I was thinking If there was a "+" in front of it it would reduce encumbrance rather than add to your encumbrance. That way when your all ready to do that Encumbrance threshold on the PC sheets it would calculate appropriately. For now I have been just setting those items to 0 encumbrance.

johniba
February 13th, 2020, 04:07
I was wondering if there was a way to make an item reduce encumbrance. I was thinking If there was a "+" in front of it it would reduce encumbrance rather than add to your encumbrance. That way when your all ready to do that Encumbrance threshold on the PC sheets it would calculate appropriately. For now I have been just setting those items to 0 encumbrance.

For now i am trying to be as close to the vanilla rules as possible.
I dont think there is such a thing in the books, is there?

Any reason in particular to have that?

I have already fixed the rule where equiped armor should be -3 encumbrance

sevrick
February 13th, 2020, 10:00
Actualy in the books it says just that in the tables for things like backpacks. It puts a + in front of every item that is similar. I noticed this particularly while entering the gear section of the shadow of the beanstalk source book. You can see a representation of this on page 101. It is however somthing that can be done later if you wish as far as priority.

sevrick
February 13th, 2020, 12:12
Here is Shadow of the Beanstalk. I didn't add ICE in this one as it seems like the extension would need a little more attention before adding it. For that same reason I left out Hard Points.

johniba
February 13th, 2020, 12:19
Actualy in the books it says just that in the tables for things like backpacks. It puts a + in front of every item that is similar. I noticed this particularly while entering the gear section of the shadow of the beanstalk source book. You can see a representation of this on page 101. It is however somthing that can be done later if you wish as far as priority.

Thanks, i will check out later

viresanimi
February 13th, 2020, 15:06
So, when you drag dice directly from the character sheet into chat, it will roll the dice, but it will not include difficulty dice and other negative ones.
I dont really think atm of a good way to do that, so I wonder if it is too bad to have only support for dicebox for the moment.

So people would have to:
- drag their dice into the dicebox (or double click)
- add difficulty/setback/challenge dice
- roll it clicking from the dicebox

What do you think?

The issue I noted was that I couldn't roll the dice. I could. But when I dragged the dice instead of clicking the "roll dice pool" button, the damage wasn't calculated. I really prefer dragging and dropping dice from the dicepool, because that button is so teeny tiny on my screen.

I would, however suggest, that the "roll dice pool"-button could be dragged to the shortcut bar. That would be very neat!

I love the idea of controllable npc's!

sevrick
February 13th, 2020, 17:53
So I am not sure if many of you out there know how to do this so, I figured I would make a guide. Since we can't upload any description due to copy right laws that doesn't stop me from teaching people who have the books and want to add Critical Hit Descriptions to their own game.

Step 1: Create a folder call it what ever you like Critical Hit Descriptions for example.
Step 2: Create a folder called "scripts" inside the folder you just made in the step 1.
Step 3: Open the Genesys Ruleset with an archive program such as winrar, 7zip, etc. Now open the scripts folder in the archive and extract the file "data_common_genesys.lua" to the scripts folder you made in step 2.
Step 4: In the root folder you made in Step 1, right click and select new and Text Document and open it.
Step 5: Copy the following into text document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.0" release="4">
<announcement text="This is where you would type anything you want to show at the start when loading FG" font="emotefont" icon="rulesetlogo_GenesysRPG" />

<properties>
<name>The name of your extension goes here</name>
<version>3</version>
<author>This is where you put who made it</author>
<description>This is where you enter a short description of the extention</description>

<ruleset>
<name>Genesys</name>
</ruleset>
</properties>

<base>
<script name="DataCommon" file="scripts/data_common_genesys.lua" />
</base>
</root>

Step 6: Replace the text in areas as appropriate. Once done save and exit.
Step 7: Rename the text document "extension.xml". Make sure to replace the .txt with .xml. Then say yes to except the change.
Step 8: Navigate to your scripts folder and right click "data_common_genesys.lua" and open with note notepad.
Step 9: Scroll down until you find "critical_injury_result_data". You will recognize the names of the different critical hits. You will also see...

description = "<p>See page 115 Genesys Core Rulebook.</p>",

each critical hit will have one of these change the text in between the <p> </p> to the appropriate description.

Step 10: When you have entered all the descriptions for each critical save and exit. Now select all the files, the scripts folder and the extension.xm. Right click and Send to Compressed Zip folder. Name it whatever you want.
Step 11: Change the .zip at the end to .ext
Step 12: Now open Fantasy Grounds click the folder icon on the top right for it to open your Fantasy Grounds directory. Open the extensions folder and move the compressed file, you made in step 10, into the folder.

Now when you run your campaign just select the extension before loading.

johniba
February 13th, 2020, 21:24
The issue I noted was that I couldn't roll the dice. I could. But when I dragged the dice instead of clicking the "roll dice pool" button, the damage wasn't calculated. I really prefer dragging and dropping dice from the dicepool, because that button is so teeny tiny on my screen.

I would, however suggest, that the "roll dice pool"-button could be dragged to the shortcut bar. That would be very neat!

Hey I like that idea. Let me see what i can do.
Meanwhile, I think I should also increase the size in that button

johniba
February 13th, 2020, 21:27
So I am not sure if many of you out there know how to do this so, I figured I would make a guide. Since we can't upload any description due to copy right laws that doesn't stop me from teaching people who have the books and want to add Critical Hit Descriptions to their own game.

