PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't dice 3D accelerated?

elcman
December 22nd, 2019, 00:10
I've got a nice GPU. I pick a d4 and it chugs across the screen like it's the 90s. Is there a way to enable 3D acceleration for dice? And, if not... why?

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2019, 01:41
The dice currently use DirectX 9. So they will use GPU acceleration, but many current graphics drivers have trouble supporting DX9. So, lower the settings of your graphics card settings for FG. Turn off advanced features and things like anti-aliasing until you get better performance. You can search the forums for more details.

The 3D engine for dice is being totally rewritten as part of Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU). It is currently in closed beta testing for those that backed the Kickstarter last May.

Paperclipkiller
December 23rd, 2019, 04:46
I've noticed dice will slow down the longer my computer has been on for. FG doesn't even have to be open. If my computer was on for a few days, including being put in Sleep Mode, the dice will chug when I open up FG. A quick computer restart always fixes the issue however.

The dice chugging from my computer being on for an extended period will also affect my players rolls. They will see their rolls chug unless I do a restart beforehand. I've tested this with another computer directly myself. So it may not be GPU related completely.