PDA

View Full Version : FGU install and update issues regarding local machine admin rights

Melrik
December 22nd, 2019, 07:19
I have setup 3 identical laptops with microsoft family members users accounts for my young children, and if I install FGU using admin rights while signed in under them it installs in the admin users (my user id) appdata folder. It created the shortcuts on the desktop for my user also. This is causing the start menu and desktop shortcuts to not be created under the logged in user, but my admin account that I used my credentials on to run the install. It is also causing the updater to fail and not create the new FGU exe after the first update.

So from this I see that I have to install and run FGU under a local admin account and install for each user.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2019, 22:20
Or after you install as your admin account, change permissions and add shortcuts. Though I don't do a lot of multi-user installs, it is the behavior I would expect. Maybe someone else knows another solution, but it should be pretty easy to change the permissions and add the shortcuts following your install with admin credentials.

Melrik
December 23rd, 2019, 05:01
I would have to change folder level permissions as the data is all in 'my' appdata folder under /users. I do not want to give them administrative access, but it appears that the install requires it and since the application doesn't install into a common directory rather than user based install I will have to decide some other way to play with my kids with the current setup.

damned
December 23rd, 2019, 06:50
Melrik

I would install it to a custom location and set a folder that all users can have access to.
I havent looked at FGU yet but FGC writes to HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the registry - if FGU is the same you might need to export that key and import it into each users profile?
This should probably be tagged as a bug.

Valatar
December 23rd, 2019, 15:11
FGU is the same, it also unfortunately writes to HKCU and makes things sort of a mess if you're trying to use it as a non-administrative account, as the installer writes everything in the admin account's registry. You can get around if you copy the registry keys, but that's not exactly a fix for the average user.

QueueAK
December 26th, 2019, 00:46
Why does FG install to the users profile instead of Program Files like most programs do? It makes no sense if you have to installed multiple times and won't work with not administrators.

damned
December 26th, 2019, 01:55
Why does FG install to the users profile instead of Program Files like most programs do? It makes no sense if you have to installed multiple times and won't work with not administrators.

fg installs the program to program files and the data to appdata