Step 1: Create a folder call it what ever you like Critical Hit Descriptions for example.
Step 2: Create a folder called "scripts" inside the folder you just made in the step 1.
Step 3: Open the Genesys Ruleset with an archive program such as winrar, 7zip, etc. Now open the scripts folder in the archive and extract the file "data_common_genesys.lua" to the scripts folder you made in step 2.
Step 4: In the root folder you made in Step 1, right click and select new and Text Document and open it.
Step 5: Copy the following into text document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.0" release="4">
<announcement text="This is where you would type anything you want to show at the start when loading FG" font="emotefont" icon="rulesetlogo_GenesysRPG" />

<properties>
<name>The name of your extension goes here</name>
<version>3</version>
<author>This is where you put who made it</author>
<description>This is where you enter a short description of the extention</description>

<ruleset>
<name>Genesys</name>
</ruleset>
</properties>

<base>
<script name="DataCommon" file="scripts/data_common_genesys.lua" />
</base>
</root>

Step 6: Replace the text in areas as appropriate. Once done save and exit.
Step 7: Rename the text document "extension.xml". Make sure to replace the .txt with .xml. Then say yes to except the change.
Step 8: Navigate to your scripts folder and right click "data_common_genesys.lua" and open with note notepad.
Step 9: Scroll down until you find "critical_injury_result_data". You will recognize the names of the different critical hits. You will also see...

description = "<p>See page 115 Genesys Core Rulebook.</p>",

each critical hit will have one of these change the text in between the <p> </p> to the appropriate description.

Step 10: When you have entered all the descriptions for each critical save and exit. Now select all the files, the scripts folder and the extension.xm. Right click and Send to Compressed Zip folder. Name it whatever you want.
Step 11: Change the .zip at the end to .ext
Step 12: Now open Fantasy Grounds click the folder icon on the top right for it to open your Fantasy Grounds directory. Open the extensions folder and move the compressed file, you made in step 10, into the folder.

Now when you run your campaign just select the extension before loading.

Actually I can make that a bit better...
If people modify that, every time they update their ruleset they will have to re-edit.
I will create a separate extension, so someone could edit their critical extension to add descriptions, and not worry about an update overwriting it

I will do it later today

Then they can follow your instructions but instead of modifying the ruleset, they need to do it only once in their extension

johniba
February 13th, 2020, 21:37

Ok I checked here and... it is VERY easy for me to do that but there is an issue.

Currently the database field containing encumbrance is a number.
We have a choice: either we would have to use -x for normal encumbrance and +x for items that remove it (which i find horrible), or i change the field to string.
If I change it to string, either:
- i have to work now on the database upgrade script, which will take me some time,
- or we modify the xml files directly, fix the data you have already input in them, and i update the ruleset

For the second option, if you want you can send me the files and i fix them, or you would have to do it

You will have to do a search and replace:

you would have to replace:

<weight type="number">

with

<encumbrance type="string">

and

</weight>

with

</encumbrance>

Make sure you make a backup copy in case it messes up

If you want i can do it for you too...

After that, you will either type a number as always for encumbrance, or a + before the number, and the ruleset will understand that is a container that removes that amount of encumbrance from the character

sevrick
February 13th, 2020, 22:22
Awesome. I can edit the xml files myself. That's not a problem. When should I do it? Has it already been updated?

Also didn't you say you added tactical range? I don't see it as an option when adding items.

johniba
February 14th, 2020, 00:01
Awesome. I can edit the xml files myself. That's not a problem. When should I do it? Has it already been updated?

Also didn't you say you added tactical range? I don't see it as an option when adding items.

I am uploading a new version, adding among them, tactical range for weapons, and you can also edit the xml files already... the modification to the ruleset will use that

Also, check out the items buttons :)
I not only added a Gear button, but i revamped the lists so they now match what we see in official book lists

By the way, check out a few items, i think some ranged weapons have subtype "ranged weapon" and others "ranged weapons"

I wonder, what do you think, should maybe subtype be "Melee", "Ranged"... instead of "Melee Weapon(s)", etca? since the window already mentions weapons... but it is your call, if you prefer to subtype as "Ranged Weapon", "Ranged Weapons", or "Ranged"

And now that we have a Gear window, i can see one strange subtype, maybe it was a typo... it is for item "cybereyes"

johniba
February 14th, 2020, 00:12
RELEASE 2020-Feb-13

RELEASE NOTES:

I have done a few fixes and improvements:

Issues
[FIXED] Weapons can't be dragged to NPC Inventory.
[FIXED]Weapons in the NPCs combat tab can't be dragged to dice pool.
[FIXED]The Armor button in the items window is displaying AC and Wt instead of Armor, Defense, and Encumbrance
[FIXED] - rolling dice does not display actor name

Improvements:
[DONE]After clicking the Weapons button in the items window. You could mirror the tables in the official books. As well as change Wt to Enc.
[DONE]A Gear button for the Items window.
[DONE]When armor is worn, its encumbrance rating is supposed to be reduced by three, to a minimum of zero.
[DONE] Item database: item weight is no longer "weight" (numerical field), it is now "encumbrance" (string field) as now you can add a "+" sign to encumbrance, meaning that this item helps with encumbrance (backpack rules, Core Rulebook page 94)
If you type a "+" sign before the encumbrance number in the item, it will signal the character inventory that the item actually helps with encumbrance threshold.
For now what it means is that it will subtract encumbrance in the final total... in the future i will show a breakdown of encumbrance in the inventory ("encumbrance threshold: + 5 + "Backpacks" - Carried/Equiped items")

ITEMS:
- Added "Strategic" Range
We now have 3 special types:
- Armor, Weapon, Gear
We have a window for Gear (go to Items, click Gear Button)

All item lists (weapon, armor, gear) have columns listed in the same order as you will see in official books
For example

Weapons:
Name / Skill / Damage / Crit / Range / Encumbrance / Cost / Rarity / Special

Still working on the following issues/improvements: (not included in this release)

Improvements
- Display Encumbrance Threshold on character sheets.
- Weapon qualities not showing up in PC combat tab. You might show weapon qualities 1st then a description.
- More search filters for the items, such as searching by Skill and Setting.
- "I know it was possible in pathfinder and dnd to click on certain keywords, such as conditions, and then it would bring up another window displaying what the effect does. You could add this feature to Weapon qualities."
- Modify inventory script so that defense and soak are automatically calculated and updated on character sheet (i may have to postpone this, i may have to add melee/range defense to items, for special cases?)
- Allow player to drag a control to shortcuts, to roll dice in the dicepool
- finish combat track and initiative
- add controllable npcs and vehicles

[B]Attention:
Item database: item weight is no longer "weight" (numerical field), it is now "encumbrance" (string field) as now you can add a "+" sign to encumbrance, meaning that this item helps with encumbrance (backpack rules, Core Rulebook page 94)

