PDA

View Full Version : ICRPG Ruleset

Saagael
January 6th, 2020, 03:09
EDIT: As of May 12th, 2020, the ruleset and module for CORE 2e are available on the Fantasy Grounds store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGICRPG). I'm sure there'll be an announcement at some point, but I couldn't help sneak this in here for folks that've been following this.

Jan 8th, 2020: Good news! The creator of Index Card RPG has greenlit me to work on an official Fantasy Grounds module for CORE 2e. It all still has to go through SmiteWorks' licensing process, but Hank and I are both on board to bring ICRPG to Fantasy Grounds.

Heya folks!

I've got a ruleset for Index Card RPG that I've been working on over the holiday break. It started out as an extension, but I decided to make it a standalone ruleset based on CoreRPG. It includes a few changes to the combat tracker, character sheets, and npcs, and adds archetypes, bioforms, spells, and tags. It also includes a full graphical overhaul in the ICRPG sharpie art style.

I haven't done extensive testing in a session yet, but I'll be fixing and updating it as I use it. if anyone else gets use out of it, I'd love to hear how it works for ya!

Edit:
Zipped up the correct folder so the ruleset pack works. Thanks damned!

damned
January 6th, 2020, 04:24
That looks great!
Any chance of a 5-10minute video on how you use/play the game?

Saagael
January 6th, 2020, 05:07
Yup, that's on the list of things to do within the next few days.

ImaTarget
January 6th, 2020, 09:00
This looks absolutely amazing. It seem you included a bunch of info from the rule books, did you get the all clear from Brandish Gilhelm for that? He is easy going but kind of strict in that regard in what I have seen. Maybe when you ask him this could actually be put in the store, looks so good.

damned
January 6th, 2020, 09:17
There is nothing in this ruleset that contains copyright material except the Rune Hammer logo.

[email protected] you have packed it up incorrectly - do not zip the parent folder. It currently wont load in its current PAK format.

3dartwork
January 6th, 2020, 21:09
I got the layout to work, and I was able to get import the character template. How do I get the rest of it to work though? There is nothing loaded in the Library/Modules. All of the categories (archetypes, tags, spells, etc.) are empty. Where do I get the actual FG version of ICRPG?

EDIT: I presume I need to manually input all written data from my hardcopies into the system?

Saagael
January 6th, 2020, 21:38
I got the layout to work, and I was able to get import the character template. How do I get the rest of it to work though? There is nothing loaded in the Library/Modules. All of the categories (archetypes, tags, spells, etc.) are empty. Where do I get the actual FG version of ICRPG?

EDIT: I presume I need to manually input all written data from my hardcopies into the system?

That is unfortunately the case right now. The actual content of ICRPG (the archetypes, bioforms, loot, tables, monsters, etc...) is all copywritten and so I can't distribute it directly without express permission from the creator. I've reached out to the game's author about ways to distribute modules for his books, but until he gives me an answer I can't give out his content.

This is highly speculative on my part, but I'm thinking the easiest way to get the content would be to keep an eye on the Runehammer Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/RUNEHAMMER/posts), as he might post something official there. Otherwise, I will post back when I have a definitive answer, one way or the other.

damned
January 6th, 2020, 22:08
That is unfortunately the case right now. The actual content of ICRPG (the archetypes, bioforms, loot, tables, monsters, etc...) is all copywritten and so I can't distribute it directly without express permission from the creator. I've reached out to the game's author about ways to distribute modules for his books, but until he gives me an answer I can't give out his content.

This is highly speculative on my part, but I'm thinking the easiest way to get the content would be to keep an eye on the Runehammer Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/RUNEHAMMER/posts), as he might post something official there. Otherwise, I will post back when I have a definitive answer, one way or the other.

Just a head up gtaray
You cant distribute FG modules for $$ thru any platform without an FG agreement.**
Free - yes.
Also should there be any interest in a licensing agreement it really needs to be organised by SmiteWorks.
Other than confirming some interest on the publishers side AND your ability to build out the product you should then handball it to SmiteWorks.

