PDA

View Full Version : Cannot remove/reduce prepared spell quantity

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 13:13
I am using the D&D Classic (2e) ruleset and have bought the full bundle so all of the books and several modules are loaded. For both Characters and NPCs, I can increase the number prepared next to a spell (right arrow), but cannot decrease the number. Casting the spell does not decrease the number either, nor can I type a 0 into the field. The only way to reset is to delete the spell from the character sheet and add it again.

I've watched the tutorial videos on this thinking I must be missing something obvious, like having to take a rest of something, but it looks like I should be able to toggle the numbers up and down when in Preparation mode. I thought perhaps something was broken on my installation, but my players connecting to me complain of the same thing. So now I'm really stumped. Please help!

damned
December 20th, 2019, 13:34
Welcome LordMango

I just loaded up a clean campaign and I was able to increase up to the maximum and then decrease again.
Can you confirm what versions of CoreRPG and 2E show in the cat window?
Do you have any extensions loaded?

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 14:34
The only extensions I had loaded were desktop decals, which I unloaded when I discovered the problem and it isn't helping.

2e v2019.12.09
CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.9

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 14:41
I just confirmed that when I loaded a brand new campaign, it works. So that suggests something is corrupt in my campaign. I can't bear to lose all of the weeks of work I have put into building this out, so I'm wondering if there is a way to clean it up

Trenloe
December 20th, 2019, 15:07
What "Mode" are you in at the bottom of the Actions tab? Change to "Preparation" - does that make a difference? If you're already on "Preparation" cycle through the options this and see if that changes anything.

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 15:15
The problem appears in Preparation Mode. I can increase, but not decrease, the number next to the spell name. Cycling through the modes doesn't help. But I loaded a new campaign and it works fine in the new campaign. So that tells me something is wrong with my existing campaign. I've removed all extensions and unloaded all modules except the core books. I don't know what else to do.

Is there a way to create a new campaign and import all of the characters, NPCs and custom spells and classes I've created in this campaign?

Trenloe
December 20th, 2019, 15:26
Please post a screenshot of the PC actions tab showing the issue.

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 15:33
I don't know how to post screenshots here, so here is a URL

https://imgur.com/a/NtBkbo1

As I am taking this screenshot, I am trying to click on the left arrow next to the Bless spell to reduce it from 2 to 1. It won't take. I can increase from 2 to 3, and keep going, but I can't reduce. This happens for all characters, regardless of class, as well as pre-built NPCs I try to load. Clicking on "Cast" when in Combat mode also does not reduce the number memorized.

Trenloe
December 20th, 2019, 16:10
This will more than likely be a data issue in the PC record itself - not in the campaign. So creating a new campaign and importing the characters probably won't help.

Can you export the PC XML (from the character selection screen) and post here. To access the attach files button, click the "Go Advanced" button under the edit window,

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 17:01
Wow. I'm a bit of a computer geek, and I feel like I'm getting stumped on the simple things. I can't find an attachment button (Google Chrome).

https://imgur.com/a/kKi6b6V

Trenloe
December 20th, 2019, 17:37
Wow. I'm a bit of a computer geek, and I feel like I'm getting stumped on the simple things. I can't find an attachment button (Google Chrome).

https://imgur.com/a/kKi6b6V
Ah, you're in mobile mode. There should be a link to view the full site.

LordMango
December 20th, 2019, 17:48
Thanks.

Okay, attached is the character in question, however, keep in mind that this problem exists for all characters and NPCs, so even if I use an NPC that is pre-built in one of the modules, I still can't decrease their memorization for a particular spell, only increase.

damned
December 20th, 2019, 23:52
Character Building is pretty easy....

If the problem persists Id use draga nd drop to quickly rebuild the characters - get the players to do it.
It shouldnt take more than 5 mins.

Trenloe
December 21st, 2019, 04:16
It shouldnt take more than 5 mins.
Unless the PC is a 10th level mage/9th level cleric.

Oh wait, yeah it is... ;)

damned
December 21st, 2019, 11:48
Unless you really know the xml output I reckon that building the character again would be much quicker...
and if the player has been playing thru 19 levels of char progression they probably know their character pretty well...

Trenloe
December 21st, 2019, 11:56
The ruleset developer should look at this - as after randomly changing the spell slots available and clicking buttons I was able to reproduce the issue. There’s some combination of data/actions that results in the code missing event/s and not updating key fields in the database.

I’ll move this to the Classic D&D forum to get more visibility.

