PDA

View Full Version : Conan 2d20 news?

ProfDogg
December 26th, 2019, 22:47
So, the latest KS update confirmed that Smiteworks is doing playtesting on the set. I realize absolutes are usually impossible but can anyone in the know provide a decent range for the release dates? I am really hoping to have a game started the 2nd week of January. Is that realistic?

Trenloe
December 26th, 2019, 23:20
The update said that SmiteWorks would be doing QA testing at some point, because the licensing agreement is still to be finalized. It also said "I'm sure you'll appreciate I can't give you a date of release, seeing as our licensor is still negotiating some finer points of the agreement..."

So, is 2nd week of January realistic? If we’re talking 2020, based off the above, no.

ProfDogg
December 26th, 2019, 23:58
That is a much appreciated response... Thank you, Trenloe...

Art Wendorf
January 3rd, 2020, 22:05
According to the Modiphius Forums:

"From Steve Albany
Just a heads up to everyone that cares… We have completed development on the Conan ruleset for Fantasy Grounds. Waiting on some business discussions to finish up before its released to Smiteworks.

We’re now working on module content."

That is super exciting for me because STA FG content should be hot on its heels!

Ranzarok
April 15th, 2020, 23:47
I thought I had read somewhere that the Conan 2d20 system (core ruleset) was now available? I couldn't find it in the store, anyone have info about this?

Valyar
April 16th, 2020, 05:12
There is listing in the store, but not really available as you can't purchase it. Probably the release is delayed due to QA checks.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=MUH052117FGM

daddystabz
April 17th, 2020, 01:29
I hope this is coming ASAP. I'd love to see support for Star Trek Adventures and John Carter of Mars as well.

Was the Conan FG ruleset part of the Conan 2D20 Kickstarter? I contributed at the Mount Yshma level and don't recall.

Lastly, the listing for Conan in the FG store mentions it will be available 4/12 but this is 4/16 and I still do not see a way it can be purchased.

ProfDogg
April 17th, 2020, 01:35
One of the developers posted (somewhere, losing track of these different sources) that it was coming out "soon". As for KS discounts, it wasn't originally but they added somewhere along the line for the upper tiers. You should be getting it, I think for free with a Mt Yshma pledge.

ProfDogg
April 17th, 2020, 01:35
One of the developers posted (somewhere, losing track of these different sources) that it was coming out "soon". As for KS discounts, it wasn't originally but they added somewhere along the line for the upper tiers. You should be getting it, I think for free with a Mt Yshma pledge.

Here you go: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43255-Conan-2d20&p=497052&highlight=conan#post497052

daddystabz
April 17th, 2020, 02:29
Here you go: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43255-Conan-2d20&p=497052&highlight=conan#post497052

Thanks!

daddystabz
April 20th, 2020, 03:15
Is this coming out soon? Backers are asking about it on the Kickstarter comments page and no one seems to know even here.

vegaserik
April 20th, 2020, 08:16
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=MUH052117FGM&fbclid=IwAR0-O87Vmm9VZlnHp9Vx-PULSPHDBqenbNXI5Sdvgl9g24JEIMn5P3WUpd4

It's in the store, still awaiting final approvals though.

ProfDogg
April 21st, 2020, 17:35
Any word? I thought it would have dropped by now if it were today.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2020, 17:37
I thought it would have dropped by now if it were today.
The usual Tuesday timeline is product updates first (keep a look on the City Hall forum) and then the slow release of new products into the store over the few hours after that. But, of course, usual timelines can sometimes be disrupted... ;)

Valyar
April 21st, 2020, 17:50
Soon soon :)

Trenloe
April 21st, 2020, 18:48
Thar she blows!

Valyar
April 21st, 2020, 19:18
Wohooo!

Trenloe
April 21st, 2020, 19:53
Looks good. We definitely need a couple of usage videos to give an idea of how to do things the best way.

Kinda worked out how to do an NPC roll - double-click on the attribute and the expertise that will be used, this populates the target number in the red panel under the chat window (or just click on the target panel and type in the target number - I find double clicking on the attribute and expertise numbers is hit-or-miss as to whether it adds the value to the target number panel). Then drag that target number from the panel to the chat window to roll.