Download as always:

Issues:
- Npc critical damage: minions should not get critical, should get direct damage based on critical severity
- Missing item hardpoints (maybe also create a database for hardpoints)

sevrick
February 14th, 2020, 00:43
I am uploading a new version, adding among them, tactical range for weapons, and you can also edit the xml files already... the modification to the ruleset will use that

Also, check out the items buttons :)
I not only added a Gear button, but i revamped the lists so they now match what we see in official book lists

By the way, check out a few items, i think some ranged weapons have subtype "ranged weapon" and others "ranged weapons"

I wonder, what do you think, should maybe subtype be "Melee", "Ranged"... instead of "Melee Weapon(s)", etca? since the window already mentions weapons... but it is your call, if you prefer to subtype as "Ranged Weapon", "Ranged Weapons", or "Ranged"

And now that we have a Gear window, i can see one strange subtype, maybe it was a typo... it is for item "cybereyes"

Sweet. I will have to look again after upload the new version so I can have a better gasp on how it should look. That being said my aim is to make it look and feel as much like the original books as possible. Yeah probably a typo for cybereyes.

johniba
February 14th, 2020, 01:16
Sweet. I will have to look again after upload the new version so I can have a better gasp on how it should look. That being said my aim is to make it look and feel as much like the original books as possible. Yeah probably a typo for cybereyes.

btw your suggestions are always really on point!

sevrick
February 14th, 2020, 01:52
The Libraries have been cleaned up and should look a lot better. I took your suggestion and did a way with the redundancies.

One other thing you might want to make the cost column width just a tiny bit bigger so that the paces can all be on one line. I just noticed this with the prices in Shadow of the Beanstalk.:)

It's coming together, it's so exciting!!

johniba
February 14th, 2020, 03:44
The Libraries have been cleaned up and should look a lot better. I took your suggestion and did a way with the redundancies.

One other thing you might want to make the cost column width just a tiny bit bigger so that the paces can all be on one line. I just noticed this with the prices in Shadow of the Beanstalk.:)

It's coming together, it's so exciting!!

WOW you are quick haha, i will upload them

Oh i will do it on the next update then!

Yeah it is exciting!

sevrick
February 15th, 2020, 21:31
So I notice when entering the descriptions for talents that some talents have multiple paragraphs, but when creating a new line it doesn't add the space between the paragraphs like it does with the story tab. It might look more consistent across the board if it worked the same.

Also I decided to just use the symbol that were in the old rule set that was mentioned earlier. If I need to change them it can be done easily with the find and replace function with notepad ++.

One last thing. I am not sure if I mentioned it but bold and italics don't seem to work in the talent descriptions either.

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 02:07
So I notice when entering the descriptions for talents that some talents have multiple paragraphs, but when creating a new line it doesn't add the space between the paragraphs like it does with the story tab. It might look more consistent across the board if it worked the same.

Also I decided to just use the symbol that were in the old rule set that was mentioned earlier. If I need to change them it can be done easily with the find and replace function with notepad ++.

One last thing. I am not sure if I mentioned it but bold and italics don't seem to work in the talent descriptions either.

Ah, I have investigated here, and in Talents, the Description field was not the proper format, so it did not allow you to format text.
I have fixed it, but I am afraid you will need to do some search and replace in your mods.

Please to the following in your files:

Search for:
<description type="string">

Change to:
<description type="formattedtext">

After that, check if the field is working ok in the ruleset

You will need this new version I have uploaded:

Let me know if the formating and paragraphs are working now.

I will provide more details on changes, in my text post after this reply

About symbols: yes you can do that. I did some tests with creating a Genesys font, and i think i can make it work.

So here is how it works.
Later when I implement the font, if you are editing any of those formatting fields (in story, talent, item etca), if you type the code like (D) for example, after the record is closed, the ruleset internally replaces that with the proper character, which in terms of notepad++ for this example is & #250;

(notice I added a <space> between & and #.. that is because the forum is replacing that code with the character...

So here is the table (I have included the force die also, because i will use the same code for later, easier to maintain)

symbol replacements

& #255; - (S) - Success
& #254; - (!) - Triumph
& #253; - (F) - Failure
& #252; - (T) - Threat
& #251; - (A) - Advantage
& #250; - (D) - Despair
& #249; - (-) - Darkside Force
& #248; - (+) - Lightside Force

dice replacements

& #247; - [F] - force die
& #246; - [A] - ability die
& #245; - [D] - difficulty die
& #244; - [P] - proficiency die
& #243; - [C] - challenge
& #242; - [B] - boost
& #241; - [S] - setback

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 04:44
Sweet it should be easy enough to find and replace what I have done so far.

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 08:05
RELEASE NOTES 2020-Feb-16

- Weapon Properties (special) not showing in PC/NPC combat tab:
I have fixed this. Now under the equiped weapon you can see the special powers.
I did not add description though. I want to test it this way, maybe adding description is information overload/bloated window... but lets see. I can add it later.

- Dice Pool:
As an alternative to clicking the "roll dice pool" button, a player can instead use the /rolldicepool command
Players can also type that command in chat window and instead of hitting ENTER, drag it into their shortcut to reuse.

- Player/NPC Character Sheet:
1 - Talents in main tab now also show description, so it is easy to read all talents and what they do. (I will later do the same for Species and Special Abilities)

- Reorganized NPC Sheet
- Added: Power Level (Combat, Social, General) as per Expanded Player's Guide rules

Overall:
- Description fields such as in Items, Talents, Notes on npc sheets etca are now properly using formatted text, meaning text can be formatter just like in Stories, with bold, bullets, etca.
(I still need to add custom genesys symbols to the font, this will come later)

- More search filters for the items, such as searching by Skill and Setting.

Download:

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 08:06

Hey, check out the new version.
Not a complete solution yet, but now you can have a /rolldicepool command in shortcuts :)

viresanimi
February 16th, 2020, 11:17
As an alternative to clicking the "roll dice pool" button, a player can instead use the /rolldicepool command

Definately a good idea!

