PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Survivor (the BBC series)

donpaulo
December 5th, 2019, 09:12
Greetings, some decades ago I was fortunate enough to watch the BBC tv series Survivors and fell in love with the concept behind it. The show was brought back for a updated version and was almost as entertaining as the first go around. I recently watched it again on YT and decided that Savage Worlds is a great way to experience everything the show covered and more. So I've decided to start the recruiting process to set up a proper campaign and this is my first stop. Many of the episodes were written by Terry Nation. If you haven't heard of Terry, just search him up and you will see his story telling prowess in such shows as Blakes 7, Doctor Who etc.

While I have enjoyed SW as a player, it was some time ago and certainly before SWADE which I backed up kickstarter. Further it was only as a player. So I'm rusty on the ruleset but I reckon that isn't a problem.

I live in East Asia so a convenient time might prove to be a challenge but my current 5e campaign has players from North America, Middle East & East Asia so it is possible to have a truly global group of players.
What is more important is a desire to get into deep dramatic challenges that is Survivors.
I'm currently DMing a 5e campaign and playing in 2 other games on alternate sundays so time is a bit of a premium but I reckon we make time for what is important and I truly want to bring Survivors to life.

I'm looking for some folks who are either interested or ideally loved the survivor series.
If you have experience playing in SW and want to help make this come true that would be awesome too.
The goal is to create great community of online players who enjoy playing as well as getting to know each other a little better.

I hope to hear from at least a few like minded folks who are interested in the idea. Who knows maybe we can all take turns GM together and help build a world up from nothing. I am willing to GM the entire thing if need be. The series really hit a soft spot for me and I very motivated to bring it to life in a Savage World sense anyway

Cheers
DP

donpaulo
December 7th, 2019, 07:06
Here is a link to the first episode written by Terry Nation

The Fourth Horseman
Is the first episode in the series
Thanks to Silurian360 YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAyjkaFYnzE

unfortunately its only at 240p quality

donpaulo
January 12th, 2020, 09:52
Still trolling for anyone interested in joining me for an end of the world Savage Worlds campaign

Daedalus
January 13th, 2020, 20:32
Depending on the day I may be interested.

Are you going to make set it in the 70's and 80's or current day?

vincentprice
January 13th, 2020, 23:37
I'd like to try some Savage Worlds and I know the TV show slightly but I'm in a Euro time zone so it's unlikely your time would work for me but if you can give the day/time you're planning then I can let you know for sure

donpaulo
January 14th, 2020, 01:01
Depending on the day I may be interested.

Are you going to make set it in the 70's and 80's or current day?

I hadn't gotten as far as deciding the setting

both are appealing

I suppose the older version would have a significant nerfing of the comp aspect

donpaulo
January 14th, 2020, 01:02
I'd like to try some Savage Worlds and I know the TV show slightly but I'm in a Euro time zone so it's unlikely your time would work for me but if you can give the day/time you're planning then I can let you know for sure

well we could try to find a mutually agreeable time

Daedalus
January 14th, 2020, 21:32
I hadn't gotten as far as deciding the setting

both are appealing

I suppose the older version would have a significant nerfing of the comp aspect

Doing something more modern-day would be better. Plus the viruses can be more deadly and scarier.

donpaulo
January 17th, 2020, 05:32
I agree, plus something more recent makes it "feel" more real for some reason

Daedalus
January 17th, 2020, 16:26
I agree, plus something more recent makes it "feel" more real for some reason

Maybe you should go on the discord channel for FG and see if you can get more interest for this game

donpaulo
January 26th, 2020, 08:24
Indeed, I should

First I need to cross my T's and dot my I's so to speak. Scheduling and what not as I already am running a 5e campaign on Saturdays and play in 2 campaigns on Sundays :)

I thought I'd troll for interest first and thanks to those who did respond

Next up is to get up and running with SW. I've played it a few times but haven't GMed it yet

Discord channel will be one of my first stops once I commit to going forward with the "project"

best to all and Happy year of the Rat !

donpaulo
March 15th, 2020, 07:51
This whole Covid19 thing has really scratched the itch to move ahead with this thing

davidbofinger
March 15th, 2020, 12:59
I might be interested, and I'm in Sydney which isn't so far from your time zone. Contact me on [email protected] if you have a time. My advice is to try to avoid times that are congested, e.g. anything that's evening weekend in North America.