** The DMsGuild has an existing arrangement with SW and products can be offered there - but it is a 5E store only

Saagael
January 6th, 2020, 22:22
Just a head up gtaray
You cant distribute FG modules for $$ thru any platform without an FG agreement.**
Free - yes.
Also should there be any interest in a licensing agreement it really needs to be organised by SmiteWorks.
Other than confirming some interest on the publishers side AND your ability to build out the product you should then handball it to SmiteWorks.

** The DMsGuild has an existing arrangement with SW and products can be offered there - but it is a 5E store only

Thanks for the information; this is the first time I've done anything of this sort, and I'll keep it in mind.

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2020, 03:06
Here's a post with a bit more info on licensing etc.; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets

3dartwork
January 7th, 2020, 04:48
I was a bit more excited about this when I saw the PNG screenshot containing all of the tables and charts filled, but having to manually enter an entire book's worth of content kills it for me. Visually I am delighted to see the background and artistic style of categories, but until ICRPG comes to FG officially, I can't really see myself manually doing all that. That is a LOT of manually typing especially the loot and tags....

Saagael
January 7th, 2020, 15:18
I was a bit more excited about this when I saw the PNG screenshot containing all of the tables and charts filled, but having to manually enter an entire book's worth of content kills it for me. Visually I am delighted to see the background and artistic style of categories, but until ICRPG comes to FG officially, I can't really see myself manually doing all that. That is a LOT of manually typing especially the loot and tags....

Totally understandable. Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast when it comes to fan-made things; I can only give so much out. My original idea was to empower GMs to keep their games lean and clean, so to speak. Make the process of organizing and creating your own content as simple and straightforward as possible so you don't have to copy an entire book of content.

That said, others have shared your sentiment, and so I'm looking into it.

Trenloe
January 7th, 2020, 17:20
Of course it's great if there's as much info available within FG as possible. However, when we run our own games, how much of that do we actually use? If you're planning a game, with new characters, you don't need to enter all of that data. Also - how much of that really needs to be there for you to just play? Use FG as a base VTT, not a high level automation machine, put in the basic information in a PC sheet to allow you to roll dice, have basic info that is *needed* to be shared with the players, and describe the rest as you play - assuming you use voice, this isn't much different from playing a game around a "real" table.

scottgeg
January 7th, 2020, 18:34
Ya beat me to it! I will definitely be using this to run my Sunday ICRPG games. If you need it playtested I run an every Sunday game (had just been using an extension I made and CoreRPG) feel free to contact me here or through the Runehammer forums (DSMyers)

Saagael
January 8th, 2020, 19:38
Good news! I've spoken with Hank, the creator of Index Card RPG, and he's greenlit me to work on an official Fantasy Grounds module for CORE 2e. It all still has to go through SmiteWorks' licensing process, but Hank and I are both on board to bring ICRPG to Fantasy Grounds.

Trenloe
January 8th, 2020, 19:45
Good news! I've spoken with Hank, the creator of Index Card RPG, and he's greenlit me to work on an official Fantasy Grounds module for CORE 2e. It all still has to go through SmiteWorks' licensing process, but Hank and I are both on board to bring ICRPG to Fantasy Grounds.
Great news!

damned
January 8th, 2020, 21:56
Great stuff Saagael.

kking014
January 27th, 2020, 17:16
How do i install this?

don't worry found it, looks great might have just sold me on FG

Saagael
January 27th, 2020, 19:58
Awesome, glad you got it working! Also, just fyi, the version I posted in my original post is now very outdated; still working, but outdated. I'm currently working with Hank (creator of ICRPG) on an official FG release of ICRPG with an updated, more fleshed out, ruleset. I don't have a timeline, as I know everyone is pretty slammed with FGU, but when I know more about that I'll post an update here. Until then, send me a DM if you have any questions or suggestions, as I'm always looking for feedback!

k410
February 27th, 2020, 02:16
Very cool! I just found out about ICRPG by way of "Altered State" on DTRPG. Of course the next thing I looked for was a Fantasy Grounds implementation.

scottgeg
February 27th, 2020, 02:26
Altered State is great, glad to have another ICRPG fan on here. You will be REALLY impressed by the ICRPG ruleset, Saagael did a fantastic job on it.

Brent Taylor
March 31st, 2020, 01:56
This is insanely cool! Looking forward to using this ruleset until the full official one drops!

