PDA

View Full Version : Percentile dice tuleset questions

Maspalio
January 13th, 2020, 22:40
Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to build a ruleset from scratch, layering over the CoreRPG ruleset. I read the developpers section on the wiki, and the great thread of Trenloe explaining how actions works. Thus, i'm still having trouble figuring how i can translate what i want in lua code. So, after running in circles for days, i decided to beg for some help here.

This ruleset is for an outdated french game, released in 1991, and called Bloodlust, a Conan-like RPG that i intend to re-run with some friends. The system is based mostly on a percentile dice, so i could obviously go with the Core RPG alone. But, there are some subtilties that i'd rather integrate in a separate ruleset or extension. I guess i have to create some actions files, for check, damage, healing, but i am not sure how to proceed.

This game is somewhat similar to Chtulhu's Chaosium : you got a skill expressed as a percentile score. So, you roll a percentile dice and have to go under that score. Modifiers from external conditions (blind, dazed, night, mounted, and so on) adds or substracts from the skill score as a target for the roll. i.e. -25%, -10%, +10%, +25%, +50%.

Big question, a dice roll of 100 in that game is always a failure, no matter how high your skill is. Even a roll of 100+35% is a failure. As far as i know, 00 is treated like a 10 by Fantasy Grounds engine so is it possible to claim that 100 is a botch to FG.

Second big question, that game uses unit dice a lot. For example, your to-hit roll is 67. Then you do not roll for damage, but have to keep the 7 from the unit dice. This is your base damage score on that hit. Can a handler store the dice unit value from the to-hit roll for a subsequent use at the damage step ?

Third big question, this game says a 0 is always a critical sucess if under the skil score. For example, rolls of 10, 20 or 30 on a 40% stealth check are critical successes. Once again, as a 30 + 0 is equivalent to 40 in the FG engine and not a 30 as read by many players, how can i script this the way it is intended to be by the rules ?

Fourth question, similar to second question. The location step of a strike use the to-hit roll reversed to determine where the hit blows. For example, a to-hit roll of 67 hits the target in the "76" range location. Can the hit-roll be stored and reversed, and then compared to a static table for determining where you hit blows? i.e. 01-10 is the head, 20-35 is torso, etc.

Many thanks if some of you can put my foot in the stirrup on this project, and help me to code this.

damned
January 13th, 2020, 23:52
Hi Maspalio

a 30+10 (not 0 there is no 0) is 40 and not 30
20+10 is 30
10+10 is 20
00+10 is 10
All your values are there still

You could write a MoreCore roll that does all of that.
You would compare the dice result to each of your things in order

Check first against crits,
Then check if under or over
Then if under check if 2nd dice is 10
Then send the 2nd dice value to the modifier stack

Then do your separate damage roll and pick up the modifier stack

Maspalio
January 17th, 2020, 12:50
Hi Damned,

Thanks for your advices.

Here's another question, if you don't mind :

Check first against crits,

I built the roll on the 3.5 action_ability.lua file at this point, using Trenloe walktrough.

Do i have to check for crits in the onRoll function part of the file? After the modRoll function?

Many thanks

damned
January 17th, 2020, 15:20
Hi Damned,

Thanks for your advices.

Here's another question, if you don't mind :

I built the roll on the 3.5 action_ability.lua file at this point, using Trenloe walktrough.

Do i have to check for crits in the onRoll function part of the file? After the modRoll function?

Many thanks

Hi mate - sorry my suggestions were based on how I would do it in MoreCore....

Trenloe
January 17th, 2020, 15:36
Do i have to check for crits in the onRoll function part of the file?
The onRoll function (the result handler) is the earliest you get access to the result of the dice roll.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35531-Fantasy-Grounds-v3-X-CoreRPG-based-Actions-(dice-rolling)&p=307397&viewfull=1#post307397

deer_buster
January 17th, 2020, 19:35
Don't forget that Unity handles percentile differently...there is a 0-9 and 00-90, so 00-0 is 100 and 30-0 is 30 (just like real dice)

Maspalio
January 17th, 2020, 21:23
Oh, i didn't know that... So should i create two different folders of the main ruleset?

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2020, 21:57
Unity doesn't store it's data in the same place as Classic does. Rulesets are still in the rulesets folder in Unity; just in a different location.

damned
January 18th, 2020, 00:11
Both implementations of the dice are real dice. The 0-9 version quickly became the most popular but in the early days both were pretty common.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2020, 00:22
Both implementations of the dice are real dice. The 0-9 version quickly became the most popular but in the early days both were pretty common.
Yup.

Even as "recent" as 2008 there were a quarter of people preferring a 1-10 units die: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-d100-percentile-die-convention

Varsuuk
January 18th, 2020, 00:41
Don't forget that Unity handles percentile differently...there is a 0-9 and 00-90, so 00-0 is 100 and 30-0 is 30 (just like real dice)

Please, do not insult my trusty dice. The earliest of my percentiles (i.e. a single d10 I rolled twice ;P) date from around 84 when I believe those oddball 0-9/00-90 dice had already shown up - but I have a partial set and d20 from probably '79-'80.

All my dice are REAL!
:)

Varsuuk
January 18th, 2020, 00:46
Yup.

Even as "recent" as 2008 there were a quarter of people preferring a 1-10 units die: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-d100-percentile-die-convention

As the gods intended! ... 0 0 = 100. 1 0 = 10. 0 1 = 1.
(Well, perhaps using 0s and 1s exclusively was a confusing thing for us devs... 0, 2, 1.)

( :) )

deer_buster
January 18th, 2020, 04:24
Please, do not insult my trusty dice. The earliest of my percentiles (i.e. a single d10 I rolled twice ;P) date from around 84 when I believe those oddball 0-9/00-90 dice had already shown up - but I have a partial set and d20 from probably '79-'80.

All my dice are REAL!
:)

Mine were 2 different colored d10, but those weren't "percentile". I don't recall at any time seeing 1-10 and 00-90 as percentile dice. The only dice I ever saw a 10 on were the 00-90, d12 and d20 (and the oddball dice like d30 or what-have-you). Places to buy dice back then were few and very far between.

Varsuuk
January 18th, 2020, 07:00
Mine were 2 different colored d10, but those weren't "percentile". I don't recall at any time seeing 1-10 and 00-90 as percentile dice. The only dice I ever saw a 10 on were the 00-90, d12 and d20 (and the oddball dice like d30 or what-have-you). Places to buy dice back then were few and very far between.

My prior comments were just me goofing around. ;). But since you said your two different colored d10 (YOU had TWO d10? Back in MY day, you had ONE d10 and you were GRATEFUL!... sorry, I'm old and must say things like that contractually...) were not "percentile."

I wanted to point out that you are "right", judging by what I understand the term is expected to apply to nowadays. However, I wanted to point out that when I was playing AD&D and one was told to roll "percentile dice" - the only expected course of action was to pick up a D10 (labelled 0-9) and roll it twice or pick up two different colored d10 and roll once.

So d10s WERE both "percentile" dice and ten-sided dice based on how you used em ;)

deer_buster
January 18th, 2020, 19:20
Of course I had 2 d10...I had 2 different sets of dice...One that came with D&D Basic edition box and one that came with D&D Expert edition box. Those were the only dice I had for several years, even into AD&D, MERP, RoleMaster, and SpaceMaster years. Now I buy cool sets of dice whenever I feel like I don't have enough dice (which is always!!!).