PDA

View Full Version : Noto Sans based Fonts Extension

Tuirgin
January 1st, 2020, 23:39
I put together a font extension which uses the OFL (https://scripts.sil.org/ofl) licensed Noto Sans (https://www.google.com/get/noto/) family of fonts—the license is included within the ZIP archive. This is a clear typeface at a size which is kind to my 40+ year old eyes.

Note that the screenshot also shows my modification of the Simple Gray theme, which adds the DCC RPG ruleset to the supported rulesets and bumps the contrast. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53048-Tuirgin-s-Simple-Gray-Theme-(w-DCC-RPG-support)

Bonkon
January 2nd, 2020, 00:23
Good Day Tuirgin :)
Very nice for my old eyes too :)

MooCow
January 2nd, 2020, 10:57
OFL licensed
Link for lazy people:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIL_Open_Font_License
(It basically means that you're free to use it.)

MooCow
January 2nd, 2020, 11:28
Your extension seems to be missing a logo image:

<root>
<!-- Damned -->
<icon name="diehard-logo" file="graphics/logos/diegaming_small.png" />

</root>

"DCC" refers to "Dungeon Crawl Classics":

Description
Dungeon Crawl Classics is a series of role-playing game modules published by Goodman Games, most of which use the Open Gaming License and System Reference Document version 3.5 to provide compatibility with the revised third edition of Dungeons & Dragons.
Tuirgin has recently made another extension with DCC portraits and tokens, which he's probably referring to:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53020-DCC-Character-Portraits-and-Tokens

Tuirgin
January 2nd, 2020, 14:15
Your extension seems to be missing a logo image:

<root>
<!-- Damned -->
<icon name="diehard-logo" file="graphics/logos/diegaming_small.png" />

</root>

Ah, yeah. I started with another font configuration, replaced all the fonts and then thought I'd removed the old branding. Looks like I missed the callouts to an icon XML file. I'll get that updated.

Is it bad form to leave out the announcement and branding features, though? I personally don't care about them. But if it's bad form, I'll get my 3 add ons updated.

"DCC" refers to "Dungeon Crawl Classics"

Correct. I updated the original for clarity, adding in links to the OFL, to the Noto Sans family page, and to clarify that I added the DCC RPG ruleset to the list of supported rulesets.

Thanks for the pointing this stuff out.

Talyn
January 2nd, 2020, 14:16
You could make it easy by simply using:

<ruleset>Any</ruleset>

Tuirgin
January 2nd, 2020, 14:39
You could make it easy by simply using:

<ruleset>Any</ruleset>

There's no reference to rulesets in the fonts extension—I'm guessing you're suggesting this for my modification to the Simple Gray theme I mentioned? If so, my hesitation is that I simply don't know what would be required to support "any" ruleset or how graceful failure would be if needed support is missing or somehow erroneous. I've had FG for less than 2 weeks, so I'm very much in the mode of scratching personal itches without having much familiarity with the underlying API.

The original Simple Gray theme lists the following rulesets:

CoreRPG
2E
3.5E
4E
5E
PFRPG
SFRPG
Castles and Crusades
CallOfCthulhu
CallOfCthulhu7E
d20 Modern
Fate Core
Numenera
13th_Age
SavageWorlds
SWD

I added DCC RPG to that. If replacing all of that with "Any" ruleset is safe, I'll go ahead and do that.

Thanks for the advice!

MooCow
January 2nd, 2020, 15:05
Is it bad form to leave out the announcement and branding features, though? I personally don't care about them. But if it's bad form, I'll get my 3 add ons updated.

"The announcement"? "Branding features"? What's a branding feature? Why do humans use terms that I don't understand all the time? It's like you're holding secret meetings that I'm not invited to.

All I know is that I can't find the image file (or even the "logos/" folder) that the code is referring to, in the Core RPG ruleset, and if it isn't there, then if you want a logo displayed for at least Core RPG, you should probably include that image into your extension.

Maybe you are referring to a logo that pops up in the chat as the extension is loaded, in which case, in Core RPG, that logo - the golden die icon - is called "graphics/icons/rulesetlogo_CoreRPG.png". ...but you may be referring to something else entirely.

MooCow
January 2nd, 2020, 15:13
You could make it easy by simply using "<ruleset>Any</ruleset>".
What's the difference between using "<ruleset>Any</ruleset>" and just omitting the ruleset tag altogether? It seems to work just fine without that tag, so I figured that it was just a restriction.

Tuirgin
January 2nd, 2020, 15:14
"The announcement"? "Branding features"? What's a branding feature? Why do humans use terms that I don't understand all the time? It's like you're holding secret meetings that I'm not invited to.

