PDA

View Full Version : Really high CPU usage

Zychrias
January 16th, 2020, 04:00
I noticed today, that my Ryzen 7 2700X system shows 1% CPU utilization, and my older i5 4590 system shows 80%-100% CPU usage.

Both while just sitting at the Launcher.

What gives?

thefile
January 17th, 2020, 02:45
Yes please. I have two i5 4 core Win10 boxes that this happens on. It makes FGU unusable.

pollux
January 17th, 2020, 03:10
I don't have links handy, but the devs have responded several times that FGU has had essentially no optimization work at all yet and that it won't get it until the bugs and features are much further along. The network protocols are still buggy enough that they're advising against live play sessions. They've got to knock that down before moving on to optimization work (which is on the roadmap).

Your experience is typical of the current state of the beta, but things will improve prior to general availability.

LordEntrails
January 17th, 2020, 03:47
Yes please. I have two i5 4 core Win10 boxes that this happens on. It makes FGU unusable.
What makes FGU unusable? And please precisely define what you mean by "unusable".

Please provide details in a manner similar to how it is listed in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51687-How-to-Report-Issues-Bugs-and-Problems

thefile
January 17th, 2020, 22:04
CPU load goes to 100% on load of Launcher. Launch of vanilla 5E game takes 10 minutes to come up, unless minimized. Minimized it takes <1 minute. CPU stays at 100%.

Steps to reproduce the error: Start FGU
If related to updating, please include relevant section of the "FantasyGroundsUpdater.log" file found in your FG installation directory. N/A
Any relevant information from the "console.log" file found in your FG Data directory.
[1/16/2020 8:32:56 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[1/16/2020 8:36:26 PM] [NOTICE] Spawning private server.
[1/16/2020 8:36:26 PM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
[1/16/2020 8:36:26 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[1/16/2020 8:36:27 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
Operating system (Mac OS 10.15, Windows 10, etc): Windows 10
Ruleset(s) you are experiencing the issue(s) in. I've only tried 5E, but occurs in the Launcher, anyway
Is this a newly FGU created campaign or one migrated from FGC? Default Campaign, vanilla install
What modules do you have loaded? Are any of these DLC from sources other than the FGU updater? (i.e. manually migrated or 3rd party content): None.
Intel i5-2400 8GB RAM, SSD Disk

Tyrannosaurus VeX
January 17th, 2020, 23:10
I have an Intel i7-4790k and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ti.

I don't have high GPU usage unless I'm doing multiple images WITH weather FX, but I do get relatively high CPU usage, even switching from the main tab on a character sheet to the actions tab, FGU's CPU usage will go from 40-50% when idle to 100% usage and it takes a second or two to actually switch to the tab, then another second or two to actually load all the weapons, coding, effects, spells, etc.

LordEntrails
January 18th, 2020, 17:50
@thefile, I want to make sure I understand the issue. So right now FGU is not crashing? It is just taking a long time to launch (unless you minimize, which is interesting). That would indicate to mean that FGU is usable, just slow.

If that is the case, it's pretty much known, no performance optimization is yet being done. Stability is the focus at the moment. But, to help identify this, have you added any graphic assets (maps, tokens, etc) to FGU yet? Do you have many of the token packs from the FG Store?

Star Drayke
March 17th, 2020, 05:04
@LordEntrails This is correct, FGU is not crashing. CPU usage is around 170%, from 1G to 2.4G Mem. I take it optimization is still down the road aways. I find it really hard to multitask, chrome and fantasy grounds, (discord, slack, teamspeak, zoom, are usually negligible)

Just for comparison, with the identical maps, modules books loaded, FGC runs about 67% (with all the other programs running as well)

(2.6Ghz i7-8850H, 16G, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB MacOs Mojave)
(And just in case, FGC usually has 3 threads, FGU averages 63)

yeknom
March 17th, 2020, 14:23
I'd like to add that I have two i5's and plenty of RAM and Unity is slow when I type in text of any kind. It takes seconds for what I type to appear. Even if I have nothing else running at all this happens.

LordEntrails
March 17th, 2020, 16:41
Some optimization has been done since my last post in this thread. But, these 'list' type issues are still known and have not been optimized yet. But it is on the list to do soon.

thymon
April 11th, 2020, 21:47
Same thing here :)

When the first player join my game, my CPU is at 100%.
I can't use FGU so I play FGC... :(

Core i7-3665QM

qdwag
April 12th, 2020, 04:00
Same thing here. At default, FGU takes up 50% of my CPU constantly. Once I load an image, any image, it goes to 100% and stays there until I close the image.

Arthellion
April 18th, 2020, 04:22
Not myself, but one of my players has very high CPU usage on a mac. Like over 200%.

