PDA

View Full Version : tables..how to randomly generate foes

GunbunnyFuFu
December 12th, 2019, 22:20
Good day!

I've been looking around and have found examples of how to generate random encounter tables using FG, however, in one module I'm working on the number of foes to be generate is 10-40, which is 1d4 x 10. How do I express this in a table so that 10-40 foes are generated, or is it possible?

Thanks,

GB

Mortar
December 12th, 2019, 22:39
In the results column
[1d4x10]

GunbunnyFuFu
December 12th, 2019, 22:52
I've tried that, and it only comes up with one foe every time...

Above is the table in question...the last entry is the one I'm having difficulty with. This particular module has many X10 table results!

Thanks!

GBFF

Mortar
December 12th, 2019, 23:03
Try this (works in FGU) [1d4*10] Bandits

Mortar
December 12th, 2019, 23:07
Waiting on Classic to update to experiment there.

Mortar
December 12th, 2019, 23:13
Works the same in Classic

GunbunnyFuFu
December 12th, 2019, 23:14
Looks like it's a no-go in Classic. Still coming up with a single foe (who will die a horrible death at the hands of the PCs :) )

GBFF

GunbunnyFuFu
December 12th, 2019, 23:16
It works when outputting to Chat, however, when outputting to Encounters, it just has the one foe.

GBFF

Mortar
December 12th, 2019, 23:22
I'd say you found a bug.

Kelrugem
December 12th, 2019, 23:28
Did you try the random generator in the encounters window? :) Open the encounter tab and click the "Random" button at the top of the window :) There you create such things :) There is then a field for 1d4*10 :)

EDIT: just tested, did work for me :) Drag&drop the NPC there and write your formula in the provided field :) Then click on generate :)

EDIT2: You can also link them in tables: Use the chat output, click then on the link in the chat (this opens the random encounter) and then click on generate :) In that way you have several random encounters in one table :) (okay, one/two more clicks needed then) Or you use the previous way and just manually type the numbers rolled into the fields. But might be a bit cumbersome when the encounter has some more different enemies :)

Zacchaeus
December 12th, 2019, 23:50
You can do this in a normal table. Drag the NPC into the row and then type in [1d4*10x]. Set the output to encounter. But random encounters is better. Create the random encounters and then drag those into your table to generate a randomly selected one.

celestian
December 12th, 2019, 23:51
Good day!

I've been looking around and have found examples of how to generate random encounter tables using FG, however, in one module I'm working on the number of foes to be generate is 10-40, which is 1d4 x 10. How do I express this in a table so that 10-40 foes are generated, or is it possible?

Thanks,

GB

Here are some examples of how I generate encounters using tables and random encounters.

https://i.imgur.com/3yzlYgN.png

As far as the math you can do in the [xDx???] I am fairly certain you can use [1d4*10x] (the x will make that many of the linked npc types.)

Kelrugem
December 12th, 2019, 23:52
EDIT: Disregard, I said something wrong in this message :D

GunbunnyFuFu
December 12th, 2019, 23:55
Thanks all for the help! Celestian's way was spot on what I needed..now off to make table to terrorize the PCs with in Queen of the Spiders!

GBFF

GunbunnyFuFu
December 13th, 2019, 00:37
Is there a way to do mixed encounters? Say 1 Patrol Leader with X stats, 2 Sergeant with Y Stats, and 10 swordsman with Z stats?

GBFF

celestian
December 13th, 2019, 00:53
Is there a way to do mixed encounters? Say 1 Patrol Leader with X stats, 2 Sergeant with Y Stats, and 10 swordsman with Z stats?

GBFF

The example I listed had 3 columns. That should do it. In the case of the one I showed it's melee brigands, ranged brigands and a brigand leader.

LordEntrails
December 13th, 2019, 00:53

GBFF
Using a random encounter, just add a line/entry for each type and then give each type it's own variable number of creatures. Using one table, just make multiple columns. Or use multiple tables for each type and roll multiple times.

GunbunnyFuFu
December 13th, 2019, 01:13
Thanks!

GBFF