I have one request though, on the final full ruleset. ICRPG has always been about community involvement, modifications and a genuine interest in DIY. Please, if at all possible, keep the final ruleset out of the Vault. It will cripple our ability to modify and extend the ruleset to do new things!

Saagael
March 31st, 2020, 02:00
This is insanely cool! Looking forward to using this ruleset until the full official one drops!

I have one request though, on the final full ruleset. ICRPG has always been about community involvement, modifications and a genuine interest in DIY. Please, if at all possible, keep the final ruleset out of the Vault. It will cripple our ability to modify and extend the ruleset to do new things!

I'm not sure if that's something that the folks at Smiteworks work out with the creator of the game, but I totally agree. If it's in my power to do so, I'll make sure that the code is available.

Furio74
April 24th, 2020, 19:22
Just seeing what the status of the new ICRPG ruleset availability? Thanks in advance.

Furio74
April 24th, 2020, 19:28
Jan 8th, 2020: Good news! The creator of Index Card RPG has greenlit me to work on an official Fantasy Grounds module for CORE 2e. It all still has to go through SmiteWorks' licensing process, but Hank and I are both on board to bring ICRPG to Fantasy Grounds.

Heya folks!

I've got a ruleset for Index Card RPG that I've been working on over the holiday break. It started out as an extension, but I decided to make it a standalone ruleset based on CoreRPG. It includes a few changes to the combat tracker, character sheets, and npcs, and adds archetypes, bioforms, spells, and tags. It also includes a full graphical overhaul in the ICRPG sharpie art style.

I haven't done extensive testing in a session yet, but I'll be fixing and updating it as I use it. if anyone else gets use out of it, I'd love to hear how it works for ya!

Edit:
Zipped up the correct folder so the ruleset pack works. Thanks damned!

Just wondering for this Extension how to change the target die roll? It looks like it is defaulted to 12, but I am not sure how do change this. Thanks!

Saagael
April 24th, 2020, 20:53
Just seeing what the status of the new ICRPG ruleset availability? Thanks in advance.

The full version of the ruleset is complete and it's working its way through Smitework's testing and release process. I'm not sure how long it'll take; this is my first go-around for releasing a ruleset. That said, I'm really eager to get it out into the wild and see people using it!

Just wondering for this Extension how to change the target die roll? It looks like it is defaulted to 12, but I am not sure how do change this. Thanks!
The scroll wheel changes the target number. It's not obvious in this version, but in the full version of the ruleset I've made it more clear.

Furio74
April 24th, 2020, 21:46
The full version of the ruleset is complete and it's working its way through Smitework's testing and release process. I'm not sure how long it'll take; this is my first go-around for releasing a ruleset. That said, I'm really eager to get it out into the wild and see people using it!

The scroll wheel changes the target number. It's not obvious in this version, but in the full version of the ruleset I've made it more clear.

Thanks! For the ruleset you are working on - will it contain the table and data (similar to the PNG image you provided at the start of this thread)? If I use the PAK file now and build a campaign game with this, will the SmiteWorks formalized version you are working on be compatible (that is, can I use what I have in this campaign with the new version you are working on)?

Saagael
April 24th, 2020, 22:18
Thanks! For the ruleset you are working on - will it contain the table and data (similar to the PNG image you provided at the start of this thread)? If I use the PAK file now and build a campaign game with this, will the SmiteWorks formalized version you are working on be compatible (that is, can I use what I have in this campaign with the new version you are working on)?

The full release will include all content from the Core 2e book: all archetypes, bioforms, items, loot tables, monsters, adventures, etc. It'll all be bundled with the ruleset.

While you can create content with the ruleset I posted, much of it will be incompatible with the full version. I added a ton of features that will likely not place nicely with the ruleset in the original post.

Saagael
May 13th, 2020, 00:43
For those that've been following this thread, I just updated the OP with the exciting news that the ruleset is finally available on the Fantasy Grounds store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGICRPG). Check it out and leave any and all feedback.

Brent Taylor
May 13th, 2020, 01:02
Very cool! Looking forward to this! I've got to ask though, were you able to keep the code base out of the vault?

Saagael
May 13th, 2020, 01:07
Very cool! Looking forward to this! I've got to ask though, were you able to keep the code base out of the vault?

