PDA

View Full Version : LFP - White Wolf/World of Darkness - Mage: The Ascension (EST; Day TBD)

Frunobulax
December 17th, 2019, 01:39
FG License: GM has Full so players need at least Lite
Game System: Mage: The Ascension (White Wolf/World of Darkness) Note that this is Mage: The Ascension, NOT the later "Mage: The Awakening."

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: TBD, likely Tues or Thu evenings
Planned Duration & Frequency: Sessions of at least 3 hours, can be more sometimes. The goal is to have at least one session a month. If things go well and the players want to, we can increase the pace.
Term: Long term

Text or Voice: Both, mostly voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? Not unless specifically mentioned at the time.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 90%/10%, i.e., almost all roleplaying, very little combat
Number of Players in game & needed: Have 1 player, will accept up to 3 more depending on applicants
Character starting level & equipment: New characters start at the beginning
Character restrictions: No "evil" characters, double agents, spies, etc. Use of Time magicks heavily restricted.

Women are extra-specially encouraged to apply - we would love a more diverse group than usual!
Initial couple adventures will be "canned" until we run out.
World of Darkness newbies strongly encouraged to apply!
Definitely don't apply to play if you have ever read or wished for a "TLDR". You are not the droid we're looking for.
Details:

The world is going to pieces. It is dark and gritty (think of the setting of "The Crow"). The Powers That Be grow ever more oppressive and repressive, tightening their control, stifling creativity, attempting to mold everyone to be the same, be orderly, obedient, passive, submissive. Things are looking bad. But there are still some forces stubbornly fighting against the Technocracy. Defenders of creativity, freedom of expression, and people who just want to be left the hell alone. They have various perspective and motives and don't always work well together, sometimes squabbling or disagreeing, but they share one thing: they are Awakend. Mages. They have the ability to control reality. They don't memorize or cast static "spells". They use their knowledge and will to change the way reality is according to their desires, in whatever way seems best at the moment. The endless flexibility of magic and your creativity in using it is one of the hallmarks of this game.

Do you love to wear armor and kill orcs? Smash things? Spend endless hours min/maxing your stats and gear? Then this is definitely NOT the game for you! We're looking for true role-players, in the literal sense of the words. To play successfully you will have to come up with a character who is far more than the sum of a few stats. Your character will need a history, a personality, merits and flaws, motivations, strengths and weaknesses, opinions, and all that stuff. Your character will be fully developed as a person before you even start... and then be molded by what happens to them!

Mage: The Ascension is a very different kind of RPG. It stresses the story and the characters above all else. Yes, there are some stats and combat sometimes happens, but the overall experience is more like improv acting than anything else. Disputes are more often resolved by other means than direct fighting. Though that certainly sometimes happens, it's also usually the worst choice for many reasons, not least of which is that you will likely get your *** kicked. Even dice rolling is not all that common. MTA is one of a set of games published by White Wold in the World of Darkness setting back in the 90's. You may remember Vampire: The Masquerade or Werewolf as a couple others. This will be a MTA campaign, but it takes place in the World of Darkness, so other supernatural creatures from those games may well show up!

You don't have to worry (much) about combat skills, equipment, or hit points, but (for example) about whether you're clever and devious enough to convince some powerful supernatural being to side with you in the upcoming war or not. I don't care how many dragons are killed or glory and treasure there is, there's no gaming reward better than finishing a scene where you feel like you played your character really well and advanced the story without having to kill anything (well, threaten, coerce, or torment a bit, maybe ;-). A good session will not consist of killing things, gaining treasure, or gaining power (though all those things may happen). The goal is that when a WW campaign is over, one could write up all the scenes pretty much as they happened and have a pretty good suspense/thriller/supernatural novel.

Some of you have played the World of Darkness games, and people who have are certainly being considered. But it's almost more fun if you have zero experience with the world , so everything seems new and you can discover things gradually. So people unfamiliar with Mage or the other games are encouraged to apply!

If you're a creative role player, love to actually get into a role, take on a personality, think about their motivations and incentives, and play that character in a setting with other characters, and interact largely in words and noncombat deeds, then you should contact me.

To be in this game, you have to be generally committed to acting like a responsible player. This should go without saying but I will say it anyways: we expect, at a minimum, that you will show up ON TIME for sessions. Or if not, let us know as soon as possible in advance if you can't make it for some reason. Life happens, we know, but unexcused absences or other disruptive things will not be looked upon kindly. No "rules lawyers!". Similarly, acting like a jackass, disrupting the game, too much conflict with other players, etc are viewed very dimly. In short, "don't be a ****." And, no, "but my character is a **** and I'm just playing them as they are!" is NOT an excuse.

You also may occasionally be required to do a little "homework", especially at the beginning. The primary homework will be creating your character and fleshing them out into a real person, not a generic set of stats or someone you create "on the fly" during the game. While of course the events will change you, sometimes radically, your character must START as a fully fleshed person. The more time and effort you devote to this and other "homework" will greatly improve your experience and the respect of the other players.

