PDA

View Full Version : Games without FG Modules

chimera225
January 6th, 2020, 03:22
Similar to the previous post I made, are there communities who run games in FG that don’t have their modules available? Are there people that work to make those modules for other games? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

notrealdan
January 6th, 2020, 03:34
If you mean games without pre-published adventure modules that are available as FG modules, then yeah, lots of people play this way. Basically any homebrew game is done this way. I've also bought several PDF-based adventure modules (from places like DriveThruRPG and the DMs Guild) and converted them myself into FG modules.

Even when using a pre-made FG module, I tend to modify it a lot.

notrealdan
January 6th, 2020, 03:36
As far as "communities" around this, I'm not sure what you mean. Many/most GMs here probably have done this to some extent, so this forum might count if I'm understanding correctly.

damned
January 6th, 2020, 04:25
Fantasy Grounds was the first VTT to get a license for 5E from the Wizards.
Before that 5E was already the most popular ruleset/system on Fantasy Grounds.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2020, 04:34
I play in a game of Star Frontiers. Their are no FG modules available for it because they are still protected Intellectual Property and so can't be distributed. I suspect most old games are going to fall into that realm. (i.e. they are played, but each GM has to convert what they need since distribution is generally illegal).

chimera225
January 6th, 2020, 17:14
Interesting. I guess I forget that licensing is an issue.

LordEntrails
January 6th, 2020, 20:36
Something like 75 years I think until they become public domain, even if they are out of print. Or something like that.

damned
January 6th, 2020, 22:17
Licensing Agreements can be very difficult.
If its for something like Star Wars d6 its not just the publisher but also the owner of the Star Wars property can become involved which would make it impossible.

Andraax
January 6th, 2020, 22:33
Something like 75 years I think until they become public domain, even if they are out of print. Or something like that.

95 years.

chimera225
January 6th, 2020, 23:38
95 years.

I'll just wait them out. lol

Ampersandrew
January 7th, 2020, 11:39
95 years.

Yes, you can thank Disney for the extension, it used to be 75 years. There was a 20 year hiatus of works entering the public domain because of the extension.

chimera225
January 7th, 2020, 11:41
Yes, you can thank Disney for the extension, it used to be 75 years. There was a 20 year hiatus of works entering the public domain because of the extension.

Yes, I remember hearing that.

Ctmega
January 7th, 2020, 14:37
I run a Dragon AGE game without a ruleset or published/licensed modules (I made my own) and leverage the MoreCore Ruleset and custom dice rolls that Damned created. Ultimately it comes down to a matter of your commitment to play your unsupported system or modules and willingness to create the content yourself.