Daedalus
March 16th, 2020, 00:13
This whole Covid19 thing has really scratched the itch to move ahead with this thing

Again, depending on the day I would be interested. Also, I can vouch for David. He is one of my players in my SW game. He is a solid player

donpaulo
March 16th, 2020, 06:31
Great thanks to you both

I think the best working title at present is to call it

CV19

it dovetails nicely with the current troubles facing us all

Daedalus
March 16th, 2020, 15:34
Great thanks to you both

I think the best working title at present is to call it

CV19

it dovetails nicely with the current troubles facing us all

Yep, and I guess updating it to the modern day works better. Are you going to set it in England where the series is or in the US or where? Any ideas on this?

donpaulo
March 19th, 2020, 09:59
If I am GMing it will be in North America

however in an ideal situation we will have more than 1 gm. We could then have more than one group :)

these separate groups could be in communications via shortwave

John Bull
March 19th, 2020, 18:27
Sounds interesting, I have dice can travel (virtually)
However, a Cthulhu virus infecting the whole world and making citizens go crazy over toilet paper is a bit far fetched. :-)

donpaulo
March 20th, 2020, 10:58
Sounds interesting, I have dice can travel (virtually)
However, a Cthulhu virus infecting the whole world and making citizens go crazy over toilet paper is a bit far fetched. :-)

Its sadly almost perfect timing

I watched some SW videos and using localhost made a character tonight. So at least I got the "simple" stuff down.

I think the next step is to choose a day and time which could be a challenge. Once I decide on that I will post it here

Currently set to take place in 2020 North America, with the option for other GMs to run alternate groups that I can hopefully play in :)

Daedalus
March 20th, 2020, 14:38
If I am GMing it will be in North America

however in an ideal situation we will have more than 1 gm. We could then have more than one group :)

these separate groups could be in communications via shortwave

So it would almost be like a living campaign, when characters from different games can meet and communicate. Interesting

Daedalus
March 20th, 2020, 14:39
Its sadly almost perfect timing

I watched some SW videos and using localhost made a character tonight. So at least I got the "simple" stuff down.

I think the next step is to choose a day and time which could be a challenge. Once I decide on that I will post it here

Currently set to take place in 2020 North America, with the option for other GMs to run alternate groups that I can hopefully play in :)

So right now how many players do you have?

Daedalus
March 21st, 2020, 23:24
Any updates on this?

donpaulo
March 22nd, 2020, 01:46
Other than posting here I haven't done much active recruiting because I'm not ready to GM a game of SW and my schedule is rather full at the moment. Japan is not on lockdown and schools are scheduled to open again relatively soon so things are "back to normal" here.

If my 5e campaign is complete I will be asking those players if they want to play it and there are 6 of them.

donpaulo
March 23rd, 2020, 07:23
I ran some sample combat last night and have a question

but I need to take some screenshots first

Daedalus
March 23rd, 2020, 13:20
I ran some sample combat last night and have a question

but I need to take some screenshots first

No problem, I am happy to answer any questions

donpaulo
March 24th, 2020, 13:53
ok attached is a screen shot from a sample combat

Test Dummy hit the bear with a shotgun dealing a wound

The CT shows the info, so that is no problem

Why is there an apply button ?

I guess a GM might want to skip applying the damage ?

Daedalus
March 24th, 2020, 14:40
ok attached is a screen shot from a sample combat

Test Dummy hit the bear with a shotgun dealing a wound

The CT shows the info, so that is no problem

Why is there an apply button ?

I guess a GM might want to skip applying the damage ?

The apply button is there because the person being shot can use Bennies to remove wounds. You don't want to apply the damage to the person getting hit before they roll to remove wounds or they will have the negative modifier applied to their roll.

Basically, you can roll to negate wounds and if you are successful then the wounds never happen.

Does that make sense?

donpaulo
March 24th, 2020, 14:44
yes perfectly

so it sits there waiting for the wildcard to specify if they want to use a bennie

if they don't use it or don't have one you press the apply

then the auto vigor roll comes in at the beginning of that characters turn

thanks !

Daedalus
March 24th, 2020, 16:34
yes perfectly

so it sits there waiting for the wildcard to specify if they want to use a bennie

if they don't use it or don't have one you press the apply

then the auto vigor roll comes in at the beginning of that characters turn

thanks !

No problem

John Bull
March 28th, 2020, 07:07
Bom gia Don Paulo,
'Id be interested. An old hand at RPG, returned these last 2 years. One of my f2f groups just started a SteamPunk SW campaign but has been rudely interrupted by s plague of mexican beer, so in the process of moving it online but gm is a health worker, so insanely busy.
Based on the Dorset coast. I would be interested if the timings fit. New to playing on FG.
Regards
Zac