Plus:

Clicking the dots under the target number panel determines the number of d20s rolled.
Selecting the "DCx" button determines the number of successes needed.

It would have been nice if the artwork from the book was in the reference manual. And they'd used the artwork to create some tokens and portraits. But, still looks very nice and will hopefully mature over time. :)

Valyar
April 21st, 2020, 20:11
I don’t like the theme. Does not fit Conan IMO, more a Greek-style rpg. I hope this will be changed.
I wonder what automation is there on the CT.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2020, 20:47
I wonder what automation is there on the CT.
Not sure there's much to it. There're some conditions in the effects window, but I think they're just informational.

There's no targeting (that I can see) - and I don't think you can drag/drop damage, so damage appears to have to be applied manually.

All of the above is OK - if we just know what to do up front. I'm fairly experienced with all the nuances of different FG rulesets and it's taking me a while to work out the basics of this...

Art Wendorf
April 21st, 2020, 21:44
I don’t like the theme. Does not fit Conan IMO, more a Greek-style rpg. I hope this will be changed.Oh, gosh. I hope not. I love it!

EDIT: And I'm not saying that just to be contrary. I think they did a good job on trying to copy the feel of the rule books. I uploaded a slice of the FG and the Book just to give people an idea of where I'm coming from.

Of course, this is a matter of taste so I'm NOT trying to say that you're WRONG. Just that I don't feel the same way.

Cheers!

statik37
April 21st, 2020, 22:19
Looks good. We definitely need a couple of usage videos to give an idea of how to do things the best way.

Kinda worked out how to do an NPC roll - double-click on the attribute and the expertise that will be used, this populates the target number in the red panel under the chat window (or just click on the target panel and type in the target number - I find double clicking on the attribute and expertise numbers is hit-or-miss as to whether it adds the value to the target number panel). Then drag that target number from the panel to the chat window to roll.

Plus:

Clicking the dots under the target number panel determines the number of d20s rolled.
Selecting the "DCx" button determines the number of successes needed.

It would have been nice if the artwork from the book was in the reference manual. And they'd used the artwork to create some tokens and portraits. But, still looks very nice and will hopefully mature over time. :)

We will be releasing a user guide within the next couple hours on our website on the basic usage of the table.

Art Wendorf
April 21st, 2020, 22:22
We will be releasing a user guide within the next couple hours on our website on the basic usage of the table.Wow! That's great to hear as well. Seems like you're trying to cover as many bases as possible. I think that's awesome of you.

Valatar
April 21st, 2020, 22:43
One of the store screenshots shows map packs, are those part of the purchase or unreleased extras?

Sunspoticus
April 21st, 2020, 22:51
One of the store screenshots shows map packs, are those part of the purchase or unreleased extras?

Good eye! Yes, its a case of.. But wait, there's more! :)

Sunspoticus
April 21st, 2020, 23:00
Here's a short doc on some of the basic usage: https://nerdeyegames.com/files/fg/conan/Conan_RulesetDoc1.6.pdf

Mu77ley
April 21st, 2020, 23:07
Here's a short doc on some of the basic usage: https://nerdeyegames.com/files/fg/conan/Conan_RulesetDoc1.6.pdf

Great stuff, thanks.

I also found a stream of the ruleset being used. Picked up some of the basics from this: https://youtu.be/saJl2_oO4Ek

vegaserik
April 22nd, 2020, 00:27
I've already entered "The Pit of Kutallu" into it, it's easy and quick to enter npc's/monsters. So far I like it. I do admit to being spoiled with 5e's automations so it took me a few minutes to get used to how the npc's roll lol

Valyar
April 22nd, 2020, 05:45
EDIT: And I'm not saying that just to be contrary. I think they did a good job on trying to copy the feel of the rule books. I uploaded a slice of the FG and the Book just to give people an idea of where I'm coming from.

Of course, this is a matter of taste so I'm NOT trying to say that you're WRONG. Just that I don't feel the same way.

Cheers!

