PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem installing FGC on Macbook Pro with Parallels 15

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 01:35
I just got my new MacBook, unlike my old one it is on the latest MacOS so I figured I'd use Parallels to run in a Windows 10 VM.

I installed the Windows VM using their autoinstall (I didn't even realize it would do this, last time used Parallels was in 2012 - completely different options.)
I then installed Steam and was about to install FG when realized, nah - right - I run the one without Steam from direct download so I put that away (will install some Steam games later.)

I clicked on Windows install and chose run from web (I previously always downloaded then ran downloaded exe) and it went through alright and I entered my license and it took forever to download the ton of material.
I left the default install location to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and changed the data directory to: C:\Users\ddelgado\Fantasy Grounds

A weird error box appeared behind the "update done" FG window. I couldn't close the FG dialog until clicked on it and it said something about missing EXE that I did not carefully look at. Then closed FG dialog. Then did other things. When went to run to test, I noticed none of the shortcuts and links were "legit" - they do not find the file. I look in the program directory and NOTHING is in there. Nada.

So... thought hmmm maybe something due to "install from web"? So I tried to uninstall it but it wasn't in the control panel of windows.

I downloaded the FGWebInstaller. I clicked on it to start and it showed me the settings dialog with everything already setup properly (license, data and prog locations) and clicked OK. Then it went through checking for updates (none, the data directory still exists) and got the Windows dialog popup:

[Window Title]
C:/Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.exe

[Content]
Windows cannot find 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

(interesting, that's what pasted when I ctrl-copied the screencapture I did...)

Any ideas?
Seems really weird that the damn FG directory is EMPTY...

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 03:13
Running this binary, which I got from this site only starts the updater and does NOT try to install anything :(

FGWebInstall

Seems more like FGWebUpdater instead of installer...

Any ideas? Could it be permissions? That just hit me, will try install as an admin … though something bugs me about that too like "do NOT install as admin..." for FG?

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2020, 03:17
What security software do you have installed/enabled? It's more than likely something blocking the installation of the FG executables.

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 03:23
Yeah, that is possible. It did occur to me but there was no message warning.

Unsure what Parallels installs in Windows by default. I have only done what I listed above. Installed Parallels 15 which in turn asked me if I wanted to install Win10 and I said yes and this made it install a new Win10 VM (with whatever settings it chose, I have not examined this yet)

Then I installed Steam (but no programs from it.)

Then I downloaded but did not install Eclipse (I intend to use the Windows version of FGC on my new MacBook Pro (with ESCAPE KEY!) to run my ruleset I was working on. Moving from my old clunky/heavy MacBook Pro 2012.

I did not install any security apps (will later install my antivirus) - I was waiting to make sure FGC worked in it since that for now is the only Windows app I cared about running.

I will check the default sec apps in Windows and see if can turn it off then retry install.

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 03:32
It went straight to checking the DATA directory and downloading my purchased content. But, if I recall it should have done the INSTALLATION before this. There were no error messages.
I read somewhere in passing that Parallels should setup Bridge networking to allow folks to connect, I didn't look at this or change it since I will not be having anyone connecting in or out on this version. When Unity for Mac is gtg, I will use it when necessary on the laptop and when/if I continue developing ruleset under FGU, I will gladly dump the VM version of FGC.

I see no option to turn off Defender from the defender menu. I need to look at whatever starts it I guess. Maybe force quit it.
More hit me - this Win10 was autoinstalled. It is not a "legit" registered version yet. I need to go look in my files to get a valid license key for it, I have several from my Microsoft Dev sub.
Maybe that is preventing it? Again, no error message and indication of skipping the install. ORIGINALY shortcuts were made so I think it tried to do something and since then it is confused thinking it is installed.

I may just uninstall whole Windows thing tomorrow and reinstall PArallels etc to see.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2020, 04:12
The FG application "installation" is very quick, installing 13MB of files to the application directory - the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds but there's not specific step that you'll notice, short of FantasyGrounds.exe being downloaded as part of the update (if there's a new executable needed).

Try the FG install again - keep an eye on the application directory (have explorer open) and see if any files at all appear in that directory (and see if they then disappear). Also check the <FG app data>\console.log to see if there is any information regarding FantasyGrounds.exe being downloaded.

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 05:53
Welp, I deleted the Win10 VM. Removed Parallels. (drag app to garbage as instructed)

Reinstalled Parallels.
Installed Windows 10. Entered Key for Windows 10 Pro. Updates to Pro.
Turned on "show hidden files"
Went to open Program files to watch as installs. Saw that the shortcut for FantasyGrounds.exe was still on desktop after this "reinstall" so Parallels must have a directory somewhere storing things. I let it create the Win10 VM by default so I guess it uses same name and it matches up.