Talents in main tab now also show description, so it is easy to read all talents and what they do. (I will later do the same for Species and Special Abilities)

That could easily turn into a wall of text, you would have to scroll through. Perhaps not so bad for Genesys, but for Star Wars. That will translate into lots and lots of text. It is certainly an interesting idea for the ease of fast reference.

Regarding the symbols:
As I have done before, I started making a reference for the symbols by typing them directly into FG. I could not make any of the force symbols work. All others worked fine.
Also, while you can have dark / light side results on dice, the corresponding symbols were changed from Edge of Empire (when the other ruleset was made) to Force And Destiny, where they refined a lot of things.
The symbols for Light / dark side was replaced with a "force symbol". This is how it looks like:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/star-wars-rpg-ffg/images/a/a8/FFG-StarWarsRPG_DICE%2BGUIDE.jpg

Career / Species:
I noticed that links dropped into the Career / Species slots do not make a copy of the reference, but merely links to it, unlike most other rulesets. This is fine, if you do not ever tinker with these references. However, if you want to customize 1 character slightly for - say story purposes - you would have to make a copy of said reference, alter it and then link it to that specific character - otherwise you would change it for all other characters too.

My personal view on this, is that any link dropped on to a character / npc, should be its own copy and not a reference. Because it is so easy to mess things up if you don't.

Well... I promised myself I wouldn't get ahead of myself and start working on stuff that I have planned before the dice symbols where in. I guess I don't have an excuse anymore! Great work so far!

alfarobl
February 16th, 2020, 11:28
There is a new problem with the new updated version of the ruleset with FGU just FYI:

When ever you drop a dice inside the Dicepool now it comes with the following errors

[2/16/2020 12:19:56 PM] [NOTICE] s'ChatManagerGenesys.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
[2/16/2020 12:19:56 PM] [NOTICE] s'ChatManagerGenesys.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
[2/16/2020 12:24:09 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
[2/16/2020 12:24:09 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dProficiency'
[2/16/2020 12:24:09 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:235: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)
[2/16/2020 12:24:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
[2/16/2020 12:24:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dProficiency,dBoost'
[2/16/2020 12:24:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:235: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 15:24
I just tested the update and noticed that having the descriptions shown my not be the best. The descriptions can get quite long. You could have it reference the summery window instead. That way it's there for who want to make use of it. And if you don't just leave summery blank. Still it's up to you.

I had idea for the talents you could have sub categories for talents on the main page for different tier talents. This would be handy, for example so at a glance you could tell how many tier 1 talents you have so you know how many more you need before a tier 2. It also would be good for NPCs to see at a glance what there most powerful talents are. If you do go this route something to keep in mind is that there is no such distinction of tier talents in star wars so the extension would need to be changed accordingly. The summery idea would work even better with star wars since you could use the description they have in their trees for the summery.

I noticed some of the weapon names and weapon qualities gets cut off in the combat tab of the NPC and PC. I don't know if it could be fixed by allowing the players to resize the window or if making the name column wider would be better. For the weapon qualities if it word wrapped so to speak that would work.

Other than that everything is looking great thanks for your hard work.:)

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 15:47
That could easily turn into a wall of text, you would have to scroll through. Perhaps not so bad for Genesys, but for Star Wars. That will translate into lots and lots of text. It is certainly an interesting idea for the ease of fast reference.

That is a very good reason, and I am pretty sure the same problems would happen with Genesys, so I rolled back to how it was before.

Regarding the symbols:
As I have done before, I started making a reference for the symbols by typing them directly into FG. I could not make any of the force symbols work. All others worked fine.
Also, while you can have dark / light side results on dice, the corresponding symbols were changed from Edge of Empire (when the other ruleset was made) to Force And Destiny, where they refined a lot of things.
The symbols for Light / dark side was replaced with a "force symbol". This is how it looks like:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/star-wars-rpg-ffg/images/a/a8/FFG-StarWarsRPG_DICE%2BGUIDE.jpg

Thanks, while testing with creating new fonts, I saw that difference. I will make sure to take this into consideration when creating a new font for Star Wars.
I wont be able to reuse the same one that the SW ruleset has, since it is not TTF.

Career / Species:
I noticed that links dropped into the Career / Species slots do not make a copy of the reference, but merely links to it, unlike most other rulesets. This is fine, if you do not ever tinker with these references. However, if you want to customize 1 character slightly for - say story purposes - you would have to make a copy of said reference, alter it and then link it to that specific character - otherwise you would change it for all other characters too.

My personal view on this, is that any link dropped on to a character / npc, should be its own copy and not a reference. Because it is so easy to mess things up if you don't.

Career / Species is working the same way as Classes/Races work in 3.5 and 5.
When something like a Talent is dragged/copied into a sheet, it makes a copy of the whole record, so in the character we have all info from that record, in a child node.
That means we have efectivelly a complete sub-record, so clicking that link in the sheet opens up that copied record and not the original link.

For Careers and "Races" though, that is different.
We are only populating the Career/"Race" description, and just checked in the case of DnD 5, when you drag something like a class, it will also input more info into the sheet from that class (Something i will have to work and do too, because in our database careers and races will have subrecords like abilities for example, that we want copied over)
So I just copied that behaviour when making the ruleset.
I could copy the career/race record into a subrecord in the character node, but i think that would be overkill.

I think we have a choice: I could be done with the link and remove it... or we keep it this way.
There is a bug that affects 3.5, 5 and also our ruleset (it is an issue in CORERPG i think, which all use): if you dragged a race/career/class into the sheet, and want to remove, you can empty the description, but the link remains, and the only way to change that is by dragging another record into it, and i want to fix that later.

BTW: I have removed the talent description, and reuploaded the ruleset

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 15:49
There is a new problem with the new updated version of the ruleset with FGU just FYI:

When ever you drop a dice inside the Dicepool now it comes with the following errors

I just tested that issue, and it also happens with previous versions of genesys ruleset i have, it seems this is an issue with the recent FGU updates.
I will write this down so i dont forget to check later....

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 15:57
I just tested the update and noticed that having the descriptions shown my not be the best. The descriptions can get quite long. You could have it reference the summery window instead. That way it's there for who want to make use of it. And if you don't just leave summery blank. Still it's up to you.

