PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Edge of the Empire Community Ruleset issues when loading in UNITY.

punisher5150
December 22nd, 2019, 02:42
All, I've been away for several days, but I would like to report that Star Wars EotE Community Ruleset crashes when loading in UNITY. ianmward attempted to create a UNITY version but several of the buttons etc do not function. That version can be found at : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24151-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Age-of-Rebellion-Force-and-Destiny-v2-ruleset&p=458801&viewfull=1#post458801.

There are a few of us that are hoping this Ruleset can be made compatible with UNITY, or even be made CORERPG compatible, but since it is a community ruleset it doesn't have official support from FG. Trenloe has offered guidance if needed but he is committed to other rulesets and doesn't play Star Wars anymore. I am unfamiliar with the FG language and writing rulesets, so if anyone in the community has that skillset I believe there are still several users of it.

Talley Darkstar
December 22nd, 2019, 20:51
While I'm not programming capable, I'll be more than happy to help test. I'm very familiar with the ruleset for both this and Genesys.

Trenloe
December 23rd, 2019, 17:15
I've gone through and got the v2.1.1d FG Classic ruleset running in FG Unity. There are still a lot of issues to work through!

This first Unity version (v4.0.1) allows loading of the ruleset, sidebar button operation and dice rolling.

Download the ruleset from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-I-dDzLx_EFIY-p10T-u-WSdwqWbUljh

FG Unity loadable GM Encounter Library module: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E4a89hZ5JjlmblAkieKyrB5Pn5psrSZo

I've done very limited testing as I don't have time at the moment (I'll be on the road for the next week).

Things currently not present (based off very limited testing):

SW icons within text. This needs the FGC FGF font files converting to FGU TTF files.
Initiative rolling doesn't populate the init slot in the combat tracker.
With init slots populated with init value, next actor and actor selection doesn't work correctly.
Campaign images don't work yet (i.e. images put in the campaign \images directory aren't visible in the campaign data list). Images in modules (made for the Star Wars ruleset) are usable. [EDIT: This requires the Tokens window to be re-implemented as an Assets window for FGU similar to CoreRPG.]
Full FGU image functionality not operational. Needs converting to FGU <windowclass> definitions.

If anyone wants to try and tackle some of the above issues I'm sure we'd all be grateful! I'll have limited time to spend on this over the coming weeks, so if this ruleset is going to make it into Unity we'll need a community effort! Testing, logging of issues, taking ownership of issues, etc. - I don't have time to do all of this (much of this to be honest) - but I can assist with pointing people in the right direction to look at issues and start get fixes going...

Moon Wizard
December 26th, 2019, 21:48
As part of helping, please provide me with steps to recreate any issues.

I've updated Trenloe's list to modify campaign images issue, which is working as expected. As noted in the FGU known items thread, since image records can contain multiple layers which can have zero image assets, a single image asset, or multiple image assets; image records are not created automatically from images in the campaign images folder. They will automatically be added to the Assets window; and can be dragged and dropped onto Images campaign list to create an image record. The real issue is that the Assets window needs to be implemented in the ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Valatar
December 28th, 2019, 07:07
Thanks for the effort, Trenloe! I loaded the pak in and used it to open an old campaign. It said hello by popping up this warning list:

[12/28/2019 1:53:23 AM] [NOTICE] s'Registring tvsize slash handler'
[12/28/2019 1:53:23 AM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxviewlistmanager.lua: onInit()'
[12/28/2019 1:53:24 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Process Data File (Star Wars GM Encounter Library): ' ' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 73436, position 61.
[12/28/2019 1:53:24 AM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshactorlist'
[12/28/2019 1:53:25 AM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshactorlist'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_pointer' | s'button_pointer_down' | s'Colors' | s'pointerselection' | nil
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Colors'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_preferences' | s'button_preferences_down' | s'Preferences' | s'preferences' | nil
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Preferences'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_characters' | s'button_characters_down' | s'Characters' | s'charactersheetlist' | s'charsheet'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Characters'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_portraits' | s'button_portraits_down' | s'Portraits' | s'portraitselection' | nil
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Portraits'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_combat' | s'button_combat_down' | s'Initiative Tracker' | s'initiativetracker' | s'initiativetracker'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Initiative Tracker'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_light' | s'button_light_down' | s'Lighting' | s'lightingselection' | nil
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Lighting'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_tracker' | s'button_tracker_down' | s'Dicepool Tracker' | s'dieboxview' | nil
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Dicepool Tracker'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'Creating stack shortcut. iconNormal, iconPressed, tooltipText, className, recordName = ' | s'button_modules' | s'button_modules_down' | s'Modules' | s'moduleselection' | nil
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'stackitem: onInit. getName = ' | s'Modules'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
[12/28/2019 1:53:27 AM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [WARNING] Frame chatbox contains out-of-range values in TopRight.
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [WARNING] Frame chatbox contains out-of-range values in Right.
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [WARNING] Frame chatbox contains out-of-range values in BottomRight.
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [NOTICE] s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [NOTICE] s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = darksidechit'
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [NOTICE] s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
[12/28/2019 1:53:31 AM] [NOTICE] s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = darksidechit'

Aside from the warnings that popped up, the basic functionality all seemed good. Could pull open a character sheet, roll dice from skills, loaded maps.

