PDA

View Full Version : Issues installing and running Fantasy Grounds

MosBen
January 8th, 2020, 23:01
I submitted this issue to customer support, and they have had some recommendations, but asked that I also post to the forum, presumably because the community is active and may have a resolution, or at least other people might be having a similar issue. I have FG set up on my desktop PC for a remote game that I play biweekly, and after getting the initial issues worked out, it's working great. I have an Ultimate License, purchased through Steam. I also have a local game that I'm running, so I installed FG on my laptop, also through Steam. Unfortunately, when I tried to boot FG up this last weekend, I would click the "Play" button in Steam, it would show FG as "Running" for a few seconds, and then it would stop as if nothing had happened. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, but the problem persists. I tried the Windows download directly from the FG website, but that only gave me the updater and didn't actually launch anything. FG is granted access through my laptop's firewall, so it shouldn't be related to that. But to be clear, it's failing to even load the program, so it shouldn't really be an issue with connectivity, and as this is for a local game, my understanding is that I shouldn't need to twiddle with port forwarding. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

damned
January 8th, 2020, 23:11
I submitted this issue to customer support, and they have had some recommendations, but asked that I also post to the forum, presumably because the community is active and may have a resolution, or at least other people might be having a similar issue. I have FG set up on my desktop PC for a remote game that I play biweekly, and after getting the initial issues worked out, it's working great. I have an Ultimate License, purchased through Steam. I also have a local game that I'm running, so I installed FG on my laptop, also through Steam. Unfortunately, when I tried to boot FG up this last weekend, I would click the "Play" button in Steam, it would show FG as "Running" for a few seconds, and then it would stop as if nothing had happened. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, but the problem persists. I tried the Windows download directly from the FG website, but that only gave me the updater and didn't actually launch anything. FG is granted access through my laptop's firewall, so it shouldn't be related to that. But to be clear, it's failing to even load the program, so it shouldn't really be an issue with connectivity, and as this is for a local game, my understanding is that I shouldn't need to twiddle with port forwarding. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Check your AV program and whitelist all three FG exe files.

Trenloe
January 8th, 2020, 23:31
I've moved this post from the PFRPG2 ruleset issues thread to it's own thread in the House of Healing (Customer Support) forum as this is a generic issue and nothing specific to the PFRPG2 ruleset.

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2020, 23:37
Running on Window, Mac or Linux?

On Windows I would watch your Process Manager to see if/what FG processes start. But as Damned says the first step would be to check A/V issues.

NuclearMonkey
January 9th, 2020, 01:07
I've had similar problems with other games on steam. Try quitting steam and then terminating the steam bootstrapper with task manager. Also, terminate Fantasy Grounds if it is running. Then, restart and see if it will load.