PDA

View Full Version : LFP Sundays 6PM CST USA 5E Rappan Athuk (Paid Game)

bwatford
January 10th, 2020, 23:15
https://www.kingdomofmorrain.com/RA/logo2.jpg

Prologue

Rappan Athuk, a dungeon of legend.
Rappan Athuk, a stronghold of evil.
Rappan Athuk, Dungeon of Graves.

The Legend of Rappan Athuk is well known, told numerous times by bards, adventurers, sages, and loremasters. It is summarized below. The characters may know some or all of this legend.

Many hundreds of years ago, the forces of good allied to destroy the main Temple of Orcus in the ancient city of Tsar. With their temple in ruins, the surviving high priests of this accursed demon-god fled the city with an army of enemies on their trail — an army of heroic fighters, clerics and paladins — led by Zelkor, a powerful wizard. The exact fate of these evil priests is unknown, for not only did the remnants of the followers of Orcus disappear from all human reckoning, but so did the army of light that followed after them disappear as well. Some said that in the eternal scales the loss of so many good men was a fair price to pay to rid the world of so much evil.

The evil cult, however, had not been destroyed. The surviving priests and their followers instead settled on a hill near the Forest of Hope, a sylvan woodland near the Coast Road. There they found a vast underground complex of caverns and mazes, carving out a volcanic intrusion beneath the hill. The priests of Orcus had found the perfect lair to continue their vile rituals. For many years, they carried on in secret, hidden from the light and from the knowledge of men.

Many years later, their underground delving completed, the evil priests erected a hideous mausoleum and graveyard atop the hill. It is believed that these graves are the final resting place of the pursuing army of heroes that had been destroyed to a man. Soon after the mausoleum was erected the peaceful creatures of the wood began to disappear. Though many rangers and druids investigated these happenings, the cause of the creatures’ disappearance was not immediately determined. Some years later a powerful group of adventurers, led by Bofred, a high priest of Thyr, investigated the evil happenings and found the sunken graveyard leading to a labyrinthine complex. Bofred and his companions found great hordes of evil creatures in the complex. Though some of his companions returned from their expedition, telling tales of fantastic treasure and ferocious monsters, Bofred was never seen again — lost in the catacombs beneath the cursed mausoleum.

For the last century and more, ranks of adventurers have ventured to the newfound dungeon. Many fell prey to bandits and monsters in the surrounding wilderness. Rumors suggest that of those who survived to reach the mausoleum and sunken graveyard, most were slain by guardians of green stone or perished near the entrance. Those rare few who return from deeper treks speak of horrible undead and creatures that cannot be slain. All who have explored Rappan Athuk offer this one universal piece of advice: “Don’t go down the Well.”

Introduction (The Basics)

FG License Type: Ultimate
Game System: D&D 5th Edition

Time Zone: Central Time USA
Day of week and time: Every other Sunday from 6pm - 10pm CST
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4 Hour session, complete 1-20 campaign
Term: Paid, $10 per player, per session (via PayPal or Credit card), your first session is free.

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: 25/75 (Combat Heavy, Dungeon Crawl, Exploration)
Number of Players needed: 4
Starting Level: 3rd

In play, many characters will die over the course of this game.
Welcome to Rappun Athuk.

Mechanically, this will be standard point-buy with 27 points.

This game uses my extensive house rules that add an extra layer of play as well as changes and/or tweaks some of the 5e core rules for play. Please review them prior to making a character. You can get them using the link below.

DOWNLOAD HOUSE RULES PDF (https://www.kingdomofmorrain.com/House_Rules_2020.pdf)

Considerably more effort should be on the personality, flavor and behavior of the character than on the mechanics themselves.

Applications to the Game

Available Books: All WotC Hardcovers (PHB, Sword Coast, Volo's, etc.). NO Flying Races (See house rules PDF for more information about the PHB +1 rule.

Options out side this are covered in the house rules PDF available above.

Alignment Requirement: No Evil

Starting Equipment: Standard from class/background + 200 gp each.

Ability Scores: Ability scores can be generated using the 27 point buy as featured in the PHB.

