PDA

View Full Version : Altered icons extension?

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 00:12
The FG radial icons disturb me a bit, especially the axe to close a window, and the skull to delete an item, which doesn't fit into non-fantasy settings. I want more universal Office-looking icons, that every new player can recognize at a glance.

I'm aware of this "project", which seems to have been abandoned:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21194-Icon-Replacement-Project-%28IRP%29&p=178290&viewfull=1#post178290
...but these icons are MORE elaborate - not less. 1-2 colors only, is what I'm aiming for.

- Are there more projects like his, or do I have to start drawing icons myself? (I've unzipped the above project, so I basically know how, but it would be very tedious and time-consuming.)
- Maybe somebody can recommend a ruleset which I'm allowed to copy icons from.
- Will/can these custom icons be presented to my players as well?

EDIT:

Okay, I've addressed two icons (after making a separate dev ruleset):
- I simply copied over icon_close.png with icon_closeprogram.png, so it's now an X.
- I created a nice intuitive "P" broadcast icon (attached both with and without the core icon background). It should be inserted into more icons, but that's going to be complicated.

(You can use these icons without even giving me credit. Any FG copyright for the icon background still applies, though - can't do anything about that.)

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2019, 00:34
Nothing I can point to specifically. Such changes to radial menus might be incorporated in various "theme" extensions. I would look at the relevant sticky for your interested ruleset and see if their is a theme that changes the radial icons. I don't recall any claiming to do that, BUT, I don't pay much attention to the theme posts.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 00:47
Nothing I can point to specifically. Such changes to radial menus might be incorporated in various "theme" extensions. I would look at the relevant sticky for your interested ruleset and see if their is a theme that changes the radial icons. I don't recall any claiming to do that, BUT, I don't pay much attention to the theme posts.

I was hoping that the Call of Cthulhu icons would be more fitting for a Call of Cthulhu campaign, but they're almost comedic: Cryptic-looking mythos runes made to be obscure. Guys, sometimes there's beauty in simplicity, and less is more. Art icons are just distracting. You're not meant to navigate a menu and feel like you're immersed in an atmosphere. I'll definitely be using CoreRPG for my CoC campaigns because of the hi-res art alone.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 02:23
...or you can go the other way, and change the icons themselves into "PUB" and "SHA". (The icons are too small to fit more than three letters, or I would have done that. I could try to write blurry text, though, with it being a sort of interpretive smear.)

By the way, how DO you make something shared (as opposed to public)? I can't test the "SHA" icon out.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 03:15
I'm sorry for any offence, but I was actually struck by how ugly low-res the default P and S icons were, and so I cleaned them up to a much more respectable standard.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 04:12
Next up: The "tokenbags", a.k.a. the folders. They're not too pretty, but at least they're filesystem folders.
(Since I made these myself as well, you can share them without giving me or anyone credit.)

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 05:38
I've discovered a problem, though: I want to mod one of the themes - the Simple Brown theme. Am I legally allowed to do that? ...considering there's some copyright statement saying that it requires an explicit permission statement.
...because otherwise I have to invent a whole new theme with hundreds of buttons, just to mod a few things.

Valyar
December 19th, 2019, 10:41
You say the default icons in the rulesets are not immersive and want to replace them with Windows Explorer looking ones? How this is even slightly better... ^_^

RunningHill
December 19th, 2019, 11:27
He didn't want immersive but office-looking icons.

Kossan mu - if you don't distribute your mod then you can ignore the copyright.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 12:06
You say the default icons in the rulesets are not immersive and want to replace them with Windows Explorer looking ones? How this is even slightly better... ^_^

- First of all they're setting neutral, while the bags are specific to medieval settings.
- Second of all, they're discrete - less distracting. I want the bare minimum of graphics. I might actually make the folders two-color outlines later, like the Simple Brown theme buttons, so that they can be recognized as simply the IDEA of all types of cross platform OS folders.
- Third of all, I'm used to seeing these icons, and immediately recognize how they work. Having to learn that an axe means "close", is bizarre and confusing.