LordMango
December 21st, 2019, 16:30
Thanks Trenloe. I suspected as much. I triggered a bug in the code through some combination of things. I'm good at breaking stuff.

As to the suggestion from damned of creating new characters, its a lovely idea but I've already tried. This happens to all characters in the campaign, even newly created ones. It even happens to already pre-built NPCs from the purchased modules. Some piece of data in the campaign has broken the code in a strange way. I'll try to find the other thread and follow it and submit any other data files the developers need.

damned
December 21st, 2019, 23:00
if its reproducible without extensions then yes it should be looked at.

celestian
December 22nd, 2019, 06:04
I'm with family for holidays but if someone can give me a walk through on how to reproduce the problem I'll get it sorted when I can.

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2019, 13:54
I'm with family for holidays but if someone can give me a walk through on how to reproduce the problem I'll get it sorted when I can.
Not sure how to recreate with a definite set of steps, but the PC export in post #12 has the issue.

celestian
December 22nd, 2019, 17:55
Not sure how to recreate with a definite set of steps, but the PC export in post #12 has the issue.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

That's what happens when I try and DL it. (chrome/FF/IE)

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2019, 18:25
Try again; the attachment wasn't approved.

celestian
December 22nd, 2019, 19:17
Try again; the attachment wasn't approved.

Thanks!

I immediately could see the issue.

https://i.imgur.com/5JuPPxx.png

When you renamed the headers for the spells ...

https://i.imgur.com/I1BBsp2.png

That is the issue. The way the ruleset recognizes spells that can be memorized they are in group "Spells". The reason it does this is because items,powers/etc are not the same so I needed to have a set type, which is "Spells" group. Many items replicate spells (and you just drag/drop those into the item group) so I need to know "don't allow memorization of these".

This did expose an issue allowing you to memorize it even tho it's NOT a "Spells" group but doesn't let you remove it because it checks the group on remove ;(

I'm going to experiment with various other ways to handle this check. In the meantime if you set the group names to "Spells" it will work as intended.

celestian
December 23rd, 2019, 05:50
T
That is the issue. The way the ruleset recognizes spells that can be memorized they are in group "Spells". The reason it does this is because items,powers/etc are not the same so I needed to have a set type, which is "Spells" group. Many items replicate spells (and you just drag/drop those into the item group) so I need to know "don't allow memorization of these".

This did expose an issue allowing you to memorize it even tho it's NOT a "Spells" group but doesn't let you remove it because it checks the group on remove ;(

I'm going to experiment with various other ways to handle this check. In the meantime if you set the group names to "Spells" it will work as intended.

I've changed the way this works moving towards how the other rulesets use the "Spells" or "Abilities" Group Type.

https://i.imgur.com/c9jniHz.png

If the Group Type is a "Spells" (looks like a book) and the level is NOT zero and is "Arcane" or "Divine" type it will be considered a spell that can be memorized and the options will be there.

I'm going to try and get this up on the test channel and have sent the request. I'll update when that's been done. I'd like to have some folks test it out before I push to production.

JohnD
December 23rd, 2019, 22:23
Nice work.

celestian
December 24th, 2019, 05:54
I'm going to try and get this up on the test channel and have sent the request. I'll update when that's been done. I'd like to have some folks test it out before I push to production.

This is up on the Test channel now, see this post for full details (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52906-Ruleset-update-on-test-channel-v2019-12-22&p=468957#post468957).

LordMango
December 30th, 2019, 14:21
Thanks so much.

I like the idea of creating a custom group for each spellbook because A. It allows the player to track what spells are in what book (so they don't have to have a separate spreadsheet or whatever) and B. If they want to burn a spell from a book, they can cast it and then delete it. Having everything in the "spells" group mixes it all up. I look forward to the update and thanks again. This ruleset is such a fantastic resource and I look forward to future updates.

celestian
December 30th, 2019, 21:44
Thanks so much.

I like the idea of creating a custom group for each spellbook because A. It allows the player to track what spells are in what book (so they don't have to have a separate spreadsheet or whatever) and B. If they want to burn a spell from a book, they can cast it and then delete it. Having everything in the "spells" group mixes it all up. I look forward to the update and thanks again. This ruleset is such a fantastic resource and I look forward to future updates.

When I saw what you had done it really is the reason I changed how things worked. Your idea was pretty nice (naming spells by book).

The update should be out tomorrow if all goes well.

LordMango
January 1st, 2020, 14:52
The update worked. Thanks so much and Happy New Year to you!