PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer ruleset

DarkStar
November 29th, 2006, 22:31
Hi!

I've been working for some (suprisingly, not long!) time now on a ruleset for the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. Unfortunately, the sheet is in Polish, so I doubt you'd have any use of it, but I just wanted to show how it looks like and maybe get some feedback like "it sucks". There's some blood on the combat page, it's because my friend who drew the graphics is... um... insane a bit. :D And he placed that flesh phantom, because he said "he would rather die than use that famous Da Vinci sketch everyone is using".

So, here we go:

https://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2417/screenshot0009gi0.th.png (https://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0009gi0.png)
Bio

https://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2230/screenshot0013mg2.th.png (https://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0013mg2.png)
Combat & PC Characteristics

https://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2721/screenshot0011bj5.th.png (https://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0011bj5.png)
Skills

https://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8462/screenshot0012cr0.th.png (https://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0012cr0.png)
Talents

https://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5304/screenshot0014jm5.th.png (https://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0014jm5.png)
Inventory & money

FryCook
December 11th, 2006, 22:51
i'm really surprised there haven't been more replies.

darkstar, from what little polish i know (which is absolutely none), these look excellent and very usable. of course the characteristics and combat page steals the show. the color coding and look of these sheets is really well done and very professional looking.

i've made a custom sheet for the real pen and paper version, and i can tell you i made a ton of changes from the original. so the few suggestions i have are based off of that (and the fact that i can't speak polish to see if this already exists on your sheet).

my players always thought the advancement section of the characteristics was really confusing, so i actually shifted that to another page, called the advancement worksheet, which shows how many advances are left in the current career, what feats affect the starting (rolled) characteristic, etc. only the current profile shows up on the main page. how do you handle showing what advancements have been taken?

also, unless you are going to kill off the characters very quickly (i know, it IS warhammer so that is highly likely) i felt like listing all the skills (basic and advanced) in the checklist was the way to go. i can't tell on your skill sheet if it shows the associated characteristic and current skill value, but that might be some helpful info.

overall, this looks very nice. keep up the good work.

DarkStar
December 12th, 2006, 14:20
i'm really surprised there haven't been more replies.

Yeah, me too. Yours is the first and only one. ;) Perhaps it's because there are mostly D&D fans here or the subject was wrong - they may have thought that I'm looking for a WFRP ruleset (like many people here), whereas I wanted to present something. :-)

how do you handle showing what advancements have been taken?

I don't, at the moment. :( What I planned to do is to make the advancement scheme font smaller and place some checkboxes (white/black squares) around each of the values. But we may also use the advancement scheme in a way where you type in only the advancements you already bought, not the possible ones. The sheet has some flaws, I let the other guy have a carte blanche with the graphics and then when I started coding some minor problems surfaced, like too little space for skills/talents (high letters, such as g, j, y get cropped at the bottom), no movement speed, I believe there is no place to enter experience points, etc. This is just the first version, really and we are going to gather feedback from players and improve the character sheet. We really needed something to start playing, because before I had to print a charsheet for every PC (that makes four) and maintain them, while the players had to have their own sheets. This is error-prone, in my opinion, and a hassle.

i can't tell on your skill sheet if it shows the associated characteristic and current skill value, but that might be some helpful info.

Yeah, it does. I haven't filled in every field in the example, but if you look at the skills page (the green one), there are a few fields, namely: skill name, associated characteristic, skill level (none if all checkboxes are white, 1st checkbox for a learnt skill, 2nd checkbox for +10, 3rd checkbox for +20) and finally related talents. It's exactly the same as with BI's original character sheet (the one that comes with the rulebook).

overall, this looks very nice. keep up the good work.

Thank you very much. I thought that if there was enough interest, I could work on an English language version for FG 2.0, but it looks like if it isn't D&D, it doesn't matter. ;P

Oberoten
December 12th, 2006, 18:18
I'd make a windowlist out of the advancements, that way you can add multiple ones as long as the char survives.

Oh? And dare we hope this is for first edition? I am rather fond of that one and .. less so of second.

richvalle
December 12th, 2006, 18:51
Geeze Oberoten, is there anything you havn't played? :)

rv

DarkStar
December 12th, 2006, 18:52
Oh? And dare we hope this is for first edition? I am rather fond of that one and .. less so of second.
Um, nope. ;) We play the second edition (un)fortunately.

FryCook
December 12th, 2006, 19:53
...but it looks like if it isn't D&D, it doesn't matter. ;P

that's not entirely true. :) have you joined azureawfrp? it's a yahoo group devoted entirely to FG WFRP:

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/azureawfrp/

DarkStar
December 12th, 2006, 21:31
that's not entirely true. :) have you joined azureawfrp? it's a yahoo group devoted entirely to FG WFRP

No... I'm using the competitive product - Google Groups - for the campaign I'm running, and I'm also roaming the official Black Industries forum (under the very original nickname of GameMaster, DarkStar was already taken).

