PDA

View Full Version : Demo client image loading fails

ty2019
December 18th, 2019, 14:25
I run a game with 4 players, and one of them is experiencing some very odd behavior on their side with their Fantasy Grounds Demo client. We have been running Dragon Heist, and recently when I would share an image, or map, this one player would not be able to see the image. He could see a pin if I placed it on the map, or an arrow, but not the image itself. If he logs out, and back in, THEN he can see the image in his maps/images directory.

We also noticed while checking his loaded modules, that sometimes when he clicked a module to open it, it would not actually open the image of the book, or load it. But, if he logs out and back in, then most of them would work. There is one module that he tried loading that just won't work.

I don't think it's a size of the images problem, because everyone else can see the image immediately, and we tried unloading everything, and just loading a image from the Dragon Heist module.

We even tried completely removing his Fantasy Grounds Demo using Steam, and then also moving his Fantasy Grounds folder out of his AppData directory, and onto his desktop. Once FG Demo was re-installed, and a check for updates was run, it forced a full download of all of the free FG modules to be re-installed.

I have the FG Unlimited license, as does 1 member of the players. The other three use the Demo client.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2019, 14:54
Welcome to the FG forums!

What ISP does the player with issues use?

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2019, 15:45
The other possibility I can think of (though Trenloe's is more likely) is which version of Windows is he running? 32 bit or 64 bit?

ty2019
December 18th, 2019, 18:11
GM (me) using ATT. I went into my router, model 5268AC FXN, and set it to DMZ Plus, today. I will be doing more testing tonight with the player, who I believe is using Comcast. His system is Win10, 64bit. 8G memory. I checked his system, and he's only using about 50% memory. My server is Win10 64bit, 256G memory, 2 proc intel.

Thank you for the help, I will post what I find from tonights "troubleshooting session". It's just so odd that the image gets sent to him, and he can re-log and see it by opening his images folder, but if I share it... nada. But we love the platform, and it allows us all to stay in touch. Old friends from military living in other states :)

Trenloe
December 18th, 2019, 18:16
GM (me) using ATT. I went into my router, model 5268AC FXN, and set it to DMZ Plus, today.
Some info in this post and the rest of that thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51314-FG-won-t-show-any-images-nothing-will-download-but-connecting-seems-to-work-fine&p=462342&viewfull=1#post462342

For a test, try with just that player (and the GM) using Hamachi - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

ty2019
December 18th, 2019, 18:52
Short update:

I was able to work with another player, and bought a module from the FG store, to see if sharing the image would behave the same, and not load the image. I had already set the model 5268AC FXN to DMZ Plus, so there wouldn't be any issues with syn flood protections. I have an interior firewall, and workstation Windows FW, but those I have much more control over.
The second player, was able to open modules, (some open slow due to size), and when I shared content from the recent purchase, the first image showed "Loading" for about a minute or so, but eventually loaded the graphic! I believe the player had to download some of the module data first, to get that image to load. But, every single graphic I shared from that module after that, loaded immediately!

I will test again this evening, with the original player who had the issues with that one module, and the non-cached graphics, but I think the issue was with MY (GM) ATT model 5268AC FXN routers firewall, syn flood protection.

Thank you for the help on this!

ty2019
December 19th, 2019, 16:32
Last update:

I tested with the player who originally was having trouble viewing shared images, as I shared them. He also had an issue with loading modules from the library.

After disabling my ATT model 5268AC FXN routers firewall, syn flood protection, I was able to share anything I needed, and module activation was working fine.

Thank you to LordEntrails, and Trenloe. Your suggestions were spot on!

Nylanfs
December 20th, 2019, 17:25
Horray!