PDA

View Full Version : need help with MgT2 Ruleset

antoneagle
November 28th, 2019, 05:42
It's been a long time since I've used FG.

For the MgT2 ruleset, what are the blue boxes in the lower left part of the tabletop used for? The boxes labelled Boon, Bane, +1 through +3, -1 through -3, the attributes, etc.

When I click on them, nothing seems to happen. When I click on them and then roll dice... nothing gets applied to the die roll. How are these buttons used?

And how are the adjacent task buttons used?

Is there a user manual for this ruleset that I missed? And if not, why not?

Please help.

sjard
November 28th, 2019, 07:02
Boon/Bane are somewhat similar to Advantage/Disadvantage in D&D 5e, instead of rolling 2d6 for an ability roll, they make you roll 3d6 and drop the highest/lowest die. +/- 1-3 are to add modifiers to the roll.

The task buttons (easy/average/etc.) set the difficulty of the roll (4 for easy, 8 for average, etc.) and when a roll is made, it will tell you something like <character name> [SKILL] Engineer (M-Drive) (2d+2) (vs Diff. 8 [+5 Effect] [Average SUCCESS]. the previous is literally what it showed in the chat for a test roll.

So far as I know, only the Task buttons work for the GM selecting them with the players rolling. the boon/bane +/-1-3 I think have to be done by the player.

The attribute buttons I believe are an override, but I'm not entirely familiar with what that does yet. I'm new to this particular ruleset (and edition of the rules)) as well.

Edit: I think it only works with rolls used from the character sheet.

esmdev
November 28th, 2019, 11:49
In MGT it is possible that different characteristics can be used with the skills. So you can default to whatever is most common in the skill list (like EDU for engineering) and if the GM requests that you roll INT instead of having to change in the skill you can just click the INT override at the bottom.

Only the GM can change the difficulty. So when as GM you say that is an Average (Int Engineering check with +3 and Bane) the GM clicks the Average difficulty and player clicks bane, +3 and INT override. You have to do your own multiplication for time but that's pretty easy.

I've been thinking lately that it would be easier to have the player adjust the difficulty. I keep meaning to bring it up but forgetting. Hopefully he'll see this.

On the subject of manual I'm not sure what the plan is. I'm fairly experienced with using FG so things are fairly intuitive for me but I can see how a new user could encounter difficulty. It is definitely something that should be considered. Maybe a starter module like the one that comes for 5E or just another reference manual with screenshots. Whatever format it should probably wait until after 1.0.3 is released.

antoneagle
November 28th, 2019, 22:34
Okay... but the problem I am having is that clicking on those buttons is having no affect on the roll... whether done by player or GM. How do you get those modifier buttons to actually add to the roll? Right now, FG is essentially ignoring those buttons down there (other than the difficulty button - which is working).

What do I need to do to get the above describe automation to actually work? And again... WHERE IS THE MANUAL?

sjard
November 28th, 2019, 22:36
Are the characters in question in the Combat Tracker?

Which manual? the 2e rulebook module should be in library/modules. the manual for using the FG ruleset... may not exist just yet.

antoneagle
November 28th, 2019, 22:38
Never mind... I figured it out. Those modifiers only work when actually grabing a skill off the character's skill list, and rolling that way. They have no effect on just a normal roll of the dice.

esmdev
November 29th, 2019, 01:53
At its core, Fantasy Grounds is designed to use die rolls that come on the character sheets, NPC sheets or combat tracker. That is not just for this ruleset but for all of them. Most rulesets don't have the robust modifier options that are available in the Traveller ruleset which is both helpful and adds complexity to the system. The NPC sheet is weak and for that reason being redesigned but once done will hopefully resolve the last major outstanding problem I've seen with the core system.

I'm not sure how helpful this is but I found that understanding how FG operates help me to focus on the sheets and only use the dice when needed as exceptions.

I'm at my PC so I did some testing, while the click buttons do not work with the pick up and roll method, the modifier (far left) does work with the pick up and roll dice method. You just need to click it and enter your modifier and you can roll away.

antoneagle
November 29th, 2019, 18:22
Thanks for the reply... it's good to know that this ruleset is in active development. Nice job so far. :-)

MadBeardMan
November 30th, 2019, 12:52
At its core, Fantasy Grounds is designed to use die rolls that come on the character sheets, NPC sheets or combat tracker. That is not just for this ruleset but for all of them. Most rulesets don't have the robust modifier options that are available in the Traveller ruleset which is both helpful and adds complexity to the system. The NPC sheet is weak and for that reason being redesigned but once done will hopefully resolve the last major outstanding problem I've seen with the core system.

I'm not sure how helpful this is but I found that understanding how FG operates help me to focus on the sheets and only use the dice when needed as exceptions.

I'm at my PC so I did some testing, while the click buttons do not work with the pick up and roll method, the modifier (far left) does work with the pick up and roll dice method. You just need to click it and enter your modifier and you can roll away.

Modifiers are standard FG 'code', so they work with the pick up and drop dice. The Task Difficulty isn't standard, I've added it in, I *might* be able to see if I can hook into the desktop dice roll, but I'm be vary of that, I use the desktop dice for other rolls, for example, if I need to randomly assign something to a character, I'd roll the desktop dice without wanting it to apply the task difficulty.

Cheers,
MBM

Jim Bennett
December 1st, 2019, 00:29
A current post...Great...we are both beginning with MgT2 Ruleset....now you are likely far more experienced than I am...btw...western Canada here...and over 70 yrs of age on earth....aside from that have been player in 3 online games on RollD20 this last year...but just gravitating over here to FG....have also purchased "BOWMAN ARM" module to learn and play with on my own....cause I really am a novice....I am the cook!!!! in current RollD20 game.... you and others can find me at [email protected]

LordNanoc
December 3rd, 2019, 13:42
I've been thinking lately that it would be easier to have the player adjust the difficulty. I keep meaning to bring it up but forgetting. Hopefully he'll see this.

I'ld second that. We had the campaign running under 1E but switched to 2E. My players where quite surprised, that they couldn't change the diff anymore. :) But no hassle, this is not my highest priority. As long as anyone can set it, it is ok ...