This set of warnings came up when I clicked on the vehicle tab:

[12/28/2019 1:56:45 AM] [WARNING] template: Could not find template (categoryselectioncontrol) in class (vehiclelist)
[12/28/2019 1:56:46 AM] [WARNING] Frame scrollbox contains out-of-range values in TopRight.
[12/28/2019 1:56:46 AM] [WARNING] Frame scrollbox contains out-of-range values in Right.
[12/28/2019 1:56:46 AM] [WARNING] Frame scrollbox contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.
[12/28/2019 1:56:46 AM] [WARNING] Frame scrollbox contains out-of-range values in Bottom.
[12/28/2019 1:56:46 AM] [WARNING] Frame scrollbox contains out-of-range values in BottomRight.
[12/28/2019 1:56:55 AM] [WARNING] formattedtextcontrol: Could not find link icon () in control (description) in class (charsheet_combat_weapon)
[12/28/2019 1:56:55 AM] [WARNING] formattedtextcontrol: Could not find empty link icon () in control (description) in class (charsheet_combat_weapon)
[12/28/2019 1:56:55 AM] [WARNING] formattedtextcontrol: Could not find link icon () in control (description) in class (charsheet_combat_weapon)
[12/28/2019 1:56:55 AM] [WARNING] formattedtextcontrol: Could not find empty link icon () in control (description) in class (charsheet_combat_weapon)
[12/28/2019 1:56:55 AM] [NOTICE] Unknown resource string name : Starship - vehicleistics
[12/28/2019 1:57:08 AM] [NOTICE] s'Weapon roll from window class = charsheet_combat_weapon. window database node = vehicle.id-00002.inventory.id-00001'
[12/28/2019 1:57:19 AM] [NOTICE] s'dockitem: onclickRelease - classnamevalue, recordnamevalue = ' | s'itemlist' | s'items'
[12/28/2019 1:57:19 AM] [WARNING] template: Could not find template (categoryselectioncontrol) in class (itemlist)
[12/28/2019 1:57:23 AM] [NOTICE] s'dockitem: onclickRelease - classnamevalue, recordnamevalue = ' | s'library' | s''
[12/28/2019 1:57:23 AM] [NOTICE] s'library_section name = Characters'
[12/28/2019 1:57:23 AM] [NOTICE] s'library_section name = Equipment'
[12/28/2019 1:57:23 AM] [NOTICE] s'library_section name = Transportation'
[12/28/2019 1:57:29 AM] [NOTICE] s'Opening library item. windownode = library.equipment.entries.charactergear.entries.ad vancedfleshcamo@Star Wars Player Library'
[12/28/2019 1:57:29 AM] [WARNING] formattedtextcontrol: Could not find link icon () in control (main_description_description) in class (itemmain)
[12/28/2019 1:57:29 AM] [WARNING] formattedtextcontrol: Could not find empty link icon () in control (main_description_description) in class (itemmain)
[12/28/2019 1:57:36 AM] [NOTICE] s'dockitem: onclickRelease - classnamevalue, recordnamevalue = ' | s'imagelist' | s'images'
[12/28/2019 1:57:36 AM] [WARNING] template: Could not find template (categoryselectioncontrol) in class (imagelist)

And these popped up when I right-clicked on a map:

[12/28/2019 1:57:45 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesize)
[12/28/2019 1:57:45 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizeoriginal)
[12/28/2019 1:57:45 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] radial: Could not find menu icon (imagesizesmall)

And weirdly, though it worked the first time I tried it, subsequent attempts to roll the dice pool by clicking on the dice box and dragging towards the chat box provoked these errors:

[12/28/2019 2:05:06 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:27: setDatabaseNode: Invalid parameter

Rolling by assembling the dice pool then clicking the checkbox in the dice box worked fine.

Moon Wizard
December 28th, 2019, 09:16
For the NOTICE messages,
* They are Debug statements from the ruleset code, and can be ignored.

For the WARNING messages:
* The "categoryselectioncontrol" should silently fail, as it is deprecated in FGU. That will be fixed in next release. The ruleset will not be able to support groups/categories in lists until rewritten to use something else (like CoreRPG).
* The frame warnings indicate that the frame regions defined are larger than the frame graphic size; but do not prevent usage.
* The formattedtext missing icon warnings indicate that no link icons are defined for those formatted text fields. (These can be defined globally using the textsettings.icon tag, similar to CoreRPG.)