I had idea for the talents you could have sub categories for talents on the main page for different tier talents. This would be handy, for example so at a glance you could tell how many tier 1 talents you have so you know how many more you need before a tier 2. It also would be good for NPCs to see at a glance what there most powerful talents are. If you do go this route something to keep in mind is that there is no such distinction of tier talents in star wars so the extension would need to be changed accordingly. The summery idea would work even better with star wars since you could use the description they have in their trees for the summery.

I noticed some of the weapon names and weapon qualities gets cut off in the combat tab of the NPC and PC. I don't know if it could be fixed by allowing the players to resize the window or if making the name column wider would be better. For the weapon qualities if it word wrapped so to speak that would work.

Other than that everything is looking great thanks for your hard work.:)

- Talent descriptions:
Yeah it was a bad idea and i reverted back (download available already)
What reference summary window do you mean? Does it exist somewhere already, where I can look at? If not, describe what you mean and i can make it work!

I like the idea of tiers in the main tab.
Maybe I could list it like Skills are listed, add a column for the Tier, and also reorder the list, showing something like:

Talent description - Tier

So you would see:

TalentAAA - Tier 1
TalentBBB - Tier 1
TalentAAX - Tier 2

Also, this makes me think i need to improve the Talent database window... allow search filters by tier, and possiobly make a window similar to items, for talents, so we can have a nice window displaying them... i will make this

When it comes the time to work on the update for star wars, I will take this into consideration, i will have to look at the rulebook anyway, and get you guys feedback....
We may have some improvements also, maybe features SW ruleset users have in their wishlist

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 16:21

I just had an idea.
I think i will change the layout on the combat tab, make that part where weapons are displayed wider, putting talent/etca below it.
That way, i can make that combat list a one liner (just like the skills tab)
I think this will solve the problem, plus i thought of something else:
This way in combat tab i could maybe display ALL weapons the character is carrying, and just like in the inventory tab, add the "carried/equiped" icon.
This way during turns, the player knows if the weapon is in his hand or not, and even during play inform he is spending a mavouver to equip, for example.

After that, below weapons, i display one half to the left: talents and abilities... and to the right: crit damage, ongoing effects

I think the window will look better

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 16:26
When entering information into a talent the summery is there I just never filled it in because I didn't know what it would be used for. I guess now we do.:)

That sounds good with the talents. I pictured it differently by Replacing the Talents Header in the main tab with; Tier 1 Talents, Tier 2 Talents, etc... Then when you dragged talents from the library and it would put it where it goes. This way you wouldn't need to add columns that would take away room from the summery description of the talent.

Either way not sure witch one would look better yet.

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 16:29
I just had an idea.
I think i will change the layout on the combat tab, make that part where weapons are displayed wider, putting talent/etca below it.
That way, i can make that combat list a one liner (just like the skills tab)
I think this will solve the problem, plus i thought of something else:
This way in combat tab i could maybe display ALL weapons the character is carrying, and just like in the inventory tab, add the "carried/equiped" icon.
This way during turns, the player knows if the weapon is in his hand or not, and even during play inform he is spending a mavouver to equip, for example.

After that, below weapons, i display one half to the left: talents and abilities... and to the right: crit damage, ongoing effects

I think the window will look better

Sounds awesome. Although I can't get a picture in my head of what it would look like I am sure it will be good.

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 16:40
When entering information into a talent the summery is there I just never filled it in because I didn't know what it would be used for. I guess now we do.:)

That sounds good with the talents. I pictured it differently by Replacing the Talents Header in the main tab with; Tier 1 Talents, Tier 2 Talents, etc... Then when you dragged talents from the library and it would put it where it goes. This way you wouldn't need to add columns that would take away room from the summery description of the talent.

Either way not sure witch one would look better yet.

OK I will try to make it like that

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 16:41
Sounds awesome. Although I can't get a picture in my head of what it would look like I am sure it will be good.

Imagine just like the official character sheet

I will also relist skill, so it will have the same columns as in that part of the sheet

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 16:41
As far as the Career/Species goes, The thing the other systems have done is make it to where you drag the premade Career/Species on the character and it adds the appropriate stats. This would be a awesome. Of course that would mean each Career/Species would have to have a place to enter the information much like talents or weapons.

This would be low priority I would think though.

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 16:48
As far as the Career/Species goes, The thing the other systems have done is make it to where you drag the premade Career/Species on the character and it adds the appropriate stats. This would be a awesome. Of course that would mean each Career/Species would have to have a place to enter the information much like talents or weapons.

This would be low priority I would think though.

Yes this is on my list: i want to improve the species/archetype record also:
I will add all info like we did for items and talents, even initial stats etca
So when you drag that into a character, it will populate with initial stats, xp, etca...

I only have to think what i want to do if a player does that after he has already modified his char... if he drags another archetype, he could overwrite any stats he entered.. so maybe i do a check, maybe not in the beginning though

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 16:56
I only have to think what i want to do if a player does that after he has already modified his char... if he drags another archetype, he could overwrite any stats he entered.. so maybe i do a check, maybe not in the beginning though

I would just say that it overites the changes. To be real species is one of the 1st things you do and career is a close 2nd. I would think they would just make their changes after they have applied the species/Archtype.

alfarobl
February 16th, 2020, 19:04
I just tested that issue, and it also happens with previous versions of genesys ruleset i have, it seems this is an issue with the recent FGU updates.
I will write this down so i dont forget to check later....

Maybe it is new because of FGU updates (almost daily if not more)... but It did not fail before with older versions of the ruleset and/or FGU. It did not complain before for sure when I tested it. Dice seem to roll and work but it is complaining about that error. They probably try to enforce as much as possible clean code to avoid issues. The have mayor issues with code as they cannot return back to menu for example they need to exit to clean up enviroment.

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 19:51
Maybe it is new because of FGU updates (almost daily if not more)... but It did not fail before with older versions of the ruleset and/or FGU. It did not complain before for sure when I tested it. Dice seem to roll and work but it is complaining about that error. They probably try to enforce as much as possible clean code to avoid issues. The have mayor issues with code as they cannot return back to menu for example they need to exit to clean up enviroment.

