PDA

View Full Version : Another help request: duplicating tables

jeffreyac
January 3rd, 2020, 08:47
Hi folks, and welcome to today's edition of 'Jeff's not smart enough to figure this out...' :rv: (an ongoing series that will probably have a TON of entries!)

I'm working on a set of custom random monster generation tables, and I need to make several tables that are similar but have some minor differences (mostly in numbers of monsters appearing). My plan was to get the first one done, then duplicate it into a second table and adjust the numbers to where I wanted them; this way I wouldn't have to recreate the whole table, just adjust the numbers and at the end I'd have both my original table and the new modified one. Keep doing that, and I've got all the tables I need without having to type everything in for all of them.

Trouble is, while I've found references to dragging an existing table to an empty table to duplicate it, I can't quite figure out how to make this work in practice. Is this possible? If so, assuming I'm correct about dragging/dropping to an empty table, what exactly do I drag?

The tables are set to output to encounters - does this matter? Does it only work, say, in tables that output to chat?

If it doesn't work like that, is there a way to duplicate a table?

stephan_
January 3rd, 2020, 09:01
In the tables window, click and drag the icon in front of the table name (the icon depends on which ruleset you use) into the tables window again, which should generate a copy (the same as for pretty much everything else besides images by the way: NPCs, encounters, parcels, ...).

Not too sure whether it also works for encounter tables but I'd suggest trying it out.

damned
January 3rd, 2020, 11:00
Drag it 5mm or further away from the source entry and release your mouse.

jeffreyac
January 3rd, 2020, 17:48
A-ha! Thank you - still didn't quite get what you meant, had to read the post again several times before I saw the TABLES window... I've been dragging it to the wrong spot!

Thanks!