...so of course they're better.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 12:11
He didn't want immersive but office-looking icons.

Kossan mu - if you don't distribute your mod then you can ignore the copyright.

Okay, so the next question is then: Are themes automatically distributed to players when they play custom themed campaigns?
...and also: Is there an easy way to mod an extension without making a separate extention?

I'm not even sure how to make a theme show up in the theme select window, but I haven't begun to figure that out yet.

Zacchaeus
December 19th, 2019, 14:12
Yes, any themes used by the DM are automatically shared (they are extensions so extensions get shared). I don't code but it seems to me that you should be able to take any of the theme extensions that are available on the forums and replace the buttons with your own. You might not even need to change the name of the theme. However, having said that, it may not be as simple as replacing the graphics. But I'm sure that by a process of elimination and trial and error you'll figure it out.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 14:22
Okay - I made some cuter, more stylish folder icons now. These actually look decent.
At first I made outline only versions, to blend into the background automatically, but it turns out that the transparent parts couldn't be clicked in FG, and the shaded outline couldn't be manipulated fully in the graphics editor I was using.
...so instead I'm giving you versions that will fit nicely into the Simple Brown theme.

Also, maybe some mod could move this topic to either the Armory or The Workshop, now that it's full of created stuff.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 15:09
Yes, any themes used by the DM are automatically shared (they are extensions so extensions get shared).
...and that might make my theme illegal if there isn't an expressed permission somewhere, and so I might not be able to modify the existing themes.

I'm talking about this quote:

Additional Modifications © Copyright SmiteWorks 2018
- Updated to v2.5 on 1/23 by Moon Wizard

© Copyright Todd Stern 2017 except where explicitly stated otherwise.
Fantasy Grounds is Copyright © 2004-2017 SmiteWorks USA LLC.
Copyright to other material within this Manuscript may be held by other Individuals and/or Entities.
Nothing in or from this XML File in printed, electronic and/or any other form may be used, copied,
transmitted or otherwise manipulated in ANY way without the explicit written consent of
Todd Stern or, where applicable, any and all other Copyright holders.
All rights reserved.

I don't code but it seems to me that you should be able to take any of the theme extensions that are available on the forums and replace the buttons with your own. You might not even need to change the name of the theme. However, having said that, it may not be as simple as replacing the graphics. But I'm sure that by a process of elimination and trial and error you'll figure it out.

No, it wasn't as simple as just replacing the graphics.
I've added the following code to graphics/graphics_icons.xml:

<!-- Token Bag -->
<icon name="tokenbag" file="graphics/icons/tokenbag.png" />
<icon name="tokenbagup" file="graphics/icons/tokenbag_up.png" />
<icon name="tokenbagtop" file="graphics/icons/tokenbag_top.png" />
<icon name="tokenbagshared" file="graphics/icons/tokenbag_shared.png" />
...but the Simple Brown theme still won't change the graphics. It's probably not referring to these names, and I don't know in what file that these refers happen, and my Windows can't search the interiors of files for keywords like "tokenbagshared", or this would be easy.

EDIT:
No, wait. I got it working now. I forgot that the search paths are different in the theme. Still don't know if this is legal, but it works.

Trenloe
December 19th, 2019, 15:12
...and my Windows can't search the interiors of files for keywords like "tokenbagshared", or this would be easy.
Have a look at the info here for some pointers : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset It's geared towards modifying a ruleset, but the principals apply to extensions too. Especially point #2 of the "A few steps to do before getting started" list.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 15:50
In summary, this image is what my little alternations have come to (as underlined in green). Too bad I guess I can't share it with anyone. It's fairly easy to bake my icons into a theme on the user end, though, if that's allowed.