I actually don't know if it's kept out of the vault; I wasn't told one way or another. I imagine you'd be free to crack open the ruleset, since I can do that with other paid rulesets. If not, send me a DM and I'll get it sorted.

Brent Taylor
May 13th, 2020, 01:15
I'm afraid I'd have to purchase to find that out. I'm not against purchasing it, (in fact I'm looking forward to doing so), but there's no point in purchasing it if I can't modify it. As with most ICRPG players I imagine, I run a pretty modified game.

As for being able to modify other paid rulesets...that largely stopped being a thing a couple of years ago. Most things released in the last couple of years are in the vault.

Saagael
May 13th, 2020, 01:16
I'm afraid I'd have to purchase to find that out. I'm not against purchasing it, (in fact I'm looking forward to doing so), but there's no point in purchasing it if I can't modify it. As with most ICRPG players I imagine, I run a pretty modified game.

As for being able to modify other paid rulesets...that largely stopped being a thing a couple of years ago. Most things released in the last couple of years are in the vault.

Dang, that's unfortunate. I wish someone mentioned that when all the contracts were being signed. I'll email someone about it.

damned
May 13th, 2020, 01:23
For those that've been following this thread, I just updated the OP with the exciting news that the ruleset is finally available on the Fantasy Grounds store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=IPFGICRPG). Check it out and leave any and all feedback.

Congrats.

scottgeg
May 13th, 2020, 01:51
I bought it today, you can get into it

Brent Taylor
May 13th, 2020, 01:57
Fantastic! Looking forward to diving in!

hawkwind
May 15th, 2020, 08:51
The store page say"Endless possibilities! With small extensions, you can play in the cyberpunk world of Altered State, the prehistoric world of Blood & Snow, or the modern superheroes setting Vigilante City" do these extensions come with the core game

Saagael
May 15th, 2020, 15:37
The store page say"Endless possibilities! With small extensions, you can play in the cyberpunk world of Altered State, the prehistoric world of Blood & Snow, or the modern superheroes setting Vigilante City" do these extensions come with the core game

I don't think you can sell extensions on the store, so they're not included. I'll be putting together a thread later today has the extensions I've currently made. Right now there's extensions for Altered State and Blood and Snow since those have some actual rules changes (soak damage with armor, rage and surge dice, etc). You can play Vigilante city without an extension currently, but I'm also in the process of designing an extension for it.

Trenloe
May 15th, 2020, 15:40
I don't think you can sell extensions on the store, so they're not included.
Any FG data/code (rulesets, extensions, modules, portraits, tokens) can be packaged within a product on the FG store.

damned
May 16th, 2020, 07:45
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57933-Index-Card-RPG-Extensions

hawkwind
May 16th, 2020, 09:55
I don't think you can sell extensions on the store, so they're not included. I'll be putting together a thread later today has the extensions I've currently made. Right now there's extensions for Altered State and Blood and Snow since those have some actual rules changes (soak damage with armor, rage and surge dice, etc). You can play Vigilante city without an extension currently, but I'm also in the process of designing an extension for it.

In Vigilante City you have to track stun points?

Saagael
May 16th, 2020, 16:00
In Vigilante City you have to track stun points?

True, but since stun points largely replace hit points, you can get away with treating HP on the PC sheet like Stun, and then adding a extra stat to track actual HP. Spells as they currently exist should also handle any powers or abilities that PCs have. So it's still playable. And since work on 3e has begun and is supposed to join all of the separate micro-systems from the different settings I'll likely wait and see how 3e handles it all and implement that.

hawkwind
May 24th, 2020, 07:20
there iswsnt a default place to record movement values on the character sheet or the NPC record

Saagael
May 24th, 2020, 16:00
there iswsnt a default place to record movement values on the character sheet or the NPC record

Correct, because the game doesn't use movement values. You can find the description of it in the reference manual under How to Play -> Distance. A standard NEAR movement for all NPCs and characters is measured as 1 banana, though on VTT it's up to the GM to let the players know how many grid squares that is on a map. For example, since my group is used to playing D&D I scale my maps so that 1 banana is around 5-6 squares.

scottgeg
May 25th, 2020, 02:09
Hawkwind, the MOVE values I added specifically for AC&C for grid based play and are not in the ICRPG rules. I just put them on the character sheet in the Other Rolls box and on the NPCs in Traits.