PDA

View Full Version : Adding LOS to imported tiles and resaving in images for future mapping

Hardway07
December 18th, 2019, 03:08
I attempted to search to see if this question had been previously raised but did not readily identify. I have imported some village tiles into my asset images in the campaign bag. Is there a way that I can add line of sight to these jpg and resave them into my campaign bag? I would like to be able to pull over the tiles into different village configurations with the line of sight work already completed so I would not have to repeat each time. Thanks for feedback!!

Zacchaeus
December 18th, 2019, 10:25
There will be. You need to extract the xml data from the LOS file created when you do the LOS and then add that into the module. Currently the tool to do this isn't publicly available but will be in due course.

Neovirtus
December 18th, 2019, 14:29
If I am reading this correctly, that means that long term we should not expect to be able to add LOS definitions to maps and have them saved along with the images? We will require an external tool and go through a module creation process? This seems... less than ideal.

Moon Wizard
December 19th, 2019, 00:21
The campaigns will save the information just fine within FGU, and it will be saved along with all other campaign data.

However, in order to include LOS data with map/tile packs or your own custom graphics, there is an additional XML file that needs to be included with the graphic file to provide the LOS information. This is the tool that Zacchaeus is referring to.

Going forward, since we will be releasing content on both FGC and FGU, all modules will continue to be created for FGC with the additional map meta-data included in the modules to enhance them for FGU.

Regards,
JPG

mattekure
December 19th, 2019, 00:35
Looking forward to that xml tool being released. I've already got some tileset packs I want to convert over to modules with the LOS built in.

Hardway07
December 21st, 2019, 01:26
Zacchaeus, are there instructions for doing this manually? I looked for the xml file on the ones I did and created maps for and the only place I could find them was in the DB.xml. I pulled a copy of that over and deleted all of the information not related to the maps and then saved that in the module directory. It clearly was not successful. Is this process outlined somewhere? Many thanks!!

LordEntrails
December 21st, 2019, 02:27
Zacchaeus, are there instructions for doing this manually? I looked for the xml file on the ones I did and created maps for and the only place I could find them was in the DB.xml. I pulled a copy of that over and deleted all of the information not related to the maps and then saved that in the module directory. It clearly was not successful. Is this process outlined somewhere? Many thanks!!

No. Eventually the tool will be made available to the community. It's not ready for that yet for several reasons. But I believe the intent is to have it ready at or before public release.

srinity
May 16th, 2020, 20:42
Any news on the LOS tool being released? I am working on my own tiles, and like others would like to be able to reuse them. Thanks!

mattekure
May 16th, 2020, 20:43
Any news on the LOS tool being released? I am working on my own tiles, and like others would like to be able to reuse them. Thanks!

Its released.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/260440084/Developer+Guide+-+Extracting+LOS+Data+for+Modules

srinity
May 17th, 2020, 02:39
Thanks mattekure!

debergerac88
June 4th, 2021, 19:36
That link is asking me to create an account for Atlassianor something like that? is this correct? do i need some other kind of account to access this tool for FG?

mattekure
June 4th, 2021, 19:39
That link is asking me to create an account for Atlassianor something like that? is this correct? do i need some other kind of account to access this tool for FG?

The link changed. The LOS tool is no longer needed, its built into the FGU client now. But the wiki is at https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640584/Map+Line+of+Sight+Style+Guide

debergerac88
June 4th, 2021, 20:21
Thanks! i glanced at it, can lighting be changed and saved like the line of sight, etc?

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2021, 20:35
Lighting, line-of-sight, ambient masking, and grid offset/size information should all be stored in the meta data export.

Regards,
JPG

debergerac88
June 5th, 2021, 08:21
Like the original poster, I want to edit tiles to add line of sight and then add them to maps with many building tiles. This allows me to edit a tile (a BSG city bakery tile in this case) but I can’t add it to my city map. Or at least, I can’t figure out how. I want to add line of sight and some lighting to some tiles to reuse on a map with other tiles. What am I missing?

Zacchaeus
June 5th, 2021, 09:33
Like the original poster, I want to edit tiles to add line of sight and then add them to maps with many building tiles. This allows me to edit a tile (a BSG city bakery tile in this case) but I can’t add it to my city map. Or at least, I can’t figure out how. I want to add line of sight and some lighting to some tiles to reuse on a map with other tiles. What am I missing?

It depends on whether these are tiles you have created yourself or obtained from another source, You won't be able to do this with tiles which are already part of the assets of FGU. At least you won't be able to export those but you will be able to use them in any campaign but you'd need to redo any LoS in each campaign.

Assuming that you fall into the first category - if you created the maps in FGU then use the export function to just export the map to a module and you can open that in any other campaign. If you didn't create the maps in Unity but added them from another source then first make sure that you have added them into a campaign; then draw the LoS and then export the metadata for those images in the usual way. This will give you an xml file with the same name as the image. To use these images with LoS add both the xml file and the image to the images folder of the campaign you want to use them in.

debergerac88
June 11th, 2021, 20:23
Can you link the explanation of exporting the metadata? I don’t know how to do it but I’m sure there’s a video somewhere?

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2021, 20:55
Right click on the base map layer in the right hand panel of an unlocked image and select export metadata. Here's the Wiki link https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996645681/Developer+Guide+-+Extracting+LOS+Data+for+Modules