For the ERROR messages:
* The image size radial menu icon errors are caused by new icons used by FGU. I will add fallback options in the next release for those menu icons that match icons defined in older rulesets.
* The "Process Data File (Star Wars GM Encounter Library)" error is most likely caused by an incorrectly escaped ampersand in that module. The module will need to be updated so that ampersands are correctly escaped in the XML (i.e. "&amp;"). (A text editor with XML validation capability (such as Notepad++ using XML Tools plugin) will catch those.)
* For the dice pool error, I am not familiar enough with the ruleset or game system to recreate this. I will need specific step by step instructions to recreate (as if I'm a totally new user).

Thanks,
JPG

Valatar
December 29th, 2019, 01:19
No problem! The Star Wars/Genesys dice take the place of the usual dice in the lower left.

You make a dice pool for a given roll by putting in certain dice that reflect the ability of the person, the difficulty of what they're doing, and other factors. Just for example I'll use three green, one yellow, two purple, a red, and a blue. You can either auto-add dice from the character sheet for a given skill, or do it manually by double-clicking each die to add to the pool. It then looks like so:

Normally you can click and drag the blue bar up into the chat box and it will turn into dice and then roll the pool you have assembled there. However FGU throws the error I listed instead of doing the dice roll.

sevrick
December 29th, 2019, 03:19
Thanks for working on this. :)

punisher5150
January 12th, 2020, 04:45
I was going through Trenloe's list and was curious about the Fonts issue. I am pretty clueless on how all this works. After reviewing the topic at:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45274-Trying-to-understand-fonts-in-FG,

I know that FGC uses a proprietary font system, and FGU will be using .ttfs. I have found an .otf version of the EotE fonts at the following location:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhihmkb0jsipdtw/EotESymbol-Regular-PLUS.otf?dl=0

Not sure if it is helpful, but figured I'd at least post it here and see.

punisher5150
January 12th, 2020, 09:01
Finally got around to testing some stuff today. I experienced some of the problems listed above, but also had an issue with the story window (I don't think it's been mentioned.)

Links to other story elements doesn't seem to work for me. I made a couple of test story links and linked the 2nd to the 1st in the text. The link square was not visible, and there was nothing to click. Clicking in the blank spot where the link icon should be was non responsive.

All of the startup warnings were related to missing TTF fonts, which was expected, and two warnings regarding images, also expected based on the posts above. Images from an old module worked from the images window, but the links in the story window were not present (see the issue above: no links in the story window were visible.) Also with an old homebrew SWEotE module made in FGC the story window would not scroll up or down or windows with a large amount of text in them.

punisher5150
January 14th, 2020, 04:25
Id really like to work on the FONT issue. I've found the font folder in the ruleset and the associated base.xml. Experimenting with it, I've dropped a couple of different ttf fonts into the folder and tried to reference them in the base.xml doc insteag of the fgf font references. For instance Ichanged several of them to calibri.ttf. However when I load the ruleset fails to load with an error:

[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error loading ruleset XML file. [Star Wars EotE] [graphics/fonts/base.xml]: 'name' is a duplicate attribute name. Line 4, position 46.
[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene exiting.
[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (customdie) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (customdie) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.

If anyone can help with how to fix the fonts its greatly apperciated.

LordEntrails
January 14th, 2020, 05:15
Id really like to work on the FONT issue. I've found the font folder in the ruleset and the associated base.xml. Experimenting with it, I've dropped a couple of different ttf fonts into the folder and tried to reference them in the base.xml doc insteag of the fgf font references. For instance Ichanged several of them to calibri.ttf. However when I load the ruleset fails to load with an error:

[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error loading ruleset XML file. [Star Wars EotE] [graphics/fonts/base.xml]: 'name' is a duplicate attribute name. Line 4, position 46.
[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene exiting.
[1/13/2020 8:23:49 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.

If anyone can help with how to fix the fonts its greatly apperciated.
The first things would be to look at the file "graphics/fonts/base.xml"
Then look on line 4, see the attribute 'name'? It's duplicate. Then do a Find or Find in Files for the same and see if you can figure out where else it is used. Then figure out which of the two you can delete or rename.

Then see if that works and what errors happen next. Track down one at a time :O

punisher5150
January 15th, 2020, 02:03
OK so I was pretty sure that was the problem since I was using the same font for multiple items listed in the base.xml, but I was basing the naming structure on the way the existing ttf fonts were named. If I want to use the same font for multiple items in the ruleset that means I would have to name the font simply somethng like: calibri_1, calibri_2, etc etc? to avoid the error? That seems like the simple fix.