Hit Points: Maximum at 1st level, average each additional level.

Final Notes

- Expect your actions to have consequences. Don't be stupid. Play smart. If I give you lots of hints that opening the box will unleash fiery death. Don't open the box and expect to live.

- I'm a story teller, the rule of cool applies. If it's cool, cinematic and epic, screw the rules- I'll probably allow it. If this grates against your rules lawyer soul...we are not meant to play together.

GM Info: Hi there! It's Billy Watford. I’ve been GMing (DMing, Storytelling, what have you) for these last 30+ years, and gaming a touch longer. I’ve run what feels like hundreds of adventures via Paizo, WotC, TSR over the years and have currently many games running both in person, on Fantasy Grounds and ten campaigns running pbp on Myth-Weavers. Yes I pretty much do this full time.

My GMing style focuses more on what makes a good story, and less on things like exploiting the loopholes in rules to their fullest. I like characters that are cards to begin with, but I LOVE characters that develop over the course of a game. Don’t make me deal with two-dimensional characters that have one annoying trait they exploit over and over, and I won’t have to make a tarrasque show up. Deal? Deal.

Interested?
Send me a PM and we can discuss getting you a seat at the table. Have questions? Then post them below and I will be glad to answer them.

rgk13
January 11th, 2020, 16:41
Hi All,
I've been playing with Bob as my DM for quite some time now and I'm part of the Rappan Athuk game. We have had a lot of fun but lost a couple people after christmass. If your looking for a chalanging dongeon crawl we are at the start of mouth of doom and 3rd level so plainty of story to happen and tresure to be discovered. Vondur (evil alignment) and Ulthar (paladin) have a history of love hate going on and we can keep building the RP in this campaing easely. We love the working as a team approach and would love to keep the game going! Bob is a very good and fair DM so I invite all that feel up for the chalenge to join in our adventure...

thc1967
January 11th, 2020, 23:56
I've been a member of the group for a few months.

Billy is a fantastic DM. He knows his stuff and he keeps the game moving along. RA is an intriguing dungeon-crawl. Tons of fun, especially if you're looking to blow off a bit of steam.

I was, at first, a bit leery of a paid game. Billy's capability put my concerns to rest quickly. He and this game are well worth it.

If you're into 5e, might enjoy a dungeon-crawl with a bit of intrigue on the side, and have Sunday evenings free, you need to come give this a shot!

LNate93
January 16th, 2020, 22:23
I feel like I'm a super noob, but would you still let me join for my first campaign using FG?

rgk13
January 16th, 2020, 22:29
I dont have a problem with being a noob! When you are paying 10$ per game you are a client first and the DM acts as he is providing a service so I leaned a lot with Billy as a DM and I personnaly dont have a problem with a new player trying to learn the game. Welcome if your interested.

bwatford
January 17th, 2020, 00:22
I feel like I'm a super noob, but would you still let me join for my first campaign using FG?

Sure, I will send you a private message.

bwatford
January 28th, 2020, 18:04
Still got a couple spots open on this one.

jhathawaytn
January 31st, 2020, 21:03
May I ask will this PC start on 2/2 or 2/9 and how many session approximate? I really like your house rules.

thc1967
February 1st, 2020, 14:43
Probably starts 2/16. 2/2 there's something about a superb owl coming to town that's distracting some players. I mean, I dig owls, but d&d is better.

bwatford
February 1st, 2020, 15:51
@jhathawaytn thanks for the interest.

Our next session will more than likely be on 02/16/2020 since the Superbowl has some of the players tied up this Sunday. (We play every two weeks.)

As far as how many sessions, well, Rappan Athuk is a 1-20+ and they are at level 3 so I imagine it would probably be a two year campaign playing every other weekend.

Let me know if you are interested in joining.

Brightmane
February 2nd, 2020, 09:08
Hi Bwatford, still have space on this one? :)

bwatford
February 2nd, 2020, 16:38
Hi Bwatford, still have space on this one? :)

We do, sending a private message with details.

bwatford
February 3rd, 2020, 06:38
2 slots still open.