Agree with you - it is matter of taste. If you look at the theme outside of the Conan 2d20 rulebooks that it is good, because it feels like the old Modiphius line where the yellow parchment was prevailing in the color books. It was not that intensive, but it still yellow. This shate is more suitable for Greek or Egyptian theme, rather than the more dull brownish palette that Modiphius came. Also the world of Conan has always been like that. They have re-used the assets from CoreRPG and only the PC,NPC sheets' frame is somehow special. It is not a problem, CoreRPG is good for Fantasy games, but I expected more work to be put here, especially after the community extensions are much more creative.

Not sure there's much to it. There're some conditions in the effects window, but I think they're just informational.

There's no targeting (that I can see) - and I don't think you can drag/drop damage, so damage appears to have to be applied manually.

All of the above is OK - if we just know what to do up front. I'm fairly experienced with all the nuances of different FG rulesets and it's taking me a while to work out the basics of this...

On the ruleset part... I find hard to justify 45 USD for lack of automation, CT play and this weird approach to NPC dice rolling. W was really excited and the wallet was ready. The community extensions are already providing more functionalities and quality of life improvements. The Difficulty rating buttons are nice for reporting, but I see no problem to make this math on the spot when playing. I will be following the evolution of this ruleset.

Magnimost
April 23rd, 2020, 13:52
I have the Kickstarter PDF and some sourcebooks, is there a discount on the FG ruleset for us?

On the ruleset part... I find hard to justify 45 USD for lack of automation, CT play and this weird approach to NPC dice rolling. W was really excited and the wallet was ready. The community extensions are already providing more functionalities and quality of life improvements. The Difficulty rating buttons are nice for reporting, but I see no problem to make this math on the spot when playing. I will be following the evolution of this ruleset.

What ruleset were you using to run Conan/2d20 games before? Any shortcomings with character sheets or mechanics?

What is "CT play" and the weird approach to NPC dice rolling? Not that familiar with the system, haven't read the book, yet, as it hasn't been playable in FG AFAIK.

Valyar
April 23rd, 2020, 16:26
I have the Kickstarter PDF and some sourcebooks, is there a discount on the FG ruleset for us?

What ruleset were you using to run Conan/2d20 games before? Any shortcomings with character sheets or mechanics?

What is "CT play" and the weird approach to NPC dice rolling? Not that familiar with the system, haven't read the book, yet, as it hasn't been playable in FG AFAIK.

I didn't participate in the kickstarter, so I don't know if there is discount. You have to see KS updates, if any on this topic.

We had community extension for MoreCore that implemented not only Conan-ish interface, but good way to make the Conan-2d20 related rolls -with reporting and all the good stuff. We actually have two community extensions. The second one is also doing the momentum and doom points. I also did small enhancements to each of those and the only missing feature was full CT automation when you drop the damage on the NPC. Conan mechanics use armor location and this was lacking, as it was not that critical for me as GM. Unfortunately with the official one, I can't release the code.

Magnimost
April 23rd, 2020, 16:39
I didn't participate in the kickstarter, so I don't know if there is discount. You have to see KS updates, if any on this topic.

We had community extension for MoreCore that implemented not only Conan-ish interface, but good way to make the Conan-2d20 related rolls -with reporting and all the good stuff. We actually have two community extensions. The second one is also doing the momentum and doom points. I also did small enhancements to each of those and the only missing feature was full CT automation when you drop the damage on the NPC. Conan mechanics use armor location and this was lacking, as it was not that critical for me as GM. Unfortunately with the official one, I can't release the code.

So the extensions are not available due to copyright?

Still, what is "CT play" and "CT automation"?

edit: found one MoreCore extension here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36019-Conan-Extension-V-3-1&p=313057), but it seems to be dead as last version is from Nov 2018. Think it might be more hassle to get that to work with lacking functionality, than to fork for the official one?

ProfDogg
April 23rd, 2020, 21:27
Do we know if the tile sets will be released any time soon? There's a couple I'd like to use for our first session but they're only on Roll20 right now.

Mu77ley
April 24th, 2020, 00:13
Still, what is "CT play" and "CT automation"?