LordEntrails
January 15th, 2020, 15:28
Sorry, that's beyond my knowledge, but, I would not think so....

I assume (!) That you are defining it twice and only need to define e it once, then everywhere else just reference or use it. I only poke at code though, so I'm stretching here.

Hopefully one of the folks who actually knows code can clarify.

Trenloe
January 15th, 2020, 15:36
OK so I was pretty sure that was the problem since I was using the same font for multiple items listed in the base.xml, but I was basing the naming structure on the way the existing ttf fonts were named. If I want to use the same font for multiple items in the ruleset that means I would have to name the font simply somethng like: calibri_1, calibri_2, etc etc? to avoid the error? That seems like the simple fix.
You should be able to use the same TTF font for multiple FG <font> definitions.

Please post the graphics/fonts/base.xml file that raises the error.

punisher5150
January 16th, 2020, 01:50
You should be able to use the same TTF font for multiple FG <font> definitions.

Please post the graphics/fonts/base.xml file that raises the error.

Let me play around with the information you and Lord Entrails posted for a couple of days and see what I can do. I am trying to understand how the coding works. If I still can't figure it out I will post the file for some input. Thanks! I want to do my part in keeping this ruleset alive depsite the bad news coming from FFG!

punisher5150
January 17th, 2020, 19:46
OK so I've gotten the program to load with no font errors. Not sure if they are all working though. It seems like italics and bold selections in the story windows (cntrl b and cntrl i) do not work. And when highlighting a word there is no option to make it bold or italic through the radial menu. It probably needs some cleaning up. The next question: does anyone know what fonts were used to create the .fgf fonts for FG Classic? (I simply used some fonts as a test font). If so I believe I can duplicate the look of the original classic story windows etc.

That being said, the links do not work from the story windows (or other windows as far as I can tell.) Any idea how to fix those?

Attached is the base.xml file from the graphics/font folder. One note is that I left the fgf references for now. But I know those won't be needed anymore and can be removed.

The fonts I used (ITC-Symbol etc etc) are located in the graphics/fonts/ITC_Symbol subfolder. I can upload that folder if needed.

Valatar
January 17th, 2020, 22:54
Just as a follow-up, I tested the dice rolling again today and was unable to get the error to occur, it looks like whatever was behind that problem has been handled in a FGU update.

damned
January 18th, 2020, 00:10
OK so I've gotten the program to load with no font errors. Not sure if they are all working though. It seems like italics and bold selections in the story windows (cntrl b and cntrl i) do not work. And when highlighting a word there is no option to make it bold or italic through the radial menu. It probably needs some cleaning up. The next question: does anyone know what fonts were used to create the .fgf fonts for FG Classic? (I simply used some fonts as a test font). If so I believe I can duplicate the look of the original classic story windows etc.

That being said, the links do not work from the story windows (or other windows as far as I can tell.) Any idea how to fix those?

Attached is the base.xml file from the graphics/font folder. One note is that I left the fgf references for now. But I know those won't be needed anymore and can be removed.

The fonts I used (ITC-Symbol etc etc) are located in the graphics/fonts/ITC_Symbol subfolder. I can upload that folder if needed.

What you would likely do with the fonts is start with Noto Sans and edit the font character set to add in the special dice symbols over the lease used characters. At some point this will create an issue but it seems unavoidable really.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2020, 00:27
What you would likely do with the fonts is start with Noto Sans and edit the font character set to add in the special dice symbols over the lease used characters. At some point this will create an issue but it seems unavoidable really.
Use the same character codes as the FGF FG Classic fonts so that data will be compatible between the two version.

punisher5150
January 18th, 2020, 00:49
Post deleted and clarified in the two posts below.

punisher5150
January 18th, 2020, 00:59
Just as a follow-up, I tested the dice rolling again today and was unable to get the error to occur, it looks like whatever was behind that problem has been handled in a FGU update.

When adding setback or boost die to the die pool, I am getting the following error:

[1/17/2020 4:57:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:236: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)