All I know is that I can't find the image file (or even the "logos/" folder) that the code is referring to, in the Core RPG ruleset, and if it isn't there, then if you want a logo displayed for at least Core RPG, you should probably include that image into your extension.

Maybe you are referring to a logo that pops up in the chat as the extension is loaded, in which case, in Core RPG, that logo - the golden die icon - is called "graphics/icons/rulesetlogo_CoreRPG.png". ...but you may be referring to something else entirely.

I have seen an "announcement" tag in the XML for some addons. It looks like what this does is provide a way for the content creator to "advertise" to the chat window the product name, creator name, and other info. Logos can be included. My intention was to strip all of this out of my extensions and modules. I don't have a logo, and don't care about flashing my extension or module names, etc. My question was whether it's bad behavior to strip out the annoucement message.

The logos folder you mention had already been removed, but what I hadn't removed was a reference to it. That's gone now. There's a new *.ext attached to the top post which should be clean now.

MooCow
January 2nd, 2020, 15:25
I have seen an "announcement" tag in the XML for some addons. It looks like what this does is provide a way for the content creator to "advertise" to the chat window the product name, creator name, and other info. Logos can be included. My intention was to strip all of this out of my extensions and modules. I don't have a logo, and don't care about flashing my extension or module names, etc. My question was whether it's bad behavior to strip out the annoucement message.

The logos folder you mention had already been removed, but what I hadn't removed was a reference to it. That's gone now. There's a new *.ext attached to the top post which should be clean now.

Oh, now I understand what you mean. I'm not familiar with good form, but I figure that announcement tags are good for clarifying what version of your extension is loaded. That way users don't have to unpack your extension to figure out if they should upgrade it or not - they can just load it.

Talyn
January 2nd, 2020, 15:25
There's no reference to rulesets in the fonts extension—I'm guessing you're suggesting this for my modification to the Simple Gray theme I mentioned? If so, my hesitation is that I simply don't know what would be required to support "any" ruleset or how graceful failure would be if needed support is missing or somehow erroneous. I've had FG for less than 2 weeks, so I'm very much in the mode of scratching personal itches without having much familiarity with the underlying API.

The original Simple Gray theme lists the following rulesets:

CoreRPG
2E
3.5E
4E
5E
PFRPG
SFRPG
Castles and Crusades
CallOfCthulhu
CallOfCthulhu7E
d20 Modern
Fate Core
Numenera
13th_Age
SavageWorlds
SWD

I added DCC RPG to that. If replacing all of that with "Any" ruleset is safe, I'll go ahead and do that.

Thanks for the advice!

That is "generally" considered "bad form" to list a crapload of rulesets unless there is a very specific reason to do so. For official DLC, SmiteWorks doesn't want us listing any more than two rulesets, for example. Mind you, you're fine doing it this way but it just means you have to update every time a new ruleset comes out or you find one you didn't know about. Just sticking a single line with Any solves that (as does omitting the ruleset line altogether, I just personally like to have it there so I can see that it was something I considered when looking at the code later) and since this is just a font swap that could benefit everyone regardless of ruleset, I'd say the KISS principle would apply to cut down the amount of effort you have to do.

Also, regarding the announcement, bare minimum at least put some acknowledgment that Noto Sans Font Extention v1.x is loaded. When doing tech support/troubleshooting for users, one of the first things we have to ask is "what extensions do you have loaded?" so having that in the chat makes it easy for the users to answer that.

Tuirgin
January 2nd, 2020, 15:31
Thank you to Talyn and MooCow for your explanations. I'll get a versioning comment added in and will clean up that rulesets list in my version of the theme.

Trenloe
January 2nd, 2020, 16:19
I'd recommend using the announcement (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/announcement.xcp)for version tracking and also to include a Smiteworks copyright notice if you've used any of the base SmiteWorks code. For example, from the CoreRPG ruleset:

<announcement text="CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.9 for Fantasy Grounds\rCopyright 2019 Smiteworks USA, LLC" font="emotefont" icon="rulesetlogo_CoreRPG" />

You don't have to use an icon.

Tuirgin
January 2nd, 2020, 16:42
Thank you, Trenloe, for linking to the refdoc. So far I've been making my fast and furious changes based on existing work without slowing down to find the relevant docs, yet. This will help.

damned
January 2nd, 2020, 22:23
What's the difference between using "<ruleset>Any</ruleset>" and just omitting the ruleset tag altogether? It seems to work just fine without that tag, so I figured that it was just a restriction.

Yes you can omit the tag completely for the same result.

esmdev
January 2nd, 2020, 22:28
I would also think that the announcement might be a good place to put that the font is used under license from (licensor).