PDA

View Full Version : Question on weapons & atk bonus+ transfer to Adv. League Char Sheet

RPGIsAboutLife
January 12th, 2020, 12:59
Hi I-hate-real-life-and-I-love-RPG-gamers,

Am I reasoning right in the following example:

A level 5 bard, dexterity 16, has a light crossbow equipped (1d8, piercing, 80/320 range). As a bard, she is proficient in hand crossbows, and, as a light crossbow is a hand crossbow, she is proficient in using it. Her proficiency bonus is +3 as it's a level 5 bard.

So, when using this light crossbow in a ranged attack, her attack rolls - and only her attack rolls - get +6 (!), as she gets +3 from her proficiency and +3 from her dexterity modifier. So d20 + DEX + proficiency equals the value that has to be compared to the enemy's AC. Personal remark: +6 is huge, but that's the way it is...

If it hits, the damage is just 1d8 according to me.

But, if I create the xml-file via Fantasy Grounds, and, I export this xml-file to print this sheet in pdf via https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx , the "damage/type" is showing 1d8 (damage) + 3 piercing. And... I don't get this "+ 3 piercing".

Can someone help me out please?

Thank you!

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2020, 14:42
Hi RPGIsAboutLife, welcome to FG

I don't know anything about Adventure League rules, but yes a Bard under normal rules has proficiency in Simple weapons and a Light Crossbow is a simple weapon. They are specifically proficient in Hand Crossbows which is a martial weapon and so normally they would not be proficient in that. (A Light Crossbow is not the same as a hand crossbow).

So, with a light crossbow your level 5 Bard with DEX of 16, has + 6 to hit and +3 damage bonus. So you total damage is 1d8+3. You get your DEX bonus to damage since this is a ranged weapon (rather than strength bonus if it were a melee weapon).

LordEntrails
January 12th, 2020, 15:27
+6 for 1d8+3 piercing is correct for your bard. AL rules for 99% of everything is the same, the only differences are things like the use of a few magic items, and how you have to record adventures and results etc.

Are you just surprised about the +6 to hit?

JohnD
January 12th, 2020, 19:28
In 5e everyone gets bonuses for everything; you just need to get used to it.

RPGIsAboutLife
January 12th, 2020, 19:47
First of all: thank you for your prompt response.

I don't know anything about Adventure League rules => %e neither, but I just used that website, linked to AL, to convert the FD XML to PDF.

but yes a Bard under normal rules has proficiency in Simple weapons and a Light Crossbow is a simple weapon. => OK.

They are specifically proficient in Hand Crossbows which is a martial weapon and so normally they would not be proficient in that. (A Light Crossbow is not the same as a hand crossbow). => I stand corrected: a light crossbow isn't the same as a hand crossbow, I just looked it up, thank you.

So, with a light crossbow your level 5 Bard with DEX of 16, has + 6 to hit and +3 damage bonus. So you total damage is 1d8+3. You get your DEX bonus to damage since this is a ranged weapon (rather than strength bonus if it were a melee weapon). => OK, I get it.

Summary:

ATTACK ROLL: 1d20 + ability modifier + if related weapon proficiency, your proficiency bonus

and WHEN IT'S A HIT

DAMAGE equals the weapon damage dice + the ability modifier used for the attack roll.

RPGIsAboutLife
January 12th, 2020, 19:48
"Are you just surprised about the +6 to hit?" => In my humble opinion, a D&D character upgrades/evolves quite fast when compared to Call of Cthulhu characters... :)

Bonkon
January 12th, 2020, 21:27
"Are you just surprised about the +6 to hit?" => In my humble opinion, a D&D character upgrades/evolves quite fast when compared to Call of Cthulhu characters... :)

Good Day RPGIsAboutLife :)
I agree that 5E is like that, but there is now a 2E version you can buy that is a much slower pace for bonuses. I cannot wait to finish the campaign I am DMing to run an Older School version. :)

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2020, 22:13

I agree that 5E is like that, but there is now a 2E version you can buy that is a much slower pace for bonuses. I cannot wait to finish the campaign I am DMing to run an Older School version. :)

Each system has it's own balance. Just because one system progress at a certain pace doesn't make it better or worse than any other system. 5e uses the bounded accuracy method which the other versions of D&D don't an neither does CoC. It all depends on the system. A +1 in 5e might not mean a great deal but it could make a huge difference in another system and vice versa.

RPGIsAboutLife
January 13th, 2020, 07:35

Where to be found?

RPGIsAboutLife
January 13th, 2020, 07:35
@Zaccheus: A comparison with other RPG-mechanisms is worth another topic - and will undoubtedly already exist!

Zacchaeus
January 13th, 2020, 10:45
Where to be found?

The AD&D ruleset comes with your license; DLC in the store https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=27&pub=-1&typ=-1&search=&sort=1

RPGIsAboutLife
January 13th, 2020, 10:50
Thank you!

RPGIsAboutLife
January 13th, 2020, 18:26
Thank you all for your instantaneous responses. --- This topic can be closed (if possible).