The entire script follows, but I believe the notices are just information and don't mean something is broken (correct me if I am wrong). The errors however are a different matter. TThe error occurs each time a setback or boost is added. In the case of the script below, I added two setback and two boost.
[1/17/2020 4:57:24 PM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = sendplayerdicepool'
[1/17/2020 4:57:24 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: handleSendPlayerDicepool. msguser = , msgidentity = GM'
[1/17/2020 4:57:24 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: handleSendPlayerDicepool. msguser = , msgidentity = GM'
[1/17/2020 4:57:24 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dChallenge,dChallenge,dDifficulty,dProficiency,dPr oficiency,dAbility'
[1/17/2020 4:57:24 PM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = sendplayerdicepool'
[1/17/2020 4:57:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
[1/17/2020 4:57:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dChallenge,dChallenge,dDifficulty,dProficiency,dPr oficiency,dAbility,dBoost'
[1/17/2020 4:57:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = sendplayerdicepool'
[1/17/2020 4:57:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:236: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)
[1/17/2020 4:57:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: handleSendPlayerDicepool. msguser = , msgidentity = GM'
[1/17/2020 4:57:29 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
[1/17/2020 4:57:29 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dChallenge,dChallenge,dDifficulty,dProficiency,dPr oficiency,dAbility,dBoost,dBoost'
[1/17/2020 4:57:29 PM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = sendplayerdicepool'
[1/17/2020 4:57:29 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:236: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)
[1/17/2020 4:57:29 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: handleSendPlayerDicepool. msguser = , msgidentity = GM'
[1/17/2020 4:57:31 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
[1/17/2020 4:57:31 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dChallenge,dChallenge,dDifficulty,dProficiency,dPr oficiency,dAbility,dBoost,dBoost,dSetback'
[1/17/2020 4:57:31 PM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = sendplayerdicepool'
[1/17/2020 4:57:31 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:236: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)
[1/17/2020 4:57:31 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: handleSendPlayerDicepool. msguser = , msgidentity = GM'
[1/17/2020 4:57:32 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
[1/17/2020 4:57:32 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dChallenge,dChallenge,dDifficulty,dProficiency,dPr oficiency,dAbility,dBoost,dBoost,dSetback,dSetback '
[1/17/2020 4:57:32 PM] [NOTICE] s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = sendplayerdicepool'
[1/17/2020 4:57:32 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:236: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)
[1/17/2020 4:57:32 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: handleSendPlayerDicepool. msguser = , msgidentity = GM'

punisher5150
January 18th, 2020, 01:00
Also, some die rolls result in the images in the chat window having numbers overlaying the die symbols. More of a nuisance, but still a visible error. See attached image:

Trenloe
January 18th, 2020, 01:05
Also, some die rolls result in the images in the chat window having numbers overlaying the die symbols. More of a nuisance, but still a visible error. See attached image:

Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52853-lt-die-gt-name-no-longer-accepts-period

punisher5150
January 19th, 2020, 02:03
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress

Johniba is developing a genesys ruleset based on corerpg which might be a better way to get Star Wars over time FGU than reworking our current ruleset. Based on the thread above it seems like he’s got dice issues etc worked out. Do you think it’s worth waiting? Or maybe combine efforts?

punisher5150
January 19th, 2020, 17:15
Use the same character codes as the FGF FG Classic fonts so that data will be compatible between the two version.

Trenloe, does that mean that Noto Sans was the base font used for the ruleset? Additionally which font name would be the one that needs the fonts edited for the die symbols? Is it <font name="sheettext"> or am I way off in understanding the base.xml for fonts?

Mortar
January 19th, 2020, 18:07

Just as an FYI ALT codes don't work in Unity.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2020, 22:45
Trenloe, does that mean that Noto Sans was the base font used for the ruleset? Addiitonally which font name would be the one that needs the fonts edited for the die symbols? Is it <font name="sheettext"> or am I way off in understanding the base.xml for fonts?
I don't know what the original font style used to create the FG fonts was.

The only font that has the SW symbols in is regular.fgf

Moon Wizard
January 20th, 2020, 03:12
Just remember not to change any of the codes in the default text fonts (only change fonts used for die results), or you will have problems with themes.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
January 20th, 2020, 10:55
I understand where MW is coming from, and he's trying to avoid issues in the future where people might want to create themes with different fonts.

For games like Star Wars:Edge of the Empire, the dice symbols are part of so much of the rules text that it's difficult to not have them in general fonts used in certain fields of the ruleset. Without these the text really looks crappy (IMO) as there has to be normal text substitutes used. I know it's just ascetics, but it's really a key part of the flavour and feel of the ruleset. Sure, it will have issues if people want to use different fonts in themes and they don't adapt the fonts to include the symbols (whether they're not aware, don't know how, or don't want to). People make themes to adjust the look and feel of the FG interface. For games like this, with custom dice symbols, these symbols are very much part of the look and feel - and, IMO, add so much to immersion in the specific ruleset being played.

punisher5150
January 22nd, 2020, 02:40
Since there seems to be somewhat advanced progress on a CoreRPG version of Genesys, which should more easily transfer to the FG UNITY standard, I am going to hold off duplicating any effort with getting the fonts up to speed on the existing ruleset for UNITY. I think it makes more sense having a ruleset that is more compatible through Core RPG than an extremely customized version that might require a lot of fixes to get working in UNITY. If the CoreRPG version doesn't come to fruition, we can always go back and reattempt the original legacy SW EotE ruleset! Since I am only able to work on this a couple of hours a week anyway, and I am not a software code expert, it is the best path forward for me. I was barely scratching the surface of understanding how the fonts worked anyway. If you are working on the legacy ruleset, by all means please continue if it interests you! Good luck! And thanks a BAZILLION to Trenloe and team for giving us the legacy ruleset, which gave us several years of FG Star Wars. Here's hoping UNITY brings a new era for the ruleset and Star Wars roleplaying!