Combat Tracker I expect.

vegaserik
April 24th, 2020, 04:43

I was in the Kickstarter and I don't remember there being any discount, just that they wanted to release a rule set on FG.

Trenloe
April 24th, 2020, 07:58
I was in the Kickstarter and I don't remember there being any discount, just that they wanted to release a rule set on FG.
See the KS update from yesterday, where they mention they're looking into offering a discount for backers: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/posts/2818838

As Valyar mentioned: "You have to see KS updates"! :)

vegaserik
April 24th, 2020, 22:12
See the KS update from yesterday, where they mention they're looking into offering a discount for backers: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/posts/2818838

As Valyar mentioned: "You have to see KS updates"! :)

A little late now.

ProfDogg
April 24th, 2020, 22:28
A little late now.

Same for me but you can always request a refund and then repurchase it. SmiteWorks has always been very generous in that regard.

vegaserik
April 25th, 2020, 00:22
Same for me but you can always request a refund and then repurchase it. SmiteWorks has always been very generous in that regard.

Yeah, maybe. I'm very happy with the ruleset so far, and I'm betting more of the books are coming. It would probably be easier if they had a coupon code for a discount towards one of those if you've already purchased the core set. But either way I can't wait to start playing a campaign with this. I've already put in Pit of Kutallu!

ProfDogg
April 25th, 2020, 01:00
Yeah, maybe. I'm very happy with the ruleset so far, and I'm betting more of the books are coming. It would probably be easier if they had a coupon code for a discount towards one of those if you've already purchased the core set. But either way I can't wait to start playing a campaign with this. I've already put in Pit of Kutallu!

Ha! I did the same with Vultures of Shem... But now the first update is coming down on Tuesday to include that adventure... Still, it gave me practice to get back into loading material and test the ruleset at the same time... And now I have more artwork and tokens for the official version...

Luthbel
April 25th, 2020, 13:28
I´ve been playing around with the ruleset, but I noticed that the adventure included in the sourcebook and all the art are missing from the ref manual. Any info on this?

Magnimost
April 25th, 2020, 13:32
I realized I actually didn't back the KS campaign, as they didn't promise FG integration back when it was running.

But now that the ruleset is out, I got the smaller rules bundle from DriveThruRPG to start prepping. After I've seen what the 17 (!) books (yes, that's the smaller bundle) have to offer we'll get the ruleset - my players are all Conan fans like I am, so this is a no-brainer for us.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2020, 13:38
I´ve been playing around with the ruleset, but I noticed that the adventure included in the sourcebook and all the art are missing from the ref manual. Any info on this?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56905-The-New-Conan-2d20-Core&p=501034&viewfull=1#post501034

Luthbel
April 25th, 2020, 13:50
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56905-The-New-Conan-2d20-Core&p=501034&viewfull=1#post501034

Thanks much Trenloe!

ShotGun Jolly
April 28th, 2020, 19:42

Edited due to being incorrect. See below post.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2020, 19:43
There is some, very minor automation in the tracker. But it is not not very effective, as it only displays the results and you still have to do the manual calculations to determine the outcome, but this is only in FGC. In FGU, where the dice results do not display, you can NOT determine the results at all. In its current state, the FGU version is not recommended by me. Not really functional yet.

I posted a screen shot of what I found on the bugs thread.
An update has just been released - see the announcement in the City Hall thread.

EDIT: If you don't have Vultures of Shem in FG Classic, re-run the update. The first update didn't include it, but it's there now.

ShotGun Jolly
April 28th, 2020, 19:48
There is some, very minor automation in the tracker. But it is not not very effective, as it only displays the results and you still have to do the manual calculations to determine the outcome, but this is only in FGC. In FGU, where the dice results do not display, you can NOT determine the results at all. In its current state, the FGU version is not recommended by me. Not really functional yet.

I posted a screen shot of what I found on the bugs thread.

This is a mistake on my part. I found out how to make the roll work..