Actually thank for doing these tests, it is always good to have someone that is running in FGU... I am not activelly trying to run it everytime, but whenever you see an issue lemme know.
I will at least write these down so i dont forget to fix later

I am sure i can fix it, since it only happens with dragging, and not double clicking...

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 21:41
Maybe someone can help me. I am trying to figure a way to enter the descriptions for me without having to create a new campaign folder for just the non descriptions. I came up with an idea to use find and replace.

Search: <text type="formattedtext"></text>

Replace: <text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook</text>

The problem is how do I tell notepad++ that I want replace whats in between <text type="formattedtext"> and </text> with "See Genesys Core Rulebook"?

joeblack1863
February 16th, 2020, 22:14
You don't, you just let it replace the whole thing as it is still correct and will contain the description text.

e.g.
Replace "<text type="formattedtext"></text>"
with "<text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook</text>"

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 22:29
You don't, you just let it replace the whole thing as it is still correct and will contain the description text.

e.g.
Replace "<text type="formattedtext"></text>"
with "<text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook</text>"

That doesn't work because each description is different. What you told it to do is find everything without a description and add "See Genesys Core Rulebook".

What I am looking for is some sort wild card formatting that it will know to replace whatever is there with "See Genesys Core Rulebook".

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 22:31
Maybe someone can help me. I am trying to figure a way to enter the descriptions for me without having to create a new campaign folder for just the non descriptions. I came up with an idea to use find and replace.

Search: <text type="formattedtext"></text>

Replace: <text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook</text>

The problem is how do I tell notepad++ that I want replace whats in between <text type="formattedtext"> and </text> with "See Genesys Core Rulebook"?

It depends

If what you want to replace is those empty tags with one with content, you just do exactly the search and replace you mentioned.

If you want something specific, there are ways to do search and replace with regex in notepad++, but i am not sure i understood what you want

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 22:37
So I am modifying the combat tab, and I am in a dilemma so i decided to share it here and get opinions.

I am trying to make the weapon list more clear, expanding its width, so I will also put talents/abilities and critical/effects below it

I am making the weapon list expand if the player resize the sheet, but talents etca will have a fixed height

I am wondering if talents/abilities really are important to have in the combat tab. What is the impact if i leave it only in the main tab, and the player clicks there to look at it?
If I removed talents from combat window, i could also expand the critical list, and possibly add the critical description.

If not, I could also expand the sheet default height, make this talent list higher, but i already think the minimum height for this sheet is too long already.

P.S.: in the screenshot, talents/abilities/critical are one window but if i keep them there, i am thinking of splitting into two windows: one to the left with talents+abilities, one to the right with critical+effects

Check the attached screenshot

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 23:26
So I have filled in the description for the talents and items. I want to edit the code by removing the descriptions and adding "See Genesys Core Rulebook" in its place and saving it as a new file I can distribute.

In the code all descriptions are between "<text type="formattedtext">" and "</text>."

So replacing this: <text type="formattedtext">This is a weapon description.</text>

With this: <text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook.</text>

johniba
February 16th, 2020, 23:34
So I have filled in the description for the talents and items. I want to edit the code by removing the descriptions and adding "See Genesys Core Rulebook" in its place and saving it as a new file I can distribute.

In the code all descriptions are between "<text type="formattedtext">" and "</text>."

So replacing this: <text type="formattedtext">This is a weapon description.</text>

With this: <text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook.</text>

I can show you how to do regex replace, but one question: will you just leave "See Genesys Core Rulebook", with no page numbers like before?

sevrick
February 16th, 2020, 23:50
I can show you how to do regex replace, but one question: will you just leave "See Genesys Core Rulebook", with no page numbers like before?

Sadly yes because I would rather have it be this way than have 1 campaign for community and 1 for me and that would be for each book. So far there are 4 source books 4x2 is 8 campaign folders. You can only imagine if i started doing star wars source books.

BTW I do own all the star wars source books.

johniba
February 17th, 2020, 00:08
Sadly yes because I would rather have it be this way than have 1 campaign for community and 1 for me and that would be for each book. So far there are 4 source books 4x2 is 8 campaign folders. You can only imagine if i started doing star wars source books.

BTW I do own all the star wars source books.

You can try this:

In notepad++, first test with find

in Find What use:

<text type="formattedtext">.*</text >

in Search mode, select "Regular Expression"

Try hitting "Find all in current document"

If it find all lines and works, you can now use that in the replace window

Same thing, except for replace with:

<text type="formattedtext">See Genesys Core Rulebook.</text>

It may not work is the start and end tags are not in the same line, but i remember using this at work, and i think i used a notepad++ plugin to make the tags go into the same line, i would replace, and later use the plugin again to make it idented again

sevrick
February 17th, 2020, 01:22
Nope didn't work.:(

As far as the combat tab lay out. It looks like you have the name of the weapon take up half the width of the window. What if you shurk the weapons window horazontaly to the right. Then leave a small space to the left of the weapons for critical and ongoing status effects. It would make sense for those to be lumped together anyway.

Below those have the species and special abilities to bottom left and to the right the talents.

Something like this

Critical injuries (1/4 of the window taken up on the left side) Weapons (3/4 of the window taken up on the right side)
Ongoing Status Effects
----- ------
Species and Special Abilities (1/4 of the window taken up on the left side) Talents (3/4 of the window taken up on the right side)

Give the things less window space that aren't going to play as big of a role. The amount space need for Crits and ongoing effects should be minimal since you won't normally accumulate that many. Like wise Species and Special Abilities on PC's you won't get any new abilities most likely. You may however give them a little bit more room on an NPC sheet though.

Ever growing is your stash of weapons and talents as such they should take up the majority of space.

johniba
February 17th, 2020, 01:38
Nope didn't work.:(

As far as the combat tab lay out. It looks like you have the name of the weapon take up half the width of the window. What if you shurk the weapons window horazontaly to the right. Then leave a small space to the left of the weapons for critical and ongoing status effects. It would make sense for those to be lumped together anyway.