Trenloe
December 19th, 2019, 15:55
Too bad I guess I can't share it with anyone.
You can make an extension that overrides another extension - give it a <loadorder> number higher than the extension you're overriding. If there's no <loadorder> in the original then it will default to 0.

Some info on the extension properties here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/properties.xcp

Then you can create an extension that only includes your own artwork.

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2019, 17:19
I've discovered a problem, though: I want to mod one of the themes - the Simple Brown theme. Am I legally allowed to do that? ...considering there's some copyright statement saying that it requires an explicit permission statement.
...because otherwise I have to invent a whole new theme with hundreds of buttons, just to mod a few things.
SmiteWorks policy is that you can modify their content for personal use all you want. And you can distribute your changes all you want as long as you make it freely available on the forums here and keep (and add to) the copyright statement.

A something like this;

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2019, 17:24
Note, I've never seen that Todd Stern copyright statement. That might just be unique to a theme you started with? (Wimple Brown?). That's not normally there.

Drop SW a note at [email protected] and ask. They might have restrictions on that specific theme itself (since I think they got it from a community dev...)

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 18:56
Note, I've never seen that Todd Stern copyright statement. That might just be unique to a theme you started with? (Wimple Brown?). That's not normally there.
Drop SW a note at [email protected] and ask. They might have restrictions on that specific theme itself (since I think they got it from a community dev...)
It's okay. First off, I read the whole statment, and it says this toward the end (completely contradicting the first part):
"If you wish to use this as the basis of your own theme, all I ask is that you make it available free of charge (Pay What You Want is acceptable)."
...and second off, I made my own little extension addon from scratch now. I'll upload it in a new thread (so that people can find it more easily, because I can't change the title of the topic) shortly.

SmiteWorks policy is that you can modify their content for personal use all you want. And you can distribute your changes all you want as long as you make it freely available on the forums here and keep (and add to) the copyright statement.
A something like this;
I don't get why everyone must have a copyright. I didn't get paid for my so called "work", and I'm just glad if people implement my stuff in their stuff, because that means that they like me. ...but fine - I'll include a copyright then.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 18:57
You can make an extension that overrides another extension - give it a <loadorder> number higher than the extension you're overriding. If there's no <loadorder> in the original then it will default to 0.
Some info on the extension properties here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/properties.xcp
Then you can create an extension that only includes your own artwork.
Thank you. Loadorder was exactly the information I needed.

Trenloe
December 19th, 2019, 19:04
I don't get why everyone must have a copyright. I didn't get paid for my so called "work", and I'm just glad if people implement my stuff in their stuff, because that means that they like me. ...but fine - I'll include a copyright then.
If you don't want to include your own copyright, then that's fine. But if you're using other people's work which is covered under copyright, and you have permission to use their work, then you should include that copyright.

All of the FG community work I do includes the SmiteWorks copyright, I don't copyright my own work - but I do expect people to ask me if they can use their code, only out of politeness and respect for other community developer wishes.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 19:16
If you don't want to include your own copyright, then that's fine. But if you're using other people's work which is covered under copyright, and you have permission to use their work, then you should include that copyright.
Since I found out about loadorder, I built my extension from scratch, and both Simple Brown and SimplePlus now blends just fine.

All of the FG community work I do includes the SmiteWorks copyright, I don't copyright my own work - but I do expect people to ask me if they can use their code, only out of politeness and respect for other community developer wishes.
Well, in practice, people are going to see "Ask me for permission." as "He's just going to turn me down if I ask, or try to sell me the rights, and I'm not a major company, so why bother?". ...and especially XML code is so easy to do that it's like the process of buying a carton of milk at the store. That's why I want people to NOT credit me: It'd just be too much of a hassle for them. ...but in your case, if you do actual work, then I understand.

Trenloe
December 19th, 2019, 19:28
Well, in practice, people are going to see "Ask me for permission." as "He's just going to turn me down if I ask, or try to sell me the rights, and I'm not a major company, so why bother?". ...
My experience, with over 8 years of developing community content for FG, is not like that at all. In fact, with only a very small minority, it's been quite the opposite.

