PDA

View Full Version : When adding custom items... what are the data fields???

antoneagle
December 22nd, 2019, 00:55
When you add a custom item, a window pops up with many data fields... some are obvious... some are not. In order, from top to bottom... we have...

<an unlabeled blank field that is presumably the name>
Type
Sub Type
Non-ID Name
Notes (obvious)
TL (obvious)
Cost (obvious)
Kg (obvious)
Type
Skill (obvious)

Please fully and completely describe what each of the not obvious fields are (documentation which should already exist)... especially the two fields named "Type" and the one called Sub Type.

Thanks.

esmdev
December 22nd, 2019, 01:43
It is more likely that you will get a response from MadBeardMan posting in the MGT2 v1.1.0 thread so that he gets a notification of your posting than to create a new one that he may or may not see. He's got a lot of projects and a finite amount of time.

MadBeardMan
December 22nd, 2019, 11:20
When you add a custom item, a window pops up with many data fields... some are obvious... some are not. In order, from top to bottom... we have...

<an unlabeled blank field that is presumably the name>
Type
Sub Type
Non-ID Name
Notes (obvious)
TL (obvious)
Cost (obvious)
Kg (obvious)
Type
Skill (obvious)

Please fully and completely describe what each of the not obvious fields are (documentation which should already exist)... especially the two fields named "Type" and the one called Sub Type.

Thanks.

Hi Antoneagle,

I'll do this for you a bit later today, however you can do it yourself easily enough. Add an item to a character, then save the session (or quit FG) look into the campaign folder for the DB.XML and open it up, you'll find the item fields for that class of item saved away.

Please explain what you mean by 'documentation which should already exist'.

Cheers,
MBM

Andraax
December 22nd, 2019, 12:40
You know, you can look at some existing items to see what those fields are.

antoneagle
December 27th, 2019, 20:08
Andrax... no... you can't. Those field labels don't exist after the item is created.

So, again, it's not clear what all these data fields are. And again, I acknowledge that some of these are obvious. But, some are not. Someone, please clarify exactly what these fields are?

Andraax
December 27th, 2019, 21:02
Andrax... no... you can't. Those field labels don't exist after the item is created.

So, again, it's not clear what all these data fields are. And again, I acknowledge that some of these are obvious. But, some are not. Someone, please clarify exactly what these fields are?

Sure they do. Just unlock the item (if it's item from the book module, make a copy first, then you can unlock it.)

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/TravellerItems.png

antoneagle
December 29th, 2019, 17:36
Ah... your screen shot might explain why we are disagreeing. It looks like you're running the MgT1 ruleset. I'm running the MgT2 ruleset. In the MgT2 ruleset, there is no lock/unlock icon... so again, I can't see these fields. See attached screen shot...

Also, I would add, and have mentioned elsewhere, that we DO need the capability to edit the stock items, skills, etc. There should be nothing in the ruleset that is locked out.

Andraax
December 29th, 2019, 17:45
Ah... your screen shot might explain why we are disagreeing. It looks like you're running the MgT1 ruleset. I'm running the MgT2 ruleset. In the MgT2 ruleset, there is no lock/unlock icon... so again, I can't see these fields. See attached screen shot...

Also, I would add, and have mentioned elsewhere, that we DO need the capability to edit the stock items, skills, etc. There should be nothing in the ruleset that is locked out.

Did you make a copy of the item using drag and drop first, then try to unlock the copy?

esmdev
December 29th, 2019, 18:48

The original items are locked and cannot be edited. The reason for this is to ensure that the baseline item is always unchanged and available. It makes sense to ensure that you don't lose the ability to backtrack and start over again if you need to.

That said, you can click the item in the items menu, say advance combat rifle and just drag it down a space and it will create a unlockable clone of the item that can then be edited as you desire.

Then you can create a sub-group (like Local Game) and drag your customized items into the new sub-group.

Tell your players to only use items from that sub-group and to ignore the MGT2 stuff.

Andraax
December 29th, 2019, 18:56
Tell your players to only use items from that sub-group and to ignore the MGT2 stuff.

Or, export them as a module, and give your players access to that module, but not the original items. Also, making a module with your custom items means that you can use those items in multiple campaigns without having to make the changes in each campaign.

antoneagle
January 1st, 2020, 23:43
Thanks all, we finally got this working correctly!

We can now make both custom skills and custom items that use those skills, and have them link up correctly on the character sheet. The key was knowing that you have to drag-and-drop both skills and items, and edit those copies.

That said, I'm not sure how we were supposed to know how to do this? The drag-and-drop mechanism is not exactly intuitive, and there isn't anything obvious saying that you need to do that to get this stuff working. It sounds like a lot of you just know this from the MgT1 ruleset... but there doesn't seem to be any documentation for the MgT2 ruleset... so that's why I've been asking so many questions (and was so frustrated).

It seems to me that for the price we paid, there SHOULD be some kind of documentation... even if its just a copy that comes with the MgT1 ruleset. Or, maybe we should have a sticky post at the top of this forum, where the developer and users can document these kinds of tricks. I think it would be good to make it so the next newbie doesn't have to go through what we did.

Anyway, thanks again for the assist. All's well that ends well.

esmdev
January 2nd, 2020, 00:40
Actually the drag and drop is a Fantasy Grounds thing it isn't actually exclusive to Traveller. DLC content is locked to prevent accidentally nuking templates that are hard to fix. So the default for Fantasy Grounds is clone an item in order to make changes while preserving the default template.

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2020, 00:53
Indeed, drag and drop to make a copy is not exclusive to any ruleset. See the user manual or the Wiki for general FG useage.

Andraax
January 2nd, 2020, 00:55
It seems to me that for the price we paid, there SHOULD be some kind of documentation... even if its just a copy that comes with the MgT1 ruleset. Or, maybe we should have a sticky post at the top of this forum, where the developer and users can document these kinds of tricks. I think it would be good to make it so the next newbie doesn't have to go through what we did.

Did you read the FG User Manual?

https://s3.silent-tower.org/images/UserManual.png

LordNanoc
January 4th, 2020, 15:38
As stated above by Adraax, there is a Manual of FG (I also didn't read it, just browsed it). In the ruleset you've also got everything about MGT. And if you still got special questions left about how FG handles things, there is a sh*tload of Youtube videos you can consult.

Everything else, wants and worries, bugs and features are covered here ;)

have fun!