PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding on a Mac

Bonny Bella
January 8th, 2020, 03:47
Hello I have an ATT router and I am trying to open up a port.

According to the directions on my router screen I need a port between 5000-65000. From your directions it appears I must choose port 1802 which is less than the port numbers I am allowed. Are there any other port numbers I can choose that fall within the boundaries of my router and if not how to I resolve this situation?

Thank you

LordEntrails
January 8th, 2020, 03:54
AT&T have recently done things (like this) that make using FG more challenging. You can run FG using any port, but then every player has to do the same thing. Rather than do that, the prevailing advice is to use a VPN solution like Hamachi. This thread will give you instruction for using Hamachi (on Windows); https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

But, since you are running on a Mac and you will be running FG inside a virtual machine (Wine) you might have additional challenges.

damned
January 8th, 2020, 05:49
Hello Bonny Bella

You may indeed find using Hamchi or similar an easier solution...

However in saying that - you should try to port forward TCP65000 to your computers IP address and TCP1802

Then your players will need to make a copy of their FG shortcut.
Rename the shortcut to FG BB 65000
Then adjust the properties -> target to look like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p65000

They will need to use this shortcut to launch their FG when connecting to you.

Bonny Bella
January 8th, 2020, 12:26
Hello Bonny Bella

However in saying that - you should try to port forward TCP65000 to your computers IP address and TCP1802

Then your players will need to make a copy of their FG shortcut.
Rename the shortcut to FG BB 65000
Then adjust the properties -> target to look like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p65000

They will need to use this shortcut to launch their FG when connecting to you.

Thank you for your quick response but unfortunately I am not sure I understand your directions.

I think you are suggesting that I go into ATT's router by typing the address into my browser ie: 333.333.1.333
Login with my password and create a port forward 65000

But the rest of your instructions are beyond my current skills to understand.
Could you be a bit more specific on how to do the "to your computers IP address and TCP1802"

Then you reference the '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p65000'
To give you an idea of my skill set. I had to query the internet to find my C drive on a Mac. I discovered that my drive is not named C (which is why I could not find it) nor could I find my Program files folder. I can find Fantasy grounds folder though. But I am not sure what these directions are telling me to do.

I appreciate any more help in connecting my players to a game. I am afraid I am overwhelmed.

damned
January 8th, 2020, 12:37
What is your model router?

As you are on a Mac I didnt suggest that you change your port number - we are going to let the router do that - but your players will need to do this step.
If your players have Macs Im not sure how that will work and you might want to look at the Hamachi option.

Bonny Bella
January 8th, 2020, 12:48
What is your model router?

As you are on a Mac I didnt suggest that you change your port number - we are going to let the router do that - but your players will need to do this step.
If your players have Macs Im not sure how that will work and you might want to look at the Hamachi option.

Okay, just to make sure that I am following you. My router is a box that my internet provider gave me so that I might have access to the internet.
The number on the box which I believe to be the Model number is:
BGW210-700
10/29/2018

I believe my players are a combination of Apple and PC

Bonny Bella
January 8th, 2020, 13:15
AT&T have recently done things (like this) that make using FG more challenging. You can run FG using any port, but then every player has to do the same thing. Rather than do that, the prevailing advice is to use a VPN solution like Hamachi. This thread will give you instruction for using Hamachi (on Windows); https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

But, since you are running on a Mac and you will be running FG inside a virtual machine (Wine) you might have additional challenges.

Okay I downloaded the Hamachi program. And I set up a network and a password.

Questions:

I don't understand how the Hamachi program and Fantasy Grounds interact with one another. Do I need to do something to link the two so that Fantasy Grounds knows to use Hamachi?

Do my players have to download both the Hamachi Program and the free Demo of FG?

damned
January 8th, 2020, 13:19
I was just typing out a much longer response full of less than hopeful feedback on AT&T and Port Forward and the additional challenge of doing it to a Mac app running on a WineSkin...

For Hamachi - you setup a Hamachi network and turn it On.
Your players also install Hamachi and they join your network.
If you have more than 4 players - create two networks and turn both On your mac - and get half the players to connect to one network and half to the other.

Now in the Hamachi app it will show your Hamachi IP address.
Have you players connect to that IP address as the server hostname.
Dont use the alias and dont run the connection test (it wont report success).

You can PM me the Hamachi details if you want me to test with you.

damned
January 8th, 2020, 21:44
Update on this.
Hamachi worked for Bonny when I tested with her.
No changes needed on Router.