MooCow
December 19th, 2019, 21:21
My experience, with over 8 years of developing community content for FG, is not like that at all. In fact, with only a very small minority, it's been quite the opposite.
That's a bit surprising, but on the other hand you're always at hand, here in these forums where the askers are. I'll be here maybe for a few months, and after that I'll probably stop logging in, and don't want to keep getting emails from people wanting to use my stuff that I made years ago.

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2019, 23:09
Make sure you set your preferences so that you don't get notifications every time a thread is replied to. And, you can just make a statement with anything you publish like "I release this content to the Public Domain." or otherwise indicate your wishes. I know it's surprising, but around here almost everyone spends the few extra minutes to reach out to each other and show some respect. It's part of why this community is so different than most other places on the net :)

MooCow
December 20th, 2019, 03:18
Make sure you set your preferences so that you don't get notifications every time a thread is replied to.
That's actually a problem for me: How do you turn those reply notifications ON? I've scoured the settings without finding such a setting, so I just have to patrol the forum manually, looking for replies. My subscription feed fluctuates vividly before my eyes, and I see occational users disappear beneath the waves of this storm, often just leaving me with a surface of my own replies.
However, turning notifications off, would just leave the rest of the users hanging, waiting for a reply that will probably never come.

And, you can just make a statement with anything you publish like "I release this content to the Public Domain." or otherwise indicate your wishes.
Would that be allowed, if Fantasy Grounds is somehow connected to it? There's one and a half icons that an FG artist has made too.

I know it's surprising, but around here almost everyone spends the few extra minutes to reach out to each other and show some respect. It's part of why this community is so different than most other places on the net :)
You're saying that in an attempt to make me feel safe and welcome, but that's exactly what scares me. I can't bond with humans. Instead they just bond against me. I try to keep to my projects, and be useful, but often that doesn't help.

damned
December 20th, 2019, 03:44
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

MooCow
December 20th, 2019, 06:50
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions
Yes, that's those are the options that I've been going over. My best guess is to turn "Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up" on, and see if that helps. ...but when I think of a pop-up, I think of a whole window pop-ing up.

damned
December 20th, 2019, 07:10
Default Thread Subscription Mode
Instantly, using email

MooCow
December 20th, 2019, 07:22
Default Thread Subscription Mode
Instantly, using email

Oh, you're talking about email notifications. I'm talking about those red icons up top. They only turn red for me when I recieve an instant message and reputation, not when there's a new reply.
There is a subscription feed, but it's very unstable. Right now all the portraits have gone from it, for instance, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes topics flash by in bold, and those I think signals new messages, but they just come and go.

Maybe it could be because I have about 20 random tabs of these forums open. I'm very disorganized.

LordEntrails
December 20th, 2019, 18:01
There is no red icon for threads with new replies. But, you can set the forums so you get an email when any thread you have replied to gets a new reply, but you can also look at all new forum posts and there are a few other options you can use as well from the Forum pull down;

Oberoten
December 21st, 2019, 18:59
It was mostly abandoned due to lack of feedback. What exactly would you prefer it to look like? I have render-time to spare.
- Obe

MooCow
December 21st, 2019, 20:23
It was mostly abandoned due to lack of feedback. What exactly would you prefer it to look like? I have render-time to spare.
- Obe

It's okay - I think I've got this now. Basically I'd like all the icons to be like the folders that I made: Simple, symbolic, setting neutral, windows-looking.
...but it's too much work for you, and I'm making lots and lots of graphical edits on a daily basis anyway, so I'll be getting what I want soon enough.

However, it's always a general style idea for an icon set if you're bored and out of ideas. The only icon sets for modern games seem to be the Simple themes, unless you're looking to buy ruleset extensions, and I'm surprised that the basic FG icons aren't completely void of setting.