Thanks for all your hard work on these things. Looking forward to when FGU is optimized. It's already great :)

qdwag
April 18th, 2020, 04:25
Same here. Looking forward to that cpu optimisation for Mac.

Ludi
May 2nd, 2020, 17:20
First game as a GM tonight. I run a fairly modern and well-specced iMac. FGU takes up to 750% CPU, so it basically maxes out all my cores and runs about 65 threads, constantly (even when I am idle). The fans are running constantly. Annoying.

qdwag
May 2nd, 2020, 17:22
Yeah man. That is FGU for you. I’ve given up on it and went to FGC. It is perfect and if you’re really running serious games and don’t want issues, just use FGC.

Ludi
May 2nd, 2020, 17:36
I just restarted, now I am back to 25% CPU. Apparently it clogs up over time, or when something happens. Will try to keep an eye on it when it starts.

FGC is not an option; I was close to chosing Roll20 because it had the LOS features that were really nice. So, when FGU came along, this tipped me over to go to FG, according to many recommendations. Regretting it a bit, currently, it has really bad UX and nowhere the degree of automation that everybody told me it had, and the learning curve is insane (also not helped by the very unintuitive and raw UX). One of my player is a UX professional and he really, really would love to change stuff around. Like, rework it from the ground up.

qdwag
May 2nd, 2020, 17:38
Why is FGC not an option? I’m on a Mac, and got hold of Parallels to run FGC via windows 10.

FGU starts chewing up the CPU like crazy as soon as you:
- Open images
- Play with the LOS features

Ludi
May 2nd, 2020, 17:44
Because we were eager for the LOS feature. My group is familiar with the Roll20 feeling and likes it a lot.
I am quite confident that they will fix it in the end. There is nothing there that needs a lot of CPU. Must be a runaway Unity thread or something.

qdwag
May 2nd, 2020, 17:46
Ah the LOS features. Fair enough. Yeah it can come in useful, but currently there’s so much of a sacrifice with FGU, that to me I can’t use it. I’d rather wait till it’s out of beta. At that time I might just buy the license when I know it’s solid.

Ludi
May 2nd, 2020, 17:48
I blame SARS-COV-2; otherwise we'd sit together, use pen and paper, and drink beer. But yeah, probably good idea to wait until it's done.

qdwag
May 2nd, 2020, 17:50
Yeah. It should be pretty cool when it’s ready I reckon.

PeterSmithson
January 21st, 2021, 13:39
@thefile, I want to make sure I understand the issue. So right now FGU is not crashing? It is just taking a long time to launch (unless you minimize, which is interesting). That would indicate to mean that FGU is usable, just slow.

If that is the case, it's pretty much known, no performance optimization is yet being done. Stability is the focus at the moment. But, to help identify this, have you added any graphic assets (maps, tokens, etc) to FGU yet? Do you have many of the token packs from the FG Store?

Hi,

Just came back to this thread after trying FG on the new 12 core company laptop. CPU usage at 35% (across all cores) on that page where you join an existing campaign. So it's just showing a menu. I can't imagine what optimisation needs to be done on a static menu so I think there's a more fundamental problem somewhere - I guess in a graphics library or something?

Even the login page was eating up CPU before that. So no need for any complicated setup or anything, this was a clean install, never actually started running a game.

I have the same problem with my older personal laptop but the ancient (10 year old) Desktop works fine - negligible CPU usage.

I hope that helps.

Thanks.

Peter.

Jiminimonka
January 21st, 2021, 13:43
Hi,

Just came back to this thread after trying FG on the new 12 core company laptop. CPU usage at 35% (across all cores) on that page where you join an existing campaign. So it's just showing a menu. I can't imagine what optimisation needs to be done on a static menu so I think there's a more fundamental problem somewhere - I guess in a graphics library or something?

Even the login page was eating up CPU before that. So no need for any complicated setup or anything, this was a clean install, never actually started running a game.

I have the same problem with my older personal laptop but the ancient (10 year old) Desktop works fine - negligible CPU usage.

I hope that helps.

Thanks.

Peter.

I have an 8 core and its at about 2% on the launch page, and never goes up over 40%. When I am building the latest version of OBS Studio it goes up to about 75%. But I don't have a laptop.

PeterSmithson
January 23rd, 2021, 16:05
Just one tinsy little detail to add to my information about how to reproduce the problem - I was using VirtualBox to run a Windows 10 guest under Windows 10 host (didn't want to put a game on my work laptop).

Interestingly - when I start up the Virtual machine on my desktop (which normally uses around 2% CPU on the start-up menu), now suddenly the fans are kicking in and CPU is getting to 100%. So this problem can most probably be reproduced using Windows 10 under Virtual Box - no need to use a laptop. (which is the only way I've seen it before)