PDA

View Full Version : Bug? Misunderstanding? Pins on the map...

TacticaT
January 5th, 2020, 00:09
First time trying to run something with Fantasy Grounds, so still learning the UI.

The Stranger Things adventure has a couple different maps - there is a Cave and a Lair location, and each has a DM and Player version of the map.

All those maps have the little red pins on them, which a tutorial video says should link you to the relevant section in the story. But none of them are actually clickable. I've right-click -> layers -> disable pins / enable pins and still nothing. The pins stay visible but never do anything.

Moon Wizard
January 5th, 2020, 00:28
Make sure that you disable any extensions in the launch screen for your campaign. There are several extensions (Enhanced Images and 5E Combat Enhancer) which can cause this issue. If you're just learning FG, I suggest running without any extensions at all to start.

Regards,
JPG

Death from Below
January 5th, 2020, 01:59
So I just encountered the same problem with the pin links. When I turn off the combat enhancer extension, the links work. Is this just a random thing that i can just restart a once/a few times before it works, or will that happen every time i engage the extension?

notrealdan
January 5th, 2020, 02:02
When you're using the Combat Enhancer extension (or others that provide extra layers) the pins only exist on one of the layers. The default layer with the CE extension is the "play" layer, but that's not the one where the pins live. They live on the "background" layer. So, switch to that layer and you'll be able to use the pins.

notrealdan
January 5th, 2020, 02:06
Also, check the first post in the 5E Combat Enhancer thread. The section near the bottom of the first post labeled "Important" explains this.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47146-5e-Combat-Enhancer-(built-on-retired-GPL-Advanced-Kombat-extension)

Death from Below
January 5th, 2020, 03:17
Ok. I never noticed this issue before during some tests the past few weeks. Then i was goofing around with the combat enhancer settings today, and it suddenly became an issue. map layers changed on me. Why is it making me unlock every map i own now in order to change the layer, then re-lock it? On every map i open...

notrealdan
January 5th, 2020, 03:23
Hmm, as far as I can remember, that’s the normal behavior. You have to unlock the map to modify it, including changing layers.

Edit: It’s possible that changed with some version change of the extension and/or with FG itself, but I don’t recall it being any different.

TacticaT
January 5th, 2020, 03:25
Oh cool, thanks for the tip. I had installed a ton of different extensions but thought I'd disabled them all. The only ones I'd intended to keep were the 12 point font and the Windows Saver X, but you're right I did have 5e Combat Enhancer still active!

Death from Below
January 5th, 2020, 03:31
@notrealdan , My point is: all my map pins worked. I was turning some combat enhancer settings off and on. And now every single map i open, i need to unlock and change the layer back. I never changed layers in the first place, but now i have to do this for every map i'm opening to get pins to work again. so, im frustrated!

notrealdan
January 5th, 2020, 04:01
@notrealdan , My point is: all my map pins worked. I was turning some combat enhancer settings off and on. And now every single map i open, i need to unlock and change the layer back. I never changed layers in the first place, but now i have to do this for every map i'm opening to get pins to work again. so, im frustrated!

I suggest you post a question about this in the thread for that extension. The author might be able to shed some light on your situation. It may help to know what specific options you changed from their defaults, though I’m not aware of any off the top of my head that would change this behavior. I’m not near my computer at the moment to fire up FG and take a closer look.

damned
January 5th, 2020, 05:41
Combat Engancer adds layers.
The official content is all on the bottom layer.
You need to read the notes on the Combat Enhancer extension.