Below those have the species and special abilities to bottom left and to the right the talents.

Something like this

Critical injuries (1/4 of the window taken up on the left side) Weapons (3/4 of the window taken up on the right side)
Ongoing Status Effects
----- ------
Species and Special Abilities (1/4 of the window taken up on the left side) Talents (3/4 of the window taken up on the right side)

Give the things less window space that aren't going to play as big of a role. The amount space need for Crits and ongoing effects should be minimal since you won't normally accumulate that many. Like wise Species and Special Abilities on PC's you won't get any new abilities most likely. You may however give them a little bit more room on an NPC sheet though.

Ever growing is your stash of weapons and talents as such they should take up the majority of space.

ok, maybe you can send me a few records from your xml file, and i can try to find a solution to replace the data...

I will look tomorrow at your combat tab layout suggestion

Hurske
February 17th, 2020, 02:41
I think it is convenient to have talents on the combat tab. Less switching of tabs in the middle of a combat if you have combat based talents.

sevrick
February 18th, 2020, 00:24
So I did some more testing and noticed the Identified/non-Identified item function hides everything except the Non-ID Name and the Non-ID Notes.

I was thinking about what if you made everything show when not identified except: Non-ID Name, Non-ID Notes, Price, and Rarity. That way you would kill two birds with one stone. It would 1st hide the high cost and/or Rarity of a magic weapon or armor, so as to not give anything away. 2nd it would allow for Players to appraise items. Players could just expect all items will be missing that information by default.

johniba
February 18th, 2020, 00:57
So I did some more testing and noticed the Identified/non-Identified item function hides everything except the Non-ID Name and the Non-ID Notes.

I was thinking about what if you made everything show when not identified except: Non-ID Name, Non-ID Notes, Price, and Rarity. That way you would kill two birds with one stone. It would 1st hide the high cost and/or Rarity of a magic weapon or armor, so as to not give anything away. 2nd it would allow for Players to appraise items. Players could just expect all items will be missing that information by default.

I can definitelly do that, and we can test it.
By the way, did you manage to edit your files?

sevrick
February 18th, 2020, 01:07
Not yet.

Edit: Also just noticed that you can't enter ranks in a talent on an NPC or PC sheet. The box is there but just will not allow you to enter an amount. I also noticed I click the box and type the numbers end up in the chat window.

Edit: 1 more thing I am not sure why but when dragging a token onto an npc the token is way small on the sheet its self. But when dragged to a map it looks ok.

sevrick
February 20th, 2020, 01:33
So I have been doing a lot of description entry and I noticed that some descriptions are going to be way too long for the combat tab. So I had a thought. What if you added a summery tab to weapons category and that description would be what goes in the combat tab. It would basically be the crunch if there is any.

johniba
February 20th, 2020, 13:59
So I have been doing a lot of description entry and I noticed that some descriptions are going to be way too long for the combat tab. So I had a thought. What if you added a summery tab to weapons category and that description would be what goes in the combat tab. It would basically be the crunch if there is any.

Hi Sevrick,

Yeah basically what it was originally in the sw ruleset, right?
I've been thinking maybe i can have another solution...
I want a very lean combat tab, but also i want good info for the player, so i will tinker with some ideas, maybe a separate mini combat window that could basically give more info on weapons?
Then we remove all descriptions etca, we only list the weapons, since well, after you play a bit you should be familiar with your weapons...

I will focus on finishing the missing features first, if you are ok with it, I want the ruleset to be feature complete first.
I will work on this before i finish vehicles though

sevrick
February 20th, 2020, 18:18
Hi Sevrick,

Yeah basically what it was originally in the sw ruleset, right?
I've been thinking maybe i can have another solution...
I want a very lean combat tab, but also i want good info for the player, so i will tinker with some ideas, maybe a separate mini combat window that could basically give more info on weapons?
Then we remove all descriptions etca, we only list the weapons, since well, after you play a bit you should be familiar with your weapons...

I will focus on finishing the missing features first, if you are ok with it, I want the ruleset to be feature complete first.
I will work on this before i finish vehicles though

Oh yeah no worries. I just wanted get my ideas out there. It would be nice to have it in a playable state. I am going to try play it as is this Sunday. For the most part the bare bones is there except the combat tracker. If you aren't done with the combat tracker by then I can do it through other means. Dont feel you have to kill yourself getting it done on my account.:)

As for as your idea we could try the mini combat tab and see if it works

johniba
February 20th, 2020, 19:14
Oh yeah no worries. I just wanted get my ideas out there. It would be nice to have it in a playable state. I am going to try play it as is this Sunday. For the most part the bare bones is there except the combat tracker. If you aren't done with the combat tracker by then I can do it through other means. Dont feel you have to kill yourself getting it done on my account.:)

As for as your idea we could try the mini combat tab and see if it works

I will certainly try to make a viable combat tracker by the weekend
Independent of that, have fun and i cant wait to get feedback from you from your session

GrizzledNoob
February 21st, 2020, 04:49
I am planning on running my first genesys session on Sunday as well. I would like to use this version going forward but the combat tracker not ready and assigning damage not working for me will have to put that on hold. Once I am able to use it, I will provide feedback as well. Thanks for the hard work. Ill keep an eye on the thread to see if those functions are working by Saturday night n

johniba
February 21st, 2020, 12:53
I am planning on running my first genesys session on Sunday as well. I would like to use this version going forward but the combat tracker not ready and assigning damage not working for me will have to put that on hold. Once I am able to use it, I will provide feedback as well. Thanks for the hard work. Ill keep an eye on the thread to see if those functions are working by Saturday night n

Hi Grizzled, thanks

Can you explain the issue you are having not being able to assign damage? It should be working

GrizzledNoob
February 21st, 2020, 15:59
If I drag the damage from a PC weapon roll over to the NPC minion group I created, I get this error:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/manager_char_genesys.lua"]:764: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value

sevrick
February 21st, 2020, 17:26
If I drag the damage from a PC weapon roll over to the NPC minion group I created, I get this error:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/manager_char_genesys.lua"]:764: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value

I think I know the problem. Are you using a weapon from the library? If so I think I may have forgotten to upload the realms of terrinoth library with the rich text changes. I will reload them as soon as I get home from work. Which should be in a out 5 hours.