Note: This is a Word of Darkness. Really evil, bad **** happens. A lot of people, NPCs, etc, do Very Evil things. And that doesn't just mean killing or whatever - that demon really *might* be doing something terrible to children. That cop may very well have actually raped that woman. Those people at the next table over might shoot up drugs in front of you. And so on. The game is very much "R" rated. Nudity will likely occur in descriptions or even materials. There may be themes of sex, emotional abuse, intolerance, sexism, racism, you name it. It goes without saying that it will not be gratuitous or show these things in any kind of positive light. I don't expect the game to be filled with this kind of thing, but they exist in the world and so you might encounter them. Perhaps your own character may be involved in such things - it's up to you. If you want your character to have a sexual fetish or were raised by abusive parents, whatever, it will be allowed. Again, if R-rated movies upset you, this might not be the campaign for you. I'm not saying this will be a filthy campaign, I'm just reserving the right to use powerful imagery to drive a point home if necessary. Oh, and while I'm, warning you, the player, ahead of time, your *character* is perfectly allowed to be offended, of course, based on their background and personal beliefs!

I know there are lots of people out there who have played White Wolf games. I expect quite a few responses, and there are only a couple openings as a smaller group is best. If you want the best chance of being contacted, don't just reply to this posting with "I'm interested." PM me and pitch yourself to me. Fail to bore me. I don't care how many years of gaming experience you have, I care about how creative you are and how you conceive of characters. So one-line responses or "game resumes" will probably not get an answer. What will get an answer is something that shows me you Get It. Maybe think of a character - one you've never played in any game! - and give me a quick character sketch of a paragraph or two (you don't have to play them in the game). Maybe write me a letter in-character. A dialogue between a mage and a vampire. Think of ten ways to escape a bullet using magic. Whatever. Use one of those ideas or surprise me.

If we decide you're a good candidate, we will have a voice chat to get to know you a little before making a decision.

Happy Gaming!

D. Finsternis

markjohn
December 20th, 2019, 03:20
Hi, I'd be interested in playing. I have some experience with world of darkness, have played a few games in vtm but want to try the other settings as well.

Sty2000
December 22nd, 2019, 23:01
i'd be inetersted, especially because its' old world of darkness, that and i've never played mage before fully and would like to do so, played vampire and hunter, as well as new world of darkness changeling. so i know a bit about the setting however i might have issues getting my hands on a copy of the rulebook. last time i checked the trove it wasn't fully thre

JadeKraken
December 24th, 2019, 00:34
I would be very interested in joining your game. I've played Vampire through the current V5 edition and Werewolf, however Mage has long been my favorite game that I've never been able to play. It's been at least a decade, if not two since I last read any of the Mage books so I have a passing familiarity with the system/setting. It dates me a bit, but I graduated high school in the mid nineties so I have a pretty good idea of the time period. I realize you haven't set a time/day yet, but my schedule is pretty flexible (after Christmas anyway) and I will gladly move things around on my calendar to fit this game in.

It's just a brief outline for a Celestial Chorus Mage, I'll flesh it out a bit more when I know when and where the game is taking place: Captain John Chamberlin died face down in the mud of a Vietnamese rice paddy in the spring of 1971. If asked, he would say that was the first time he knew what it meant to be alive. He had volunteered to be an Army Chaplain even though he didn’t believe in the war because everyone deserved to hear of the grace of Jesus. That and his draft number came up. Bleeding out in the muck was the first time he had actually heard the voice of heaven. Its song and light filled his soul, and for the first time he really believed.

A few months later, he stood on the sidewalk outside the San Francisco International Airport with his DD-214 and his final pay check in hand and a cheap Army prosthetic on his leg. For the first time in his life he found himself homeless, without a job, and a mission he actually believed in. For the next two decades John served his God on the Streets of San Francisco, mostly homeless and broke, because that’s where his flock is.

General Buttnaked
December 24th, 2019, 13:35
FG License: GM has Full so players need at least Lite
Game System: Mage: The Ascension (White Wolf/World of Darkness) Note that this is Mage: The Ascension, NOT the later "Mage: The Awakening."

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: TBD, likely Tues or Thu evenings
Planned Duration & Frequency: Sessions of at least 3 hours, can be more sometimes. The goal is to have at least one session a month. If things go well and the players want to, we can increase the pace.
Term: Long term

Text or Voice: Both, mostly voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? Not unless specifically mentioned at the time.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 90%/10%, i.e., almost all roleplaying, very little combat
Number of Players in game & needed: Have 1 player, will accept up to 3 more depending on applicants
Character starting level & equipment: New characters start at the beginning
Character restrictions: No "evil" characters, double agents, spies, etc. Use of Time magicks heavily restricted.