So... I try anyway. Enter my key and new data dir leaving prouder as default.
It creates the Progdir/FG dir and nothing is in it. The content section goes faster because I saved the dir from first install and moved it to proper place in VM.

Same as before.

Then went and disabled real time virus check (again built in windows security)
Disabled all Windows firewalls shown.

Clicked on FGWebInstaller and saw no files created in the ProgDir.

If <FG app data> dir = where content is downloaded (modules, rulesets, vault, etc) then there are only 2 log files there: install.log and update.log which both refer to content data only, no binary files.

When I check my main Win10 PC (desktop) it has the console.log file in Users/Dan/AppData/Fantasy Grounds which has the same modules, rulesets, etc and the install.log, update.log etc and.... console.log which is NOT on the equiv dir of my MacBook Pro :(

I have to get to sleep, this is very frustrating. The fact that the Fantasy Grounds shortcut was there from the start (at least I could swear it was... I notice Steam shortcut isn't there so maybe I didn't look until I tried to install FG... gonna delete the shortcut and see if recreates...nope. Didn't recreate it so... more confusion. It just doesn't seem to even TRY to install FG. Like it thinks it IS installed so it doesn't do it.

Is there a way to start FGWebInstall with some command line "force" option?

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 06:00
Currently downloaded installer is 2,817 kbytes on both my MacBook and windows PCs. In case that is worth knowing.

I might try installing on son's laptop. I don't want to install my license on that, can I use the installer and not put in key, does that make it a "demo license" or is that only through Steam?

Figure this way can verify the obvious that the installer is good. I am sure it is but ... always validate the assumptions.

Anyhow, sleeping for real now.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2020, 06:20
Please post install.log from the <FG app data> directory.

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 06:32
(Ignore the not recreating link comment on prior post, didn't notice the unconnected link WAS recreated. Just didn't want to confuse things more by misinfo.)

Saw your reply on my phone and got up back to laptop ;)
Attached is the install file. It has a date of the FIRST time I tried installing on Thurs night (EST). Not the last 2 or 3 I did. So it persisted past my deleting the win10 vm and uninstalling parallels...clue there probably...

(My install file on pc has the content as well as exes listed in that file, I do not have exes listed in my laptop's install file)

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 06:35
Also to be pedantic, I left the default program directory that appears when settings dialog pops up during install. I DID change the "app data" directory to "C:/Users/ddelgado/Fantasy Grounds" which is where all the content was copied and log appears.

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 18:45
Should I try to copy the Fantasy Grounds executable directory contents over to the MacBook from my Win PC? perhaps if I did that, I could try to "uninstall" using the FGUninstaller and then try to reinstall again.

If reinstall still is same problem, I could try to copy again and see if it RUNS with the copied but not "installed" (no idea what registry stuff it modifies) - if it does, will leave it as such until the day comes that an FG (code not content) update happens and I can see then if the update works or not.

Or any other suggestions?

----EDIT:
Looking on my Windows PC, I do not see an uninstaller (thought there would be because of the link created on my Mac desktop) - or is it a link to one of the other exe's just with an arg to uninstall?

Varsuuk
January 3rd, 2020, 23:52
I guess I can continue setting up my new MacBook now that FG is apparently installed. I would be willing to troubleshoot to get to the root of the issue if desired. Let me know if any logs may help.

For now, I just copied the 3 EXEs, 2 DLLs, pak, txt, and xml files to the PROGDIR on the Mac from my Win10 box.
It installed and updated the exe as well. It came up with SN in red in config dialog (I copied from my account on web page - I am guessing that was for UNITY only?) and 3.3.9?-Free. Then I opened Steam and took the Ultimate Key from that, replaced the key in config and reupdated. It updated to 3.3.9-Ultimate and looks correct. I have not yet run it and won't be able to until later tonight beyond this initial startup. I have to head out for a bit too.

But I am hoping tis "did it" - Any of you guys know if it depends on any installer-created registries etc that are not setup by running FG directly?

I'll update later if I learn more. I may try running the installer again if that is a legit thing to do. I'd like a "regular" install where the control panel sees it in installed apps for removal etc. But … take what can get.

EDIT: Post copy of exe's log files... this one does not show install of all the exe/files as one on my PC does, well because it did not actually download them all ;) but figure in case has any valuable info