GrizzledNoob
February 21st, 2020, 21:22
I did use the library and just brought over one of the swords into the inventory.

Just as a test I created a weapon in my inventory and attacked with it. I received the same error with the custom weapon I made.

Here is the info I added for the weapon:
Type Weapon
Subtype <null - left blank>
Skill Brawl
Damage +5
Critical 2
Range -

I then modified the weapon stats to be a straight damage 5 and it did apply the damage. I had to restart the program to get it to work. Once that error happens, even straight damage hits do not apply any damage. So it may be something with not being able to add the Brawn in automatically?

Hopefully that help. And hopefully it is not something I screwed up by tinkering with anything.
Thanks.

sevrick
February 21st, 2020, 23:26
So the Realms of Terrinoth descriptions should no longer give an error.

Also I Edited the Expanded players guide because the names with weird characters, weren't in the title as well as the culture the item is from.

And I edited the title so I could differentiate my own library with descriptions and the one to upload. You should be able to easily change the title if you want by editing the definition.xml file.

sevrick
February 23rd, 2020, 22:26
I got a really weird bug. When I create a new npc it is created with random talents and abilities of npc I have already made.

viresanimi
February 23rd, 2020, 23:36
Oh god no. That is a legacy bug from the original Star Wars Ruleset. It is the worst bug in there!

punisher5150
February 23rd, 2020, 23:50
Oh god no. That is a legacy bug from the original Star Wars Ruleset. It is the worst bug in there!

Was that bug fixed in the later version (v2) of the ruleset?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24151-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Age-of-Rebellion-Force-and-Destiny-v2-ruleset&highlight=Star+Wars+ruleset

sevrick
February 24th, 2020, 00:04
It might be a result of copy pasting code from the star wars ruleset.

punisher5150
February 24th, 2020, 00:06
If that's the case I would definitely make sure and use the version 2 of the ruleset from the link above. I've been using that version of Star Wars for a few years and have never noticed an NPC bug like the one you described. It may also help with the vehicles section as I seem to rememebr some changes to that function as well.

viresanimi
February 24th, 2020, 00:43
Oh no, I've been using that version for years. If you make your own talents / species / what not, and put it into a module, the problems come running like crazy.

EDIT: I double checked the version numbers and seems like I've been using 1.1. Unbelievably both versions has the exact same size, so I think I've not copied the right version in. I will have to look into things now. But if I've struggled with that bug for years because I am dumb... I am going to cry... hehehhe

punisher5150
February 24th, 2020, 01:28
Oh no, I've been using that version for years. If you make your own talents / species / what not, and put it into a module, the problems come running like crazy.

EDIT: I double checked the version numbers and seems like I've been using 1.1. Unbelievably both versions has the exact same size, so I think I've not copied the right version in. I will have to look into things now. But if I've struggled with that bug for years because I am dumb... I am going to cry... hehehhe

I have made numerous modules with version 2 of the ruleset and the behavior described doesn't occur. I do vaguely remember something weird with version 1 of the ruleset and NPCs but its been awhile. I think version 2 came out around May 2015!

There were several fixes/improvements with the combat tracker, vehicles, etc. You can see a list of them all in the first post of the link I posted a couple of replies up from this one.

viresanimi
February 24th, 2020, 11:52
I have now been testing with modules that I updated from 1.1 to 2.1. "Some" issues have gone but all. I can still get module data that just appears on new NPC sheets. I will grant you, that the campaigns were also 1.1 and updated now, and that there might be things lurking in the campaign code, but well....

The fact of the matter is that the code from the star wars ruleset has had issues with data being sent directly to npc sheets upon creation and I cannot stress how important I feel that this bug be found and brutally murdered. It is the single most annoying bug I have ever dealt with in Fantasy Grounds (and I've dealt with a few).

This is like, the most important reason for me to switch to CoreRPG. To not have to deal with the issues of the old ruleset.

EDIT: I tried some bug hunting. I don't know if this will be usefull, but here goes:

My current issue is that when I create a new NPC with updated ruleset and module, the first NPC I make if just fine. No issues. The next one has all the data that starts with | Career | now appears in the Species and Special abilities section. The one after that now have the | Force | entries. Followed by | Specializations | in the third and finally | Species | in the fourth.

NPC's created after those first 5 all seem to be ok.

This also happens in a brand new campaign with no extensions running. So in my book. Even the 2.1d ruleset probably still has issues lurking somewhere.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that this utter mess used to extend to talents too, but it doesn't now ... much.

punisher5150
February 26th, 2020, 12:54
I have now been testing with modules that I updated from 1.1 to 2.1. "Some" issues have gone but all. I can still get module data that just appears on new NPC sheets. I will grant you, that the campaigns were also 1.1 and updated now, and that there might be things lurking in the campaign code, but well....

The fact of the matter is that the code from the star wars ruleset has had issues with data being sent directly to npc sheets upon creation and I cannot stress how important I feel that this bug be found and brutally murdered. It is the single most annoying bug I have ever dealt with in Fantasy Grounds (and I've dealt with a few).

This is like, the most important reason for me to switch to CoreRPG. To not have to deal with the issues of the old ruleset.

EDIT: I tried some bug hunting. I don't know if this will be usefull, but here goes:

My current issue is that when I create a new NPC with updated ruleset and module, the first NPC I make if just fine. No issues. The next one has all the data that starts with | Career | now appears in the Species and Special abilities section. The one after that now have the | Force | entries. Followed by | Specializations | in the third and finally | Species | in the fourth.

NPC's created after those first 5 all seem to be ok.

This also happens in a brand new campaign with no extensions running. So in my book. Even the 2.1d ruleset probably still has issues lurking somewhere.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that this utter mess used to extend to talents too, but it doesn't now ... much.

I typically used NPCs from the SW GM Encounter Library module as templates and just tweaked where needed. However the ones I did make from scratch from the NPC New command did not show the behavior described. Maybe it’s because there were several NPCs already in the NPC tab at that point.