PDA

View Full Version : Minimal Computer Requirements?

QueueAK
December 26th, 2019, 01:29
This is a question for those of you who have been using the beta for a bit. I'm looking at setting up a client computer for my players to operate on my table TV. What are the realistic minimal requirements needed to run FG? I want the minimum so I can exceed it by a bit.

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2019, 01:38
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50373-FGU-Playtest-Overview

QueueAK
December 26th, 2019, 02:04
I saw that, but Windows 7, DX10, and SSE2 is not very useful. Those specs are anything socket 775, I was hoping for a more realistic recommendation from users.

If that's really the case, then virtually any Atom based $150 computer with 4gb of RAM will work?

LordEntrails
December 26th, 2019, 02:34
Yea, for the most part. You would really have to strive hard to buy a current computer that would not be sufficient for FG. It's just not that hardware intensive.

QueueAK
December 26th, 2019, 02:50
Great. I'm planning to buy a cheap fan-less i5 system off AliExpress to mount inside my portable map TV.

LordEntrails
December 26th, 2019, 02:54
The biggest problem (seemingly) people have with computers with FGC is modern graphic cards that don't like to run the old DirectX9. Since that shouldn't be an issue in FGU, we really don't know yet what's what.

Dynamic LoS might push some bounds, but I doubt it. Maybe when you add effects and have a large image things might push a bit. But, you're talking about a display computer, not the host, so all you really need to be able to do is push the display at a proper refresh rate.

damned
December 26th, 2019, 02:54
Ive seen people try and run it on an atom with 2GB RAM and a 1024x768px screen (+4yrs ago) and the experience was pretty awful!
Realistically a CPU with a CPUBenchmark speed of 3000+ and 4GB RAM but with FGU nearby CPU benchmark of 5000 and 8GB RAM would be a more happy benchmark.

pollux
December 27th, 2019, 03:53
I'm looking at setting up a client computer for my players to operate on my table TV. What are the realistic minimal requirements needed to run FG? I want the minimum so I can exceed it by a bit.

Now is a moderately dangerous time to purchase hardware for FG Unity with the goal of "exceeding the minimum hardware requirements by a bit". It's clear that FG Unity will not be super demanding as far as Unity games go... so most modern "gaming" systems should be fine... but if you're committing to low-power low-performance hardware with a tight-thermal envelope... it's not too late for HW requirements to change and violate your expectations, rendering your new computer useless for its intended purpose.