BTW the Genesys CoreRPG project is at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress

punisher5150
January 24th, 2020, 15:53
Since there seems to be somewhat advanced progress on a CoreRPG version of Genesys, which should more easily transfer to the FG UNITY standard, I am going to hold off duplicating any effort with getting the fonts up to speed on the existing ruleset for UNITY. I think it makes more sense having a ruleset that is more compatible through Core RPG than an extremely customized version that might require a lot of fixes to get working in UNITY. If the CoreRPG version doesn't come to fruition, we can always go back and reattempt the original legacy SW EotE ruleset! Since I am only able to work on this a couple of hours a week anyway, and I am not a software code expert, it is the best path forward for me. I was barely scratching the surface of understanding how the fonts worked anyway. If you are working on the legacy ruleset, by all means please continue if it interests you! Good luck! And thanks a BAZILLION to Trenloe and team for giving us the legacy ruleset, which gave us several years of FG Star Wars. Here's hoping UNITY brings a new era for the ruleset and Star Wars roleplaying!

BTW the Genesys CoreRPG project is at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress

It appears that the Genesys Core RPG ruleset Beta is working in UNITY now (see link above). It still has some bugs, but it is working!

johniba
January 28th, 2020, 04:48
It appears that the Genesys Core RPG ruleset Beta is working in UNITY now (see link above). It still has some bugs, but it is working!

Hi

I am the one developing the CoreRPG Genesys
Yes the Ruleset is also running in unity
Right now I am working on npc, items and the talents database

One thing I can tell is that is feels like it would be very easy for me to create an extension to include back Star Wars in it

The dicepool code I got from the Sw Ruleset, and I did some changes but thinking that it could be used back with SW, when I started modifying and updating it, I did not remove SW only code

The rest I am doing from scratch, so I did not reuse any automation from SW, I am using core code

So in the next few days, let me prepare an extension, if someone would like to test it and let me know if it will work, we could improve on it and maybe that way keep only one code instead of two developments

Another option would be to extract part of what I did, and maybe work on the Star Wars Ruleset if you prefer

Or an even better idea, think I can create a sw Ruleset that imports Genesys (just like how it works importing core)

MoNeart
January 28th, 2020, 15:55
I don't know what the original font style used to create the FG fonts was.

The only font that has the SW symbols in is regular.fgf

Here is an OTF with the symbols...

Trenloe
January 28th, 2020, 17:00
Hi

I am the one developing the CoreRPG Genesys

So in the next few days, let me prepare an extension, if someone would like to test it and let me know if it will work, we could improve on it and maybe that way keep only one code instead of two developments

Another option would be to extract part of what I did, and maybe work on the Star Wars Ruleset if you prefer

Or an even better idea, think I can create a sw Ruleset that imports Genesys (just like how it works importing core)
Thanks so much for taking on developing this based on CoreRPG. I'd keep giving you rep, but I need to spread it around first!

Layered rulesets are very similar to extensions - in terms of overriding ruleset code and config. The main differences between an extension and a ruleset are as follows:
1) A ruleset allows you to release DLC (modules and extensions) specifically tagged to be opened only in that ruleset. The ruleset can be set to also allowing opening of modules and extensions for other rulesets using the importfrom (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/importinfo.xcp) tag.
2) Extensions are specific to ruleset/s and can be turned on and off without disrupting the base campaign data - so they're good for setting changes or options to a base ruleset. However, they don't provide a restriction of which extensions or modules can be opened.

You could go either way with this. If you think there could be modules that would be shared across Genesys and Star Wars then make the Star Wars code changes in an extension. This would also be the case if you think GMs might want to use an existing campaign they've played in for a while a shift it from Genesys to Star Wars or vice versa. If you think you'd like to keep them separate then go with a ruleset.

In the end, either decision is not a dead end - you can get around either restriction with the importfrom setting or by manually editing the campaign ruleset tag.

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 01:35
Thanks so much for taking on developing this based on CoreRPG. I'd keep giving you rep, but I need to spread it around first!

Layered rulesets are very similar to extensions - in terms of overriding ruleset code and config. The main differences between an extension and a ruleset are as follows:
1) A ruleset allows you to release DLC (modules and extensions) specifically tagged to be opened only in that ruleset. The ruleset can be set to also allowing opening of modules and extensions for other rulesets using the importfrom (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/importinfo.xcp) tag.
2) Extensions are specific to ruleset/s and can be turned on and off without disrupting the base campaign data - so they're good for setting changes or options to a base ruleset. However, they don't provide a restriction of which extensions or modules can be opened.