Women are extra-specially encouraged to apply - we would love a more diverse group than usual!
Initial couple adventures will be "canned" until we run out.
World of Darkness newbies strongly encouraged to apply!
Definitely don't apply to play if you have ever read or wished for a "TLDR". You are not the droid we're looking for.
Details:

The world is going to pieces. It is dark and gritty (think of the setting of "The Crow"). The Powers That Be grow ever more oppressive and repressive, tightening their control, stifling creativity, attempting to mold everyone to be the same, be orderly, obedient, passive, submissive. Things are looking bad. But there are still some forces stubbornly fighting against the Technocracy. Defenders of creativity, freedom of expression, and people who just want to be left the hell alone. They have various perspective and motives and don't always work well together, sometimes squabbling or disagreeing, but they share one thing: they are Awakend. Mages. They have the ability to control reality. They don't memorize or cast static "spells". They use their knowledge and will to change the way reality is according to their desires, in whatever way seems best at the moment. The endless flexibility of magic and your creativity in using it is one of the hallmarks of this game.

Do you love to wear armor and kill orcs? Smash things? Spend endless hours min/maxing your stats and gear? Then this is definitely NOT the game for you! We're looking for true role-players, in the literal sense of the words. To play successfully you will have to come up with a character who is far more than the sum of a few stats. Your character will need a history, a personality, merits and flaws, motivations, strengths and weaknesses, opinions, and all that stuff. Your character will be fully developed as a person before you even start... and then be molded by what happens to them!

Mage: The Ascension is a very different kind of RPG. It stresses the story and the characters above all else. Yes, there are some stats and combat sometimes happens, but the overall experience is more like improv acting than anything else. Disputes are more often resolved by other means than direct fighting. Though that certainly sometimes happens, it's also usually the worst choice for many reasons, not least of which is that you will likely get your *** kicked. Even dice rolling is not all that common. MTA is one of a set of games published by White Wold in the World of Darkness setting back in the 90's. You may remember Vampire: The Masquerade or Werewolf as a couple others. This will be a MTA campaign, but it takes place in the World of Darkness, so other supernatural creatures from those games may well show up!

You don't have to worry (much) about combat skills, equipment, or hit points, but (for example) about whether you're clever and devious enough to convince some powerful supernatural being to side with you in the upcoming war or not. I don't care how many dragons are killed or glory and treasure there is, there's no gaming reward better than finishing a scene where you feel like you played your character really well and advanced the story without having to kill anything (well, threaten, coerce, or torment a bit, maybe ;-). A good session will not consist of killing things, gaining treasure, or gaining power (though all those things may happen). The goal is that when a WW campaign is over, one could write up all the scenes pretty much as they happened and have a pretty good suspense/thriller/supernatural novel.

Some of you have played the World of Darkness games, and people who have are certainly being considered. But it's almost more fun if you have zero experience with the world , so everything seems new and you can discover things gradually. So people unfamiliar with Mage or the other games are encouraged to apply!

If you're a creative role player, love to actually get into a role, take on a personality, think about their motivations and incentives, and play that character in a setting with other characters, and interact largely in words and noncombat deeds, then you should contact me.

-snip unimportant stuff

I would love to join this game, it sounds really cool. One of the guys at my church sent me this link because he thought I would like to join but I have some questions first.

I’m a pretty experienced gamer and actor, and I’m pretty good with accents on the whole. It throws me off a bit if I’m “in the moment”, using an accent (my Hungarian accent is pretty spicy) and I get talked over by someone not in character. Are you adept at accents? Which ones? Everyone can do French and Russian so don’t count those. Like I said, it’s only if I get talked over. I’m able to reset easily once my dialogue is finished.

I have never played a White Wolf game. Sounds interesting. Was it named after Elric of Melnibone or Geralt of Riviera? I haven’t played it I’d guess you are pretty knowledgeable in the rules and would be the final arbiter. My buddy who sent me this gifted me a Vampire game on steam a few years ago. Will I be able to pick up on some of the rules that way?

Speaking of which, I have been thinking about a backstory for my character. I usually get pretty in depth with my character creation, sometimes writing multi page backstory. When I finish it I could send it to you to see if you can work with it? I’m sure it will give you lots of nuggets to work with. It’s a loose amalgamation of Laszlo from “What We Do in the Shadows”, and Scorpius in Farscape. I think you will find it interesting.

Tuesday or Thursday will work for me but Wednesday would be the best. Is there a way you could automate invites at the right time? I am ALWAYS on time if I remember, so once you set up the correct time maybe you could just automate an invite to meeting schedue and invite everyone. My work does this pretty easily so I assume it would be pretty easy to do and convenient for everyone. My laptop is a bit on the fritz so i have to put it in the fridge to keep it cool for cpu intensive applications so I may have to connect using my phone on occasion. Very rarely probably. Hopefully.

Thanks, admittedly I skimmed a lot of your post, perhaps include a tldr next time and hit the high points. It would be really helpful. I can't wait to join your game. Vampires are really awesome.

If you need to interview me you can look me up on facebook. My name is Ben

terrakat
December 27th, 2019, 06:10
My only experience with WoD is from a once LARP, so I'd be pretty interested in this. My only question is roughly what time evenings would you be running this EST? I work Tues and Thurs and am typically not off until after 5PM PST.

Role playing, creating characters, fleshing them out into people is a passion of mine. I'm a writer, a creator, and I'm looking to play in a game for a long, long time. Let me know if you need any particular information from me to better get an idea of who I am as a player or a person.

-Ace