Double click the attribute, double click the bonus, select the number of dice you want to roll with the yellow dots.. then drag the TN in the red disc to the chat window and it rolls.. rather brilliant actually.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2020, 19:51

Double click the attribute, double click the bonus, select the number of dice you want to roll with the yellow dots.. then drag the TN in the red disc to the chat window and it rolls.. rather brilliant actually.
It's also briefly mentioned in the v1.6 user guide.

vegaserik
April 29th, 2020, 00:36

I admit my first impression of how to do a gm roll was scratching my head, but with Conan there's so many variables it had to be hard to come up with a way to do that. Both games I play and run are 5e and I kind of got spoiled on the automation lol. But 5e is pretty cut and dry vs Conan where there are many options on each die roll.

monkeysloth
April 30th, 2020, 04:32
Has anyone figured out how to do mobs and roll more then 5 dices as a GM (and have it actually show up in the chat window)?

daddystabz
April 30th, 2020, 09:45
Has anyone figured out how to do mobs and roll more then 5 dices as a GM (and have it actually show up in the chat window)?

Can't you click a die on the screen and then keep right-clicking to add more and then drop them into the chat window to roll them and have them show in the chat?

ProfDogg
April 30th, 2020, 11:55
Can't you click a die on the screen and then keep right-clicking to add more and then drop them into the chat window to roll them and have them show in the chat?

Yes... Errrr... Normally... But the last update actually broke the dice being rolled in the chat window so that'll have to get tweaked back to the way it was soon... You can still roll from the character sheets but they're capped at 5 dice...

monkeysloth
April 30th, 2020, 15:39
Yes... Errrr... Normally... But the last update actually broke the dice being rolled in the chat window so that'll have to get tweaked back to the way it was soon... You can still roll from the character sheets but they're capped at 5 dice...

It didn't work for me before the most recent update either (I'm using unity). I'm guessing "loose" die at the bottom of the screen isn't hooked up to the target DC so when you roll the chat window prints and empty string and the dice disappear so quickly it's hard sometimes to read all of them.

mmccabe
July 28th, 2020, 15:45
Are there any plans on adding any automation to this as in NPC rolls and damage calculations on targets? I feel a little underwhelmed with my purchase. I don't think I or any of my players will want to use this. It feels super manual and I think it's actually slower than if we were all sitting around a table together.

EDIT: I contacted nerdeyeindustries and they say they're working on it. So they're aware that there's functionality that still needs to be built.

ProfDogg
July 28th, 2020, 16:54
Are there any plans on adding any automation to this as in NPC rolls and damage calculations on targets? I feel a little underwhelmed with my purchase. I don't think I or any of my players will want to use this. It feels super manual and I think it's actually slower than if we were all sitting around a table together.

EDIT: I contacted nerdeyeindustries and they say they're working on it. So they're aware that there's functionality that still needs to be built.

Crom, I hope not.. I have the worst time with the fully automated sets because they can't take into account all of the factors. I frequently have to go back and correct the computer. In my opinion, for this particular rule set, the automation here is just perfect for me as a GM. And my players certainly haven't had any issues with it. I think we're all in agreement in my group that both the system and this particular rule set have been our favorite to use for VTT.

Trenloe
July 28th, 2020, 16:54
Various discussions about the ruleset in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56822-Official-Conan-2d20-Bug-Reports-Thread

mmccabe
July 28th, 2020, 17:07
ProfDogg, would you be willing to meet up with me sometime and show me how you use the ruleset? Our group wants to play this game quite a bit, and we've done about 2 games at the table together and we had no issues in person using it, but it's really confusing to me how we wouldn't miss things without some more basic features other rulesets have in FG.

ProfDogg
July 28th, 2020, 17:25
ProfDogg, would you be willing to meet up with me sometime and show me how you use the ruleset? Our group wants to play this game quite a bit, and we've done about 2 games at the table together and we had no issues in person using it, but it's really confusing to me how we wouldn't miss things without some more basic features other rulesets have in FG.

I'd love to! PM me your availability.

vegaserik
July 30th, 2020, 01:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saJl2_oO4Ek&t=2s Check out this actual play on YouTube as they use the Conan set on Fantasy Grounds. They originally air on Twitch on GamersTable and so far 4 of the 6 episodes are on YouTube.