Heh, I contacted Games Workshop some time ago and asked them on their opinion about creating a free Fantasy Grounds ruleset (at least the character sheet) and publishing it on Internet, but I didn't get any replies. :(

Oberoten
December 12th, 2006, 22:07
Geeze Oberoten, is there anything you havn't played? :)

rv

Hmmmm.... Lets see... I GM some 30+ different systems, play about double that... Yeah, I guess I have missed most of RIFTS and the other Palladium stuff.

Might be a good time to remedy that. ;)

richvalle
December 13th, 2006, 00:12
What about that game system that is said to be so bad it taints the other game books just by being on the same shelf as them?

Dare I say it... (whispers...) synabarr! Flying bears with lazers shooting out their eyes!!!!

Oberoten
December 13th, 2006, 07:03
What about that game system that is said to be so bad it taints the other game books just by being on the same shelf as them?

Dare I say it... (whispers...) synabarr! Flying bears with lazers shooting out their eyes!!!!

Played it once on a Con.... What ca I say? I had NO life as a kid and I have been a roleplayer since age seven when an older friend introduced me to the hobby since his other older friends he used to game with were gone.

DarkStar
December 13th, 2006, 13:53
Since we already strolled away from the original topic... It's something that concerns me. How many system would one be capable of running as a Game Master? And I'm not talking about d20, but games where each of them has different mechanics. Are we capable of remembering all the rules and not mixing everything in our heads? Surely, there must be a limit somewhere.

Oberoten
December 13th, 2006, 14:43
I think that'd depend on how rules heavy systems one runs...

But of the top of my head, I know I can get ArsMagica (Wild-Die+Stat+Skill vs Diff) running almost anytime and anywhere, Gurps (3d6 <= Skill ) , Drakar och Demoner (1d20 <= Skill), StarWars (D6*Skill > Diff), Mutant (3 different incarnations, all 1d00 base), Warhammer (D100), Neotech (Openeded D6 <= Skill), Marvelsuperheroes (1d00... Okay I admitt I prefer having the sucess tables before me when runing this one), Fuzion (Good Free system, 2d6+Stat+Skill vs Diff)

Haven't noticed too much seep-over on any of these...
Now when systems become too generic or the world is not uniquie enough I might start floundering a bit and things can get mixed up.

With the books available... *grins* Well, I am curious and I have run anything in between Nobilis and Toon with a short detour to DC superheroes as well Recon (Vietnam war) and a long well loved stay at Paranoia...

So far, I think that it has been mostly beneficial, each game lifts up another aspect of playing and GMing and will widen ones style. Also, it does tend to make it a LOT easier to come up with a workable SOMETHING when players wants to try something unprecedented. :)

Griogre
December 17th, 2006, 07:19
Since we already strolled away from the original topic... It's something that concerns me. How many system would one be capable of running as a Game Master? And I'm not talking about d20, but games where each of them has different mechanics. Are we capable of remembering all the rules and not mixing everything in our heads? Surely, there must be a limit somewhere.
Naturally as mentioned, system complexity matters but when I use to run a lot of different systems campaigns at once, I found running more than three relatively complex ones at the same time caused me to not run the systems as well as I expected from myself.

Now, I don't have the time really to run more than maybe two. :(

tdwyer11b
December 17th, 2006, 07:32
Hmmmm.... Lets see... I GM some 30+ different systems, play about double that... Yeah, I guess I have missed most of RIFTS and the other Palladium stuff.

Might be a good time to remedy that. ;)

RIFTS=Good!!:D Honestly, though, the prospect of creating a ruleset scares me, don't get me wrong I love the system just the shear amounts of info and rules...it hurts my head. I'm still trying to get used to the changes mad in the new Ultimate Edition.

Oberoten
December 17th, 2006, 08:25
RIFTS=Good!!:D Honestly, though, the prospect of creating a ruleset scares me, don't get me wrong I love the system just the shear amounts of info and rules...it hurts my head. I'm still trying to get used to the changes mad in the new Ultimate Edition.

I'd settle for a charsheet to start with and a GM that has run it before. I tend to be rather quick on picking up new systems nowadays, possibly by having so many 'labnotes' on similarities. :)

tdwyer11b
December 17th, 2006, 08:50
Well the good thing is, once you've played one of Palladiums games, you can pretty much jump into any of the others with minimal difficulty. The mechanics are all the same, % for skills and combat is way easy. Soon, you to can have a 2 ton stack of Rifts world books, lol.