You could go either way with this. If you think there could be modules that would be shared across Genesys and Star Wars then make the Star Wars code changes in an extension. This would also be the case if you think GMs might want to use an existing campaign they've played in for a while a shift it from Genesys to Star Wars or vice versa. If you think you'd like to keep them separate then go with a ruleset.

In the end, either decision is not a dead end - you can get around either restriction with the importfrom setting or by manually editing the campaign ruleset tag.

Hi Trenloe, thanks!

Yes, as soon as I have basic genesys running, i will do tests with SW and see which would be the best way....

johniba
January 29th, 2020, 01:40
Here is an OTF with the symbols...

I have created a new set of fonts (ttf and fgf) for both star wars and genesys.
The fonts work fine in MS Word, and in regular FG, but unfortunatelly in Unity, several of the symbols look like their ink spilled out.

I dont know at this point if it is something i should pursue (maybe it is an issue in FG Unity, since it is working in other apps)

You can have a look at the font in the link below. I also attached an image showing the symbols and their code
I tried to make them be in the same place as the original...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Tj8d4W8IDmzhnIV05zpovSPngueg9_F/view?usp=sharing

pindercarl
January 29th, 2020, 14:05
I have created a new set of fonts (ttf and fgf) for both star wars and genesys.
The fonts work fine in MS Word, and in regular FG, but unfortunatelly in Unity, several of the symbols look like their ink spilled out.

I dont know at this point if it is something i should pursue (maybe it is an issue in FG Unity, since it is working in other apps)

You can have a look at the font in the link below. I also attached an image showing the symbols and their code
I tried to make them be in the same place as the original...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Tj8d4W8IDmzhnIV05zpovSPngueg9_F/view?usp=sharing

I have not had a chance to look at the font in FGU, however, the likely culprit is that some of the paths in the characters are reversed. The type library for FGU is not as forgiving as the native OS libraries or FreeType (which is used byFGC). FontForge will throw warnings when you generate the TTF.

Other notes:
1) The characters have been added to OpenSans. The default FGU font is NotoSans, as OpenSans does not contain the full UTF-16 character set.
2) The fontname should be modified to prevent conflicts with the original font.3136731368

johniba
January 30th, 2020, 01:43
I have not had a chance to look at the font in FGU, however, the likely culprit is that some of the paths in the characters are reversed. The type library for FGU is not as forgiving as the native OS libraries or FreeType (which is used byFGC). FontForge will throw warnings when you generate the TTF.

Other notes:
1) The characters have been added to OpenSans. The default FGU font is NotoSans, as OpenSans does not contain the full UTF-16 character set.
2) The fontname should be modified to prevent conflicts with the original font.3136731368

Ah I probably uploaded the wrong version, as the last one I did update the name, but as you will notice, I didnt know anything about editing ttf files or creating glyphs, so that should be my bad.
It would be nice to have someone with experience with that, to work on the fonts.
If I have some time I could study maybe enough to do it, but i have my hands full at the moment unfortunatelly

If you would have suggestions on tutorials on how to properly do it, and what tools i should use (i used Font Forge), I would really appreciate.

the8bitdeity
April 13th, 2020, 18:28
Hello, just saw this today since I'm looking to run an EotE campaign remotely for the foreseeable future. After using DnD Beyond for sometime, I absolutely need my content collated and searchable. I've got Fantasy Grounds Unity up and running (I'm on a Catalina Mac so I cannot use FGC), and I'm learning how to use the FGU interface with the Unity Mod. I assume that due to licensing reasons only the ruleset is shareable, but not the content. If anyone could point me towards a post that explains how to add content to my personal library (I have every book) I would be grateful. Ideally if I can edit it outside of the FGU interface I would be even happier since I'm a software dev by trade and text editors are my natural environment.

Trenloe
April 13th, 2020, 18:34
Hello, just saw this today since I'm looking to run an EotE campaign remotely for the foreseeable future. After using DnD Beyond for sometime, I absolutely need my content collated and searchable. I've got Fantasy Grounds Unity up and running (I'm on a Catalina Mac so I cannot use FGC), and I'm learning how to use the FGU interface with the Unity Mod. I assume that due to licensing reasons only the ruleset is shareable, but not the content. If anyone could point me towards a post that explains how to add content to my personal library (I have every book) I would be grateful. Ideally if I can edit it outside of the FGU interface I would be even happier since I'm a software dev by trade and text editors are my natural environment.
Information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24150-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Library-modules&p=443159&viewfull=1#post443159

There are some existing modules with base data: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24150-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Library-modules

Are you planning on using the under development CoreRPG based Genesys ruleset? Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress

the8bitdeity
April 13th, 2020, 18:36
Information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24150-Star-Wars-Edge-of-the-Empire-Library-modules&p=443159&viewfull=1#post443159

Are you planning on using the under development CoreRPG based Genesys ruleset? Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress

Being a n00b I'm willing to use whatever the perceived "correct" mod is to use. I have both the Genesys one and the one linked in this thread.

