PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Thread to listen out for Escape key during intense processes to cancel.

StoryWeaver
December 28th, 2019, 06:17
I know a lot of things will improve quite a bit in the processing department once you start working on optimization.

That said, even after that, it might be worth to have a thread to listen out for the 'Escape' key during more intensive processes. To give the option to halt/cancel that process if it's taking to long or is starting to hang up FGU.

I particular this could be helpful when searching through Assets. I have quite a few gigabyte of images, art, tokens, map assets etc.
While in most cases the search returns the results rather quickly. There have been occasions where FGU pools all it's resources into searching and thus freezes during this for 20-60+ seconds.

This usually happens if if I search for the wrong keyword, to broad or unspecific by accident. Forgetting to select Tokens/Images/Portraits to filter it down before I search etc.
Open up a folder that has to many large images in, a few hundred. While Windows Explorer will do fine, FGU handles things a little differently and currently doesn't cope to well.

In such cases, and any other processes that you foresee that may hang or take longer times than are acceptable during play.
Having the option to break/stop/cancel that running process by pressing the Escape key, would be a great addition.

Moon Wizard
December 28th, 2019, 07:45
The Escape key already has multiple bindings in the application. There is already paging in the Assets window; and we have some ideas for future performance improvements. Keeping your image asset sizes smaller (within FGC limits) will help for now.

Regards,
JPG