If my goals are starting a new campaign with new players, what would you suggest? Is one a "legacy" mod and the other made ground up with new semantics / concepts?

Trenloe
April 13th, 2020, 18:40
There are still issues with the code conversion started in this thread.

The Genesys ruleset is still under development, but some people are gaming with it now. There is not currently a Star Wars extension for that - but the author has said their will be.

Like any community undertaking it may develop in fits and starts. But, if you're set on using Unity, then you will probably want to try to use the ruleset under development by @johniba.

Another option, is to try to get FG Classic running on your Mac - people have got it running under Parallels, and use the older ruleset and data modules.

Bifford
July 20th, 2020, 19:38
Heyo.

I've just downloaded the .pak from earlier in the thread.

The ruleset takes about three times as long to load up as any other I have and the console chucks up a massive amount of errors. Once in none of the buttons on the right work (from the mini ones at the top to the text ones down the side), basically it is unusable.

Log attached.

ndmoda01
August 29th, 2020, 02:31
I added the ruleset and started a test game but lots of long errors pop up in the console. I can close the console, but whenever I try to roll a die, the console pops up again with a fresh batch of errors.

It's pretty likely that I didn't configure it correctly or didn't the library correctly. I can't seem to get the player library to load (I'm not even sure which version to use since there are multiples posted here).

The interface looks really cool and I think it has a lot of potential but I can't figure out how to configure it or stop all of the errors from popping up.

johniba
August 29th, 2020, 03:58
I added the ruleset and started a test game but lots of long errors pop up in the console. I can close the console, but whenever I try to roll a die, the console pops up again with a fresh batch of errors.

It's pretty likely that I didn't configure it correctly or didn't the library correctly. I can't seem to get the player library to load (I'm not even sure which version to use since there are multiples posted here).

The interface looks really cool and I think it has a lot of potential but I can't figure out how to configure it or stop all of the errors from popping up.

Are you trying to load it in FantasyGrounds Unity?
As far as I know, there is no current work updating it to FGU
I have looked at the code since I was working on Genesys ruleset, and to be frank, it is not worth it trying to patch it to work on unity

Having said that, I am almost done with Genesys (maybe a couple of weeks to finish version 1.0) and I WILL create a new ruleset for Star Wars, compatible with the latest FG features from CORE, and also compatible with Unity.
Once I have finished Genesys, I expect I have a working Star Wars ruleset in a week or so

I would suggest use the ruleset in FGClassic and wait a bit, I promise I will make a nice ruleset

ndmoda01
August 29th, 2020, 16:40
Yes, I'm on FGU. I forgot to mention.

I don't have a FGC license because I thought that FGU was the way to go, but I'm running into a lot of bugs, missing features, and compatibility problems. I'm not sure FGU was worth it.

That's really cool of you to be working on the Genesys and then Star Wars. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

johniba
August 30th, 2020, 05:29
Yes, I'm on FGU. I forgot to mention.

I don't have a FGC license because I thought that FGU was the way to go, but I'm running into a lot of bugs, missing features, and compatibility problems. I'm not sure FGU was worth it.

That's really cool of you to be working on the Genesys and then Star Wars. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

I dont think you made a bad choice. Sure some old rulesets will not work, and you were unlucky star wars is one of them, but in the long run, it was the best choice.

I will make sure i have a working ruleset soon for star wars, and i will let you all know

SgtPrylo
September 6th, 2020, 13:25
I dont think you made a bad choice. Sure some old rulesets will not work, and you were unlucky star wars is one of them, but in the long run, it was the best choice.

I will make sure i have a working ruleset soon for star wars, and i will let you all know

I am a long time SW EoE GM and I'm stoked to play this on FGU! I'll def be watching for this - although I admit I'll need help loading it up when released.

cidostar
October 2nd, 2020, 13:56
Hai there everyone. I am offering my services to help get FGU working for the Star Wars FFG. I noticed that there are many issues currently, but I have programming experience and am willing to roll my sleeves up and get things working.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2020, 14:13
Hai there everyone. I am offering my services to help get FGU working for the Star Wars FFG. I noticed that there are many issues currently, but I have programming experience and am willing to roll my sleeves up and get things working.
Welcome to the FG forums!

I suggest you reach out in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53302-Genesys-(FFG-RPG)-work-in-progress